Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 1199888 times)

Offline Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks
« Reply #5580 on: March 15, 2021, 09:30:46 AM »
When do we sell  LUV UAL DAL?

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: March 15, 2021, 11:48:14 AM »
When do we sell  LUV UAL DAL?
UAL is only at 2/3 of it's pre Covid value, so I would stick with United for sure.
If you bought these stocks only because you saw an opportunity seeing it being so crushed then it makes sense to sell upon full recovery. Although I've recently sold such a stock at above recovery price just to see it soar up another 30% afterwards.

Offline GershonNY

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: March 15, 2021, 10:27:27 PM »
UAL is only at 2/3 of it's pre Covid value, so I would stick with United for sure.
If you bought these stocks only because you saw an opportunity seeing it being so crushed then it makes sense to sell upon full recovery. Although I've recently sold such a stock at above recovery price just to see it soar up another 30% afterwards.
I am not sure that this always makes sense, since sometimes it can take a very long time for a stock to recover fully from its low especially  when your talking about airlines that have been hit so hard from covid and have not yet fully recovered to there original operations. It is very possible that it will reach the pre covid price but you can sometimes do better in other companies in that time, but how knows it has just gone up since I sold my shares.

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: March 16, 2021, 12:01:20 AM »
I am not sure that this always makes sense, since sometimes it can take a very long time for a stock to recover fully from its low especially  when your talking about airlines that have been hit so hard from covid and have not yet fully recovered to there original operations. It is very possible that it will reach the pre covid price but you can sometimes do better in other companies in that time, but how knows it has just gone up since I sold my shares.
Well that sector happened to recover very fast, actually too fast, given the loses they suffered and are still suffering, but that's the nature of the current stock market.

Just give a look at the names he mentioned, LUV has fully recovered, DAL pretty much too. Others did also extremely well, like JBLU, ALK. If someone entered at the lower points that would be a 200%+ gain in less than a year. That's a huge number for an entire sector other than EV..

And btw, retail recovery also performed greatly, and perhaps too fast. Companies like, M, KSS, JWN, BBBY etc. All way above pre Covid valuations.

These sectors were almost fatally hit by the Pandemic, more than other sectors in general. People were genuinely concerned that these big names will go bankrupt like others did. And yet here we are still in middle of the pandemic with all these stocks making a killing. That's why I believe UAL will soon catch up too. And remember that the robbinhoodies haven't spend yet this round's stimulus...

Offline GershonNY

• View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: March 16, 2021, 12:32:59 AM »
Well that sector happened to recover very fast, actually too fast, given the loses they suffered and are still suffering, but that's the nature of the current stock market.

Just give a look at the names he mentioned, LUV has fully recovered, DAL pretty much too. Others did also extremely well, like JBLU, ALK. If someone entered at the lower points that would be a 200%+ gain in less than a year. That's a huge number for an entire sector other than EV..

And btw, retail recovery also performed greatly, and perhaps too fast. Companies like, M, KSS, JWN, BBBY etc. All way above pre Covid valuations.

These sectors were almost fatally hit by the Pandemic, more than other sectors in general. People were genuinely concerned that these big names will go bankrupt like others did. And yet here we are still in middle of the pandemic with all these stocks making a killing. That's why I believe UAL will soon catch up too. And remember that the robbinhoodies haven't spend yet this round's stimulus...

True.
But I was jus pointing out that just because it has not recovered yet from precovid doesn't mean it will in the near future, but your right that lots of companies are going up majorly even though they are still doing very bad.

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: March 17, 2021, 10:44:56 AM »
Anyone holding ZIM?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #5586 on: March 17, 2021, 10:38:15 PM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline SamDaMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: March 17, 2021, 11:13:15 PM »
But I'm still proud to be from clev!

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: March 21, 2021, 02:30:12 PM »
Any thoughts on CURI?

Offline madhocker

• View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: March 22, 2021, 03:36:42 PM »
Any thoughts on CURI?
Thinking of buying before earnings tomorrow?

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: March 22, 2021, 09:22:07 PM »
Thinking of buying before earnings tomorrow?
No. Growth potential.

Offline madhocker

• View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: March 23, 2021, 03:36:37 PM »
Can anyone explain why the market took a nosedive today after 2PM? Did Powell or Yelen say anything so scary to congress?

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: March 23, 2021, 03:47:43 PM »
Can anyone explain why the market took a nosedive today after 2PM? Did Powell or Yelen say anything so scary to congress?

GME earnings call after hours today. Its a theory that many short sellers are cashing out otger positions to avoid being margin called if the stock pops again

Offline madhocker

• View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: March 23, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
GME earnings call after hours today. Its a theory that many short sellers are cashing out otger positions to avoid being margin called if the stock pops again
They have such an outsized influence on the market? seems farfetched

Offline shie123

• View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: March 23, 2021, 04:23:03 PM »
Anyone holding ZIM?
I was holding from $17, sold last week at $27 and bought again the dip today

Offline shie123

• View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: March 23, 2021, 04:24:59 PM »
First of all the usual boring disclaimer, Always do research and diversify your holdings.
A few stocks I'm currently holding are DAC, FVE, and VICI (also for it's dividend)
Excellent call on DAC! I followed you and took some nice profits
Thanks!

Offline madhocker

• View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: March 23, 2021, 04:31:59 PM »
GME misses on top and bottom line. Stock is up 8% AH. What else is new....

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: March 23, 2021, 06:58:27 PM »
They have such an outsized influence on the market? seems farfetched

Its not as farfetched as it may seem. If you believe the short interest reports there are tens of billions of $ on the line if gme gaps up. Hedge funds don't have billions in cash so they would need to sell off a lot of mainstream stocks to cover a MC. And adding billions to the sell side in concentrated sector (eg tech) does tend to have a spiraling effect.

Of course theres plenty of room to disbelieve many of these assumptions. But it could be valid.

Offline madhocker

• View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: March 23, 2021, 08:28:44 PM »
Its not as farfetched as it may seem. If you believe the short interest reports there are tens of billions of $ on the line if gme gaps up. Hedge funds don't have billions in cash so they would need to sell off a lot of mainstream stocks to cover a MC. And adding billions to the sell side in concentrated sector (eg tech) does tend to have a spiraling effect.

Of course theres plenty of room to disbelieve many of these assumptions. But it could be valid.
I guess it is possible.

Checking back on GME seems to have closed the AH session down 15%. If your theory is correct and the trend continues in the regular session tomorrow, can we expect a massive re-entry into those tech stock that saw the abrupt selling today?

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: March 23, 2021, 09:28:02 PM »
I guess it is possible.

Checking back on GME seems to have closed the AH session down 15%. If your theory is correct and the trend continues in the regular session tomorrow, can we expect a massive re-entry into those tech stock that saw the abrupt selling today?

I like the way you think... could be a good opportunity to buy normal stocks