Author Topic: Update: Now Resolved! (Delta Ripoff, PLEASE HELP!)  (Read 20154 times)

Offline Mendel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Draft 3
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »
With all due respect to Delta & its executives, I have to say I am truly appalled on the lack of professionalism being displayed by Delta.

You state that “The notes in your record state that you did not meet the New York check-in policy” This I may add was part of the problem. As these notes were written by a disgruntled employee who as a result of not properly doing her job, let alone not being of any assistance to me or to others, wrote this to cover herself. I have ten witnesses who will testify that she is lying.

In fact I am very familiar with your check in guidelines as they are currently posted online and I have adhered to all of them, even allowing more than the recommended time.

Your site recommends check in with luggage at JFK to take place 60 minutes prior to the flight and recommends arrival at the airport 75 minutes prior to the flight. I arrived at JFK approximately 100 minutes before departure (already checked-in online), and was already on the baggage drop-off line 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

The reason I (as well as many other fellow passengers) did not get on the flight was due in part to a malfunction of the luggage conveyor which was completely insufficient to handle the traffic and they were totally backed up with luggage, thus slowing down the luggage drop off. Seeing that Delta was experiencing unusual challenges at the particular time, I alerted & asked the on-site Delta personnel for instructions on how to ensure that I will make my flight and followed their recommendations exactly.

So I have no idea what you mean by “The notes in your record stat that you did not meet the New York check-in policy”. If you have any doubts to the above than by all means please look at the security footage for that time period.

At this point, I will not reiterate the nightmarish elements of my experience. I am a frequent traveler and have never experienced such a lack of basic courtesy and customer service that was & is being displayed by Delta.

I truly hope you will review this matter & set things right. As well as ensuring that the appropriate steps are taken so that I or future customers are not left looking for another airline.

Thank you in advance for your time & attention.

Offline Mendel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Which draft should I go with?
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »

and please post any comments on what's missing

(Yes I realize this is an uphill bottle, but you have to admit that most customers drop their case on that initial generic response, and that results of any type can still come with a follow-up, so I would appreciate it, if people will stop criticizing, and help me make best of a situation which already happened, and I can not change)

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Delta Ripoff, PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 02:55:27 PM »
 About all you can hope for is that it was logged in somewhere that the problem with things not working , otherwise the execs or Agents at CS have no idea

On FT a person had a problem with CO and it wasnt recorded that way so anyone who checked on it wasnt able to know that in fact there was such a MX problem which meant CO was Responsible heres the link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass/1062630-atc-excuse-flagrant-cover-up.html

and heres 1 a sort of like what U went thru: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass/1070120-denied-boarding-rsw-shenanigans.html

my pt is to show U its not only DL, with some time I probably could fill up a whole pg with these kind of things happenin. the only difference is CO has an Exec that watches and reads FT and will go in and check to see what the TRUTH is. Believe me plenty of times people complain and Scott checks it out and reports back that it was 1000% legit, meaning Co was in the Right.

When he finds out CO was in the wrong he makes the person more then Whole. I doubt DL will be doing that anytime soon
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:32:42 PM by steve2 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
On FT a person had a problem with CO and it wasnt recorded that way so anyone who checked on it wasnt able to know that in fact there was such a MX problem which meant CO was Responsible heres the link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass/1062630-atc-excuse-flagrant-cover-up.html
Once you post a link to an 8 page thread you have to link the jaw-dropping detective work that COInsider did for that flight:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass/1062630-atc-excuse-flagrant-cover-up-6.html#post13741556
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass/1062630-atc-excuse-flagrant-cover-up-7.html#post13771853

If only all airlines had a COInsider!

He has taken care of a few issues for me as well, like Mileathon credits not posting.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 03:46:10 PM »
Once you post a link to an 8 page thread you have to link the jaw-dropping detective work that COInsider did for that flight:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass/1062630-atc-excuse-flagrant-cover-up-6.html#post13741556
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass/1062630-atc-excuse-flagrant-cover-up-7.html#post13771853

If only all airlines had a COInsider!

He has taken care of a few issues for me as well, like Mileathon credits not posting.

yep, I thought it would be benefical for people to actually read thru the whole thing to see how people posted about it heres the posts after the post #1 that should be read :

Scotts 1st post on the issue (hes the CO exec on FT) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13741556-post82.html

then heres Scotts explaination after it was checked out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13771853-post96.html

and heres the person who started it all bear in mind this post was written in between the 2 above, Id say most people on DD will have to sit down before reading it (OK even FT as well) as it clearly goes against what the vast majority of the people would do or say ; http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13764250-post86.html  true his outlay was alot less then Mendels but Mendel is going for the Gold (I would too probably) but WL wasnt

Offline Mendel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Another Response from Delta
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:13 PM »
Dear ******,

RE: Case Number 38067

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the service provided while
traveling with us.  On behalf of everyone at Delta Air Lines, I
sincerely apologize for the lack of service you received at the ticket
counter.

It disheartened me to read that you took valuable time out of your day
to sort out something that should have never happened in the first
place.  We appreciate your comments regarding the unsatisfactory
customer service you encountered.  After reading your remarks, I
certainly understand why you wanted to bring this matter to our
attention. I am truly sorry you did not receive the service you expected
and should have received, as we expect our employees to be helpful and
professional at all times.  Please know I will be sharing your comments
with our Airport Customer Service leadership team for internal follow
up.

To demonstrate our commitment to exemplary customer service and as a
genuine gesture of apology, I have added 4000 bonus miles to each of
your SkyMiles account.  Please allow 3 business days for the miles to be
added.

Mr. *****, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.  By
bringing forth your concerns, you give us an opportunity to review our
operations and improve our services.  Please accept my sincerest apology
and rest assured that we will make every effort to ensure things are
handled differently in the future.  As a loyal Delta SkyMiles member,
your business is important to us and given the opportunity of serving
you in the future, I am confident Delta will not only meet but exceed
your expectations.

Sincerely,

Nancy P. Hall
Coordinator, Customer Care
Delta Air Lines/KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Offline Mendel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Draft of my Response (not sent) so I'm open to comments
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »
I appreciate your apology and air miles for the lack of service I received at the ticket counter.

However, I am not simply seeking an apology, but rather restitution for the additional costs incurred to re-schedule our flight.

These are:

4 x $150 or $600 for new tickets
2 x $90 = $180 for taxis from JFK to my home and back to LGA the next day

TOTAL: $780

The amount is only out-of –pocket money and does not include compensation for the stress my family incurred during the entire travel period, so additional considerations, in light of the circumstances, would also be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:26:12 PM by Mendel »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 09:37:55 PM »
 Good Luck, I cant believe they gave you 4k each

Id say the Only way youd see the $780 is if you took them to Small Claims Court but Id think it would end up as a waste of your time., and a loss of a days pay if youre working. And then youd win if they didnt show up but then collecting it is another Story.

Im not a Lair I mean lawyer so I cant comment on what would be , I also dont think you cant charge them for teh days pay youd lose having to be in Court.

Good Luck and thanks for keeping us posted

Offline Mendel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Response I sent:
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
While I appreciate your apology and the air miles you have offered, I am afraid that it does not make up for the inconvenience and extra costs that were incurred due to your lack of service.

I am therefore seeking restitution for the additional costs incurred to re-schedule my family’s flight.

These are:

4 x $150 = $600 for new tickets on Delta
2 x $90 = $180 for taxis from JFK to my home (NJ) and back to LGA the next day

TOTAL: $780

The amount is only out-of –pocket money and does not include compensation for the stress my family incurred during the entire travel period. Additional considerations, in light of the circumstances, would also be appreciated.

Mendel

Offline daganster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2010, 11:32:42 AM »
I experienced a very similar scenario, came late got charge etc.
I emailed them got refunded for the charge and I got 2 two hundred dollar vouchers, one for me and one for my wife.
Always exaggerate when writing to them and request a whole lot. If you don't receive a response quick enough call and throw a shit fit, I did it somehow it worked.

Good luck

Offline Mendel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Response from Delta
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 11:38:22 AM »
Dear Mr.  *****,

Thank you for writing and allowing me the opportunity to further review your concerns.  On behalf of Delta Air Lines, I am genuinely sorry you were dissatisfied with my first response.

The gesture I extended was not meant to place a value on your experience; rather it was an attempt to make amends for your disappointment with our service.  Respectfully, any additional considerations would not be due.  I am sorry to disappoint you, as I understand this is not the answer you were expecting.

Again, I apologize.  As a SkyMiles member, your support is important to us, and I thank you for your additional time and effort.  We look forward to the privilege of serving your air travel needs again soon.

Sincerely,

Nancy P. Hall

Offline Mendel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
My Response to the last Delta email:
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »

Nancy,

Please explain to me why it's not due. I was charged $600 EXTRA by Delta for Delta's own incompetence and lack of service. All I want is those unjustified penalty charges refunded in cash or vouchers.

I did follow the Delta guidelines, and in fact exceeded it.

I went beyond published guidelines for time. There was a malfunction that the staff did not address, nor did they make any accommodation. Staff seemed more concerned about collecting fees than addressing the check in issues.

I trust that you will evaluate a fair compensation so that I could put this issue to rest eliminating any need for further legal action.

CC: Attorney General of GA.
CC: The Better Business Bureau.
CC: DOT.
CC: *****  ***** Esq.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
 Did U click onto the links I provided in my last post on pg #3?

Im not Nancy but Id bet that no where is there anything in writing that there was the problem that you said there was.Im NOT saying that you arent telling us the truth, only if it wasnt written up then how can any DL or any Carriers CSR know that what you say is what took place. If they take you at your word then everyone will simply call up and claim Hey it was your fault

Sort of like when I was pulled over by a cop and given a tkt. I go to court to fight it and the cop testifys and says things that arent true, since I have no way to Prove hes lying = I Lose

unless you can Prove what you say is what happened = You Lose as  well

Offline Mendel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Better Response from Delta:
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »
Dear Mr. ****,

Thank you for your most recent communication expressing your continued dissatisfaction with my response.  On behalf of Delta Air Lines, I apologize that I have been unable to offer a satisfactory resolution.

I am genuinely sorry it was necessary for you to write me again.  I was concerned that I missed the purpose of your original communication so I reviewed your comments with my Supervisor.  After a lengthy discussion, we recognize that your experience deserves additional consideration.  

Again, I am sorry your travel was unsatisfactory.  I hope in time you will provide us with another opportunity to restore your confidence.

Sincerely,

Nancy P. Hall
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:07:28 PM by Mendel »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »
 I can Honestly say Im Dumbfounded that they seem to be folding

But will wait to see if they agree to the $780 you Requested (Demanded)

so far nice going

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
I can Honestly say Im Dumbfounded that they seem to be folding
It's this that does the trick:
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2010, 01:32:22 PM »
It's this that does the trick:

Dont know about that as Ive read my share of correspondence to various Carriers and Hotels on FT, that included those things and it didnt help at all.

the biggest problem,IMO is being able to Prove what a person is saying is the Truth and w/o having witnesses that are credible and heard/saw everything that went on (in this case it would need to be someone who knows when the person got in line to begin with, what took place when and what the agents said and did and when they did so, or simply a maintance record that what the OP said came down just as they said it did)

But the jury is still out if $780 will be the offer

I hope he gets it

Offline Mendel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Update!
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »
I communicated with them, using 2 channels, the standard customer service, and the executive customer service.

Executive will not admit to any fault of their own, while the regular customer service offered me 6,000 miles per person.

So as a last try, I want to email them both asking them permission to share the story and the email correspondence with the media and some popular online travel blogs, and in addition (if that if that does not work), my lawyer is willing to take the case pro-bono, so this is my last email before public/legal action.

So how should I word it?

Mendel

Email from executive support

April 20, 2010                                                                               REF # 8492566

Dear Mr. *****:

Thank you for writing and allowing me the opportunity to further review your concerns.  I am sorry you were dissatisfied with my first response.

I understand you feel I did not adequately address your concerns.  I was happy to review your comments again to see if there was something I missed.  Respectfully, there is nothing more I can add.  I am sorry to disappoint you, as I understand this is not the answer you were expecting.

Again, I apologize.  Your support is important to Delta and I thank you for your additional time and effort.  We look forward to the privilege of serving your air travel needs again soon.

Sincerely,

Tyler Adams

Email from standard support

Dear Mr. ***
Thank you for writing and allowing me the opportunity to further review your concerns.  On behalf of Delta Air Lines, I am genuinely sorry you were dissatisfied with my first response and requesting additional consideration.
Thank you for your follow up.  I am truly sorry you had to contact us a second time.  Be assured every passenger communication is important to us, and I apologize for failing to follow up on this matter. 
Unfortunately, there was an oversight on my part and I have added 2000 bonus miles to your frequent flyer account as an additional consideration.  It may take 3-5 days for these miles to appear.
Mr. ****, thank you for your follow up and patience.  As a SkyMiles member, your business is important to us and given the opportunity of serving you in the future, I am confident Delta will not only meet but exceed your expectations.
Sincerely,
Nancy P. Hall

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2010, 06:54:36 PM »
 Mendel do you really expect that DL is going to refund U the $780? especially after all you have done

If it was me I would go small claims court or let your lawyer handle it. I cant but feel if they had any intention of refunding you any part of the $780 they would have already

Id say no more emails except maybe 1 to tell them you dont want the 4000 or extra 2000 miles they have given you, 1st check with your lawyer if accepting the 6k can be considered acceptance on your part of total compensation and if you have to notify DL of your refusal to accept it as their Compensation

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »
how about sending them a lawyers letter, with a copy of a newspaper, where you start a class action suit?