Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 1179320 times)

Offline pixi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks
« Reply #3060 on: March 12, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
Leave it for an eventual step up in basis (after 120)?
If I don't need the money right away, then why not.
money doesn't talk......      it SCREAMS !

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3061 on: March 12, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
Leave it for an eventual step up in basis (after 120)?

I would say that there's a significant chance that by the time @Dan reaches 120 (and probably much sooner) the step up in basis at death will be long gone from the IRC.

That being said, if the stock is held in a qualified account (tax deferred, with or without the availability of tax free withdrawals), it doesn't really make any difference.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: March 27, 2018, 06:16:01 PM »
Is FB buy, sell, or hold?

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #3063 on: March 27, 2018, 06:19:54 PM »
Is FB buy, sell, or hold?
Scared of a loss?
To me it seems like a buy.
*completely unqualified opinion*
Just my thoughts.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: March 27, 2018, 06:53:34 PM »
Scared of a loss?
To me it seems like a buy.
Just my thoughts.
Me too, but what do I know...

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #3065 on: March 27, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »

Me too, but what do I know...

The way I play such days is:
Hold anything I believe in.
Stop loss where necessary.
And buy what's stable, but down with everything else.
Such days are really hard to play, even for many professionals.
Just my thoughts.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: March 27, 2018, 07:09:14 PM »
I'm not thinking about the "day"; I'm looking at the past week or so, compared to the long term outlook of the company. Is it realistic that this issue is anything more than a blip? I personally have absolutely no experience with FB, but I hear that over a billion people do. This seems to be one of the most revolutionary businesses I've ever seen. If so, how is this anything other than a buying opportunity? (I'm not asking if it has bottomed out; that is impossible to predict. I just want to know if it will recover in the near to mid future).

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3067 on: March 28, 2018, 12:27:41 AM »
I'm not thinking about the "day"; I'm looking at the past week or so, compared to the long term outlook of the company. Is it realistic that this issue is anything more than a blip? I personally have absolutely no experience with FB, but I hear that over a billion people do. This seems to be one of the most revolutionary businesses I've ever seen. If so, how is this anything other than a buying opportunity? (I'm not asking if it has bottomed out; that is impossible to predict. I just want to know if it will recover in the near to mid future).
I have no position (long or short) in FB nor am I a user (other than WhatsApp, where I don't see any monetization).

Remember US Robotics? How about Research In Motion?

Those companies had products/platforms that at their time were ubiquitous, and ruled the market. There were other players in the social media space (pun intended) that many can barely remember.

Unlike Google (Alphabet) that is truly ubiquitous, and does everything to get into everyone's life, FB seems to be limited to its platform(s) of which one is either a user, or isn't.

Remember the outcry when people were losing their Google accounts? You think anyone would really care that much if they lost access to FB? Especially now?

I don't know what will happen. I am unfamiliar with the management team. I don't really follow the company. But I will not be surprised if a few short years from now it will be a memory like Palm Pilots (or should I say Pilot 3, which IINM was the last one produced under the US Robotics brand) or Blackberries.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: March 28, 2018, 12:32:21 AM »
I have no position (long or short) in FB nor am I a user (other than WhatsApp, where I don't see any monetization).

Those companies had products/platforms that at their time were ubiquitous, and ruled the market. There were other players in the social media space (pun intended) that many can barely remember.

Unlike Google (Alphabet) that is truly ubiquitous, and does everything to get into everyone's life, FB seems to be limited to its platform(s) of which one is either a user, or isn't.

Remember the outcry when people were losing their Google accounts? You think anyone would really care that much if they lost access to FB? Especially now?

I don't know what will happen. I am unfamiliar with the management team. I don't really follow the company. But I will not be surprised if a few short years from now it will be a memory like Palm Pilots (or should I say Pilot 3, which IINM was the last one produced under the US Robotics brand) or Blackberries.
Well said.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline pixi

• View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: March 28, 2018, 12:43:51 AM »

Over a billion users, and in a few years it'll be a thing from the past? I don't think so. (I don't have a FB account)

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: March 28, 2018, 01:19:08 AM »

Imagine Facebook deleted your account and your WhatsApp got blocked. Most people I know would be panicking. Regardless, I don’t think they’ll go the way of Palm Pilot, they’re already far more successful and diversified than any other failures you mentioned. But I hope they crumble.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: March 28, 2018, 05:57:02 AM »

As you said in the beginning, you don't have a FB account.( Neither do I)

However studies have consistently shown that over 70% percent of young American( IINM ) get their news from Facebook. Don't forget the 2.5 Billion ppl that use Facebook messaging, WhatsApp ( Which hasn't been Monatized yet btw...) And Instagram. They own Oculus ( total different direction ) along with dozens of other technological companies.

They're not going anywhere.

RIM and Palm Pilot were the pioneers of the smartphone age. That market along with social media has matured. Apple and Google now control the smartphone market. Facebook, along with WhatsApp and FB messenger, and Instagram have a variety of different handles on it.

Offline Ephraimh

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3072 on: March 28, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
All $FB products can still be around for the next hundred years and their revenue can easily be cut in half if not more.

I wouldn’t touch the stock with a 10 foot poll until we know how the new data collection regulations look like in light of this recent outcry.

The only way this company makes a dime, is by gathering your personal data and selling it to anyone and everyone who is willing to pay for it.

That model is now in jeopardy, at the mercy of lawmakers and bureaucrats who will try to please their angry constituents and the media (don’t forget Facebook is in direct competition with big media over those ad dollars..)

Facebook is a one trick pony, and that pony has a rare unknown disease right now which can either kill her or not, nobody knows.

Offline pixi

• View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: March 28, 2018, 09:00:11 AM »

The only way this company makes a dime, is by gathering your personal data and selling it to anyone and everyone who is willing to pay for it.
They make money from ads too.

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3074 on: March 28, 2018, 09:05:50 AM »
They only make money from ads.
FTFY
And the way they do it so effectively is by gathering your personal data for companies so those companies can tailor their ads appropriately..

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: March 28, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »
Time to buy FB?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: March 28, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »
All $FB products can still be around for the next hundred years and their revenue can easily be cut in half if not more.

I wouldn’t touch the stock with a 10 foot poll until we know how the new data collection regulations look like in light of this recent outcry.

That model is now in jeopardy, at the mercy of lawmakers and bureaucrats who will try to please their angry constituents and the media (don’t forget Facebook is in direct competition with big media over those ad dollars..)

Facebook is a one trick pony, and that pony has a rare unknown disease right now which can either kill her or not, nobody knows.
I agree 100% that the value of data over the last few years has been way over valued. I was referring to the question whether FB will fade just like RIM etc.

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: March 28, 2018, 02:16:48 PM »
I agree 100% that the value of data over the last few years has been way over valued. I was referring to the question whether FB will fade just like RIM etc.
Of course they won’t go away anytime soon I mean after all they do own 90% of the social space, but if they have to stop with the data collection and they’ll only be able to push those ads with little to no targeting then they’ll end up in the same place our ever so prominent radio and newspaper company’s ended up right there in bankruptcy valley.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3078 on: March 28, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »
Of course they won’t go away anytime soon I mean after all they do own 90% of the social space, but if they have to stop with the data collection and they’ll only be able to push those ads with little to no targeting then they’ll end up in the same place our ever so prominent radio and newspaper company’s ended up right there in bankruptcy valley.
Heard the same type of thing about Lucent and their fiberoptics.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: March 28, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »
They will never have to stop with data collection...

Regulated? Yes
More scrutiny? Yes
Worth less ? Perhaps

But there is no way it will be banned..