Author Topic: ExpertFlyer ditches United (well, technically, the other way around...)  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Just got this email from ExpertFlyer:

Dear Moishebatchy,

United Airlines has decided to remove award and upgrade class inventory from various channels, affecting ExpertFlyer. As such, United has been removed from the list of airlines in the Award & Upgrade search tool until further notice. In addition, all Active Flight Alerts for United award or upgrade class codes have been put into the Expired state.

We are working on a way to restore R/ON upgrade search and alerting functionality and if we are successful, we will again activate those Flight Alerts for R & ON classes.

However, all other United data is still available on ExpertFlyer including:

Detailed regular fare class inventory via the Flight Availability search tool Flight Alerts for regular fare inventory classes Live Seat Maps and Seat Alerts Fare Information searches and all related fare data Flight Status, Flight Detail, Travel Information, and all other ExpertFlyer search tools.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter and continued support of ExpertFlyer.com

-The ExpertFlyer.com Team

Eich omrim "this STINKS!!!" b'angleet?  >:(

Offline Saver2000

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: ExpertFlyer ditches United (well, technically, the other way around...)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 03:39:18 AM »
Just got this email from ExpertFlyer:

Eich omrim "this STINKS!!!" b'angleet?  >:(

Yup, it was discussed here but its good that you started a new thread
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=3289.175

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:04:58 AM »
I'm a bit confused here... maybe I'm misunderstanding how this thing works, but I was always under the impression that award seats were simply seats in another bucket (e.g. in biz, the paid buckets are J,C,D, etc. while award seats are I) and that anybody who has access to the bucket list (har!) can see what's in all of them. So if KVS, EF, etc. can all still see what's in the rest of the alphabet soup, why can't they see what's in X, I, and O? Did UA hide those buckets from the general public completely? Because if yes, how can partner airlines find available seats to show me when I search for my dates on their site (or ask over the phone)? And if not, why can't EF get the info the same way partner airlines do?

(Side note: I pulled up a UA flight on EF's availability tool, and clicked to create an alert. Even though "I" was not one of the fare classes listed on the page, I typed it in, and EF allowed me to create the alert without generating any errors. Think it'll actually trigger? At the rate things are going, I'm guessing it won't...)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:24:05 AM »
well it moved my alerts into expired

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »
well it moved my alerts into expired

+1

Dear Moishebatchy,

United Airlines has decided to remove award and upgrade class inventory from various channels, affecting ExpertFlyer. As such, United has been removed from the list of airlines in the Award & Upgrade search tool until further notice. In addition, all Active Flight Alerts for United award or upgrade class codes have been put into the Expired state.

We are working on a way to restore R/ON upgrade search and alerting functionality and if we are successful, we will again activate those Flight Alerts for R & ON classes.

However, all other United data is still available on ExpertFlyer including:

Detailed regular fare class inventory via the Flight Availability search tool Flight Alerts for regular fare inventory classes Live Seat Maps and Seat Alerts Fare Information searches and all related fare data Flight Status, Flight Detail, Travel Information, and all other ExpertFlyer search tools.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter and continued support of ExpertFlyer.com

-The ExpertFlyer.com Team

Offline KVS

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: KVS Availability Tool
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »
So if KVS, EF, etc. can all still see what's in the rest of the alphabet soup, why can't they see what's in X, I, and O? Did UA hide those buckets from the general public completely?

It should be clarified that these limitations do not apply to KVS Tool Members, who continue to have access to Award (O/I/X), Upgrade (R/ON), as well as Regular Availability on UA.

Please see the KVS Tool: UA Upgrade Availability Update Thread for details.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
It should be clarified that these limitations do not apply to KVS Tool Members, who continue to have access to Award (O/I/X), Upgrade (R/ON), as well as Regular Availability on UA.

Thanks for clarifying. Though it makes my question about EF even stronger. ;)

Offline ExpertFlyer Voice

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • ExpertFlyer.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »
I'm a bit confused here... maybe I'm misunderstanding how this thing works, but I was always under the impression that award seats were simply seats in another bucket (e.g. in biz, the paid buckets are J,C,D, etc. while award seats are I) and that anybody who has access to the bucket list (har!) can see what's in all of them. So if KVS, EF, etc. can all still see what's in the rest of the alphabet soup, why can't they see what's in X, I, and O? Did UA hide those buckets from the general public completely? Because if yes, how can partner airlines find available seats to show me when I search for my dates on their site (or ask over the phone)? And if not, why can't EF get the info the same way partner airlines do?

(Side note: I pulled up a UA flight on EF's availability tool, and clicked to create an alert. Even though "I" was not one of the fare classes listed on the page, I typed it in, and EF allowed me to create the alert without generating any errors. Think it'll actually trigger? At the rate things are going, I'm guessing it won't...)

Hi everyone. To clarify, the general fare classes are still available via the Flight Availability search. General fare availability is generally separate from award availability.

Moishebatchy - The Create Flight Alert page validates the flight information, not the class codes.

We are working to restore both UA upgrade and award searching and alerting. First will come the upgrade functionality, then the award functionality. Stay tuned and thank you for your patience.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
Hi everyone. To clarify, the general fare classes are still available via the Flight Availability search. General fare availability is generally separate from award availability.

You mean that X, I, and O are accessed differently than the rest of the alphabet soup? I.e. if the general availability tool starts going through the alphabet, checking all the letters, it will cough when it hits those three?

First will come the upgrade functionality, then the award functionality.

Ouch. Was hoping it was the other way around. :(

Any estimated timetable?

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • ExpertFlyer.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »
You mean that X, I, and O are accessed differently than the rest of the alphabet soup? I.e. if the general availability tool starts going through the alphabet, checking all the letters, it will cough when it hits those three?

Ouch. Was hoping it was the other way around. :(

Any estimated timetable?

Yes, award classes are different then fare classes.  The Flight Availability tool doesn't search for each class individually, they are published as a set.

UA Upgrade searching is more popular then award searching on EF, so we're tackling that one first.  Shouldn't be too long, we will let the membership know when it is available again.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »
:)  Shouldn't be too long, we will let the membership know when it is available again.

Thanks. Just wondering... Are we talking about a matter of days, or weeks?

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • ExpertFlyer.com
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:02:07 PM »
Thanks. Just wondering... Are we talking about a matter of days, or weeks?

Days to a week, shouldn't be weeks. The developers are working on it right now.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »
Days to a week, shouldn't be weeks. The developers are working on it right now.
Thanks!