Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 179233 times)

Offline Jm1248

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »
Im also renting a car. For 8 days its $270 including everything. Also driving from sjo to the andaz. I think you take the panamerican highway. Its supposed to be gorgeous.
Why so expensive? I saw rates for like 15 bucks a day for an suv. Is it just on my dates? Or are there certain rental companies I should be avoiding?

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »
Also is here any specific reason nobody in this thread heads south? The bottom third of the country is supposed to be amazing - untouched rainforest

Offline gavhaller

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2015, 10:00:43 AM »
Why so expensive? I saw rates for like 15 bucks a day for an suv. Is it just on my dates? Or are there certain rental companies I should be avoiding?
Most of the rates don't include SLI, which is mandatory and like an additional $15 a day or something like that.
I got quoted from sixt, and they are pretty reliable. I can't stand the other companies.

And as for going south, not that many points options- that could be your answer :) But I also heard its beautiful. Trying to plan my itinerary, but I don't want to be driving for 6-7 hours per day.

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »
Most of the rates don't include SLI, which is mandatory and like an additional $15 a day or something like that.
I got quoted from sixt, and they are pretty reliable. I can't stand the other companies.

And as for going south, not that many points options- that could be your answer :) But I also heard its beautiful. Trying to plan my itinerary, but I don't want to be driving for 6-7 hours per day.
I got a quote from fox. Idk anything about it but sixt prices at $350 more for my dates. Beware btw if you don't drive manual - most companies rent manual cars.

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2015, 10:27:08 AM »
I figured that's probably why, but hotels are not that expensive that I would want to base a week & a half trip around the hotel. You could technically sell the points and use the cash to book a hotel elsewhere

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2015, 10:06:53 PM »
Well I tripped on some great news. I was checking flights from fll to the caribbean, and noticed LIR on the SW map. Googles SW to LIR, and they apparently announced a month ago that they'll fly there from HOU starting Nov! I also anticipated these intl flights being much more expensive, but they're not - you can get them for 20k.

Offline alpicone

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »
Cool. I wanted to go to Costa Rica is the summer but when I checked LGA - SJO is said route not available until October. Now I checked BWI - SJO and I see they do fly to SJO already. Hmmm

Offline alpicone

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2015, 10:21:42 PM »
WTH... They actually fly ISP - SJO for only 25k round trip. How did I miss that before. Decisions, decisions.

Offline MAJ

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2015, 02:40:45 PM »
WTH... They actually fly ISP - SJO for only 25k round trip. How did I miss that before. Decisions, decisions.
who flies isp-sjo?

Offline alpicone

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »
who flies isp-sjo?

Southwest. Connects in BWI.

Offline Adam101

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2015, 02:56:11 PM »
Cool. I wanted to go to Costa Rica is the summer but when I checked LGA - SJO is said route not available until October. Now I checked BWI - SJO and I see they do fly to SJO already. Hmmm
That's got to be like the worst time to go of the year. All hot and sticky

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2015, 03:10:58 PM »
Southwest. Connects in BWI.
cool tx

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2015, 05:05:16 PM »
That's got to be like the worst time to go of the year. All hot and sticky
Like most summer vacation spots

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »
Anyone ever in Mal Pais? will be there 7/8-7-13 and looking for tips on activities.

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »
one of the local airlines is Sansa air owned by Lasca/Avianca. Miles and More website says miles can be earned and redeemed on all Lasca flights, yet i cant seem to get Sansa. Any way to do it or cant be done? Would love to add it to my United Award Itinerary.

https://www.miles-and-more.com/online/myportal/mam/ch/program/partner/detail?nodeid=216507311&l=en

Offline cherylnlajolla

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »
Anyone ever in Mal Pais? will be there 7/8-7-13 and looking for tips on activities.

surfing :)  That is why most people go to that area (we were in Santa Teresa last December).  Hike to Montezuma waterfall.

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »

surfing :)  That is why most people go to that area (we were in Santa Teresa last December).  Hike to Montezuma waterfall.
seeing a lot of surfing stuff, never surfed in my life. can i get decent zip lining and other adventure stuff in the area?what about snorkeling?

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2015, 01:54:11 PM »
seeing a lot of surfing stuff, never surfed in my life. can i get decent zip lining and other adventure stuff in the area?what about snorkeling?
From what I understand, snorkeling in costa rica is nothing special unless you go out to cano island which is way outta the way. The big watersport theyre famous for is surfing

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2015, 04:12:50 PM »

From what I understand, snorkeling in costa rica is nothing special unless you go out to cano island which is way outta the way. The big watersport theyre famous for is surfing
ok will focus on other activities than. Ty

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2015, 11:10:23 AM »
Current itinerary:

7/8
JFK-PTY 155am Copa Air J
PTY-SJO 816am Copa Air J  30k United
SJO-TMU 1000am Sansa Air E  $95

Staying in Casa Chamelon in Mal Pais till 7/13 for (roughly) $1611 for 5 nights

Will look into regular local tours, looking for ideas, for now all i have is zip lining, horse back riding and ATV. i have 3 full days to do activities.
Will bring food from Chap n Nosh and order from Kosher Center if food gets taken away.

7/13
TMU-SJO  1225pm nature air E $100
SJO-PTY 230pm Copa Air J
PTY-JFK 627pm Copa Air J 30 K United

(JFK-LAX 2/10 6am free leg in J)