Author Topic: Palm Springs TR + Marriott Mega Bonus  (Read 8052 times)

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Palm Springs TR + Marriott Mega Bonus
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:57:47 AM »
Finally getting around to writing about this...hope it helps!

Had some free time in August and am a fan of hot weather so I figured why not head to Palm
Springs?

Everyone thought I was crazy, but with the Renaissance Indian Wells Resort/Spa at $135 a/i per night, why not?

Included in the price - besides for it being an amazing hotel - are many great activities such as the putting range, biking and the pool.

On top of it all, Marriott was running (currently running another one) Mega Bonus = free night after 2nd paid stay - minimum one night at two hotels.

So here goes...

Prior to check in, I let them know about my anniversary. At check in they noticed it and offered champagne and chocolates. I thanked them profusely but mentioned that we keep kosher.

They said no problem, what else can we do for you? I asked if we could get a spa credit (entry w/o a massage is $35 pp) and they said sure, "we can set up a massage for both of you". This ended being a spa credit worth over $400 as they threw in a manicure.

I was even given a resort credit that was spent at the gift shop where the resort's fleece pullover sweaters w/ the logo were on clearance and had two in the perfect size!

As the spa was empty, we had free all day access to the pool, jacuzzi and best of all there are seperate locker rooms/steamrooms for men/women.

Throw in the biking and a couple rounds at the 9 hole putting range, the day went by fast! Keeping hydrated was easy with the water (fruit infused) stations all around the hotel.

All this for $135. For the second night I headed down to the Renaissance Palm Springs. Much smaller, a bit trendy but great service and for $100 can't complain - especially when you get a free night credit for two nights.

What I didn't mention was that prior to my stays, I had called to see if I could get a status challenge from Marriott Silver (compliments of Marriott Visa) to Gold (free breakfast, wifi, 25% point bonus and upgrades).

I was told that if I made 6 stays within the next 3 months, I would earn gold until 2014. So the Renaissance's made 2. The local Fairfield is only $55 per night so with mega bonus ongoing, I 'checked in' on the way home to LA and took a nap, ate the welcome amenity and said goodbye.

Did the same a few days later at the Fairfield at Ontario Mills ($85, earned free night number 2) and was up to 4 of 6.

Cashed in a free Marriott Visa anniversary award night for stay number 5 in Seattle and had a family member stay over Labor day in LA from a reservation booked from my account for stay number 6.

All in all, I spent $140 for Gold status for 1.5 years and got a free award night credit while at it. All while getting gold benefits for my stays and points bonuses which added enough points to my existing balance for another free night award.

As far as PS, Trader Joe's has meat, Ralph's the usual kosher products and there are several Coffee Beans. Didn't have to do much as far as activities but Cabazon Outlets are a place to visit, there are some stores on the main drag in PS (Palm Ave?) and the Renaissance Palm Springs has a free shuttle.

Chabad has a minyan 3 times a day too.

All in all, was impressed for my first visit to PS - long overdue considering my 20+ years in LA - and hope to head back!

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
Re: Palm Springs TR + Marriott Mega Bonus
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:14:21 AM »
How exactly does this mega bonus promo work?
every 2 paid stays at any marriott owned hotel earns a free night in any marriott?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:19:30 AM »
How exactly does this mega bonus promo work?
every 2 paid stays at any marriott owned hotel earns a free night in any marriott?
u earn a stay in a cat 1-4 marriot which aint so great imho

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:29:37 AM »

there are some good redemption places/values such as SFO

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 02:30:10 AM »
ahh I was dreaming of a faster free nights
Marriott version

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:11 AM »
there are some good redemption places/values such as SFO

Which Hotel there
(I'm assuming there's more than one marriott)

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 02:33:45 AM »

Which Hotel there
(I'm assuming there's more than one marriott)

i forgot which one specifically IIRC the airport one but check the website it was something like $280 a night

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 02:52:00 AM »
Seems like the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center is a good value as well
And the Henry Marriott Autograph collection in Dearborn (formerly the Ritz Carlton) is as well

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 04:18:07 AM »
Seems like the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center is a good value as well
And the Henry Marriott Autograph collection in Dearborn (formerly the Ritz Carlton) is as well

those two are Cat. 4's?!

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »
those two are Cat. 4's?!
So it seems although I didn't see it on the marriott site so that info may be outdated

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »
So it seems although I didn't see it on the marriott site so that info may be outdated

seems like they are...be sure to check out coach insignia (bar/lounge) on the 72 floor at the Renaissane Center about the marriott...amazing views/drinks.

they can get kosher food service too w/ advanced notice...great dating spot as well

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
seems like they are...be sure to check out coach insignia (bar/lounge) on the 72 floor at the Renaissane Center about the marriott...amazing views/drinks.

they can get kosher food service too w/ advanced notice...great dating spot as well
anybody in particular to speak to to get Kosher and what kind of Kosher stuff can they get?

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »
anybody in particular to speak to to get Kosher and what kind of Kosher stuff can they get?

the owner owns a chain of high end restaurants (not kosher) but has (or had) a kosher catering company of sorts in the jcc...i was told that you can order kosher food as they have private areas at coach insignia...might just be tv dinners but if you took the private room it could fit prob a dozen or more and a caterer could do it/send food.

just call them and ask....great proposal site too