Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 177382 times)

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #520 on: April 08, 2021, 05:33:15 PM »
Someone told me that they got a permit which allowed them to bring in kosher chicken and meat into Jamaica so I was wondering if CR has something similar instead of trying to smuggle it in.

You can try contacting: Servicio Nacional de Salud de Animal (SENASA) Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganaderķa Phone: (506) 2587-1600 / 2260-9046 Fax: (506) 2296-2976 / 2260-9046 http://www.senasa.go.cr

I have no idea if the below is current:

https://apps.fas.usda.gov/newgainapi/api/Report/DownloadReportByFileName?fileName=Food%20and%20Agricultural%20Import%20Regulations%20and%20Standards%20Country%20Report_San%20Jose_Costa%20Rica_12-31-2019 -- it says:

The Ministry of Agriculture, through its Animal Health Service (SENASA), issued a guide in December, 2016, indicating that tourists and travelers in general may bring up to 5 kilograms of beef, pork, poultry, fish or cooked or cured processed meats from the United States as part of their baggage.  Certain requirements apply including the following: the product must be declared in the customs form issued to travelers, the product must come from a federally inspected processing plant, the product label must be legible, and the product must come in an appropriate container for its conservation.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 08, 2021, 10:37:05 PM »
You can try contacting: Servicio Nacional de Salud de Animal (SENASA) Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganaderķa Phone: (506) 2587-1600 / 2260-9046 Fax: (506) 2296-2976 / 2260-9046 http://www.senasa.go.cr

I have no idea if the below is current:

https://apps.fas.usda.gov/newgainapi/api/Report/DownloadReportByFileName?fileName=Food%20and%20Agricultural%20Import%20Regulations%20and%20Standards%20Country%20Report_San%20Jose_Costa%20Rica_12-31-2019 -- it says:

The Ministry of Agriculture, through its Animal Health Service (SENASA), issued a guide in December, 2016, indicating that tourists and travelers in general may bring up to 5 kilograms of beef, pork, poultry, fish or cooked or cured processed meats from the United States as part of their baggage.  Certain requirements apply including the following: the product must be declared in the customs form issued to travelers, the product must come from a federally inspected processing plant, the product label must be legible, and the product must come in an appropriate container for its conservation.

Thanks!

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 08, 2021, 10:47:13 PM »
Does anyone have a current list of kosher products in CR? Are Coca Cola products kosher there?

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 09, 2021, 12:44:25 AM »
Centro Israelita has one on their website

Offline mordechain

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 09, 2021, 12:48:44 AM »
Just checked, now it's an app, called kosher cis Costa Rica. Very extensive, designed for folks who live there. Good way to learn Spanish!

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #525 on: April 11, 2021, 12:32:24 PM »
Someone told me that they got a permit which allowed them to bring in kosher chicken and meat into Jamaica so I was wondering if CR has something similar instead of trying to smuggle it in.

I just landed in San Jose this morning. I put in my luggage through the x-ray and the officer immediately told me - open up this bag, do you have salami in there?
I said yes, and I showed him - I had 2 pound Beef Salami and two one pound Kilbasa. He looked at it and pointed to the label next to the OU Glatt symbol -  "U.S. INSPECTED AND PASSED BY DEPATME4NT OF AGRICULTURE", and he told me as long as you have this label you are good.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 11, 2021, 05:43:34 PM »
I just landed in San Jose this morning. I put in my luggage through the x-ray and the officer immediately told me - open up this bag, do you have salami in there?
I said yes, and I showed him - I had 2 pound Beef Salami and two one pound Kilbasa. He looked at it and pointed to the label next to the OU Glatt symbol -  "U.S. INSPECTED AND PASSED BY DEPATME4NT OF AGRICULTURE", and he told me as long as you have this label you are good.

Good to know, thanks

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 13, 2021, 10:19:33 PM »
Good to know, thanks

Furthermore, no need to take along meat with you -- they have local shechita here - went into a restaurant / store called "The Kosher Center" - and it tasted fresh and delicious.

They have a few page menu, and you can also buy raw meat. They have entire freezers filled with meat and chicken.  I asked the owner of the restaurant, from where the meat comes from, and he was very knowledgeable and explained to me that it's from local shechita.  They have a Satmar shochet that flies in from New York -- majority of the meat goes for export to the US - but he personally goes down to the shechita to select the supply for his store. 

The beef is labeled - Natural Beef - Minimally Processed, no Artificial Ingredients, No Preservatives.  - the price chart is on their website.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 13, 2021, 10:29:44 PM »
We are going to be 4+ hours away from San Jose that is why we need to bring food.

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 13, 2021, 11:22:53 PM »
Also, in San Jose airport -- as you enter the baggage claim area - there is an ATM - I attempted to withdraw an equivalent of a few dollars, but the commission fee plus exchange rate that it showed - made it ridiculously unworthy. Uber from the airport to my accommodations 8km away - my credit card was charged $7.18.  Just in the airport, the unofficial pick up area - one needs to exit - cross over the street, and take the escalator upstairs.

Uber is technically not 100% legal -- but past few days, I have been taking 4-5 rides a day and had no issues. 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:35:03 PM by Saulius »

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 13, 2021, 11:32:54 PM »
We are going to be 4+ hours away from San Jose that is why we need to bring food.

I guess you are flying into Liberia airport then -- I am sure you can contact the store via e-mail or Whatsapp - and make some sort of arrangement for delivery. I came in for medical tourism, plastic surgery and dentistry - so not much of a vacation for me.

Also, make sure to arrange for medical insurance before your trip. You MUST first get gov't clearance - by answering an online questionnaire and uploading the required insurance documents. (Else they will not let you board the plane)  https://salud.go.cr/step1 -- The immigration in Costa Rica gives visas now only for the length of your travel insurance coverage.  I used Trawick. https://www.trawickinternational.com/travel-insurance-plans/costa-rica-travel-insurance

-- So if you have a chance to stay longer than planned - make sure to book the insurance for longer - else it's a hassle to get the visa extended once in the country.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 15, 2021, 12:16:19 PM »
I guess you are flying into Liberia airport then -- I am sure you can contact the store via e-mail or Whatsapp - and make some sort of arrangement for delivery. I came in for medical tourism, plastic surgery and dentistry - so not much of a vacation for me.

Also, make sure to arrange for medical insurance before your trip. You MUST first get gov't clearance - by answering an online questionnaire and uploading the required insurance documents. (Else they will not let you board the plane)  https://salud.go.cr/step1 -- The immigration in Costa Rica gives visas now only for the length of your travel insurance coverage.  I used Trawick. https://www.trawickinternational.com/travel-insurance-plans/costa-rica-travel-insurance

-- So if you have a chance to stay longer than planned - make sure to book the insurance for longer - else it's a hassle to get the visa extended once in the country.

Did you choose that travel insurance because it gave you the lowest rate?

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 15, 2021, 12:16:47 PM »
Has anyone rented a car from LIR that was a 6 or 7 seater?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 16, 2021, 12:06:33 PM »
Did you choose that travel insurance because it gave you the lowest rate?

It was the most recommended on the other travel forums for US travelers, and considered among the cheapest. - If you want the lowest possible rate, put in $0 for Trip Cost.

https://portal.trawickinternational.com/quote/product/153?agent=9480
"Covers trip cancellation from $0 up to $100,000 and includes $250,000 Primary Medical with coverage for Pre-Existing Medical conditions on plans purchased prior to or with final trip payment. $2000 Trip Delay includes lodging expenses. The optional Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) provides reimbursement for the percentage of the prepaid, non-refundable, forfeited payments you paid for your trip, if you cancel your trip for any reason not otherwise covered. Must be purchased with initial policy and within 21 days of the initial trip deposit date, and the full, nonrefundable trip cost is insured. "

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 16, 2021, 05:33:24 PM »
It was the most recommended on the other travel forums for US travelers, and considered among the cheapest. - If you want the lowest possible rate, put in $0 for Trip Cost.

https://portal.trawickinternational.com/quote/product/153?agent=9480
"Covers trip cancellation from $0 up to $100,000 and includes $250,000 Primary Medical with coverage for Pre-Existing Medical conditions on plans purchased prior to or with final trip payment. $2000 Trip Delay includes lodging expenses. The optional Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) provides reimbursement for the percentage of the prepaid, non-refundable, forfeited payments you paid for your trip, if you cancel your trip for any reason not otherwise covered. Must be purchased with initial policy and within 21 days of the initial trip deposit date, and the full, nonrefundable trip cost is insured. "

Thanks, I just bought it for our trip.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 16, 2021, 09:05:19 AM »
$65 in Airport in Liberia -- https://ticotimes.net/2021/03/29/costa-rica-lab-offers-at-airport-covid-tests

You can also order Covid home test kits before you leave the US - it's $150 for a pack of 6 tests https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack     - Do not open the kit - till you are ready to test. The US owned airlines accept it (except Spirit and Sun Country ) see: https://costa-rica-guide.com/travel/health-safety/self-test-for-travelers-returning-to-the-u-s/ and google emed costa rica

See also: https://costa-rica-guide.com/practical/documents-requirements/covid-testing-requirements/

Has anyone used the 6 pack of emed testing kits for a family as opposed to for just one person?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 25, 2021, 09:45:43 AM »
Considering a trip to costa Rica thanksgiving time. Any preferences SJO area and LIR areas? Edit to add this would be 2 families with a combined 5 little kids.

Offline elimmm

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 08, 2021, 10:39:12 PM »
What's the updated covid rules for CR?
Also, is everything fully open? Any mask rules?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 09, 2021, 12:56:14 PM »

See: https://mytanfeet.com/costa-rica-travel-tips/visiting-costa-rica-during-the-pandemic/ -- this page is regularly updated

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 09, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »

We just came back from CR. You need travel insurance that covers Covid to get in, everything is open and most stores and activities require masks.