Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 176601 times)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »
im thinking of doing two nights and having a base around arenal and then drive to one of the beaches by gunacaste and stay there the other 2 nights.

what do the people have done costa rica think
That is the best way to do it. It is also worth doing the beaches at the end so that you can relax. Since you are flying into Liberia that really makes the most sense. Are you planning on spending any night in Liberia? It is a boring town but we stayed there on the night before our flight. There is a really nice and affordable Hilton there which compared to standard Costa Rica lodging is really nice.

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
You have to go on the zipline there(over the waterfalls), it is something well worth waiting for!
I was there a couple of years ago and I went ziplining in a place called Monte Verde, they say that it's the nicest there.

Offline steve L

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »
So I found a grt house on home away near arenal but she wants a min of 3nights @150 with privatevpool  . She is willing to do 2 nights but more money

So I was thinking maybe it makes sense to do sun afternoon till we'd morningish and then drive to gunacastevarea for last day to relax. But bec with my short time I think maybe to spend more time by arenal doing activities vs just sitting by the beach

What do u think

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »
The drive to Guancaste from Arenal will take you longer than you think as you have to drive around the entire lake arenal which is windy and one lane, at times you can stuck behind a truck etc for a really long time. Figure a couple of hours, maybe 4. So you will not have that much time for relaxing.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 10:46:08 PM »
Ok so would you recommend two or 3 days in arenal doing zip lining hiking water rafting.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
@fandan. Did u like arenal and what did u do there

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 12:19:58 AM »
@fandan. Did u like arenal and what did u do there
The first thing I did was a hike through the lava fields at the foot of Arenal. Worth it but make sure to decline the guide they offer, not worth it.  We went to some hot springs in the area at night. If u want i can tell u about a free place. We spent a full day doing a very worth it trip to the Rio Frio which is a river at the town of Los Chiles in Northern Costa Rica. We hired a private boat there and they took us on the river to see troops of howler monkeys, many different types of birds etc. then the boat took us to the border town of San Carlos which is located in Nicaragua. The whole thing was super cool a real highlight of our trip as many people go from Arenal to see the river and we got to check out Nicaragua as well. Just the border crossing was an amazing experience. Nicaragua is so so cool and I would never stay there because it is so 3rd world so was a good way to see it. We had a tour guide who took us around the city as part of the package.
We didn't do horseback riding there because we did it in Monteverde but for you I would say to do it by Arenal. A lot of people do zip line there we didn't end up doing it (we got sunburned at the beach and didn't want the harness to aggravate it).
Didn't go rafting. If you want a tropical vacation then don't spend all your time at Arenal it is really worth it and cool but isn't in a tropical setting.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
@fan Dan thank u so much for your advice

Do u think there is enough to do by arenal for 3 days ? I also want some tropical but afraid to much time doing that bec can get bored vs spending time doing activities   I can spend time by guanacaste but sounds like the only things to do is beach related stuff

THX for your help and advice

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
@fan Dan thank u so much for your advice

Do u think there is enough to do by arenal for 3 days ? I also want some tropical but afraid to much time doing that bec can get bored vs spending time doing activities   I can spend time by guanacaste but sounds like the only things to do is beach related stuff

THX for your help and advice
My pleasure.

What time would you arrive in Arenal on Sunday and what time would you depart on Wednesday.

If you have just Monday and Tuesday in Arenal then the Monday morning I would do a hike through the lava fields at the foot of Arenal. In the afternoon you can do a zip line with a canopy tour. Tuesday you can go horseback riding in the am to a really nice waterfall (forgot name) and then in the afternoon you can find something to do on Lake Arenal or something else. Maybe do a river tour of the Rio Frio they have many tours going from Arenal. Then Wednesday first thing in the morning you can go to Guancaste. Not a bad arrangement. If you are dying to go to Monteverde then you can do it Sunday if you have time it does not require a full day, I just do not know what time you land, note though that it is alot of extra driving.

Another option for Monday or Tues is to drive to Volcan La Poas which is about a 2 hour drive and if you get there before ten am when the clouds come in you can see the inside of a volcanic crater and actually see the some coming out of it.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 09:12:15 AM »
@fan dan

i arrive 2 pm sun aft and leave thurs aft 2pm.  ilike your itinerary for arenal.

not dying to go to montevedre.  i just want to get the rain forest feeling with all the animals and activities. i think i will drive straight from lir  till wed morning and then drive to guanacaste wed morning and chill out there for a day on the beach

did you go to guanacaste area? know any good place to stay?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
I did not go to Guancaste at all as I did the beaches further south. You mention that you wanted to see rainforests. I thought I would mention that in general at Arenal there is not so much of what you would call rain forest. There are some animals, though also not as much as you would think. The real rain forests are really further south and on the Carribean coast. You will still find smaller areas especially near the base of Arenal that are rainforest.

Offline steve L

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »
thx fan dan.

so it seems bec im flying in and out of lir that i should stick with arenal vs driving further to places where have have gone

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
thx fan dan.

so it seems bec im flying in and out of lir that i should stick with arenal vs driving further to places where have have gone
Right I would stick to Arenal and Guancaste not worth going elsewhere. If you want to see animals we did very well on the hike at the base of Arenal.

It is worth it IMHO to fly in and out of LIR at any case as you will have a much more relaxing flight and rental car experience.

Offline wonderlust

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
i will be flying in2 sjo for week debating manuel antonio or Guncastce-any thoughts? also can you buy propane grill in country?

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
I started this post in April 2010 and we are finally going to Costa Rica this January. We are flying into LIR on Monday, renting a 4x4, driving to Arenal and will be there until Thursday (2 full days) then driving to Manuel Antonio until Monday. We are flying back from SJO.

We are looking to get the most out of our time and do activities that are unique to Costa Rica. If anyone has any tips as to the best activities and companies to go with please share.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:58:57 PM by BrooklynCPA »

Offline SGF

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
I'm considering a trip to central america for 5 days that has many nice activities and nature seeing and also looking to relax at the beach, is this the right place?
How are the beaches there,  nice? Clear blue water? Or just a regular beach?

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with bringing in meats, chicken, dairy..... I am getting mixed messages about what is allowed and have heard they can be strict and confiscate.....

If you've been been to Costa Rica please tell what you brought in. Also, I am flying into LIR and was told they can be stricter because its a small airport.

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »
I'm considering a trip to central america for 5 days that has many nice activities and nature seeing and also looking to relax at the beach, is this the right place?
How are the beaches there,  nice? Clear blue water? Or just a regular beach?
The Pacific side has nice beaches with big waves, ideal for surfing, while the Caribbean side has nice beaches closer to what your looking for, nonetheless if I was looking for nice beaches I wouldn't necessarily go to Costa Rica.

Offline SGF

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
The Pacific side has nice beaches with big waves, ideal for surfing, while the Caribbean side has nice beaches closer to what your looking for, nonetheless if I was looking for nice beaches I wouldn't necessarily go to Costa Rica.
Thanx, I'm not looking to go for the beaches mostly for the activities, just wanted to know what they are like.

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
Thanx, I'm not looking to go for the beaches mostly for the activities, just wanted to know what they are like.
There are some nice activities e.g. zip lining. I just think that Costa Rica is overrated, and that the reason why Amercan's travel there is because they feel safer there than in other Central American countries .