Author Topic: Help getting BC ticket NYC-TLV with miles  (Read 3791 times)

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Help getting BC ticket NYC-TLV with miles
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »
I'm looking to fly to Israel for Lag Baomer. I want to know if it is worth buying miles and using them for an award flight on business class,  how much such a flight would cost me and what would be the best way too go about it?(I don't mind stopovers). Any advice is appreciated. :)

Offline steve2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help getting BC ticket NYC-TLV with miles
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
 whats worth it for you to do might not be for me and vice versa. Depending on which Carrier will determine how many miles you will need. Id say $1700 on the low side for 115k for a *A USA Carrier .  Before buying the miles make sure theres something available otherwise you will be sitting with them.

Its best if you can find someone who has top level status with that Carrier as that way they can change the flights w/o any Fees and also they will maybe be offered flights that non-Top level people wont be

Offline queensdeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:06:21 PM »
Steve, just out of curiosity, are the *A tickets to TLV the same 115,000 from LAX as they are from lets say EWR/PHL?
In other words, they'll give you the same rate from anywhere in Continental 48 states, even if it involves a transfer/stopover?

Also, any direct *A Reward flights to TLV from West Coast?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
Steve, just out of curiosity, are the *A tickets to TLV the same 115,000 from LAX as they are from lets say EWR/PHL?
In other words, they'll give you the same rate from anywhere in Continental 48 states, even if it involves a transfer/stopover?

Also, any direct *A Reward flights to TLV from West Coast?

as far as I know (AFAIK) its 115k on any *A Carrier. Now if I lived out West, Id try my best to get say LX (Swiss) or LH (Lufthansa) reason is otherwise you will be on a narrow body to NY or PHL while if you are able to secure a European Carrier LA-Europe it will be a wide body

I also think (dont actually know since it never pretained to me) that you can get a stopover say in NY either way and 1 in Europe as well, again if it was me Id want to do the stop in NY on the way back so as to max out the better Biz or FC seats for sleeping going and with a day time NY-WC it wouldnt matter as much at least to me.

Id think the great poobah would be getting ElAl in Biz non-stop LA-TLV using AA miles (130k).

U do realize that Direct and Non-stop are NOT the samething? CO 90 LAX-EWR-TLV and 91 back TLV-EWR-LAX are direct flights since they are the same flight# but Unfortuantely you will be on a 737 or 752 LAX-EWR, most likely you will be in Coach and BF for the EWR-TLV-EWR flights and thats also 115k. Its very hard to get any free FC tkt to/from LA. If by some Luck they are avaialble and the 752 is GRAB that, its a BF seat rather then the reg FC seat

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »
Steve, if one wouldnt want to spend the day in NY it would probably make more sense to connect in europe nonstop to LAX to avoid having to go through customs and get his luggage in NY which would be the US port of entry, is that correct?

Also LAX to TLV can be redeemed on any *A member via ANA (transfer from MR 1-1 or from SPG 20K-25K) 65K in Economy and 105K in Business. As was already discussed on another thread, this would make most sense only if there is availability on US carriers (CO,US or UA...) as ANA passes on the fuel surcharges which makes redeeming them on LH or LX questionable.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »
Steve, if one wouldnt want to spend the day in NY it would probably make more sense to connect in europe nonstop to LAX to avoid having to go through customs and get his luggage in NY which would be the US port of entry, is that correct?

Also LAX to TLV can be redeemed on any *A member via ANA (transfer from MR 1-1 or from SPG 20K-25K) 65K in Economy and 105K in Business. As was already discussed on another thread, this would make most sense only if there is availability on US carriers (CO,US or UA...) as ANA passes on the fuel surcharges which makes redeeming them on LH or LX questionable.

Im not a PRO with ANA

Also I booked a flight for Shavoth what I booked wasnt availble to a non-Plat, so the key is also to if Purchasing miles (Im not telling anyone to do so!) to do so from someone who has top level status as they will have more flights Maybe available to chose from. And no Im not selling any of my miles so no plug intended from Me (if I was I would post it in that Forum and not on this 1)

So ANA might be 10k less but there wont be anything available , while with a CO Plat or US Chairman youd pay 10k more but probably have a few extra flights to chose from

also Im booked on CO in Coach no BF available but as a Plat I can change my booking at any time for $0, once a person is booked with ANA I believe if they can make any changes they will have to pay each time. I believe SPG to US is still 1-1 to UA or CO its 2 SPG per 1 mile not the way to go. Id sooner trade my SPG with someone who wants to unload their CO if there is anyone.

As for Customs & Imm I never went thru LAX did SFO last year and it was OK. But I hate LAX more then JFK or EWR, you need a plane to get from the Gate to Baggage more so then at EWR or JFK. I just like the idea of having a better seat for the whole trip. again if a person can score the CO 752 out of LA to EWR then it would be OK otherwise why sit in a plain FC seat when you can instead have a lie-flat seat and better entertainment system and usually much better service when on an Intl flight, as well as better food to boot.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:50:35 PM by steve2 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 04:02:11 PM »
also Im booked on CO in Coach no BF available but as a Plat I can change my booking at any time for $0, once a person is booked with ANA I believe if they can make any changes they will have to pay each time.
It appears that date changes with ANA miles are actually free.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:16:02 PM »
It appears that date changes with ANA miles are actually free.
Just remember that is only if you dont change airline, route, and class. You cant change any of those unless you cancel and redeposit the points then rebook. It costs 3000 miles to redeposit.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:19:24 PM »
Just remember that is only if you dont change airline, route, and class. You cant change any of those unless you cancel and redeposit the points then rebook. It costs 3000 miles to redeposit.

For my last flight that would have cost me 36k or to CO $1800 which means I would have been stuck with whatever I had booked to begin with

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
Customs stopped being an issue for me. I will anyway have to go through one, so whether a connecting flight or not, this customs hell you will anyway feel. The only advantage having a stop before your final destination within the usa, is the fact that someone can come and pick you up. (You know that 10-20 mins after the flight you are outside.)

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »
Customs stopped being an issue for me. I will anyway have to go through one, so whether a connecting flight or not, this customs hell you will anyway feel. The only advantage having a stop before your final destination within the usa, is the fact that someone can come and pick you up. (You know that 10-20 mins after the flight you are outside.)

thats a valid pt, and why Baskin Robbins comes in 31 flavors (its an ice cream) so that everyone can get what they like

Offline queensdeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »
If the stopover is in Europe, you're saying that you need to take your bags through customs and then re-check them for TLV? An the same on the reverse flight?  Airport wont route your bags onto your upcoming destination flight?

Also, if going through the US on a *A domestic carrier (US/CO/UA...) you wont get a Biz/First ticket from LAX to EWR/PHL/JFK/YYZ on your way to TLV?

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:10:45 AM »
Not what I'm saying 2X

No need to recheck the luggage on connecting flights in europe.
When flying upper class transatlantic in upper class, your connecting flights anywhere should be the same, provided its available.