Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 176628 times)

Offline BrooklynCPA

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Costa Rica Master Thread
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »
We are considering a trip to Costa Rica this July. Has anyone ever been there? Please post your experiences, places, hotels........
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:21:19 PM by Dan »

Offline steve2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:10:45 PM »
 Been there numerous times, the only Jewish communityy is in SJO (actually in a suburb) However there is no reason whatsoever to actually spend any time itself in SJO at least as a tourist

Although small theres tons to do and see alll according to ones interests, your question is way to broad to answer as is, why not specify how long youd be there and what you are looking to do. also are you looking for a Resort location? do you have any Status with any hotel program

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
there should be a shliach there, why not ask him, or check out the website...

Offline ORD747

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United 1K/Star Gold, Aegean Blue/Star Silver, Marriott Gold, Starbucks Gold
Pesach in Costa Rica
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
We are considering going to Costa Rica for Pesach next year. We have friends who did it and really liked it. On TripAdvisor, the page for the hotel the program uses contained 2 very negative reviews of this years program. has anyone done it? What are impressions/thoughts of it?

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:41:59 AM »
Here is my Costa Rica trip report. I went with my wife late March. We flew with 12.5k miles on AA using BA direct from JFK to SJO. Stayed at the Aloft hotel that night on C and P. Nice hotel for SJO.

Next day we went to Manuel Antonio National Park which is a 2.5 hour drive. I rented from the airport a jeep. Not cheap. Stayed at Hotel Villas Nicolas a small hotel with stunning views of the Pacific and the jungle. Our room had a huge porch overlooking the ocean complete with a hammock, couches, a glass table and chairs and candles etc. Room was very cool too, very airy and you feel like you are in paradise. Since it is a smaller hotel the pool which was stunning was almost always empty. That night we did a mangrove boat tour. We had monkeys jumping around the boat and on top of us literally. Next day we did tour of the park which has alot of cool animals etc then we hung out in the park beaches which were out of this world. They sell cocunuts cut open on the beach to keep you hydrated.

Next day Friday we drove to this town called Fraijanes (3hr) and spent Shabbos there. Sunday we went to Volcan La Poas and saw the lava iniside the crater, as the view is from higher up. It was a very cool experience. Then we went to La Fortuna and did a hike on the volcano there that afternoon.

Monday we went to Nicaragua and spent the day there. Was such an experience. We went from a town called Los Chiles and hired a boat to take us by river to Nicaragua. We got back to Costa Rica later that night and went to the hot springs in La Fortuna. Tuesday we left La Fortuna and drove to Monteverde (2hr dirt roads) which is a huge cloud forest and hiked a little and then did the coolest horseback riding for 3 hours for 30 bucks. We got to gallop around and see the rural side of Costa Rica. Used a company called Desafio.

Then we drove to Liberia stayed at the Hilton for 100 dollars and flew the nesxt day back to NY thru Miami for 15k AA miles.

Offline aarony

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »
what did you do for food? did you take all along with you?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:04:11 AM »
what did you do for food? did you take all along with you?
We brought it with us including a small crockpot and kishka for shabbos day! We checked all the food in a cardboard box so that we would not have to shlep it back with us and we anyways got one bag free. We put steaks etc in a cooler and we had no problems. There is food in San Jose but we did not want to waste time running around the city which has alot of traffic and is hard to find your way in.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
Costa Rica Thanksgiving Trip Planning
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »
I just reserved tickets on UA for Thanksgiving weekend departing Wednesday 11/21, returning Tuesday 11/27 for $274.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Thanksgiving Trip Planning
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:18:25 PM »
I just reserved tickets on UA for Thanksgiving weekend departing Wednesday 11/21, returning Tuesday 11/27 for $274.
Nice! Given those prices it's really worth it.

Offline CholentTheTraveler

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, United, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
Re: Costa Rica Thanksgiving Trip Planning
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:41:58 PM »
You have to go on the zipline there(over the waterfalls), it is something well worth waiting for!

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
can anybody be more specific on which cities are must do and where did you stay. i booked a dif trip with jetblue to liberia so also interested on stuff to do on other side of country

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 10:44:04 PM »
can anybody be more specific on which cities are must do and where did you stay. i booked a dif trip with jetblue to liberia so also interested on stuff to do on other side of country
When are you going and for how long?

Are you staying overnight in Liberia?

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 11:19:47 PM »
I flew into liberia last year and stayed in guanamar, one of the best vacations I have had.

Some things to note, most roads there are not paved renting a "non-SUV" will make travel very slow. Hotel Guanamar was great! I used the expedia $50 coupons and ended up paying $12 per night and that included breakfast. It was not by a far stretch a luxurious hotel. view from hotel tons of really nice beaches and surfing spots nearby. There are also plenty of "jungle zip lines" ect ect..
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:39:12 PM by E »

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 11:28:07 PM »
one of the best vacations I have had.
After your HKG trip of course!

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
When are you going and for how long?

Are you staying overnight in Liberia?

i am going in the beg of janurary. im not sure where i am staying yet. have to decide on itenarary and then book hotels or condos around where i will be that day. would love some help. would love to relax plus get in some of the beautiful forest and wildlife.

like should i do a day in areanal or montevedre

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 10:36:52 AM »
@ fan of dan would love to hear your advice

going sun morning and leaving thurs afternoon. not enough time but this is what the wife agreed to :)

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »
@ fan of dan would love to hear your advice

going sun morning and leaving thurs afternoon. not enough time but this is what the wife agreed to :)
You should have enough time to get in some scenery as well as have time to relax just don't try to do everything.

Did you mention you are flying in and out of Liberia? If you are that is much better than SJO as it is not as complicated to find your way there. GPS is worthless in Costa Rica btw.

The 2 most popular sites in CR are Arenal for the volcanoe and activities and Manual Antonio for the beaches, rainforest and activities. There are also beaches closer to Liberia in Guanacaste CR but I would go with Manuel Antonio. The beaches there are in the national park and are in front of these huge tropical forests.

Monteverde is nice but IMHO overrated

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
I'm flying in and out of Liberia.

So I think It makes sense to first go to arenal and then work my way back to liberia and stay on some beaches in guanacaste. It looksvlikevmauel Antonio is very far and much closer to San Jose so won't try to do that?

Did you go to arenal?vwhere did you stay and what did u do

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
I'm flying in and out of Liberia.

So I think It makes sense to first go to arenal and then work my way back to liberia and stay on some beaches in guanacaste. It looksvlikevmauel Antonio is very far and much closer to San Jose so won't try to do that?

Did you go to arenal?vwhere did you stay and what did u do
Yes that is smart to go to Guancaste. Manuel Antonio is way further though it does have killer beaches and the rainforests. Maybe save it for next time, tough call. Keep in mind that the drives there although long are very scenic. Get a 4wd if you can. Keep in mind that insurance in mandatory there even if you have credit card.

I did go to Arenal will tell you about soon just gotta run for now.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
im thinking of doing two nights and having a base around arenal and then drive to one of the beaches by gunacaste and stay there the other 2 nights.

what do the people have done costa rica think