Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 177363 times)

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #420 on: August 26, 2019, 08:58:12 PM »
Which Marriott or Hyatt hotels offers heated pools in Costa Rica

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 09, 2019, 07:50:24 PM »
Anyone stay at the W?

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 15, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2020, 07:25:32 PM »
Anyone recommend any airport transfer companies?

Offline isac

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat
« Reply #424 on: February 13, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »
just got back from Costa Rica.

We arranged transfers and airport pickup with hotel, and worked out great. Much nicer and comfortable vans then local car services. they use higher end transfer services....Very happy we didnt rent a car, windy roads with no light at night...

W Hotel was very nice, modern hotel with some local vibe.

Great staff and rooms were newish and had porches with excellent views. They had lots of activities on sight. More hip/boutique style hotel compared to some of the larger hotels.

Springs hotel in Arenal was spectacular, best views I've seen...I was nervous bec wasn't modern looking but it was very clean and updated with a true Costa vibe. Staff was top notch and they were very accomodating with our Pomergranit meals.
They stored it, heated it, and served in their restaurant based on our schedule (they knew  not to open the double wrap and we kept it on the table for "maras Oyin"). 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:29:24 AM by isac »

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #425 on: February 13, 2020, 07:01:09 AM »

We arranged transfers and airport pickup with hotel, and worked out great. Much nicer and comfortable vans then local car services. they use higher end transfer services....Very happy we didnt rent a car, windy roads with no light at night...

Great staff and rooms were newish and had porches with excellent views. They had lots of activities on sight. More hip/boutique style hotel compared to some of the larger hotels.

Springs hotel in Arenal was spectacular, best views I've seen...I was nervous bec wasn't modern looking but it was very clean and updated with a true Costa vibe. Staff was top notch and they were very accomodating with our Pomergranit meals.
They stored it, heated it, and served in their restaurant based on our schedule (they knew  not to open the double wrap and we kept it on the table for "maras Oyin").
no issues with customs bringing in Pom meals?

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 13, 2020, 06:42:27 PM »

Stayed at W for Yeshiva week. Its a great property

Offline Cat18

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 14, 2020, 01:41:15 AM »
Can anyone compare Costa Rica against Panama for a family trip in January? Food and jewish community not important.

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 14, 2020, 01:43:06 AM »
Panama is a Kosher food Mecca rivaling NY & Miami. You may be able to get a schnitzel in Costa Rica
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2020, 08:56:08 AM »
Can anyone compare Costa Rica against Panama for a family trip in January? Food and jewish community not important.
Panama is a Kosher food Mecca rivaling NY & Miami. You may be able to get a schnitzel in Costa Rica

The above is true, but being that you specify the fact that "Food and jewish community is not important." IME If you are looking for natural beauty, wildlife, and nature, CR is hands down a better experience, from hot springs to volcanoes, the National Parks and the abundant wildlife, it is truly one of the most spectacular countries in the world.
Personally, I can't wait to go back this winter.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 21, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »
Ever been to Hawaii?
Negative. Have you been to Panama and CR?

Offline Cat18

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2020, 09:35:28 PM »
Negative. Have you been to Panama and CR?

not yet, but all 3 are on my bucket list. just need to decide on order to visit.

Offline Cat18

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 05, 2020, 12:00:41 PM »
As of November 1, 2020 travel will be permitted from all 50 U.S. states to Costa Rica.

Offline Sboy773

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 21, 2020, 02:40:39 PM »
We have reservations for yeshiva break at the Andaz Papagayo.  Obviously because of COVID we're debating whether to still go.  Costa Rica re-opened to tourism a few months ago and I was wondering if anyone has gone recently and can tell me what it was like (Did they feel safe? Are the tourist attractions open? etc...).  I would also be interested in hearing if anyone is going this January. Thanks.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 21, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »
We have reservations for yeshiva break at the Andaz Papagayo.  Obviously because of COVID we're debating whether to still go.  Costa Rica re-opened to tourism a few months ago and I was wondering if anyone has gone recently and can tell me what it was like (Did they feel safe? Are the tourist attractions open? etc...).  I would also be interested in hearing if anyone is going this January. Thanks.
You might have Minyan at the Andez Papagayo...

Offline Cat18

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 29, 2020, 09:28:13 AM »

Offline lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 13, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 17, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
Itinerary help-----
Dont even know where to start

Arrive
Option 1
SJO Sunday 9 AM

Option 2
Arrive LIR 1 PM

Leave from SJO Thursday Midnight so almost 5 full days (I get bored quick)

Can someone recommend basic Ideas. Want activities, tons of wildlife and a little relaxing
Dont mind basic hiking
 Was thinking of LIR-Andaz-Arenal-Manuel Antonio National Park- SJO but I think its way too much driving...
And on TA they keep saying not to drive at night, is it really that difficult/dangerous? We are leaving at midnight so driving to airport (return car etc) is kind of a must!

TY

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 17, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
Itinerary help-----
Dont even know where to start

Arrive
Option 1
SJO Sunday 9 AM

Option 2
Arrive LIR 1 PM

Leave from SJO Thursday Midnight so almost 5 full days (I get bored quick)

Can someone recommend basic Ideas. Want activities, tons of wildlife and a little relaxing
Dont mind basic hiking
 Was thinking of LIR-Andaz-Arenal-Manuel Antonio National Park- SJO but I think its way too much driving...
And on TA they keep saying not to drive at night, is it really that difficult/dangerous? We are leaving at midnight so driving to airport (return car etc) is kind of a must!

TY
The LIR to SJO sounds pretty good. Driving at night can be perilous. But in the city you’re fine.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 17, 2020, 11:00:56 AM »
The LIR to SJO sounds pretty good. Driving at night can be perilous. But in the city you’re fine.
https://goo.gl/maps/VidjeDA3desSqvv39