Topic Wiki

I have been to Turkey several times. They (Turkish Airlines) are somehow able to consistently be one of the lowest cost and decent airlines.
It is a shame that the country under Erdogan (current leader) does not have better relations with Israel.
I do NOT wear a kippa in Public in Turkey. (I wear a hat/cap)
Even with a hotel for a few nights Turkish Airlines can beat many airlines in terms of price.
I stayed at a decent hotel in Istanbul for about 50$/night.
They have fares to Israel for about 704$ in May of 2015.
Ukraine / Russian airlines are cheaper sometimes but I don't think they are great ..
How does Turkish airlines do it?
The only things I can think of : lower fuel costs? Lower wages? govt subsidies?
The airline is quite ok and Turkey is one of the few Muslim countries that flies to Israel with four or more flights per day on average...
This is not meant to be an Ad for Turk Air....but it is in interesting ::) phenomena....

If you have any questions regarding kosher food or shuls contact Rabbi Mendy Chitrik at mchitrik@gmail.com.
« Last edited by jedderai on July 01, 2015, 10:53:51 PM »

Author Topic: Türkiye Master Thread  (Read 57493 times)

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Turkey Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »
I flew into Istanbul this morning.  I had a driver waiting to go straight to the Kever.  It's clearly marked when you enter the cemetery.  Being the tzaddiks yurtzeit I was surprised to have the Kever all to myself.  I stayed for about an hour saying tehilim and davening.  Then I raced to the SAW airport also in  Istanbul for a flight  to Izmer. 

In Izmer I hope to get to the Kever of Reb Chaim Palagi still before night.  I'll update when I land in Izmer.  Taking off from SAW now.

One amazing feeling was thinking that at this same place the Baal Shem,  Reb Nachman and the Ohr Chaim were all mispalel.
Thanks! How long was the drive from the airport? How much did the driver charge? Where did you book the driver?

Offline Feivish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2016, 06:25:10 PM »
Thanks! How long was the drive from the airport? How much did the driver charge? Where did you book the driver?
Did it a while ago. Ride was around 50 minutes (mid day traffic). Asked taxi dispatcher at the airport for an English speaking driver. We negotiated a price for the day, don't remember $$.

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2016, 08:14:46 PM »
About 45 min from the airport.  There is a driver/guide up thread,  name is Yusuf.  Jewish guy with lots of knowledge,  very professional.  I paid $200 for a day including a driver in a luxury van,  and Yusuf guiding.

Offline Feivish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »
About 45 min from the airport.  There is a driver/guide up thread,  name is Yusuf.  Jewish guy with lots of knowledge,  very professional.  I paid $200 for a day including a driver in a luxury van,  and Yusuf guiding.
I think I paid around the same price but without a guide. When I asked the driver if knew where the Jewish cemetery is, he said "sure, you mean Rabbi Katz!".

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2016, 09:37:01 PM »
Would the Chabad shliach put somebody up for shabbos ?
My bro. might be stuck in Ist for shabbos.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »
Turkish report: Istanbul bomber followed Israeli group - https://t.co/7NS7oVrBEG

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »
Coup underway

Offline gsquared

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2018, 02:17:20 PM »
a quick TR for my short trip to Turkey:

The Lira has lost a lot of value against the dollar so everything was quite well priced.
The shoulder season is the time to go because the weather is pleasant and the lines for the tourist sites are not overwhelming. Summer is supposedly crazy crowded and very hot and winter is quite cold..  There were an incredible number of tourists anyway mainly from China. Not many Americans or Brits it seems. The Turks seem to really like Americans and dont seem to be big fans of the Arabs. There have been quite a number of terrorist attacks inside Turkey.  I felt very safe though.  People are friendly and helpful especially when they find out you're an American.

As has been stated before Turkish Air is a great way to fly. got my evisa online beforehand. I also organised my transport from IST to my hotel beforehand.  I stayed in a hotel near the Ashkenazi and Neve Shalom shuls and the Galata Tower. It is easy walking distance to Taksim square as well a just across the bridge to the old town area. 

There are a few ways to eat in Turkey. I got my food catered by a company with a hecsher under the turkish rabbinate which my hotel warmed up. The other option is to get the food catered by La Casa who also do the meals for Turkish airlines under the chabad rabbi. There is also grocery store with meat and cheese etc. which I didnt visit.  There are also two restaurants.  One is only open for lunch however. 

In istanbul I hired private guides for my tours. I did all the traditional things - blue mosque, hagia sophia, topkapi palace and grand bazaar etc  All in close proximity so no need for a car.  Leather and textiles are very good. Did not buy a carpet.   

I also hired a private guide and driver for a jewish tour. I sent my passport information beforehand.  Went to four different neighborhoods. There are jews in 3 of them. The Sisli area where the Bet Israel shul is is where the majority of the jews live. It also is where the restaurant is that is open for lunch is. Security is very tight. Bomb doors, 24 hour police presence etc.  Shabbat was uneventful. Went to two of the shuls. Went to a Hammam(turkish bath) which is experience not to be missed.  Walked on Istiklal street which is likely one the busiest pedestrian streets in the world with millions of people per day.

Then flew to Copadacia. Around a hour flight from IST.  Stayed in one of the many cave hotels in Goreme. Did a balloon flight which besides the fairy chimneys, caves etc is the thing to do. 

All in all. turkey is friendly, safe, well priced with lots to see and do. 

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
Thanks for the info. about  Copadacia,  will add to next trip.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline callmepaul

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2019, 08:25:32 AM »
Planning a trip to Turkey for May, anyone knows if everything is still "friendly, safe, well priced with lots to see and do." as stated in the October 2018 post below?

Thanks!

a quick TR for my short trip to Turkey:

The Lira has lost a lot of value against the dollar so everything was quite well priced.
The shoulder season is the time to go because the weather is pleasant and the lines for the tourist sites are not overwhelming. Summer is supposedly crazy crowded and very hot and winter is quite cold..  There were an incredible number of tourists anyway mainly from China. Not many Americans or Brits it seems. The Turks seem to really like Americans and dont seem to be big fans of the Arabs. There have been quite a number of terrorist attacks inside Turkey.  I felt very safe though.  People are friendly and helpful especially when they find out you're an American.

As has been stated before Turkish Air is a great way to fly. got my evisa online beforehand. I also organised my transport from IST to my hotel beforehand.  I stayed in a hotel near the Ashkenazi and Neve Shalom shuls and the Galata Tower. It is easy walking distance to Taksim square as well a just across the bridge to the old town area. 

There are a few ways to eat in Turkey. I got my food catered by a company with a hecsher under the turkish rabbinate which my hotel warmed up. The other option is to get the food catered by La Casa who also do the meals for Turkish airlines under the chabad rabbi. There is also grocery store with meat and cheese etc. which I didnt visit.  There are also two restaurants.  One is only open for lunch however. 

In istanbul I hired private guides for my tours. I did all the traditional things - blue mosque, hagia sophia, topkapi palace and grand bazaar etc  All in close proximity so no need for a car.  Leather and textiles are very good. Did not buy a carpet.   

I also hired a private guide and driver for a jewish tour. I sent my passport information beforehand.  Went to four different neighborhoods. There are jews in 3 of them. The Sisli area where the Bet Israel shul is is where the majority of the jews live. It also is where the restaurant is that is open for lunch is. Security is very tight. Bomb doors, 24 hour police presence etc.  Shabbat was uneventful. Went to two of the shuls. Went to a Hammam(turkish bath) which is experience not to be missed.  Walked on Istiklal street which is likely one the busiest pedestrian streets in the world with millions of people per day.

Then flew to Copadacia. Around a hour flight from IST.  Stayed in one of the many cave hotels in Goreme. Did a balloon flight which besides the fairy chimneys, caves etc is the thing to do. 

All in all. turkey is friendly, safe, well priced with lots to see and do.
I
Design
Websites / Apps / Algos / Systems.
DM Me.

Offline kosherjid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2019, 10:20:55 AM »
I was in Istanbul and Izmir a few weeks ago.  'looked' friendly and safe to me.  But you won't find a jew on the street with a kipa.  In the bus, someone mentioned the name 'erdogan', on this the tour guide said in hebrew on the microphone:'please do not mention his name, because of the nehag (driver).  Don't go to the beis hakvoiros by yourself in Istanbul, you wouldn't like to meet the men loitering around there, by night.  Bear in mind, while in Istanbul, you are surrounded by 15 millions muslim.

Offline yyzzrh

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2019, 02:28:46 PM »
I was in Istanbul and Izmir a few weeks ago.  'looked' friendly and safe to me.  But you won't find a jew on the street with a kipa.  In the bus, someone mentioned the name 'erdogan', on this the tour guide said in hebrew on the microphone:'please do not mention his name, because of the nehag (driver).  Don't go to the beis hakvoiros by yourself in Istanbul, you wouldn't like to meet the men loitering around there, by night.  Bear in mind, while in Istanbul, you are surrounded by 15 millions muslim.

Hi

I may need to be in Izmir for a day next week. Anything particular to be wary of?

Offline Platinum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2019, 10:50:06 PM »
I have a 7 hour stopover in IST and was thinking of leaving the airport, Any recommendations of things to do? Any kosher options to get a quick bite? Thanks.

Offline travel agent

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2019, 06:48:52 AM »
I have a 7 hour stopover in IST and was thinking of leaving the airport, Any recommendations of things to do? Any kosher options to get a quick bite? Thanks.

do you need a visa? you can contact Chabad about food & you can visit the cemetery if its during the day.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2019, 10:52:11 AM »
I have a 12 hour stopover in IST in a few weeks and plan to tour with my DW and baby..have a pretty full day scheduled.
Who's buried in the cemetery?

Offline travel agent

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2019, 12:14:46 PM »
I have a 12 hour stopover in IST in a few weeks and plan to tour with my DW and baby..have a pretty full day scheduled.
Who's buried in the cemetery?

the סמיכת חכמים

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2019, 03:06:31 AM »
the סמיכת חכמים

Wouldn't go there alone.  Only with a group. 

Offline yyzzrh

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2019, 06:32:46 AM »
I went to the cemetary in Izmir a few weeks ago. I was alone and it was strange, but I didn't feel any danger.
The place is a wreck, which is very very sad. There is an active mikva, which is clean and looks like people use.
I walked through downtown Izmir, the bazaar and the boardwalk with a cap and a beard and didn't feel uncomfortable at any time.

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »
I went to the cemetary in Izmir a few weeks ago. I was alone and it was strange, but I didn't feel any danger.
The place is a wreck, which is very very sad. There is an active mikva, which is clean and looks like people use.
I walked through downtown Izmir, the bazaar and the boardwalk with a cap and a beard and didn't feel uncomfortable at any time.

Istanbul is different.  You wouldn't like to meet the men loitering around the cemetery, by yourself face to face.
 "religious" muslims live in the neighbourhood next to it. You can literally feel the tension in the air. However careful you are, a car bumping into your  car,  or you trip over a pebble, you are surrounded by 15 million muslims.

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »