Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 180928 times)

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #580 on: July 31, 2023, 08:06:30 PM »
This was my experience, YMMV

after they tossed your food, what did you do?

how does it help if they can only inspect 1 person at a time?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 08:12:31 PM by nirc »

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 31, 2023, 09:24:46 PM »
how does it help if they can only inspect 1 person at a time?
If they are checking one person's things, they let the machine continue to run and they let everyone else go by without looking at the machine. So if you timed it right and lingered just a tad and waited for them to check out someone's things, you could potentially be able to slip it by them...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 09:36:12 PM by Jb93davis »

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 31, 2023, 09:35:34 PM »
after they tossed your food, what did you do?
We had brought some deli and a decent amount of cheese which they let through. (again, anything sealed with a nutrition label, bar code, USDA sticker, etc...they let through). and for some reason, they let 2-3 cooked items which helped for shabbos.
We ended up stopping at walmart to find as many great value (walmart brand) products as possible (which were basically all imported from america). We used the Costa Rica kosher list to find simple ingredient products to eat (even without a hechsher. This is what many countries use since they can't support getting hechshering on all products like we have in the US) like noodles. We basically ate noodles and cheese for many meals and we also were able to find frozen salmon at many groceries which we used (no hechsher but our Rav allowed this). We ate a nice amount of eggs and potatoes as well.

Oh, by the way, San Jose has a few restaurants and kosher groceries with premade meals and products if I remember correctly. This is by far the best option. We just had two problems: one, we were on a budget and 2, we had to choose between going to walmart or the kosher stores since we had very little time. We didn't want to be on the road late at night since we had a 3 hour drive and were expecting lots of rain....it was definitely a good move by the way because it rained and we spent 2 hours trying to get up a hill to our first airbnb due to a rained out road...

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 31, 2023, 10:48:19 PM »
You can get kosher food from the restaurants/groceries and pay for delivery to airport (or arrange a driver to pick it) in addition to Walmart. Recently did a trip and was great and seamless
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #584 on: August 20, 2023, 03:07:37 AM »

We had brought some deli.... anything sealed with a nutrition label, bar code, USDA sticker
Banking on this tomorrow!
Made sure to get things with the USDA sticker on it for meat... Even printed a USDA paper... Just for show...
I found a government website that ChatGPT told me, said, says USDA is fine... But there's very very little written policy available that mentions anything...
So will see if liberia airport let's my stuff through.
(Assuming I get on my flight before the storm hits LA. )

Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline rcarentals

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: August 20, 2023, 11:07:32 PM »
Ok the good news... We got EVERYTHING through.

The bad news: no real data points for other travelers on policy.

Other than, the liberia airport did not check a single person's luggage besides putting everything through the scanner.
I didn't linger to watch, but in the time I went through, no one was stopped, or being searched.

On another note: had a 7 seater rental res with hertz for 750, Avis, 650, vamos 600 (including liability) and finally, economy for 179.
I knew I had to add LIS... But after running the numbers.. it was 470 for the week, so with CDW Letter in hand, and knowing exactly what I was getting into - I walked in picked up a outwardly clean... But clearly offraoded 4sheel drive 7 seater videoed and photographed everything.. and it needed it. There was damage/crack UNDER the mirror? It was very seamless and easy. Much Quicker than Israel - with the same LIS policy... I was worried they would force me rent two car seats for my 6 and 8yr old.. as they officially say on multiple CR websites it's the law... But they didn't.
Economy seems to be a very big company in guanacaste with multiple bus stops or shuttle stops not sure... But fully branded with their logo.
No other company has so much presence.
All in all, felt like a fair price and straightforward experience.

Stopped at Walmart 6 minutes from the economy rental car location.
Stocked up.

And then 90 minutes to the Jw.
So far so good. Gorgeous hotel, and we got a suite with a plunge pool so feeling pretty happy right now.
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline rcarentals

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 26, 2023, 11:13:38 PM »
Ok the good news... We got EVERYTHING through.

The bad news: no real data points for other travelers on policy.

Other than, the liberia airport did not check a single person's luggage besides putting everything through the scanner.
I didn't linger to watch, but in the time I went through, no one was stopped, or being searched.

On another note: had a 7 seater rental res with hertz for 750, Avis, 650, vamos 600 (including liability) and finally, economy for 179.
I knew I had to add LIS... But after running the numbers.. it was 470 for the week, so with CDW Letter in hand, and knowing exactly what I was getting into - I walked in picked up a outwardly clean... But clearly offraoded 4sheel drive 7 seater videoed and photographed everything.. and it needed it. There was damage/crack UNDER the mirror? It was very seamless and easy. Much Quicker than Israel - with the same LIS policy... I was worried they would force me rent two car seats for my 6 and 8yr old.. as they officially say on multiple CR websites it's the law... But they didn't.
Economy seems to be a very big company in guanacaste with multiple bus stops or shuttle stops not sure... But fully branded with their logo.
No other company has so much presence.
All in all, felt like a fair price and straightforward experience.

Stopped at Walmart 6 minutes from the economy rental car location.
Stocked up.

And then 90 minutes to the Jw.
So far so good. Gorgeous hotel, and we got a suite with a plunge pool so feeling pretty happy right now.
If any is going to be in liberia tomorrow... I'd love to give you a bunch of frozen meat. Flying out 11am. So around 9am happy to meet up near the airport. Pm me.

Offline rcarentals

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 04, 2023, 03:31:13 PM »
Updated the wiki a bit... would be great if we could really update it more.. hard to find a lot of the advice scouring the posts in this thread and people here have contributed a lot of knowledge.
Hopefully we can get this growing into a real useful costa rica resource.

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 21, 2023, 09:27:16 AM »
Thinking of going to CR with family in December.
From this thread it appears that the nicer side is Liberia, although there are many more flights to SJO. Any reason for that?
Also, what would be the best option for a points hotel?

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 11, 2024, 12:59:20 PM »
Where can I see the full price of a car rental including liability

Offline Lou Bob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 11, 2024, 07:19:41 PM »
Where can I see the full price of a car rental including liability
If I recall correctly, only Sixt displays it in their price. Everyone else when you arrive at the counter.
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 14, 2024, 05:03:06 PM »
I'm looking to go with my wife to CR but I only have 5 days Sun-Thursday, from all TR it looks like you need at least 10 days as there is a lot of driving
Is it worth going only for 5 days and what side to pick to start planning LIR or SJO?

Offline met

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 14, 2024, 07:01:12 PM »
Does anyone know if the standard propane tanks for gas grills has the same connection as the American grills?

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 14, 2024, 08:02:05 PM »
I'm looking to go with my wife to CR but I only have 5 days Sun-Thursday, from all TR it looks like you need at least 10 days as there is a lot of driving
Is it worth going only for 5 days and what side to pick to start planning LIR or SJO?

Just don't do as much. We recently did 5 days, mostly in la fortuna and one day on the way back to sjo. Very reasonable in 5 days,  just you can't hit every spot
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 15, 2024, 12:57:35 AM »
I'm in the same situation,

I'll probably spend two days in the arenal volcano area & two days either in the Gauncaste area or Manuel Antonio area (Monteverde looks incredible but I have to be realistic)

I'm flying in & out of SJO

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 15, 2024, 12:59:06 AM »
Just don't do as much. We recently did 5 days, mostly in la fortuna and one day on the way back to sjo. Very reasonable in 5 days,  just you can't hit every spot
Please give us a TR, I need to finalize accommodations & it'll be very helpful

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 15, 2024, 08:12:21 AM »
Feel free to PM me. Same to @Tzadik Nistar

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 15, 2024, 07:51:12 PM »

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135479.0

TR started!

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 15, 2024, 08:16:04 PM »

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 16, 2024, 11:32:54 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the Hechsher of the Chief Rabbi Yitzhak Prober?