Author Topic: World Cup Master Thread  (Read 34464 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2014, 09:12:29 PM »
David and Goliath. Goliath falls again.
Who are you referring to?

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »
Mexico Netherlands.
What. A. Game.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2014, 11:44:13 PM »
Who are you referring to?
costa rica vs greece
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2014, 11:44:56 PM »
Mexico Netherlands.
What. A. Game.
felt bad for Mexico.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2014, 09:37:52 AM »
costa rica vs greece
I'd hardly call Greece a Goliath. Nor Costa Rica a David.
felt bad for Mexico.
Oh please, they played terribly, didn't deserve to win. And that's beside the fact that it wasn't even a bad call.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2014, 09:45:27 AM »
I'd hardly call Greece a Goliath. Nor Costa Rica a David.Oh please, they played terribly, didn't deserve to win. And that's beside the fact that it wasn't even a bad call.
costa rica has about the same population as South Carolina. that qualifies as a David in my book.

not sure what game you were watching. i guess you think it is ok to reward someone with a PK for constantly taking dives in the box.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »
costa rica has about the same population as South Carolina. that qualifies as a David in my book.

not sure what game you were watching. i guess you think it is ok to reward someone with a PK for constantly taking dives in the box.
Lol, what the heck does population have to do with anything? Was Netherlands (~17m) the David against Mexico (~120m), and will Belgium (~10m) be the David against the USA (~320m)?
[ETA: By contrast, Costa Rica (4.8m) played Greece (10.8m).]

All of the elements of a foul were there. The defender makes a play on the offensive player instead of the ball, there's contact, and the offensive player loses possession of the ball. Was the contact such that he had to fall? Of course not. But he was likely losing possession because of it, so he went down. The penalty was deserved.

Oh, and let's not forget that aside from Robben's more egregious first half flop, there was another instance where a foul and PK could easily have been called, and it was not. Mexico played terribly once the scored, and they're complaining like bitter sore losers, making it sound like a win was snatched from their hands, when in fact they'd already conceded an equalizer (fair and square even by Mexico's standards) and were in no way favorites to come out winners from that 1-1 deadlock.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2014, 10:54:29 AM »
All of the elements of a foul were there. The defender makes a play on the offensive player instead of the ball, there's contact, and the offensive player loses possession of the ball. Was the contact such that he had to fall? Of course not. But he was likely losing possession because of it, so he went down. The penalty was deserved.
the way you seen it.

Mexico played terribly once the scored,
you have a lot to learn about soccer. Mexico played a great game. the coach in the second half decide to go into a defensive shell thinking he could protect the lead. agree or disagree all you want with that decision but they played a great game.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »
the way you seen it.
you have a lot to learn about soccer. Mexico played a great game. the coach in the second half decide to go into a defensive shell thinking he could protect the lead. agree or disagree all you want with that decision but they played a great game.
Oh please, wise master, please teach me from your wellsprings of soccer knowledge.

First of all, bad coaching is included in my comment. LvG totally out coached Herrera, which makes Herrera's comments all the more galling. If anything other than the players themselves decided the game, it was the coaching moves before it was the refereeing, putting the loss on Hererra before the referee.

And second of all, if you're going to go into a defensive shell, you'd better not be giving away the ball left and right. Every one of the Dutch chances in the second half came off of a bad giveaway, either directly or indirectly. Marquez turned it over in the first half leading to the play where and both he and Moreno fouled Robben hard in the box with no call. Reyes had a careless giveaway that led to Robben's run and shot on goal, and only Ochoa's fantastic save prevented a goal there too. There are other examples as well.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
First of all, bad coaching is included in my comment. LvG totally out coached Herrera, which makes Herrera's comments all the more galling. If anything other than the players themselves decided the game, it was the coaching moves before it was the refereeing, putting the loss on Hererra before the referee.
was he outcoached in the first half? was he outcoached in the first 35 minutes of the second half? you want him to go toe to toe with the more powerful Netherlands? his 5-3-2 strategy worked just fine against Brazil.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2014, 12:48:54 PM »
Oh please, they played terribly, didn't deserve to win. And that's beside the fact that it wasn't even a bad call.
With all due respect. You don't know what you're talking about.
I read everything you wrote after this post and wouldn't even think of engaging in further discussion.
Just think it over and open your eyes.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »
was he outcoached in the first half? was he outcoached in the first 35 minutes of the second half? you want him to go toe to toe with the more powerful Netherlands? his 5-3-2 strategy worked just fine against Brazil.
News flash: the match lasts at least 90 minutes. Adjustments are just as important (if not more important) than the initial game-planning.
With all due respect. You don't know what you're talking about.
I read everything you wrote after this post and wouldn't even think of engaging in further discussion.
Just think it over and open your eyes.
Well, considering that your entire contribution to this thread has been one "Go Messi" post, I'm not exactly weeping at losing out on hearing your sage words.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »
News flash: the match lasts at least 90 minutes. Adjustments are just as important (if not more important) than the initial game-planning.
what ground breaking adjustments where made from either side in the last 10-20 minutes? did either side change their formations?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
what ground breaking adjustments where made from either side in the last 10-20 minutes? did either side change their formations?
If you expect adjustments to show results immediately, you're watching the wrong sport. LvG subbed Huntelaar in for RvP and moved Kuyt forward at the second cooling break. Everyone was wondering why he pulled RvP while leaving Sneijder out there. Guess what, Sneijder and Huntelaar scored their 2 goals. Not to mention the fact that on Sneijder's goal, Dupay - who LvG subbed in earlier in the second half - won the corner that led to it, and Huntelaar assisted on the goal.

Offline Q274

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2014, 04:05:49 PM »
just watched the highlights of the costa rico game (namely the penalty kicks) very dumb imho.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
If you expect adjustments to show results immediately, you're watching the wrong sport. LvG subbed Huntelaar in for RvP and moved Kuyt forward at the second cooling break. Everyone was wondering why he pulled RvP while leaving Sneijder out there. Guess what, Sneijder and Huntelaar scored their 2 goals. Not to mention the fact that on Sneijder's goal, Dupay - who LvG subbed in earlier in the second half - won the corner that led to it, and Huntelaar assisted on the goal.
you should have said from the beginning you were a big Netherlands fan. that would explain your posts.  :)

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
you should have said from the beginning you were a big Netherlands fan. that would explain your posts.  :)
I couldn't care less about the Netherlands, in fact I was rooting for Mexico. As much as the big name goal scorers get the headlines, absolutely no one did as much for his team as Ochoa did over the first 4 games. And Dos Santos's goal was pure skill, making something out of nothing. But the bottom line is, whether or not you think Robben was fouled, Mexico played worse over the whole 90+ minutes than the Netherlands did, period.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
mexico game plan for the second half was a defensive shell. they accomplished this for 43 minutes and you consider that being out played over the 90+ minutes?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2014, 04:51:24 PM »
mexico game plan for the second half was a defensive shell. they accomplished this for 43 minutes and you consider that being out played over the 90+ minutes?
They were outplayed starting from way before that. It's fine to go into a defensive shell, but you have to execute. You can't give the ball away so often, and certainly not in your own half.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »
They were outplayed starting from way before that. It's fine to go into a defensive shell, but you have to execute. You can't give the ball away so often, and certainly not in your own half.
i did not see all of the first half. mistakes are going to be made. when you are playing a defensive style 9 out of 10 times those mistakes will be on your half since that is where the game is being played.

not to change the subject but what's up with these cooling breaks? are you kidding me?