Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 1206650 times)

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks
« Reply #1960 on: June 24, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »
Anyone have any green today? My best performer is VZ, down 0.1%.
O is doing great for me....

Offline Centro

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: June 24, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »

Anyone have any green today?
לאמיר רעדן פון שמחות...

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: June 27, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »
Time to buy?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1963 on: June 27, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »
Time to buy?
Buy what?

If you have something of good quality and value that just got pulled down with everything else, then you might want to buy now.

Otherwise, I think volatility is the name of the game for a while.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: June 27, 2016, 01:39:17 PM »
Buy what?

If you have something of good quality and value that just got pulled down with everything else, then you might want to buy now.

Otherwise, I think volatility is the name of the game for a while.

he is asking if people think the markets overall will go lower and then he will buy whatever it is that he has been waiting to buy...

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: June 27, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »
he is asking if people think the markets overall will go lower and then he will buy whatever it is that he has been waiting to buy...
Yah, I wanna know if I should wait even longer?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: June 27, 2016, 01:55:15 PM »
Yah, I wanna know if I should wait even longer?

IMO if you plan on investing for the long term wait a little bit longer. The downside is worse then the upside right now and combined with the fact that prices are still relatively high and it will take legitimate catalysts to move them back higher while everyone is worrying over brexit. I could be totally wrong of course but just my 2c

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1967 on: June 27, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
IMO if you plan on investing for the long term wait a little bit longer. The downside is worse then the upside right now and combined with the fact that prices are still relatively high and it will take legitimate catalysts to move them back higher while everyone is worrying over brexit. I could be totally wrong of course but just my 2c

If one is investing for the long term, and the price (from a valuation standpoint) is good now, there should be no reason not to buy a bargain. If it goes even lower, maybe add. But if it's a bargain (from a valuation standpoint) at current prices, and the time frame is long enough, there's nothing to be lost by opening a long position (even if not the entire amount one wants to eventually take in that position).

I don't think we actually have any disagreement, I am just pointing out some thoughts to consider.

If I were to spot a good value at current prices, I would definitely pull the trigger (though it might be for a smaller position than I ultimately want to hold).

A volatile market as we have now, is probably best for traders (assuming they know what they are doing) not necessarily for buy and hold investors.
-- Dan

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 28, 2016, 12:25:47 PM »
Thoughts on picking up some more AAPL at this point? (Long term hold strategy)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: June 28, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »

It depends who you ask. Doug Kass is bearish on AAPL https://www.thestreet.com/story/13580256/1/valeant-apple-and-starbucks-doug-kass-views.html

For investors (not necessarily for traders) I personally think the one asset that is most likely to rise from current levels is US Treasuries. I just don't see how the world would not pile into them, given the global alternatives (German Bunds at negative rates and priced in a currency with an extremely uncertain future, Japanese Government Bonds - negative rates and MASSIVE debt to gdp, Swiss - negative rates and somewhat connected to European economy).
-- Dan

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: June 28, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »

When you talk about a company like apple, remember how much of their earnings is from sales in Eurasia. They might very well be in for a period of hurt now, and you just need to think that through before you decide if you like this price to buy.

In terms of "deals" that someone mentioned, there are definitely some out there but it takes work to identify them. For some stocks, the price drop is real but for others the price is dropping just because everything else is. I think companies that borrow rather than lend, and focus on domestic markets rather than multi-national are good niches to look at.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44:30 PM »
It depends who you ask. Doug Kass is bearish on AAPL https://www.thestreet.com/story/13580256/1/valeant-apple-and-starbucks-doug-kass-views.html

For investors (not necessarily for traders) I personally think the one asset that is most likely to rise from current levels is US Treasuries. I just don't see how the world would not pile into them, given the global alternatives (German Bunds at negative rates and priced in a currency with an extremely uncertain future, Japanese Government Bonds - negative rates and MASSIVE debt to gdp, Swiss - negative rates and somewhat connected to European economy).

If the rest of the world keeps piling into treasuries (as they are doing already), yields will probably continue to drop and market value of bonds you hold will rise, but do you really want to be holding treasury bonds if that doesn't materialize? The yield you'll get is miserable (1.4% on a 10 year) and you'd need to sell the bond at a loss to get out of it.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: June 28, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
If the rest of the world keeps piling into treasuries (as they are doing already), yields will probably continue to drop and market value of bonds you hold will rise, but do you really want to be holding treasury bonds if that doesn't materialize? The yield you'll get is miserable (1.4% on a 10 year) and you'd need to sell the bond at a loss to get out of it.

I don't buy treasuries directly, rather ETFs.

The question is how likely is this NOT to materialize?

There are TRILLIONS being poured into German, Japanese, Swiss and other bonds AT NEGATIVE RATES (which means the investor will get LESS than they paid, so getting 1.4% per year as well as your GUARANTEED principal in the world's reserve currency sounds MUCH better).

You have to realize who are the investors in these securities. They don't really have much choice. Insurance Companies, Banks, Governments, Pension Funds (and even mutual funds for some of their holdings). The demand outstrips supply. It's just not a balanced trade in my eyes. I think the upside (as in price appreciation - forget the yield) is much greater than the downside in the mid to long term. Short term - all asset classes are in for volatility.

The reason I bought into EUO just before the Brexit referendum was similar. I saw it as an unbalanced trade. Bet makers and markets were expecting remain, so if that would be the outcome, I would say there's a 50/50 chance of sell on the news (which would benefit EUO) or mild positive cheer (as severe fundamental problems of the EU and the Eurozone don't go away if Britain remains), whereas a vote to Leave (as actually happened) would result in a rather sharp move down (I wanted to bet on the Pound, but didn't find a similar ETF, so I settled for betting against the Euro).
-- Dan

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: June 28, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
What's the cheapest platform to trade options?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: June 28, 2016, 03:15:22 PM »
What's the cheapest platform to trade options?

I use OptionsHouse (I have grandfathered pricing, though I think their current pricing is not too bad). For me another important component was what kind of option trades are allowed in an IRA. They seem to allow anything that is legally allowable in an IRA.

InteractiveBrokers has cheap commissions, but you need to pay for data feeds (which could be waived with enough trades). I think account minimum is around $15,000

PlaceTrade uses the IB platform and doesn't seem to charge for data (can't confirm, but I don't see it on their site), but they only open accounts in certain states.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: June 28, 2016, 03:17:32 PM »
Any thoughts on GM at current levels?

Dividend yield is north of 5%! P/E under 5! PEG 0.29!
-- Dan

Offline yaacov37

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 28, 2016, 11:33:57 PM »

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 28, 2016, 11:39:39 PM »
Free trade with https://robinhood.com/referral/jacobl107/.
Referrals are against the rules and completely unnecessary to sign up there. Everyone is well aware of the existence of Robinhood.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: June 28, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »
Any thoughts on GM at current levels?

Dividend yield is north of 5%! P/E under 5! PEG 0.29!
Noob question: If they buy lyft, that will make their stock go up or down? (I'm talking about short term)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 28, 2016, 11:50:28 PM »
Noob question: If they buy lyft, that will make their stock go up or down? (I'm talking about short term)
If they buy it for $10, the stock will go up. If they buy it for $50 billion,  it will go down.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD