Author Topic: Get $20 Back with American Express!  (Read 45698 times)

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Get $20 Back with American Express!
« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »
I had one merchant that proccessed my cards from a dif. zip in georgia and amex was a pleasure :) I SMed and got $240 in credit.
One of the cards though was a citi.  They of course are being a pain.
This is what they wrote:

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We apologize but we do not have any information on that special offer. You will have to contact American Express directly.

should I just give up?

Offline Kvending

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »
should I just give up?

I would never give up. But don't spend to much time on it because then it's a waste & your time is valuable.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »
I had one merchant that proccessed my cards from a dif. zip in georgia and amex was a pleasure :) I SMed and got $240 in credit.
This is what they wrote:

We apologize but we do not have any information on that special offer. You will have to contact American Express directly.

should I just give up?
No. They often do this. Call if you have time.

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »
No. They often do this. Call if you have time.
Call citi or amex?

Offline lyla

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
This is what they wrote:

should I just give up?
I got my credit quicker with a CSR from  Citi ThankYou Premier Amex than with Amex blue card CSR. The Citi CSR immediately put the $20 credit on my account but the Amex CSR made me wait a week before he put the credit on my account.
Don't give up.  HUCA!

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
I made transactions with 8 cards in Raleigh for a total of $160. Unfortunately, I just found out yesterday that the merchant never actually processed my order because "the credit card transactions were declined because of mismatch of address/suspicion of fraud." Thus, the $20 statement credits I saw on my accounts were in fact reversals of the charges rather than promotional credits as I had assumed all along.

I wrote to American Express (SM on my SPG Biz card) to express my frustration that the promotion was not processed correctly due to Amex labeling the transactions as fraudulent. I asked for statement credits of $20 in lieu of the promotion. Customer Service wrote back that they would give me a $20 statement credit.

Now, I would like to request $20 statement credits for all of my cards (including AU on the SPG Biz card). Indeed, this is what I asked for in my original message. Perhaps the agent failed to realize this.  Should I write back to this representative to request that, or should I compose a separate message for each card and its own AU? Cahimmayer's experience seems to suggest that it can all be done with one fell swoop, but I don't know how his cards are organized or how his messages were composed.

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »
I made transactions with 8 cards in Raleigh for a total of $160. Unfortunately, I just found out yesterday that the merchant never actually processed my order because "the credit card transactions were declined because of mismatch of address/suspicion of fraud." Thus, the $20 statement credits I saw on my accounts were in fact reversals of the charges rather than promotional credits as I had assumed all along.

I wrote to American Express (SM on my SPG Biz card) to express my frustration that the promotion was not processed correctly due to Amex labeling the transactions as fraudulent. I asked for statement credits of $20 in lieu of the promotion. Customer Service wrote back that they would give me a $20 statement credit.

Now, I would like to request $20 statement credits for all of my cards (including AU on the SPG Biz card). Indeed, this is what I asked for in my original message. Perhaps the agent failed to realize this.  Should I write back to this representative to request that, or should I compose a separate message for each card and its own AU? Cahimmayer's experience seems to suggest that it can all be done with one fell swoop, but I don't know how his cards are organized or how his messages were composed.

I've done it all in one shot

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »
I don't have time now to show you a copy of my letter but suffice it to say I asked for credit on my cards (4 dif. + 1 biz) and the csr on his own credited each one and even wrote in the sm :

this acct. $60  - 20 for the one ending xxxx 20 for this one ending xxxx etc. etc.
this acct $20 for the card ending xxxx

I had this once before also and they on their own just looked for all the accounts it was relevant to and took care of it.
hope this helps, keep us posted

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »
I don't have time now to show you a copy of my letter but suffice it to say I asked for credit on my cards (4 dif. + 1 biz) and the csr on his own credited each one and even wrote in the sm :

this acct. $60  - 20 for the one ending xxxx 20 for this one ending xxxx etc. etc.
this acct $20 for the card ending xxxx

I had this once before also and they on their own just looked for all the accounts it was relevant to and took care of it.
hope this helps, keep us posted
Just received a response stating that "only one good-will gesture $20 credit will be issued." So I am composing a new request to be submitted via SM through a different card, and let's see what happens.

It could be that in my  case, having not actually spent the money or made any purchases at the small business (in view of the fact that the transaction was cancelled) they will be more reluctant to issue all this credit.

Offline lyla

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 25, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »
Just received a response stating that "only one good-will gesture $20 credit will be issued." So I am composing a new request to be submitted via SM through a different card, and let's see what happens.

It could be that in my  case, having not actually spent the money or made any purchases at the small business (in view of the fact that the transaction was cancelled) they will be more reluctant to issue all this credit.
Why would they give you a credit on each card if you never made the purchases since they were cancelled?

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 25, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
Why would they give you a credit on each card if you never made the purchases since they were cancelled?
I made the purchases on each card, but they were supposedly cancelled because American Express determined they were fraudulent.

Offline lyla

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 26, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
I made the purchases on each card, but they were supposedly cancelled because American Express determined they were fraudulent.
But if you weren't billed for these purchases then why would you think that you should get a promotional credit? The promotional credit is supposed to offset the charge to give you the item for nothing - not to give you an extra $20 that you DID NOT spend.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:05:52 PM by lyla »

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 27, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »
But if you weren't billed for these purchases then why would you think that you should get a promotional credit? The promotional credit is supposed to offset the charge to give you the item for nothing - not to give you an extra $20 that you DID NOT spend.
This is all true. However, the transactions were cancelled by no fault of my own. Moreover, the way that the transactions appeared on my statements made it appear as if they were processed and then credited with the promotional credits.

My point to American Express is that they can either allow me to take advantage of the promotion again or simply credit my accounts with the promotional value so that I may use that credit to offset my future purchase Raleigh. From their perspective, it's logistically easier to do the latter. In fact, that's what they have done already for one of my cards.