Author Topic: My Laptop Was Stolen. Anything I Can Do?  (Read 5115 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: My Laptop Was Stolen. Anything I Can Do?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 12:08:08 AM »
Might also want to monitor eBay/craigslist if it's distinctive enough...

Damn, can't believe I've never heard of that one... I've had this one on a flash drive for a couple of years.

D@mn, I can't either :P you're losing your mojo :P

With ERD/rainbox tables you can crack the PW (vs overwriting it) which will allow you to access anything Windows encrypted using the login password (e.g. encrypted My Documents folder).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »

With ERD/rainbox tables you can crack the PW (vs overwriting it) which will allow you to access anything Windows encrypted using the login password (e.g. encrypted My Documents folder).
:)

Hmm, I used to use Ophcrack in the occasional case that I needed to do that. I'm more of a Linux guy these days :D

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
Might also want to monitor eBay/craigslist if it's distinctive enough...

Good point, but a) that takes longer, and b) I'd bet 95% of people do not use Windows encryption on their computers, and those that do, probably use something stronger.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 12:10:35 AM »
Damn, can't believe I've never heard of that one... I've had this one on a flash drive for a couple of years.
+1, that's what I've been using, too, which is pretty straightforward. Is ERD better?
ERD has a lot of other options other than PW recovery. Its made my microsoft

Here is what its uses is for

Offline DH Data Recovery

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
oph crack doesn't work well for windows 7.
another cool Password bypass software is part of MRI cd made by geek squad. This is one of the best cd that a tech can have. Between that and an old version of Hiren boot cd - the new ones removed most of the good tools - you should be covered

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
I think there are too many computer places in the area to contact. Also, those who care would figure out that there's something fishy going on.
Y and B
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »
Unhelpful to the OP, but just FYI, my son's Macbook had Lojack fro Laptops installed on it (software version, not embedded within the firmware like in a pre-order Dell machine).

It was stolen from his bag this past June, and that evening, the thief installed a new OS on the machine (an upgrade to Lion OS on the Mac).  When I logged onto LoJack's website (Computrace) the next day (he waited until the next day to tell me), before even calling them to initiate an attempt to recover it, I found that the Laptop was registering on their network, with an IP address and several locations where it had been used (approximate locations), but most useful was that the thief, when installing a new OS, put in their real name as the "Owner" of the machine.  So when I logged into Computrace, it told me that it was connecting to "Barbara Smith's MacBook Pro".  I let LoJack and the local police know that someone named "Barbara Smith" may indeed be the thief who stole my son's computer....and as it turned out, there was a new employee at my son's school named "Barbara Smith"......and the rest is history.

And from what I gathered, when you have LoJack installed, they can take time to accumulate information from the computer to build a case against whoever stole it, and to help them find the computer -- for example, I'm pretty sure they can see screen shots from the laptop once it has been reported stolen (if it actually connects to LoJack's servers), so that they can wait until you order something online, for example, or write a paper for school with your name on it, etc....

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 01:32:51 PM »
Amazing!

"And the rest is history..." What IS the history?

Did she get fired?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
Amazing!

"And the rest is history..." What IS the history?

Did she get fired?

She got fired immediately, we pressed charges, she was arrested and put through the system, and she plead guilty to Grand Larceny.  According to the Detective assigned to the case, she really showed remorse (at least since she was caught -- her installing a new OS that evening doesn't show much remorse), and according to both him and the prosecutor, she had no prior record at all.  She was even a college student and was working in the school PT to make some money.

So while we pressed charges on the advice of a friend who was a NYC detective for 30+ years, and on the advice of a friend who is a Brooklyn ADA, we had Rachmanus and went so far as to ask the Prosecutor to be as lenient as she felt was warranted (she said my phone call was rather unusual, and that usually, she gets calls asking for maximum punishments).  If it was truly a first offense, and a dumb mistake, I didn't want to permanently screw up her life (her father is a hard-working Dominican immigrant, she was going to college, etc.)  Her case was plead down to an administrative violation of some kind, and from what I understood, if she had no further incidents with the legal system in the next 6 months or a year, the record of her arrest on the theft would be gone (I think that's what they described).

I would think (and hope), the experience of going to the police station to plead guilty, getting handcuffed, and spending the night in a holding cell would teach her a valuable lifelong lesson.  Those we consulted suggested that it was important that she go through the system -- she could do the same thing over and over again if everyone just said -- "poor kid made a stupid mistake", and decided not to prosecute.  Also, I was advised that the Detective would not have much incentive to investigate and try to recover the laptop if we didn't say that we planned to press charges (which I suppose makes sense).

It was an interesting experience overall -- but among other things, showed me the usefulness of programs like LoJack for laptops.  There are others that accomplish the same/similar. 

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »
Thanks for the history!

Yeah, what you referred to above is colloquially called an ACD, an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal. If she stays out of trouble for, usually, 6 months, the case against her for stealing the lappie will be dismissed.

Offline sawlw

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
Now that I see that its fairly easy to crack windows pw, what program can be used to get better security for windows and/or docs?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
Now that I see that its fairly easy to crack windows pw, what program can be used to get better security for windows and/or docs?
Encrypt your drive

Offline Cholentfresser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »
Encrypt your drive
But wouldn't getting thru the password get you into the unenryped version?

So what would be the best way to secure a laptop as far the data and getting it back? What's the best tracking service to use?
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 04:38:10 PM »

So what would be the best way to secure a laptop as far the data and getting it back? What's the best tracking service to use?
Most decentencryption will not give you access to any data and the encryptiopn kicks in before you even get to windows, This won't help recover your laptop though - only protect your data. There are some free encrytion programs for example truecrypt

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »

Its not a windows password, the data on the drive is encrypted with a 3rd party app, there really is *almost no way to break the password, and even if the drive is removed from PC, still there is no way to access the files.

*almost as there always is a chance with brute force, the encryption programs are made to not let brute force apps work...

A bios password is usually a good option. On dell laptops the bios could be reset, on Lenovo, officially the bios can not be reset (IIRC)

Offline Cholentfresser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »
Most decentencryption will not give you access to any data and the encryptiopn kicks in before you even get to windows, This won't help recover your laptop though - only protect your data. There are some free encrytion programs for example truecrypt
Thanx. I'll keep that in mind when I get my next laptop
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline jack12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »
Do a lot of you have lojack installed on your laptops? Would you say it's worth the $29/year?

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
most ppl don't have it, as a matter of fact most if the ppl that have laptops that came with one yr of lojack free don't even activate it!