Topic Wiki

Starwood points are the highest mileage currency out there. With being able to stay at the Dead Sea for only 3000 points during a week day and only 2000 points on a Friday night they are really awesome. They also have ability to transfer to over 25 different airlines at a 1:1 ratio, but every 20,000 your transfer you get 25,000 (an extra 5,000 for every 20,000 you transfer). Some transfers both names need to match and some only last names. The best is when you can transfer to a different person completely too really make your miles flexible. Also a big problem with these points is that it could take a long time to transfer. So below, we will try to make a chart of, do the names need to match and how long the transfers take.

DATA:

SPG - Transferring from SPG account to another requires the same mailing address on both accounts for at least 30 days. (i.e. this works for spouses). Takes about 5-10 days to transfer.

Aegean -

Aeromexico Club Premier -

Aeroplan - Names don't need to match. - Usually takes about a day and half to 2 days to transfer.

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan - First and Last names need to match. - Takes two business days.

Alitalia MilleMiglia -

American Airlines - Only last name needs to match. - Transfer usually takes a day. Sometime can take 2 days if you transfer it late in the day.   

Asia Miles

China Eastern

Delta - Transfers post 2 days later - If First and last names dont match then transfer wont go through (Not sure if different first name and same last name works)

Emirates Skywards

Etihad Airways - Last names need to match. Takes about a week to transfer.

Flying Blue- Requested Wednesday, transfer completed following Tuesday (names matched)

JAL - Both names need to match. Can take upto 3 weeks to transfer.

Korean -

LAN Airlines -

Miles and More/LH/Lufthansa - It's been taking forever recently 3-4 days
Last name matching will go through (even if first name doesn't).

Singapore Airlines -

United Airlines -

US Airways - Names don't need to match. - Most transfers go through the next day. Some might take an extra day.

Virgin Atlantic -

Virgin America -

Virgin Australia -

Author Topic: Starwood Starpoints Transfer To Airline Miles Master Thread  (Read 180437 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Starwood Starpoints Transfer To Airline Miles Master Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
Links to FT are fine.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Afight4ever

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2011, 10:37:50 PM »
I transferred 60k spg and 24k to AA. 60k on the 13th and 24k on the 30th. 24k posted (29k) and the 60k has not posted yet. It has been deducted from the account but thats about it. any ideas? thoughts?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2011, 12:05:21 AM »
PUTPAC SPG?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
I initiated two transfers from SPG to AA on Wednesday 12/14, and I was under the impression that they usually go through by Monday morning.  At this point, I have 2 (very hard to find) El Al reservations on hold with AA, which are going to be released tonight.  AA tells me that they don't even have any indication in my AA account that the transfer is pending, and SPG tells me that the transfer can take up to 14 days, and they can't give me any information about the status and ETA.  Based on the limited availability, AA tells me that if I try to release and re-hold the flights, I'll probably lose them.

Any ideas?

Offline md

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »
I initiated two transfers from SPG to AA on Wednesday 12/14, and I was under the impression that they usually go through by Monday morning.  At this point, I have 2 (very hard to find) El Al reservations on hold with AA, which are going to be released tonight.  AA tells me that they don't even have any indication in my AA account that the transfer is pending, and SPG tells me that the transfer can take up to 14 days, and they can't give me any information about the status and ETA.  Based on the limited availability, AA tells me that if I try to release and re-hold the flights, I'll probably lose them.

Any ideas?
The only thing I can think of is to have the ticket paid with someone else's AA miles.

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2011, 11:53:09 PM »
For better or for worse, I've been getting quite an education in the transfer process..... I called back and spoke to a friendlier SPG rep, who did a little research on the transfers, and told me that within 24 hours after I made the transfer request, the miles were moved to a "pending box" on AA's end, just waiting for AA to "accept" the transferred miles. SPG also provide me with their "order number" for the transfers. SPG also told me that in special circumstances, they can request a rush on a transfer, which would take 24-48 hours. (In this case, my AA reservations were to be released sooner than 24 hours, so that wasn't an option.)  Since the transfers weren't accepted yet by AA, SPG also offered to reverse the transfers and restore the points to my SPG account. 

When I called back AA and asked them to look into why the points hadn't been accepted yet, they said they couldn't get any information since the desk that handles the transfers was closed. But it sounded like they may have been able to look into it during the daytime, using the order numbers from SPG.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2011, 12:39:52 AM »
For better or for worse, I've been getting quite an education in the transfer process..... I called back and spoke to a friendlier SPG rep, who did a little research on the transfers, and told me that within 24 hours after I made the transfer request, the miles were moved to a "pending box" on AA's end, just waiting for AA to "accept" the transferred miles. SPG also provide me with their "order number" for the transfers. SPG also told me that in special circumstances, they can request a rush on a transfer, which would take 24-48 hours. (In this case, my AA reservations were to be released sooner than 24 hours, so that wasn't an option.)  Since the transfers weren't accepted yet by AA, SPG also offered to reverse the transfers and restore the points to my SPG account. 

When I called back AA and asked them to look into why the points hadn't been accepted yet, they said they couldn't get any information since the desk that handles the transfers was closed. But it sounded like they may have been able to look into it during the daytime, using the order numbers from SPG.

So you lost the RSVPs? :(
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:14 AM »
So you lost the RSVPs? :(

I didn't have enough points in one account to book the tickets, so I had to split one round trip ticket into 2 one ways, so I could use points from a different account to book the return ticket. But in order to split the round trip, they had to release the return segment. Once they released it, it wasn't available anymore, and I had to settle for a different return flight.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
Ah, well I hope it all worked out.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2011, 02:06:51 PM »
Ah, well I hope it all worked out.

Could've been better, could've been worse. But the important lesson I learned is you really shouldn't assume your SPG transfer will go through any sooner than 14 days, regardless of what other people may have experienced.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2011, 03:35:29 PM »
Could've been better, could've been worse. But the important lesson I learned is you really shouldn't assume your SPG transfer will go through any sooner than 14 days, regardless of what other people may have experienced.
First and last names matched between the SPG and AA accounts?
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline milechazzer

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2011, 09:16:31 PM »
First and last names matched between the SPG and AA accounts?

Yes

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »
Anyone have experience transferring to flying club? (virgin atlantic)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2011, 10:16:57 AM »

Any ideas?

Im not sure where you got the idea that they usually go through on Mondays...IME, they always went through on Wednesdays and occasionally Thursdays of the following week. I believe the earlier posts in this thread suggested that as well.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2011, 10:20:26 AM »
I think AA lets them go through manually. When the guy has time, it happens

US, aeroplan, emirates,lufthansa... all post monday

Propbably they wanna check for matching names. If its small amounts they will let it pass, if its big amounts they will stop it. my guess

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
Starwood transfer names question
« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
I know this has been discussed but which airlines do the names not need to match when transferring from Spg

Specifically what's with Cathay

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 22, 2011, 02:59:28 PM »
how long does it usually take to transfer SPG to BA ( British Airways )?

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #197 on: December 22, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »
why would u do something like that?IME ba points are worth so little and spg points are worth so much more.
and with the promo with amex u definitely shouldn't transfer spg

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 22, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
why would u do something like that?IME ba points are worth so little and spg points are worth so much more.
and with the promo with amex u definitely shouldn't transfer spg
i don't have an amex charge card (to transfer points) and for short-haul flights BA can be worthwhile.

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2011, 04:14:36 PM »
yah but even ur points are worth less than spg