Author Topic: Where were you on September 11, 2001?  (Read 80469 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Where were you on September 11, 2001?
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:11:46 PM »
I saw this topic on Yeshiva World and though it would be an interesting one to have here.
    It's crazy that it was 11 years ago already. I remember the day well.  They brought out TV's... Us "younger" kids weren't allowed to watch but I remember looking through the door windows and seeing the rebbeim watching the news and crying. It is etched in my memory to this day. Personally I don't think the magnitude of the day really hit me until a few years later when I was older watching the news clips myself....

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:16:37 PM by sky121 »
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline lcyitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Where were you on September 11, 2001?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:34:12 PM »
In O.T kids walked in to class saying the twin towers fell..... No one believed then. until the next break we all went running on the roof to see the smoke...... My teacher was flipping out
 I was scared to leave my house that day....

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Where were you on September 11, 2001?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
In O.T.
 my classroom faced the towers. finished breakfast @8:45 and teacher came a couple minutes after 9. so i saw the second plane hit we were all looking out the window trying to figure out what happened to first tower

Offline kracked dude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »
Just finished halacha shiur, walking to breakfast another bachur came outside saying he just heard from the Rob the Janitor that a small plane just hit one of the twin towers and its prob a accident. Few min later the real news came in.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Just finished davening in high school and went up to my brothers dorm room to try and find out what was going on.
We actually had shiur that day. During break I was the only one with a radio (I think it was a CD player, good times) and I was the news man. I remember reporting to people that the towers fell down and not understanding what that meant, how could two buildings just cease to exist.
Spent the rest of the day glued to a TV.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
Elementary school. My Mom picked me up, and when I told her what happened she yelled at me for making things up
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline plainbachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
was in elemntry school and all the rebbem were busy with it  believe it or not I had a boy in my class his father died in the WTC his mother came to pick him up it was horible they didn't find him for 2 weeks

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »
whats O.T.

Offline A European

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:31:15 PM »
whats O.T.
Oholei Torah in crown heights

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
Re: Re: Where were you on September 11, 2001?
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »
was in elemntry school and all the rebbem were busy with it  believe it or not I had a boy in my class his father died in the WTC his mother came to pick him up it was horible they didn't find him for 2 weeks
Nebach
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline A European

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »
just started shiur alef in lod

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »
I was 16 years old and had just arrived in beis medresh in LA a couple weeks earlier.

Was sleeping in the old decrepit YOEC dorm and Rabbi Thaler came running down the halls screaming that the one of the twin towers had been hit.

I think I was the only person back then to have a cell phone (just bought it when I arrived in LA) and I was using the 3 lines of text-only internet on my Motorola Talkabout (a Startac derivative) to get updates.  I was also the news guy for yeshiva and I'd keep coming back into the zal and update bochurim and rabbeim as to what was going on.  My rebbi pulled me aside to see if I had a TV that I was getting updates from...internet on a phone was pretty much unheard of back then.  In fact Sprint was still giving away the 2G internet for free to get people to use it.

The LA cops came to checkin on us a few times that day as well.  Until all the planes in the country were grounded there were still rumors of tons of other hijacked planes.

I actually had a ticket to go from LAX-CLE on 09/12 IIRC as CO had strict 30 day max stay then and I had another return ticket for Sukkos and was going to throw away the 09/12 ticket.  In the end I was able to use the 09/12 ticket to come home from yeshiva at the end of the year as the flight was cancelled of course.

My father sent me back to yeshiva after sukkos with a kit of cipro and atropine to keep with me in case of anthrax or nerve gas attack :D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »
Was in OT elementary at the time. We came in to class at around 10 minutes to 9, and we see smoke coming from the twin towers, as our classroom windows on the 4th floor were facing downtown Manhattan. While we were all glued to the windows, many of us saw the second plane crash and go right into the other tower. At the 11am recess break, many of the teachers on that floor came to our classroom, cuz we had a really good view from there to the burning towers.

Offline eitang

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »
I was 16 years old and had just arrived in beis medresh in LA a couple weeks earlier.

Was sleeping in the old decrepit YOEC dorm and Rabbi Thaler came running down the halls screaming that the one of the twin towers had been hit.

I think I was the only person back then to have a cell phone (just bought it when I arrived in LA) and I was using the 3 lines of text-only internet on my Motorola Talkabout (a Startac derivative) to get updates.  I was also the news guy for yeshiva and I'd keep coming back into the zal and update bochurim and rabbeim as to what was going on.  My rebbi pulled me aside to see if I had a TV that I was getting updates from...internet on a phone was pretty much unheard of back then.  In fact Sprint was still giving away the 2G internet for free to get people to use it.

The LA cops came to checkin on us a few times that day as well.  Until all the planes in the country were grounded there were still rumors of tons of other hijacked planes.

I actually had a ticket to go from LAX-CLE on 09/12 IIRC as CO had strict 30 day max stay then and I had another return ticket for Sukkos and was going to throw away the 09/12 ticket.  In the end I was able to use the 09/12 ticket to come home from yeshiva at the end of the year as the flight was cancelled of course.

My father sent me back to yeshiva after sukkos with a kit of cipro and atropine to keep with me in case of anthrax or nerve gas attack :D

Of course Dan was first to have the scoop even back in the day! I was also the same age at the time and found out first in my school because I was taking a "davening break" and was out wandering the empty halls when a secretary told me the news. I then ran into davening telling pple what had happened...no one believed me.

P.S. what does your dad do that he was able to get you the atropine? (not everyone has that in their back pocket....though I do  :) )

Offline This is who I am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 10:28:04 PM »
i was home out of school do to the fact that i needed stitches.... My grandma called me to let me know that a plane hit the WTC and i should be safe outside . i remember walking the streets of Brooklyn and just seeing a cloud of smoke... or driveing to the 5 towns seeing the skyline empty with a pillar of smoke will never forget that every time i drive by :(
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 10:30:59 PM »
I too was in OT, but apparently I'm the only one who posted thus far who was in Zal...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
I too was in OT, but apparently I'm the only one who posted thus far who was in Zal...
Do you mean literally in zal as opposed to in bed, as I was in zal at the time as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 10:37:06 PM »
Do you mean literally in zal as opposed to in bed, as I was in zal at the time as well.
Only in LA was it so early in the morning..

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »

Yes, literally. I went to mikvah, while everyone watched from the window.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 10:58:26 PM »
I was in Mesivta. Came to the dining room after Shacharis and heard the radio blasting from the kitchen which was weird, but before I had a chance to think about it one of the Bochurim (who was not known to be bright) pounced on me and said that a plane crashed into the twin towers. I was like "yeah right" just as another Bochur said that another plane crashed into the Pentagon. I thought the second Bochur was making fun of the first one but then the radio finally filtered in and i listned in horror together with the rest of the boys as the first tower fell (I have to admit the thought crossing my mind at the time was, what will the skyline look like with only one twin tower). A second before Shiur a Bochur came running down the hall screaming the second tower fell. Now the R"Y was giving a Shiur as if nothing happened, I doubt there was a Bochur in the class who heard a word.
3 weeks later I took a flight home for Succos, there were 7 people on the plane: Me, another Bochur, some business man, a flight attendant, air marshal, pilot and co-pilot. As we were coming in for landing in LGA we flew along the island of Manhattan, I used to love coming in from that direction as the view of Manhattan is amazing. This time we saw all the smoke coming from where the towers were.