Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 1179108 times)

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
Re: Stocks
« Reply #3460 on: January 09, 2019, 01:51:45 AM »
Common, Palladium is a total outlier driven entirely by low supply and high demand for car parts, nothing to do with the broader market or interest rates, all other PMs tend to underperform the markets when hawkishness is in the air

And as it relates to Palladium, wait until one of these car manufacturers announces that they’re switching from Palladium to Platinum.. don’t think it’ll reach any new all time highs then, it’s one announcement away from a huge permanent drop, although that might never happen.
You are 100% correct, I started buying palladium in quantity in 2008 from $200 all the way to around  $400 , but I sold too early at $680 and $785. I do not hold any palladium . platinum is worth a look at the current prices.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline miles lover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: January 09, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
Should I sell Netflix now ?

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: January 09, 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
Should I sell Netflix now ?
At what price did you buy? There is strong resistance between $330-$340 and earnings are out next week. Maybe sell half of your position now if you have a good profit.

Offline miles lover

• View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: January 09, 2019, 05:52:15 PM »
At what price did you buy? There is strong resistance between $330-$340 and earnings are out next week. Maybe sell half of your position now if you have a good profit.
I bought at 286. I don’t understand the difference at what price I bought this specific stock at. If it’s a good investment then I’ll keep it if it’s not then I’ll sell.. am I missing something ? Also what justifies this stock being at 115 P/E ?wth.

Offline miles lover

• View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: January 09, 2019, 05:54:32 PM »
Should have bought Phun today with a stop right under my price I paid. Was thinking  about it. Shoots. I guess I need more understanding on the stop loss and stocks in general before I do higher risk stocks.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: January 09, 2019, 06:01:57 PM »
I bought at 286. I don’t understand the difference at what price I bought this specific stock at. If it’s a good investment then I’ll keep it if it’s not then I’ll sell.. am I missing something ? Also what justifies this stock being at 115 P/E ?wth.
I asked at what price to see if you have a decent profit, earnings coming in a week, taking a partial profit by selling half is always good, and remember NFLX was a $15 stock in 2013, up all the way to $420 in 2018 and now at $320, the 115 P/E means investors and funds have high expectations for future growth and are willing to pay up.

Offline miles lover

• View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: January 10, 2019, 02:36:53 PM »
I made a stop loss on DOVA at 7.65. Why did it sell today if the low of the day was 7.70 ?

Offline TBD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: January 10, 2019, 07:49:05 PM »
I made a stop loss on DOVA at 7.65. Why did it sell today if the low of the day was 7.70 ?
9:50 AM  $7.57

Offline miles lover

• View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: January 10, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »
9:50 AM  $7.57
Hmm your right. On robinhood it shows a low of 7.70. Weird

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: January 10, 2019, 08:23:25 PM »
I have $7.56 as the low.

Offline miles lover

• View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: January 10, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »
I have $7.56 as the low.
Yep me too. I was checking on robinhood and it was showing 7.70 low there. Either way I lost out on the sell :(

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: January 10, 2019, 09:18:28 PM »
Yep me too. I was checking on robinhood and it was showing 7.70 low there. Either way I lost out on the sell :(
Good luck on next trade, but picking a stop and sticking to it is the right way ,you did the right thing. I was once short 20 crude oil futures contracts, my stop was hit by 1 tick, and then within 3 hours crude was down 5 $.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3472 on: January 16, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-01-15/stock-pickers-know-how-to-buy-but-not-how-to-sell

Interesting.

There's an age-old adage that says that money is made when you buy, which the managers seem to be good at, but knowing when to sell is an art in an of itself.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline miles lover

• View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: January 17, 2019, 09:52:40 PM »
Can someone explain why someone would sell a call for under the stock price currently ? I see options to buy a call for AAPL at the moment for Feb 8th that cost $22.83 for a strike price of $133. The total is $155.83 which is lower then the stock price at the moment which is $156.00. He needs the capital now ? I see many other similar cases which are even more below the current stock price.

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: January 17, 2019, 10:53:05 PM »
Can someone explain why someone would sell a call for under the stock price currently ? I see options to buy a call for AAPL at the moment for Feb 8th that cost $22.83 for a strike price of $133. The total is $155.83 which is lower then the stock price at the moment which is $156.00. He needs the capital now ? I see many other similar cases which are even more below the current stock price.
My guess is you are looking at the current option price (last executed trade) and not the current offer. The option price is lagging behind the stock price and you wouldn't actually be able to purchase the option at that price because the offers are higher.

Did you see this after hours or during?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: January 18, 2019, 12:14:36 PM »

Check volume and open interest. Most likely there is very little, so the last trade is not true to current market price. Feb 8th is not the 3rd Friday of the month, so it naturally has a lot less volume until very close to expiry.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3476 on: January 28, 2019, 06:16:05 AM »
The tragedy in Brazil brings back memories of the investment opportunities that existed due to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Brazil markets were closed when the dam broke, ADRs took a significant hit (my guess is that’s there’s more downside today as the death toll is rising, along with criticism of such a disaster happening less than 5 years after a similar one (previous one being much larger in volume, but lower death toll).

In any event, in situations like these I think the stock is way too risky, as governments might end up forcing a breakup of companies involved in environmental disasters. However there might be good opportunities in trading the bonds, as there’s definitely underlying value to the company.

Back in the Deepwater Horizon days there was some nice money to be made trading or investing in BP bonds (they were selling at about an 8% yield at a time of very low yields everywhere IIRC). I regretted not going into that trade with a more substantial investment.

I haven’t looked into VALE bonds yet, but I would guess that they might not have the same market as BP bonds.
-- Dan

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: January 28, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
The tragedy in Brazil brings back memories of the investment opportunities that existed due to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Brazil markets were closed when the dam broke, ADRs took a significant hit (my guess is that’s there’s more downside today as the death toll is rising, along with criticism of such a disaster happening less than 5 years after a similar one (previous one being much larger in volume, but lower death toll).

In any event, in situations like these I think the stock is way too risky, as governments might end up forcing a breakup of companies involved in environmental disasters. However there might be good opportunities in trading the bonds, as there’s definitely underlying value to the company.

Back in the Deepwater Horizon days there was some nice money to be made trading or investing in BP bonds (they were selling at about an 8% yield at a time of very low yields everywhere IIRC). I regretted not going into that trade with a more substantial investment.

I haven’t looked into VALE bonds yet, but I would guess that they might not have the same market as BP bonds.
Which stocks are you looking at?Vale?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 04:50:08 PM by ludmila »

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: January 28, 2019, 04:56:57 PM »
Which stocks are you looking at?Vale?

I am trying to look at VALE bonds. The stock is taking a serious beating since Friday, and is still extremely risky IMHO. If the bonds get equally punished, I think they might be attractive, as I believe there's enough value there to be protected, even in a worst case scenario (think PCG - and I still view that as risky even with the latest news https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/28/pge-shares-rise-15percent-following-report-of-4-billion-plan-to-avert-bankruptcy-stock-halted.html).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:01:30 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: January 28, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
I am trying to look at VALE bonds. The stock is taking a serious beating since Friday. If the bonds get equally punished, I think they might be attractive.
Thanks, worth keeping an eye, on the stock too. I am not experienced with bonds ,please update if you think they are a buy. I added the stock to my quotes screen.