Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 1179555 times)

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks
« Reply #3520 on: March 20, 2019, 03:40:31 PM »
I agree with the overreaction as it relates to the issue at hand, but what is BA actually worth?
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ba/analystestimates

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3521 on: March 20, 2019, 04:08:54 PM »
Is that a trading analysis or an investing analysis (I've fixed your quote to reflect the numbers you meant to put there). I claim ignorance if you're talking from a trading standpoint, and refer to @ludmila, but from an investing standpoint, I don't see the compelling screaming buy. Is the company not fairly valued at ~20x ( future ) TTM earnings (probably not counting the aftermath of the MAX - which I believe will end up being a small bump in the long run). Is there an earnings growth catalyst that would put it on a trajectory to earn that much more, making 20x ( future ) TTM earning (or 18x ( TTM ) Forward earnings) a bargain?
I think youre mixing up TTM P/E and Forward P/E in your post.. i don't think BA is forecasting an earnings decline.. so I FTFY

But i agree to the essence of your point, BA is no screaming buy here, the recent run-up before the latest crash (pun intended) was very overbought, the historical PE data tells the whole story

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3522 on: March 22, 2019, 01:46:52 PM »
I think youre mixing up TTM P/E and Forward P/E in your post.. i don't think BA is forecasting an earnings decline.. so I FTFY

But i agree to the essence of your point, BA is no screaming buy here, the recent run-up before the latest crash (pun intended) was very overbought, the historical PE data tells the whole story

Thank you for correcting my TTM vs Forward P/E, I wasn't paying attention as I was typing, was switching tabs back and forth from the stock quote to the DDF post. Might I add, that a ~2.2% dividend yield (that could be cut if there's significant fallout from the current MAX issues) doesn't adequately compensate for the risk.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3523 on: March 22, 2019, 01:50:09 PM »
What do you guys think about Treasuries now that the Fed seems to have indicated that it's (at least) on hold, and the yield curve is super flat and has several inversion points? Are we at the beginning of another bull run in longer dated treasuries? TLT or ZROZ for ETF plays?

And then I just saw this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-22/traders-are-blindsided-again-by-treasuries-paying-same-as-cash

“In many respects, the U.S. 10-year Treasury is still, in an low-yielding world, a high-yielding asset,”
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:16:22 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #3524 on: March 22, 2019, 03:52:26 PM »
What do you guys think about Treasuries now that the Fed seems to have indicated that it's (at least) on hold, and the yield curve is super flat and has several inversion points? Are we at the beginning of another bull run in longer dated treasuries? TLT or ZROZ for ETF plays?

And then I just saw this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-22/traders-are-blindsided-again-by-treasuries-paying-same-as-cash
I think you have a point here, in a January if I recall correctly, my mentor, Trader Vic said to buy physical gold and silver as a hold not a trade and long term treasuries, Ill have to check it again , he is very negative about stocks technically and fundamentally, thinks the FED went too fast in raising rates and even in January he said they will have to pause, retreat or even lower as a bear market in stocks is coming and a recession somewhere around July.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #3525 on: March 23, 2019, 11:02:39 PM »

even in January he said they will have to pause, retreat or even lower as a bear market in stocks is coming and a recession somewhere around July.

S&P up 13.9% YTD

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: March 23, 2019, 11:40:43 PM »

S&P up 13.9% YTD
This was his comment for investors who are long term holders. Do not forget also that before the last bounce we had close to a 600 point drop in the S&P from October through December, and Friday's close did not look good. On the other hand, with the FED saying they will not raise interest rates in 2019, with even a possibility of easing again, this could benefit stocks and long term treasuries .
I myself shorted the ES futures on Friday @ 2859, I am using a tight stop @ 2870, it closed @ 2807.50 on Friday.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: March 27, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »

And interestingly:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-27/long-duration-bond-etf-sees-record-outflows-even-as-fund-rallies?srnd=premium
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: March 28, 2019, 10:43:03 PM »
But the trade of the century was Palladium which doubled since last August, I feel so bad by selling all my palladium physical holdings between $680 and $740, I was in between $250 and $300, reached $1600 today , very overbought now , and could be the best short in the near future.

Did you short?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-28/palladium-bubble-has-burst-in-metal-s-biggest-drop-since-2010
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:46:37 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: March 28, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »
Did you short?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-28/palladium-bubble-has-burst-in-metal-s-biggest-drop-since-2010
Yes, shorted 3 contracts at $1603 ,did not have the guts to do more, it went down so fast that I covered today at $1347, it dropped $200 in 2 days .I caught the exact top like with Bitcoin, was very lucky timing wise.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: March 28, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »
Yes, shorted 3 contracts at $1603 ,did not have the guts to do more, it went down so fast that I covered today at $1347, it dropped $200 in 2 days .
Good for you.

How many Ozs. is a contract?
-- Dan

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: March 28, 2019, 11:02:50 PM »
Good for you.

How many Ozs. is a contract?
Palladium is 100 oz, Platinum 50 oz. 

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3532 on: March 29, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
LYFT opened at $87, 20% up its IPO price anyone’s buying?

Offline Hudi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: April 01, 2019, 03:23:27 PM »
LYFT opened at $87, 20% up its IPO price anyone’s buying?

Down to $69 now. Buy?

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: April 01, 2019, 03:24:57 PM »
Down to $69 now. Buy?
No.

(IHMO of course)

Offline Hudi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: April 01, 2019, 03:32:15 PM »
No.

(IHMO of course)

Care to share your thought process?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: April 01, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »

I think the onus is on anyone contemplating buying a company that loses money as to their thought process, rather than asking someone who says he's not buying a money-losing company for his thought process to justify any price paid.
-- Dan

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: April 01, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »
Lyft has great top-line (revenue) numbers and growth and hypesters are downplaying the terrible bottom line numbers because the company is young (using the "look at Amazon" refrain). But anyone could easily create a company like this overnight, for example by selling $100 bills for $75 (DDF would be all over it). Which is not far off from Lyft's actual business model. The IPO was an attempt to see if they could sell $75 bills for $100 on Wall Street.

Offline Newberry

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: April 01, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »
I really like payapl stock. They are so easy to use, offer an extra layer of security and customer protection. I also see them on more and more websites every day. I can not think of a competitor that has the equal benefits and near equal market penetration.

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3539 on: April 01, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
The only positive thing it has going for itself is that it has growth potential.. but that’s it, everything else stinks.

Bleeding money / ridiculous P/S valuation / September lockup / Uber IPO incoming

Plus I’m not sure that their duopoly they’re enjoying with Uber right now will hold up too long, and even if it does hold up and competition dies down, B2C duopoly isn’t as flashy as B2B duopoly.

Also, they won’t get the Amazon lose-all-you-want-as-long-as-you’re-growing treatment because it’s a (1) taxi business with (2) competition.