Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
Fan Of Dan, BrooklynCPA, momo Part 1, momo Part 2, lechaim2life, eliteflyer, Pbaruch, Rcarentals (Guanacaste)

Bringing food/meat through the airports:
  • San Jose Airport SJO - customs are known to be ruthless here with meat. There are many stories in the forums and online of people having all their meats or kosher travel meals seized at customs.
  • Liberia LIR - Recent experiences were that LIR customs didn't check anyone at all.
The general advice which is the only method that seems to consistently work, is bringing in specifically USDA certified products. For example most hotdogs will have an actual USDA certification printed on the hotdog packet. Some companies like Teva, Agri in various supermarkets and most manufacturers have the USDA certification and approval number printed on the label. This is rarely the case for supermarkets who repackage and butcher things themselves and do not have a USDA-certified processing room.
There have been reports of stickers like the USDA organic stickers regularly used to label meats in supermarkets working as well if they look like THIS
In the most ideal world, your food has a clear description of: The product, the nutrition, and a USDA label on the manufacturer packaging.

In a worst case, food can be airshipped to anywhere for a fee - for example from one of the SJO kosher suppliers to Liberia for example the JW Marriott for around $400.

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
  • SKCR/Super Kosher has takeout under the local Chabad rabbi.
  • The Israeli restaurant in Jaco may not be acceptable for many.  It is my understanding that while they get some meat/chicken from Chabad, they have no hashgacha.
  • Supermarket Automercado has pas yisroel bagels in the freezer per the Chabad rabbi in tamarindo - may or may not be tamarindo specific.
  • Walmart is 6 minutes from Liberia airport, and has tons of American, kosher products and snacks.

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

West side/Liberia

Hotels:
The JW Marriott Guanacaste has amazing suites. If you book there, it's worth speaking to the reservations department before or after to see if you can negotiate an upgrade for a small fee. They offered off the base room, an upgrade of $175 a night for a suite, or $200 for a suite with ocean view, and plunge pool.

Getting Around:
A 4 Wheel drive here is mandatory. Not just because the humidity and rain create muddy and slippery roads, but mainly because the potholes here, are really huge and bad, and your car needs clearance to drive... The roads in costa rica are absolutely terribly maintained. they are completely manageable with a SUV - but expect a ton of bumps and thousands of potholes - almost the entire country is made up of 2 lane roads including highways. All overtaking is done in the direction of opposing traffic. cars here are seriously used and abused - so when you pick up your car.. it's worth going for one with as low mileage as possible.

Notes:

ALL CAR COMPANIES CHARGE MANDATORY LIABILITY INSURANCE. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints from tourists who don't know and consider this a tourist trap - like Israel.
CDW here often REQUIRES the letter - more than Israel.. so have that prepared.

Author Topic: Costa Rica Master Thread  (Read 177371 times)

Offline tdb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica Master Thread
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2014, 03:10:58 PM »
 we stayed at the Andaz in early January and the hotel bought us a brand new fridge and microwave so we can heat our food,. We did not have to pay any fees for this. WE stayed our first 2 night using the 2 freed nights with hyatt card that we signed up as diamond members as a result of a 60 day match from hilton gold. The award night was for the  Anadaz Large Suite which was amazing with a private plunge pool. the remainder of our stay was on points for 22k a night and we were "downgraded" to a regular suite also very nice.

I also highly recommend going to the beach at peninsula papagayo the hotel offers free shuttle. http://www.peninsulapapagayo.com/

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:15:18 PM by tdb »

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »
I also stayed the Andaz for 4 nights in January 2014.  No one was there and we felt like each guest could claim and entire pool or beach for themselves.  We took Relaxation Beach and were the only ones there for two consecutive days.  The water is perfect and pretty bouyant (moreso than San Diego or Hawaii) --- I just floated on my back with my waterproof ipod for hours. 

TIP:  During daylight hours there is a free shuttle around the Peninusula.  We took it to the Four Seasons one day and spent about 4 hours there.  The hotel was much busier had a nice swimming beach with waves.  As the Four Seasons is pretty remote everyone assumes your are a guest there while visiting so they offer you the free treats by the pool and beach (i.e., frozen fruit bars) and you can use the loungers. 

While the Four Seasons was nice, I thought the Andaz was better.  The pools are definitely better at the Andaz. 

Offline Rachela81

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Costa Rica (Shabbat in San Jose)
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
Hi -
Any feedback on spending Shabbat in San Jose?  Where to book a hotel? Is La Sabana area safe? Feedback on shul/chabad/meals/etc?  Or any other minyan/kosher food in other parts of Costa Rica? Thanks!

Offline MLM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
I am staying 4 nights in August. I currently have the Hilton Pappagayo for 60,000 points per night, thinking of staying 2 nights in Hyatt Andaz using free nights. Anyone have experience with the Hilton?

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »
Not sure if this was posted but apparently the andaz papagayo is now a category 4 from a 6

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
Anyone know if there is a Chabad and/or kosher food in Liberia/Andaz Papagayo?

Offline mrcoolcom

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »
anyone have the manager of andaz costa rica phone number?

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2014, 12:55:32 AM »
Anyone gonna be at the Andaz next Tuesday and Wednesday. I have a reservation as a Plat, trying to figure out food.

Offline ueaiouioei

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »
I just booked 10 days in January at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo at 15k point/night. Looking for flights now.
Live life to the fullest

Online momo

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
Anyone know if there is a Chabad and/or kosher food in Liberia/Andaz Papagayo?
NO and NO

Offline ueaiouioei

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
NO and NO

No kosher food as in no exclusively kosher stores or No kosher food as in the local supermarkets don't carry any american kosher products? Most places I've been to, even remote carribean islands, have supermarkets fully stocked with regular american products and have huge kosher selections.
Live life to the fullest

Online momo

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »
No as in no prepared food, cannot answer regarding products in supermarkets, although the closest "supermarket" to the andaz is around a 20 minute drive.

Offline heimishbrisker

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
NO and NO
I'm not so sure about that. I'm heading to CR next week here's the list I found from the orthodox community. http://centroisraelita.com/en/kosher-2/products.html many products and eateries are listed there.

Online momo

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2014, 12:18:05 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. I'm heading to CR next week here's the list I found from the orthodox community. http://centroisraelita.com/en/kosher-2/products.html many products and eateries are listed there.
Near Liberia????

Offline heimishbrisker

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2014, 12:34:05 AM »
Near Liberia????
What near Liberia?

Online momo

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2014, 12:38:27 AM »
Andaz

Online momo

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2014, 12:39:39 AM »
What near Liberia?
The question was is there kosher food near the andaz. The answer was no.
No as in no prepared food, cannot answer regarding products in supermarkets, although the closest "supermarket" to the andaz is around a 20 minute drive.

Offline heimishbrisker

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2014, 12:45:09 AM »
The question was is there kosher food near the andaz. The answer was no.
Well then that is my answer regarding supermarkets. (I just noticed that their website is temporarily down. It's a good thing I have already printed it.)

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2014, 05:16:03 PM »
Anyone ever stay at the Hotel Punta Islita, autograph collection?. I have a stock of marriott points and was looking at this hotel. Or have you stayed at any other marriott hotel in CR?

TIA

#TYH

Offline Hlnsa

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2014, 12:13:16 AM »
Trip Report: LIR Airport and Andaz Papagayo

LIR: A few people already discussed their airport experiences but I'll share mine. Our luggage didn't come on our flight and was sent the next day. There were people at the hotel who said they had no problem bringing in homemade, cooked food but when someone at the Andaz called his friend in customs and we described/showed pictures of the Pomegranate meals, they said they would confiscate it. We rented a car and drove to LIR from the hotel and managed to convince an AA supervisor to arrange for us to go behind security and back to the baggage claim area. My food got stopped by customs and I had to beg with them not to take it away. It helped that they couldn't read or understand a word of English so Meatballs and Corned Beef became Pasta via a translator. Another family wasn't so lucky and had a lot of their food taken away. Bottom line is that you need to get lucky and try to move out before they realize what is going on or get the guy that let everyone else go. They seem very disorganized and unprofessional so even packing your food in a toy box or with more official packaging can also work.

Andaz: The hotel is very nice and modern while trying to give the feel that you are in a jungle-type atmosphere. We stayed in a suite (Room 521) and had the same issues @momo described with privacy and the view. You can see into pretty much every suite from the path and the views of the bay are all somewhat obstructed by the trees. The room decore, lighting, and amenities were described perfectly above so no need to elaborate.
The hotel is very spread apart and the entire property is very hilly. We were there with less than 25% occupancy so they were driving people up and down the road to the pools, Spa, and dining room for breakfast. There are 3 main "family pools," all infinity pools that wrap around the area behind the main restaurant. They aren't overly large but they were all very nice and we always had at least one pool to ourselves due to the limited crowd. There is also an adult pool at the end of the road (also an infinity pool) which is also very nice. All the pools overlook the bay but the views are obstructed (like the rooms) by the trees.
The hotel is on the top of a hill and if you hike down the path behind the pools, you will get to the black sand beach. This beach is the activities beach where you can rent kayaks, snorkel or paddle board for free for an hour (or more depending on demand). You can also rent Jet Skis and boats at this beach. We actually saw whales breaching when we were there and some people rented jet skis to go see the whales up close. From their reports back, it was an amazing experience. The other beach is behind the rocks and over to the right. At the hotel, they call that beach the white sand beach and it is just intended to be used for relaxation (no activities are offered there). We didn't make it out to that beach as the black sand beach was empty and didn't want to do the extra walk. I should add that the beach is on a bay which is really nice because the water is much calmer and you can just go out and swim without any resistance from waves.
Finally, some points about the food. We are Hyatt Diamond and had breakfast for free. At this hotel, breakfast is offered at the main restaurant and we chose the buffet option every day. They had fresh fruit and delicious fresh squeezed fruit juices (I recommend both the mixed fruit and watermelon juice) which we ate every day but were charged different amounts. The way it works is that you get billed then and it gets taken off (besides for tip) when you check-out. Our last day there, two plates of fruit and two cups of fruit juice came out to $86 (not including tip). I don't know how they get these prices (our first day, the same thing was $41) but I would advise to be careful tipping off the final bill without understanding it because you actually pay for that. As far as the food we brought, I went back and forth with the manager Michael Schmid via email and he wouldn't agree to waive the $25 per person, per meal charge to freeze and store our food. I ended up buying a cheap toaster oven from Target the night before I left and I cleared out my mini fridge and was able to store 18 Pomegranate meals. Luckily for us, another family was upgraded to the Presidential Suite with that had a full fridge and freezer and let us store our food there so it all worked out. We even had a mini DO our last night there where we pooled our food with a third family and ate on their amazing deck overlooking the pools and bay. Again, my advice would be to deal with Michael over the phone as opposed to email because people seem to have had better luck with negotiating the cost of storing/heating and upgrading to better suites (with plunge pools) over the phone.
I know this was long but wanted to cover as much as I could. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

We are going to the andaz papagayo from 1/1/15 to 1/11/15. Can u please give me michael Schmids phone number and email? Thank you