Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 279922 times)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks
« Reply #3075 on: March 28, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »
All $FB products can still be around for the next hundred years and their revenue can easily be cut in half if not more.

I wouldn’t touch the stock with a 10 foot poll until we know how the new data collection regulations look like in light of this recent outcry.

The only way this company makes a dime, is by gathering your personal data and selling it to anyone and everyone who is willing to pay for it.

That model is now in jeopardy, at the mercy of lawmakers and bureaucrats who will try to please their angry constituents and the media (don’t forget Facebook is in direct competition with big media over those ad dollars..)

Facebook is a one trick pony, and that pony has a rare unknown disease right now which can either kill her or not, nobody knows.
I agree 100% that the value of data over the last few years has been way over valued. I was referring to the question whether FB will fade just like RIM etc.

Online Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: March 28, 2018, 02:16:48 PM »
I agree 100% that the value of data over the last few years has been way over valued. I was referring to the question whether FB will fade just like RIM etc.
Of course they won’t go away anytime soon I mean after all they do own 90% of the social space, but if they have to stop with the data collection and they’ll only be able to push those ads with little to no targeting then they’ll end up in the same place our ever so prominent radio and newspaper company’s ended up right there in bankruptcy valley.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3077 on: March 28, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »
Of course they won’t go away anytime soon I mean after all they do own 90% of the social space, but if they have to stop with the data collection and they’ll only be able to push those ads with little to no targeting then they’ll end up in the same place our ever so prominent radio and newspaper company’s ended up right there in bankruptcy valley.
Heard the same type of thing about Lucent and their fiberoptics.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: March 28, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »
They will never have to stop with data collection...

Regulated? Yes
More scrutiny? Yes
Worth less ? Perhaps

But there is no way it will be banned..

Online Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: March 28, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »

Regulated? Yes
More scrutiny? Yes
Worth less ? Perhaps

You’re probably right and my
bankruptcy
comment was obviously tongue and cheek, bottom line is when you consider the fact that their targeting ability will likely be harmed by new regulation + the fact that if not outright deleting Facebook many many people will opt out from sharing their data with them in the future, then, as I wrote earlier
All $FB products can still be around for the next hundred years and their revenue can easily be cut in half if not more.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: March 28, 2018, 05:44:31 PM »

Regulated? Yes
More scrutiny? Yes
Worth less ? Perhaps

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: March 28, 2018, 05:51:02 PM »
You’re probably right and my  comment was obviously tongue and cheek, bottom line is when you consider the fact that their targeting ability will likely be harmed by new regulation + the fact that if not outright deleting Facebook many many people will opt out from sharing their data with them in the future, then, as I wrote earlier
Understood
Sure because the US Govt is dying to wipe off a few hundred Billion dollars and have a million+ ppl unemployed...

Online Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: March 28, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »
He is also as he usually is probably tongue and cheek. But his point is valid. Unlike Amazon on today’s news, Facebooks problems are real and it’s not a buying opportunity in my super humble opinion.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 28, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »
UnderstoodSure because the US Govt is dying to wipe off a few hundred Billion dollars and have a million+ ppl unemployed...
What does the US Govt have to do with what he wrote? All it takes is for someone with deep enough pockets to sue or a pro bono and then it is in the hands of a court. Liability is not regulation.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: March 28, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »

What does the US Govt have to do with what he wrote? All it takes is for someone with deep enough pockets to sue or a pro bono and then it is in the hands of a court. Liability is not regulation.

This is going to be the first time that huge corporations are sued? Microsoft as an example has had sooo many lawsuits it's not going to work

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: March 28, 2018, 06:05:57 PM »
This is going to be the first time that huge corporations are sued? Microsoft as an example has had sooo many lawsuits it's not going to work
The difference here is that one adverse ruling that they are a publisher not a platform can open the floodgates. Their entire model is based on them not having culpability for what is on their site.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: March 28, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »
The difference here is that one adverse ruling that they are a publisher not a platform can open the floodgates. Their entire model is based on them not having culpability for what is on their site.
What are the chances of something like that happening? My point is that while it may happen, in reality it probably won't. FB might have monetary loss, terrible publicity, regulators down their back, regulatory fines/settlements, a rough couple of months, but they will come out of this.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: March 28, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
What are the chances of something like that happening? My point is that while it may happen, in reality it probably won't. FB might have monetary loss, terrible publicity, regulators down their back, regulatory fines/settlements, a rough couple of months, but they will come out of this.
This has nothing to do with the privacy issues that people are busy with. I do not know the legalities of it to be able to give an opinion on the likelihood. Do you?

Offline thebudgetdeals

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: March 28, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
He is also as he usually is probably tongue and cheek. But his point is valid. Unlike Amazon on today’s news, Facebooks problems are real and it’s not a buying opportunity in my super humble opinion.
Amazon can get in the same kind of problem if the US govt decides its a monopoly than it will end up where microsoft after their anti trust... They are still not there but could be there 1 day

Online Ephraimh

• View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3089 on: March 28, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »
Amazon can get in the same kind of problem if the US govt decides its a monopoly than it will end up where microsoft after their anti trust... They are still not there but could be there 1 day
It’s a bit far fetched though, Trump is likely leaking this because it’s his only way he thinks he can possibly impact the Washington Posts coverage of him.

But realistically, last time I checked antitrust laws were made to protect consumers and I don’t think there are too many companies that so positively impacted the consumer like amazon did in recent years,
And besides, amazon may be swallowing up the online retail space, but have you checked out a small unknown company called Walmart? Check out their market share in non-online retail, check out their revenue vs Amazons revenue, why are they not in danger with anti trust laws?

The Washington Post will put up a few nice articles about Trump and all the anti trust and no taxes paid talk will vanish into thin air.

The whole thing is hoax.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:13:23 PM by Ephraimh »