Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 177445 times)

Offline yitzyul

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #480 on: December 08, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
I can’t speak to the W as I’ve never been.
The Andaz is an exceptional resort. It is conveniently located 30 min away from LIR in the Papagayo peninsula in a very natural setting within a jungle overlooking the bay, with gorgeous infinity pools. The rooms (even the basic ones, there are suites with private pools) are very large with an appealing design. The service is beyond phenomenal (5/5) and there are activities to keep one entertained for days on end. (Snorkeling gear, kayaks, paddle boards and electric bikes to explore the peninsula are complimentary.)
And right now it is only 20k Hyatt points. (It was 15k when I visited in 2016/17)
Dont waste your time going to the beach there as its disgusting, however they have free shuttle service to their "Beach house", which was nice with chair service and free kayaking etc.

It was amazing to see fish literally just jump out of the water making flips. (you can sometimes here the splash form your room)

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 09, 2020, 01:41:40 PM »
Any way to avoid the $85 pp tax on award tickets? Given the cash price of tickets it’s almost not worth using miles.
Part of that is a $29 exit tax

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 09, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »
Dont waste your time going to the beach there as its disgusting, however they have free shuttle service to their "Beach house", which was nice with chair service and free kayaking etc.

It was amazing to see fish literally just jump out of the water making flips. (you can sometimes here the splash form your room)
They have boat service from the beach to the beach house. (IIRC doesn’t operate Mon. & Tue.)

Offline importantq

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 19, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »
Anybody gonna be in Costa Rica this coming week? Shabbas?
We’re here and happy to help with itinerary and to meet up for Kosher food trades and Shabbas.

Offline sddd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 20, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »
Planning a 4 day itinerary for next week.

Hoping to do:

1) Manuel Antonio 1 day
2) Pacuare River White water rafting 1 day
3) Arenal   2 days

Concerned it may be too ambitious driving wise could use feedback. If I need o drop one thing, would it be Pacuare river or Manuel Antonio. Are either a "must do"
Also, is renting a car recommended? It looks like there are tour operators that will take you from SJO to Pacuare River and then drop you off near Arenal
Also, are there any nice hotels that can be booked with points near arenal

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 20, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »
Planning a 4 day itinerary for next week.

Hoping to do:

1) Manuel Antonio 1 day
2) Pacuare River White water rafting 1 day
3) Arenal   2 days

Concerned it may be too ambitious driving wise could use feedback. If I need o drop one thing, would it be Pacuare river or Manuel Antonio. Are either a "must do"
Also, is renting a car recommended? It looks like there are tour operators that will take you from SJO to Pacuare River and then drop you off near Arenal
Also, are there any nice hotels that can be booked with points near arenal
Going to assume it doesn’t include travel days.
Going to MA or Pacuare would depend if you were looking to do an activity or wanted to see wildlife.
In terms of renting, I’ve found it to be the most convenient way to explore the country. But if you are going for a very short stay and are booking daily excursions, might not be necessary.
I don’t know off hand, hotels one can book with points. But I recommend Kioro (where we stayed) or Tabacon.

Offline sddd

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 20, 2020, 10:03:36 PM »
Going to assume it doesn’t include travel days.
Going to MA or Pacuare would depend if you were looking to do an activity or wanted to see wildlife.
In terms of renting, I’ve found it to be the most convenient way to explore the country. But if you are going for a very short stay and are booking daily excursions, might not be necessary.
I don’t know off hand, hotels one can book with points. But I recommend Kioro (where we stayed) or Tabacon.

Thanks. Pacuare is a must do for us, so we are leaning towards doing one day there and 3 days in the arenal / la fortuna area. Would love to see some wildlife but it seems like its way too much of a shlep to go all the way to manuel..

Offline importantq

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 20, 2020, 11:44:43 PM »
Was just in MA and advice is to skip. Only one trail is open- we did see monkeys and other cool stuff, but definitely wouldn’t shlep just for that.
Package is a must for us too!! Enjoy

If you want to consider something, try MonteVerde instead of MA. We like it better

Offline mdv

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Titanium Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond UA silver DL silver AC 25k Avis PC Hertz PC National EE
« Reply #488 on: December 24, 2020, 05:23:12 PM »
I saw on flyertalk that you need to vaccinate for typhoid and some other good stuff before going to CR . Is that accurate ?
Sorry I don't have any snarky line for this space

Offline Lou Bob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 24, 2020, 06:46:08 PM »
I saw on flyertalk that you need to vaccinate for typhoid and some other good stuff before going to CR . Is that accurate ?
oops. We didn't. Didn't even know. Don't recall seeing that anywhere here.
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Online lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 25, 2020, 03:54:48 PM »
Was just in MA and advice is to skip. Only one trail is open- we did see monkeys and other cool stuff, but definitely wouldn’t shlep just for that.

If you want to consider something, try MonteVerde instead of MA. We like it better
if wildlife is your thing ma is the best in cr even with one trail open, monteverde is one of the most overrated things and the suspension bridge is closed cuz a tree fell on it

Online lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 25, 2020, 03:55:19 PM »
oops. We didn't. Didn't even know. Don't recall seeing that anywhere here.
not true maybe someone wanted a bribe

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 26, 2020, 06:46:20 PM »
if wildlife is your thing ma is the best in cr even with one trail open, monteverde is one of the most overrated things and the suspension bridge is closed cuz a tree fell on it
Monteverde region is one of the best spots in the world for birding. As far as MANP it is a beautiful park with abundant wildlife and a gorgeous beach. (FWIW wildlife sightings are never guaranteed, it isn’t a zoo. And on our most recent trip we saw as much wildlife in the Andaz as MA.)

Offline importantq

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 26, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »

I politely disagree!

Monteverde has been our favorite place. You can go to Santa Elena cloud forest, it's cheaper than Monteverde Cloud forest and has a more hikes/natural trails. Next to it is Selvature park and you can do 8 suspension bridges. Our most fantastic experience. Did a coffee tour, hikes, bird watching, great coolish weather.
For us, Manuel Antonio seemed most overrated!
A

Online lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 27, 2020, 01:51:33 AM »
I politely disagree!

Monteverde has been our favorite place. You can go to Santa Elena cloud forest, it's cheaper than Monteverde Cloud forest and has a more hikes/natural trails. Next to it is Selvature park and you can do 8 suspension bridges. Our most fantastic experience. Did a coffee tour, hikes, bird watching, great coolish weather.
For us, Manuel Antonio seemed most overrated!
A
so you didn't do monteverde nc which what's is famous for i can't comment on Santa Elana as I didn't do it and again if you like to see monkeys and one of the nicest beaches in cr, I'm not sure how ma is overrated it has the most monkeys by far of any park unless you want to say cr is overrated as a whole which i agree with

Online lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 27, 2020, 02:03:29 AM »
Monteverde region is one of the best spots in the world for birding. As far as MANP it is a beautiful park with abundant wildlife and a gorgeous beach. (FWIW wildlife sightings are never guaranteed, it isn’t a zoo. And on our most recent trip we saw as much wildlife in the Andaz as MA.)
monteverde is famous for the Quetzal i saw 10x the birds in carra np ,i even saw more wildlife in the andaz then in monteverde unless you count the raccoons cousin, in ma in the first half hour I saw 8 monkey's minimum and people have had the the same experience as me in monteverde and ma.to each his own

Offline sddd

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 27, 2020, 05:39:15 AM »
just got through customs with lots of meats, had some luck as checker was distracted when our bags went through. Havent gone anywhere yet but to add to the opinnions here my buddy just went and also tought monteverde was overrated. I guess it depends if youre into birds maybe?

Online lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 27, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »
just got through customs with lots of meats, had some luck as checker was distracted when our bags went through. Havent gone anywhere yet but to add to the opinnions here my buddy just went and also tought monteverde was overrated. I guess it depends if youre into birds maybe?
i just whent through a cooler of meat also with no problems is seems raw chicken is more the issue, although it depends on the agent as always. I wanted to see birds that's why I was happy with carra np as I saw alot of cool birds including the scarlet macaw,monteverde only is famous for the Quetzal and I saw one cool blue bird the whole time,I'm just putting a disclaimer out that after covid is over, a place like Piedras blancas might be more worth it just a thought

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 27, 2020, 10:23:09 PM »

i just whent through a cooler of meat also with no problems is seems raw chicken is more the issue, although it depends on the agent as always. I wanted to see birds that's why I was happy with carra np as I saw alot of cool birds including the scarlet macaw,monteverde only is famous for the Quetzal and I saw one cool blue bird the whole time,I'm just putting a disclaimer out that after covid is over, a place like Piedras blancas might be more worth it just a thought
Did you have a tour guide?

Online lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 29, 2020, 02:37:30 AM »
Did you have a tour guide?
no but if you want to go down that road then you can see animal's with a guide that you can't see in monteverde with a guide , so I don't see the point