Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 1179343 times)

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks
« Reply #3080 on: March 28, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »
They will never have to stop with data collection...

Regulated? Yes
More scrutiny? Yes
Worth less ? Perhaps

But there is no way it will be banned..
You’re probably right and my
bankruptcy
comment was obviously tongue and cheek, bottom line is when you consider the fact that their targeting ability will likely be harmed by new regulation + the fact that if not outright deleting Facebook many many people will opt out from sharing their data with them in the future, then, as I wrote earlier
All $FB products can still be around for the next hundred years and their revenue can easily be cut in half if not more.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3081 on: March 28, 2018, 05:44:31 PM »
They will never have to stop with data collection...

Regulated? Yes
More scrutiny? Yes
Worth less ? Perhaps

But there is no way it will be banned..

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/979085944639799296
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: March 28, 2018, 05:51:02 PM »
You’re probably right and my  comment was obviously tongue and cheek, bottom line is when you consider the fact that their targeting ability will likely be harmed by new regulation + the fact that if not outright deleting Facebook many many people will opt out from sharing their data with them in the future, then, as I wrote earlier
Understood
Sure because the US Govt is dying to wipe off a few hundred Billion dollars and have a million+ ppl unemployed...

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 28, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »
He is also as he usually is probably tongue and cheek. But his point is valid. Unlike Amazon on today’s news, Facebooks problems are real and it’s not a buying opportunity in my super humble opinion.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: March 28, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »
UnderstoodSure because the US Govt is dying to wipe off a few hundred Billion dollars and have a million+ ppl unemployed...
What does the US Govt have to do with what he wrote? All it takes is for someone with deep enough pockets to sue or a pro bono and then it is in the hands of a court. Liability is not regulation.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: March 28, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »

What does the US Govt have to do with what he wrote? All it takes is for someone with deep enough pockets to sue or a pro bono and then it is in the hands of a court. Liability is not regulation.

This is going to be the first time that huge corporations are sued? Microsoft as an example has had sooo many lawsuits it's not going to work

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: March 28, 2018, 06:05:57 PM »
This is going to be the first time that huge corporations are sued? Microsoft as an example has had sooo many lawsuits it's not going to work
The difference here is that one adverse ruling that they are a publisher not a platform can open the floodgates. Their entire model is based on them not having culpability for what is on their site.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: March 28, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »
The difference here is that one adverse ruling that they are a publisher not a platform can open the floodgates. Their entire model is based on them not having culpability for what is on their site.
What are the chances of something like that happening? My point is that while it may happen, in reality it probably won't. FB might have monetary loss, terrible publicity, regulators down their back, regulatory fines/settlements, a rough couple of months, but they will come out of this.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: March 28, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
What are the chances of something like that happening? My point is that while it may happen, in reality it probably won't. FB might have monetary loss, terrible publicity, regulators down their back, regulatory fines/settlements, a rough couple of months, but they will come out of this.
This has nothing to do with the privacy issues that people are busy with. I do not know the legalities of it to be able to give an opinion on the likelihood. Do you?

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: March 28, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
He is also as he usually is probably tongue and cheek. But his point is valid. Unlike Amazon on today’s news, Facebooks problems are real and it’s not a buying opportunity in my super humble opinion.
Amazon can get in the same kind of problem if the US govt decides its a monopoly than it will end up where microsoft after their anti trust... They are still not there but could be there 1 day

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3090 on: March 28, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »
Amazon can get in the same kind of problem if the US govt decides its a monopoly than it will end up where microsoft after their anti trust... They are still not there but could be there 1 day
It’s a bit far fetched though, Trump is likely leaking this because it’s his only way he thinks he can possibly impact the Washington Posts coverage of him.

But realistically, last time I checked antitrust laws were made to protect consumers and I don’t think there are too many companies that so positively impacted the consumer like amazon did in recent years,
And besides, amazon may be swallowing up the online retail space, but have you checked out a small unknown company called Walmart? Check out their market share in non-online retail, check out their revenue vs Amazons revenue, why are they not in danger with anti trust laws?

The Washington Post will put up a few nice articles about Trump and all the anti trust and no taxes paid talk will vanish into thin air.

The whole thing is hoax.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:13:23 PM by Ephraimh »

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: March 28, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »

But realistically, last time I checked antitrust laws were made to protect consumers

Lol

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3092 on: March 28, 2018, 09:29:09 PM »

Lol
You’re welcome. What’s your point besides you laughing out loud?

You’re probably gearing up with an entire history lesson on how and why the act was passed back in 1800’s

Bottom line is that antitrust is meant to protect the consumer, and amazon isn’t  something consumers have to be protected from, quite the opposite.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: March 28, 2018, 10:12:53 PM »
This has nothing to do with the privacy issues that people are busy with. I do not know the legalities of it to be able to give an opinion on the likelihood. Do you?

When was the last time that a company of that magnitude had a court decide in a way that brought the company to it's knees?

It’s a bit far fetched though, Trump is likely leaking this because it’s his only way he thinks he can possibly impact the Washington Posts coverage of him.

But realistically, last time I checked antitrust laws were made to protect consumers and I don’t think there are too many companies that so positively impacted the consumer like amazon did in recent years,
And besides, amazon may be swallowing up the online retail space, but have you checked out a small unknown company called Walmart? Check out their market share in non-online retail, check out their revenue vs Amazons revenue, why are they not in danger with anti trust laws?

The Washington Post will put up a few nice articles about Trump and all the anti trust and no taxes paid talk will vanish into thin air.

The whole thing is hoax.

Not so sure that Monopoly laws aren't applicable with Amazon. However just like Google and Microsoft have paid Billions in fines and are still going strong..it's not going to stop them...

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: March 28, 2018, 10:28:34 PM »
When was the last time that a company of that magnitude had a court decide in a way that brought the company to it's knees?

Not so sure that Monopoly laws aren't applicable with Amazon. However just like Google and Microsoft have paid Billions in fines and are still going strong..it's not going to stop them...
It would not happen immediately but can hurt significantly over the long term. Usually they would start settling and then change their practices to no longer be publishers

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: March 28, 2018, 10:45:35 PM »
Well of course you can make any type of legal case on anything under the sun, but Microsoft had a real monopoly back then, and I don’t think they denied the fact that they were pushing and manipulating people into their browser and stuff, and even then, the conservative right (current congress?) sided with Microsoft.

Fast forward to today, Amazon doesn’t really have a monopoly in retail, again check out Walmarts revenue vs. amazons and tell me who has the monopoly.

They might control online retail, but unlike Microsoft back in the day when they literally slowed down their competitors browsers on a platform they owned in order to push their own, Amazon simply provides the consumer with a better experience on the public web, amazon doesn’t own the web (ask Al Gore!) the way Microsoft owned windows back then.

Macy’s has the same right to operate online, Jet.com actually did that and now that Walmart owns them they’re giving amazon a run for their money,

So amazon doesn’t manipulate nada.

Again, was Apple violating anti trust because they provided a better product and crushed Nokia? No. Same with Amazon.

It’s a leveled playing field.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: March 28, 2018, 11:10:43 PM »

Until everyone is quashed and Amazon raises their prices to start making money on ecommerce.

How about comparing apples to apples: Amazon's % of total ecommerce sales vs Walmart's % of total B&M sales.
Percentage wise Amazon blows Walmart away.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: March 28, 2018, 11:14:46 PM »
It would not happen immediately but can hurt significantly over the long term. Usually they would start settling and then change their practices to no longer be publishers
I agree that they may be hurt.

My issue was/is with the claim that they will be sued into obliviation.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: March 28, 2018, 11:16:10 PM »
Well of course you can make any type of legal case on anything under the sun, but Microsoft had a real monopoly back then, and I don’t think they denied the fact that they were pushing and manipulating people into their browser and stuff, and even then, the conservative right (current congress?) sided with Microsoft.

Fast forward to today, Amazon doesn’t really have a monopoly in retail, again check out Walmarts revenue vs. amazons and tell me who has the monopoly.

They might control online retail, but unlike Microsoft back in the day when they literally slowed down their competitors browsers on a platform they owned in order to push their own, Amazon simply provides the consumer with a better experience on the public web, amazon doesn’t own the web (ask Al Gore!) the way Microsoft owned windows back then.

Macy’s has the same right to operate online, Jet.com actually did that and now that Walmart owns them they’re giving amazon a run for their money,

So amazon doesn’t manipulate nada.

Again, was Apple violating anti trust because they provided a better product and crushed Nokia? No. Same with Amazon.

It’s a leveled playing field.

Just because someone can open up an online shop in 5 minutes does not mean they can compete. Amazon Prime/FBA is a true force to reckon with. Currently ~50% of shopping searches START on Amazon. If in 5 years from now Walmart does not succeed in its online battle against Amazon I think we will see an anti-trust suit case opened against Amazon.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: March 28, 2018, 11:18:27 PM »
For anyone who has too much time on their hands, read this abut the Amazon anti-trust debate:
https://www.yalelawjournal.org/note/amazons-antitrust-paradox
Visibly Jewish