Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 283122 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Stocks
« Reply #3150 on: April 23, 2018, 08:23:12 AM »
Yes, everything could and does happen again. People say, this time is different, it never is.
+1
This is something we can all agree upon. That is why it is important to be accurate and truthful about what happened. I've also needs to be mindful that things will happen that never happened before as well. On occasion things really will be different.

Btw, if you think that measures of volatility are not used as a part of buffet's analysis you are quite mistaken. He may use standard or average deviation or one of a number of other calculations but I guarantee that it is part of his decision process. Probably more so with him than others since he is a proponent of trading short term volatility for long term gains.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline thebudgetdeals

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: April 23, 2018, 08:38:52 AM »
This is something we can all agree upon. That is why it is important to be accurate and truthful about what happened. I've also needs to be mindful that things will happen that never happened before as well. On occasion things really will be different.

Btw, if you think that measures of volatility are not used as a part of buffet's analysis you are quite mistaken. He may use standard or average deviation or one of a number of other calculations but I guarantee that it is part of his decision process. Probably more so with him than others since he is a proponent of trading short term volatility for long term gains.
Short term voltality can be used when you buy a few hundred or thousands shares, when invest in chunk of a company with billions of dollars investment you cant use short term volatility as your transactions by itself change the market price, as well when taking whole companies private its not on short term volatility that you make decisions as it is a process that is months in the makings. and as buffet always says that his favorite selling time is "NEVER" its not such a big difference for him the a 10%+- if he looks how much this investment will be worth in 100 years from now

Offline aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3152 on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:54 AM »
Short term voltality can be used when you buy a few hundred or thousands shares, when invest in chunk of a company with billions of dollars investment you cant use short term volatility as your transactions by itself change the market price, as well when taking whole companies private its not on short term volatility that you make decisions as it is a process that is months in the makings. and as buffet always says that his favorite selling time is "NEVER" its not such a big difference for him the a 10%+- if he looks how much this investment will be worth in 100 years from now
You totally have no clue what I wrote. What you you are describing IS trading short term volatility for long term gains. The concept is a quote from his mentor Benjamin Graham.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: April 23, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »

Very well said!
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: April 26, 2018, 05:25:04 PM »
Massive beat by amzn!
Amzn market cap is going to open tomorrow the closest itís ever been to take away the #1 spot from aapl..
If aapl misses on Tuesday, or even falls flat (as it sure so seems from chip makers last week and from Samsungís report today) amzn is going to get that spot as easy as, well, Trump opens his Twitter app..

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3155 on: April 26, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »
Starting to think though, amzn is making its investors very comfortable with these massive bottom line beats [for the second Q in a row now], what happens if Bezos gets back into his old habit of spending and decides to experiment if ordering a Whole Foods order via Alexa and ship it to Jupiter overnight for example is within his reach, and as a result hurting the bottom line, will investors still give him a pass?

Offline Deal woman

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: July 01, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
Hello all. Great discussions here!
Question: what are the best brokerage  bank deal / incentives given when moving your stock account from one house to the other? I know some give cash incentives for different amounts but itís hard to find out  what is available.
Thanks!

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: July 13, 2018, 10:46:43 AM »
Not a joke. I went in at $930. When do I take my profits and go home?
Donít sell!
If youíre really uncomfortable being a hog sell 20% and wait for a dip to buy back, but that dip just came and went last month, there is no reason this shouldnít rise to $1,800 now, stay the course!
Crossed $1,800.. still holding it?

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold and whatever
« Reply #3158 on: July 13, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
I would still hold.  I think this new sales tax law will do good for them.  But it ain't my money so don't follow my assumptions

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #3159 on: August 09, 2018, 12:17:57 PM »
$1,900 and still holding :D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online farmbochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:44 PM »
How would a leveraged position in a diversified fund with like risk have performed over the same period?
Risk is opportunity

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: August 09, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
Nice! Just be aware that youíre riding a momentum stock that gets its flying power primarily from a top line revenue growth engine, the second that engine breaks down itíll drop right back into the traditional PE ratio hemisphere, case in point, their last report showed some engine fatigue signs by missing revenue numbers and beating (albeit massively thanks to their cloud and ad businesses) EPS numbers, acting more like a traditional mature company, so be aware.. not saying the story is over, just be cautious..

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #3162 on: August 09, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »
Nice! Just be aware that youíre riding a momentum stock that gets its flying power primarily from a top line revenue growth engine, the second that engine breaks down itíll drop right back into the traditional PE ratio hemisphere, case in point, their last report showed some engine fatigue signs by missing revenue numbers and beating (albeit massively thanks to their cloud and ad businesses) EPS numbers, acting more like a traditional mature company, so be aware.. not saying the story is over, just be cautious..
+1  But I think as long as the overall stock market keeps going up--which is finally going to end real bad---AMZN might keep making new highs, what is scary is that on the monthly chart is is showing a parabola -parabolic rise- just like Bitcoin when I shorted it.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #3163 on: August 10, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »
Shorted AMD @ 19.42.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #3164 on: August 10, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »
Played HTZ from $15.17 to $19.80.
Back in at $18.71
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch