Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 1179534 times)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks
« Reply #3720 on: February 02, 2020, 08:04:00 PM »
Dollar cost averaging.Common sense. You can’t time the market.You’re welcome.
Personally, if I have funds to invest, I feel most comfortable investing a lump sum in one shot -  somewhere between 30-80% of the total funds, and dollar cost averaging the rest. In a long term bull market I’d start with a lower lump sum and a larger amount during a bear market. I don’t remember reading this anywhere, but it’s what I’m comfortable with and it makes sense to me.
Like. Same.
How's that?

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: February 02, 2020, 08:14:35 PM »
How's that?
You can/should play around with DCA.

If you know nothing about a stock you’re better off with simple DCA because without it you might be buying with a lumpier sum at historically high multiples at the end of a bull run.

If you do know a thing or two about the stock you can do the bulk of the purchase upfront if the stock is historically cheap or after a leg lower and then add on the rest as time progresses, or if the multiple is stretched and you’re well into a bull run, start out slow and if it takes a dip you buy with a bigger lump.

Don’t treat Dollar Cost Averaging as a rule, treat it as a concept.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3722 on: February 02, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »
Personally, if I have funds to invest, I feel most comfortable investing a lump sum in one shot -  somewhere between 30-80% of the total funds, and dollar cost averaging the rest. In a long term bull market I’d start with a lower lump sum and a larger amount during a bear market. I don’t remember reading this anywhere, but it’s what I’m comfortable with and it makes sense to me.

From the Mauldin article (emphasis added):

I’m not against buy-and-hold indexing. It deserves a place in some portfolios. My main problem with it is that very few people can hold on through the kind of drawdowns that happen every few years. They’ll say they can handle it, and sincerely mean it. You can give them suitability questionnaires, personality profiles, and any other kind of test. You can promise to hold their hand through tough times. But when half their life savings disappears within what seems like a matter of weeks, and they were counting on that money to reach their dreams, almost everyone gives up. They typically will regret it later because they probably sold near the bottom. But their reaction was natural and predictable. I don’t see the value of setting up yourself or your clients for that outcome.

This isn’t just conjecture. We have 25 years of Dalbar’s QAIB (Quantitative Analysis of Investor Behavior) studies. Dalbar looks at mutual fund inflows and outflows to measure actual investor results, given when they bought and sold. They have consistently found the average investor’s return sharply lags those long-term returns the funds advertise. In 2018, when the S&P 500 retreated -4.4%, the average investor lost more than twice as much, -9.4%. This is greed and fear at work.

Buy-and-hold strategies presume you can remove greed and fear from the equation. That is possibly true for a few highly educated, disciplined people. Not most, or anything close to most. Investors are human. They have emotions. Those emotions aren’t going anywhere, nor do we want them to, because they are important to other parts of life.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: February 02, 2020, 08:57:07 PM »
You can/should play around with DCA.

If you know nothing about a stock you’re better off with simple DCA because without it you might be buying with a lumpier sum at historically high multiples at the end of a bull run.

If you do know a thing or two about the stock you can do the bulk of the purchase upfront if the stock is historically cheap or after a leg lower and then add on the rest as time progresses, or if the multiple is stretched and you’re well into a bull run, start out slow and if it takes a dip you buy with a bigger lump.

Don’t treat Dollar Cost Averaging as a rule, treat it as a concept.
Well said. For the record, we're talking about investing in a broad based stock/bond index fund. So the questions you raise are as pertains to the general economy/market.

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Stocks
« Reply #3724 on: February 02, 2020, 08:57:17 PM »
From the Mauldin article (emphasis added):
Guess I’m part of the “very few people” then...

I started buying Apple in May or June of 2012, Apple peaked at $705 (pre split, or $100 post split) on Rosh Hashanah of that year which was on a Monday and a Tuesday in mid September, it went into a free fall over the next few months we’ll into 2013, before bottoming somewhere in the $300s—

I didn’t sell one share on the way down, I kept on buying, my average cost was/is (I still own 80% of it) $450ish (or mid $60s post split).

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3725 on: February 02, 2020, 09:24:37 PM »

I started buying Apple in May or June of 2012, Apple peaked at $705 (pre split, or $100 post split) on Rosh Hashanah of that year which was on a Monday and a Tuesday in mid September, it went into a free fall over the next few months we’ll into 2013, before bottoming somewhere in the $300s—

I didn’t sell one share on the way down, I kept on buying, my average cost was/is (I still own 80% of it) $450ish (or mid $60s post split).

You had strong conviction in the investment thesis for AAPL (you were not the only one). That is not the same as broader index investing.

You also have a long enough time horizon and can probably recover and live even if you lost everything you invested in it (I don’t think you would, but from the way you write it seems like you’re not the “poor man” in Richard Russell’s article - who “needs” his investment to work for him).
-- Dan

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: February 02, 2020, 09:51:09 PM »
Well said. For the record, we're talking about investing in a broad based stock/bond index fund. So the questions you raise are as pertains to the general economy/market.
You can apply the same logic to index funds etc. the SPY has an historic PE ratio to judge from

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: February 02, 2020, 09:57:38 PM »
You had strong conviction in the investment thesis for AAPL (you were not the only one). That is not the same as broader index investing.

You also have a long enough time horizon and can probably recover and live even if you lost everything you invested in it (I don’t think you would, but from the way you write it seems like you’re not the “poor man” in Richard Russell’s article - who “needs” his investment to work for him).

Maybe.

But everybody has a certain amount of money to which Richard Russell’s article should be irrelevant.

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: February 03, 2020, 10:58:10 AM »
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: February 03, 2020, 11:41:46 AM »

Same here. I'm not a major investor but I grew up and learned with the patience mindset.
I've held onto losses many times for years until they recovered. My problem has been selling too early (mostly at a modest gain) when I needed the money for my business. So many stocks I wanted to hold on to. AAPL, MSFT, WMT, among others.
Visibly Jewish

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: February 03, 2020, 11:51:19 AM »
Same here. I'm not a major investor but I grew up and learned with the patience mindset.
I've held onto losses many times for years until they recovered. My problem has been selling too early (mostly at a modest gain) when I needed the money for my business. So many stocks I wanted to hold on to. AAPL, MSFT, WMT, among others.

Hopefully investing the proceeds of the sale in your business generated more profits than holding on to the stocks would have.
-- Dan

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: February 03, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
Hopefully investing the proceeds of the sale in your business generated more profits than holding on to the stocks would have.

It did but picking winning stocks strokes my ego better :D
Visibly Jewish

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: February 03, 2020, 11:54:53 AM »

That doesn't sound right at all!!!

You picked a winning stock in your own business that did better than any of those publicly traded ones, you should be proud of that!

(BTW, this is emblematic of the Rich Man Poor Man contrast that Richard Russell points to. The rich man invests in his business knowing that he can control it and do better, while the poor man is just hoping someone else will generate profits for him. That doesn't mean that the rich man doesn't invest in other businesses that he doesn't run, such as publicly-traded ones, when he sees the value in them or for the sake of diversity).
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3733 on: February 03, 2020, 12:02:25 PM »
Running a business that gives better returns doesn't?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: February 03, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »
That doesn't sound right at all!!!

You picked a winning stock in your own business that did better than any of those publicly traded ones, you should be proud of that!

(BTW, this is emblematic of the Rich Man Poor Man contrast that Richard Russell points to. The rich man invests in his business knowing that he can control it and do better, while the poor man is just hoping someone else will generate profits for him. That doesn't mean that the rich man doesn't invest in other businesses that he doesn't run, such as publicly-traded ones, when he sees the value in them or for the sake of diversity).

Well I'm not a fan of trying to satisfy my ego, so it's not right regardless of what I say.

Running a business that gives better returns doesn't?

I feel God's hand in my own business much more than I do in the stocks I choose.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3735 on: February 03, 2020, 12:18:21 PM »
Well I'm not a fan of trying to satisfy my ego, so it's not right regardless of what I say.

I feel God's hand in my own business much more than I do in the stocks I choose.
That is more a question of where you feel His hand than anything else!
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: February 03, 2020, 12:26:30 PM »

INDEED!!!!!

It is priceless. Someone who hasn't been in business for themselves has no clue of how much one sees G-d's hand when in business for themselves.

It is worth all the trials and tribulations one might go through in business just to be able to see this in such an obvious manner!
-- Dan

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #3737 on: February 03, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
ok seriously TSLA? how does a company becomes 3x more valuable in the span of 5 months? ???
#TYH

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: February 03, 2020, 02:31:12 PM »
ok seriously TSLA? how does a company becomes 3x more valuable in the span of 5 months? ???
If the thought of buying this stock crossed your mind when the stock was in the dumps a few months ago, you cannot just sit and watch this run up without feeling some pain.

This is painful. Very very painful.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #3739 on: February 03, 2020, 02:35:42 PM »
If the thought of buying this stock crossed your mind when the stock was in the dumps a few months ago, you cannot just sit and watch this run up without feeling some pain.

This is painful. Very very painful.
although im a fan of TSLA. this is a bit crazy. but I'm sure with this volatility it can drop just as fast. not sure to what levels though...
#TYH