Author Topic: United Miles -- transfer from card?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline southernbelle

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
United Miles -- transfer from card?
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
We have a lot of miles with United but they they cancelled the routes we were hoarding miles to travel on.  Now we dont want all these miles and want to cancel the United credit card but what can I do with them so they wont expire?  We are flying Southwest and Jetblue more often now.  One idea is to save the miles for a future international trip but do I have to hold the card to keep them miles active?

Offline Ez

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: United Miles -- transfer from card?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »
The best way is to do some online shopping thru their shopping mall, as this will add a few points to your account and extend the expiration date of your miles

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:39:57 PM »
We have a lot of miles with United but they they cancelled the routes we were hoarding miles to travel on.  Now we dont want all these miles and want to cancel the United credit card but what can I do with them so they wont expire?  We are flying Southwest and Jetblue more often now.  One idea is to save the miles for a future international trip but do I have to hold the card to keep them miles active?
you will need to do some activity on your united card every 18 mos to do that follow ez idea (dont wait till last day it can take a looooong time to post)

Offline southernbelle

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:19:36 AM »
But do we have to keep the card?  There is an annual fee.  If I shop through the skymiles shopping will that keep a regular milage account active if there is no linked card?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:21:15 AM »
But do we have to keep the card?  There is an annual fee.  If I shop through the skymiles shopping will that keep a regular milage account active if there is no linked card?
i assume u mean mileage plus and if u do  then yes

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
Why don't you churn the card? Open another United Milage Plus in a few months and combine the two FF accounts. Am I missing something here?

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
You can ditch the credit card - your mileage account is linked to it, but is nevertheless a totally separate entity. Once detached, the mileage account will need activity once every 18 months.

You can shop from UA's portal, as has been mentioned, or redeem magazine subscriptions for a couple of miles. Or, if you get the Chase Sapphire (or know someone who has one), you can transfer 1,000 points (instant) just before the 18 months are up.