Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 179228 times)

Offline mordechain

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #380 on: January 07, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
Poas Volcano and the la Paz waterfall (and gardens) are on the way back from Arenal to sjo, and make an excellent few hours stop.
Poas is currently erupting, but is safe to visit.
Point Hotel options for a night before flying are better in sjo.
Near LIR point hotels are the Hilton Garden Inn and the El mangroove, which looks pretty good.

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 10, 2019, 10:32:47 AM »
Tickets to Poas volcano are limited now and you need to make reservations online.
The lake has drained and there are constant steam explosions from the crater

Offline rukiddingme

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 14, 2019, 01:23:40 AM »
Thanks to all who have posted with great info.

Looking for advice:  We'll be in San Jose for Shabbos and Friday is a question mark in our itinerary.  (My original plan was Poas Volcano but seems not like a sure thing.)  I've heard the shul is very interesting, but not sure our teens would agree.  There are a bunch of tour operators that go to La Paz Waterfall and Coffee Estate, those may be too long and anyway you're paying for breakfast and lunch which is a waste.  Any recommendations?  Willing to pay for a private guide with transport if anyone has recommendations in that direction.

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2019, 07:37:13 AM »
Get Poas ticket online before you go. An Uber or taxi to poas/ la Paz is about $30 each way. I did Poas, but not la Paz. That's probably your best bet for a Friday, when you'll want to be done before early.

Offline shnoz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2019, 08:21:57 PM »
Anyone ever stay at EL Mangroove?

Offline MrPrime1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 24, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »
i just got back from the westin playa conchal. i thought i would share that i was able to successfully book 2 adults and 2 children (ages 4 and 1)for 240k marriott for 5 nights with no other charges.

it kept giving me an error when i tried booking online. what i had to do was book for 2 adults and then call in to marriott rewards and tell them that i was not able to add the kids online, i asked them to confirm that there would not be an additional charge for the 2 kids. the rep called the hotel and confirmed that kids under 11 do not incur additional charges. i had the rep send me an email as proof

i sent an email to the hotel requesting a crib in the room and they said that i would be charged for the 2 kids, i explained that i spoke to marriott and forwarded them the email i got from the rep and all was fine after that.

YMMV but if your far enough out the points should be refundable

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #386 on: January 25, 2019, 07:32:18 AM »
i just got back from the westin playa conchal. i thought i would share that i was able to successfully book 2 adults and 2 children (ages 4 and 1)for 240k marriott for 5 nights with no other charges.

it kept giving me an error when i tried booking online. what i had to do was book for 2 adults and then call in to marriott rewards and tell them that i was not able to add the kids online, i asked them to confirm that there would not be an additional charge for the 2 kids. the rep called the hotel and confirmed that kids under 11 do not incur additional charges. i had the rep send me an email as proof

i sent an email to the hotel requesting a crib in the room and they said that i would be charged for the 2 kids, i explained that i spoke to marriott and forwarded them the email i got from the rep and all was fine after that.

YMMV but if your far enough out the points should be refundable
Can you share anything about the hotel?

Offline MrPrime1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 25, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »
Can you share anything about the hotel?

the resort is about an hour and 10 minutes from LIR

very large property but you can call golf carts to shuttle you around if you dont feel like walking. you will definitely spot some wild animals. the kids loved the monkeys, coatis, and iguanas.

enormous pool, shouldnt be a problem finding lounge chairs

kids club looked very nice. minimum age is 4 yrs and parents cant stay

the base room is a junior suite which has a pull out couch. not sure i would be comfortable sleeping on it but my 4 year old didnt have any complaints. we were told multiple times that they have full size cribs but when we got there they said thats not true and they only provide pack and plays.

beach is very nice but the hotel does not provide lounge chairs or umbrellas. shade can be an issue later in the day as its pretty difficult to get away from the sun on the beach.

not sure about the kosher situation as we arent very strict but if anybody is wondering the food was very good, especially the italian and Mediterranean restaurants. need to make resos in advance for dinner. very good pizza restaurant by the pool. they did have fresh fruit, bread, and pastries at every meal. room service is also included.

let me know if you have any specific questions

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2019, 03:07:30 PM »
Anyone ever stay at Marriott Los suenos for Shabbos? I've never stayed at a hotel for Shabbos before and wanted to know about sensors and thermostats.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #389 on: February 22, 2019, 11:01:54 AM »
Man this Wiki needs help...

What's with food? What can/can't you bring into CR and where can you get kosher food?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »

What's with food? What can/can't you bring into CR and where can you get kosher food?
Seems like someone wants to use up his anniversary nights before the price goes up on the Andaz

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2019, 11:37:18 AM »
Forgot about Zika. Is that still a thing?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shnoz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »

Flew into LIR a few weeks ago with a full suitcase of Pom meals. They opened my suitcase & went through everything but didn't give me any problems.
I had a smaller bag with some fresh fruit. sandwiches etc they were so focused on the meals they didn't even look at it.

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »

You can bring just about any food they specifically allow any usda or equivalent foods and any store sealed foods. customs inspectors told me any vacuum sealed food will be allowed.

The Walmart has a large selection of kosher foods though american products are expensive, fruit and locally made products are very cheap, beer was the equivalent of 10 cents a can. The bananas were a nickle a bunch and have a better taste difference than pineapples in Hawaii. There is a kosher combo, deli, grocery, restaurant downtown that does catering and delivery arranged before you arrive but charges in US dollars. It is about 10-15 min from Walmart or the SJO if you go their they charge local prices. they have a large selection of meats from Uruguay. Restaurant's food is outstanding and about 8 dollars for a meal and drink. I brought a cooler and filled it with meat which we grilled on grill from Walmart, and cooked shabbos food in a crockpot.
 (prices and information are from 2016)
Ribs
Steak

https://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Food%20and%20Agricultural%20Import%20Regulations%20and%20Standards%20-%20Narrative_San%20Jose_Costa%20Rica_12-3-2013.pdf
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:41:50 PM by yoshyosh »

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 25, 2019, 03:54:13 PM »
Under Chabad hashgacha

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 25, 2019, 06:36:32 PM »
Under Chabad hashgacha
Have a link? Can't read any of that.

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 25, 2019, 06:56:01 PM »
Have a link? Can't read any of that.
They emailed a pdf file. Can I post that on Tapatalk?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 25, 2019, 06:58:27 PM »
They emailed a pdf file. Can I post that on Tapatalk?
Email it to dan@dansdeals.com and I can upload it.

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 25, 2019, 06:59:10 PM »
These should be more legible

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile