Author Topic: New Citi Checking promo 20,000 AA miles - read fine print  (Read 1784 times)

Offline danR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
New Citi Checking promo 20,000 AA miles - read fine print
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »
New Promo:
i received the promo below from Citi bank, I think its a good promo. I spoke with a rep and they informed me you have to have $6,000 worth of investments (mortgage, savings etc) with Citi to qualify for free checking otherwise you have to pay around $10 a month as a fee.
$6k is a bit much to leave in savings, I was thinking it might be worth while to pay $10 monthly fee for a few months, the rep said first couple months there is no charge but I took another look at the fine print and noticed it says you only get the second 10k after you keep the account in good standing 120 days after 9 months.

So it would be $130 (worst case scenario) for 13 months of bank fees, 20,000 miles from Citi over 13 months and an additional 20,000 miles if you use a Citi AA card to fund the account. So your cost would be $.0033 a mile.  Which I guess is a good deal but you have to keep $1,000 in the account.

Also if you time it right and fund at the beginning of you billing cycle. you can you can deposit the $20,000 in the account than open open a savings account at the same time which pays .9% and move $19,000 into there for approx 2 months when you bill comes due, you can make $28.50 on the interest, that lowers you cost to $.0025 a mile.

Obviously the more you fund the account the more profitable it will be  $30,000 funded would come out to $87.25 (fees less interest) $.0017  a mile

Here is the email I received

20,000 American Airlines dvantage® miles are waiting for you. Ends April 30, 2010.  
 As a valued Citi / dvantage credit cardmember, you can earn up to 20,000 American Airlines dvantage bonus miles with a Citibank regular checking account.*

Here is how it works:

1. Open a Citibank regular checking account in a qualifying package and deposit a minimum of $1,000 by 4/30/10.
2. Beginning within the first month of account opening make at least: 1 direct deposit OR 2 electronic bill payments OR 5 or more qualifying signature debit card card purchases each month for 3 consecutive months and earn 10,000
dvantage bonus miles.
3. Continue doing 1 of the above qualifying activities for the next 9 months and earn an additional 10,000 dvantage bonus miles.

Plus, you can continue to earn dvantage miles when you upgrade your Citibank debit card to the
Citibank / dvantage debit card - just press credit when using it for purchases.**

Apply Now
Or call 1-800-374-9500 and mention code C284.
Or bring this invitation to any Citibank branch.

An offer for Citi / dvantage credit cardmembers  

This offer is available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers who receive this communication. Offer is not valid for existing Citibank checking customers. One offer per customer only. All accounts are subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. Participation limited to United States ("U.S.") citizens or resident aliens with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. Customer is responsible for taxes, if any. Persons under 18 years of age are not eligible. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. Electronic bill payments are those you make using Citibank® Online, Citi Mobile or CitiPhone Banking®. A bill that is paid by making a transfer between linked accounts does not qualify as a bill payment for this offer. Qualifying purchases must be submitted through the MasterCard® Network and are those which either you or a merchant designates as a credit transaction (including purchases you sign for, small dollar purchases that do not require a signature and use of your MasterCard® PayPass™), Internet, phone and mail-order transactions. Qualifying purchases do not include those initiated using a Personal Identification Number (PIN) or other transactions submitted through other payment processing networks.

Customer must deposit a minimum of $1,000 into regular checking account opened in a Citibank Account, or Citigold® account package by 4/30/10. Beginning no later than the first month after the account is opened, customer must complete at least one direct deposit to, or at least two electronic bill payments from the checking account, or five or more qualifying signature debit card purchases each month for three consecutive months to earn the first 10,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles. Customer must continue to make at least one direct deposit to, or at least two electronic bill payments from the checking account, or five or more qualifying signature debit card purchases each month for the next nine consecutive months to earn an additional 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles. The 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles increments will be credited to your AAdvantage® account within 120 days from the end of the statement period in which you met all qualifying requirements stated in this offer. Your Citibank regular checking account in the Citibank Account or Citigold® account package and Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card account must be open and in good standing at the time the AAdvantage® bonus miles are posted to your AAdvantage® account.

** The annual fee for the Basic Citibank® / AAdvantage® debit card is $25. The annual fee for the Premium
Citibank® / AAdvantage® debit card is $65 but is waived for Citigold customers.
 activities for the next 9 months and earn an additional 10,000 dvantage bonus miles.

Plus, you can continue to earn dvantage miles when you upgrade your Citibank debit card to the
Citibank / dvantage debit card - just press credit when using it for purchases.**

Apply Now
Or call 1-800-374-9500 and mention code C284.
Or bring this invitation to any Citibank branch.

An offer for Citi / dvantage credit cardmembers  

This offer is available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers who receive this communication. Offer is not valid for existing Citibank checking customers. One offer per customer only. All accounts are subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. Participation limited to United States ("U.S.") citizens or resident aliens with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. Customer is responsible for taxes, if any. Persons under 18 years of age are not eligible. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. Electronic bill payments are those you make using Citibank® Online, Citi Mobile or CitiPhone Banking®. A bill that is paid by making a transfer between linked accounts does not qualify as a bill payment for this offer. Qualifying purchases must be submitted through the MasterCard® Network and are those which either you or a merchant designates as a credit transaction (including purchases you sign for, small dollar purchases that do not require a signature and use of your MasterCard® PayPass™), Internet, phone and mail-order transactions. Qualifying purchases do not include those initiated using a Personal Identification Number (PIN) or other transactions submitted through other payment processing networks.

Customer must deposit a minimum of $1,000 into regular checking account opened in a Citibank Account, or Citigold® account package by 4/30/10. Beginning no later than the first month after the account is opened, customer must complete at least one direct deposit to, or at least two electronic bill payments from the checking account, or five or more qualifying signature debit card purchases each month for three consecutive months to earn the first 10,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles. Customer must continue to make at least one direct deposit to, or at least two electronic bill payments from the checking account, or five or more qualifying signature debit card purchases each month for the next nine consecutive months to earn an additional 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles. The 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles increments will be credited to your AAdvantage® account within 120 days from the end of the statement period in which you met all qualifying requirements stated in this offer. Your Citibank regular checking account in the Citibank Account or Citigold® account package and Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card account must be open and in good standing at the time the AAdvantage® bonus miles are posted to your AAdvantage® account.

** The annual fee for the Basic Citibank® / AAdvantage® debit card is $25. The annual fee for the Premium
Citibank® / AAdvantage® debit card is $65 but is waived for Citigold customers.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:27:06 PM by danR »

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: New Citi Checking promo 20,000 AA miles - read fine print
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:17:44 AM »
Dan seemed to imply (never responded for sure) in another thread that it would work with the E-Z checking account with a $1,500 minimum to avoid fees. I tried it and we'll see what happens.

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: New Citi Checking promo 20,000 AA miles - read fine print
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:46:22 AM »
Dan seemed to imply (never responded for sure) in another thread that it would work with the E-Z checking account with a $1,500 minimum to avoid fees. I tried it and we'll see what happens.

Does anyone know if this is true or not? I want to open one for my wife as well but don't know if I'm wasting my time. Also want to see if Citi stopped funding via CC or not.