Author Topic: Stocks  (Read 1180138 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks
« Reply #6340 on: November 16, 2021, 03:52:23 PM »
This market has the potential to blow up far bigger than the Dotcom bubble when you has profitable companies with revenue but highly overvalued Well today you have companies with huge Valuations and not even a minimum viable product. I don’t know if I don’t know when but just a thought

The dotcom companies were profitable?

Does the total auto market support such high valuation?

It's certainly not consistent with Tesla having 1/20th of Toyota's production but 4x Toyota's valuation. Granted they have better gross margins, but not 4x better.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: November 16, 2021, 03:58:14 PM »
High valuation Actually gives them the cash to scale production which Tesla did not have

I agree that's a major advantage.
I think if they were smart they would load up on money right now

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: November 16, 2021, 04:05:41 PM »

There were dotcom companies that only existed to the extent that they were paying the electric bill, but were valued in the 10s of millions. No physical products, no real physical presence, very little financial reporting/oversight. These days it's not quite the same

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: November 16, 2021, 04:07:05 PM »
There were dotcom companies that only existed to the extent that they were paying the electric bill, but were valued in the 10s of millions. No physical products, no real physical presence, very little financial reporting/oversight. These days it's not quite the same

!00%, it sounded to me like Abey was suggesting they were (all?) profitable.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: November 16, 2021, 04:15:35 PM »

Maybe they were... after all, it's not hard to appear profitable when financial reporting guidelines let you do whatever you want

Offline Abey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6345 on: November 16, 2021, 04:22:43 PM »
Amazon, EBay and even pets.com and others had revenue and growing sales. Don’t confuse revenue to profitability! Uber is not profitable yet many are comfortable with its valuation. These companies have 0 revenues and 0 history on how revenue is growing vs cash burn.

It's certainly not consistent with Tesla having 1/20th of Toyota's production but 4x Toyota's valuation. Granted they have better gross margins, but not 4x better.
How much is Toyota production growing vs Tesla? How much market share do you think Toyota will have in the new Auto market ? Think Amazon vs Macy’s in early 2000,s and this is what it’s investors are betting on not current revenue on a company growing to full scale

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6346 on: November 16, 2021, 04:30:41 PM »
They paid electric bills?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #6347 on: November 16, 2021, 04:38:53 PM »
How much is Toyota production growing vs Tesla? How much market share do you think Toyota will have in the new Auto market ? Think Amazon vs Macy’s in early 2000,s and this is what it’s investors are betting on not current revenue on a company growing to full scale
Toyota is mature with a much larger marketshare. Growing from small numbers by huge percentages isn't like growing from huge numbers.

Toyota is ahead of everyone else with Fuel Cell (which I actually believe might end up being the future energy for cars). They were ahead of many with hybrids.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: November 16, 2021, 04:48:07 PM »
Don’t confuse revenue to profitability!

You're the one who used the term profitable. Easy of you to pick the few that actually had hopes. There were tons that nobody remembers unless they made and/or lost a fortune on them.

It's clear what investors are betting on, but how does it pan out? The EV market will saturate/gradually displacing ICE vehicles, and Tesla will have a piece of that pie. but at what point will P/E normalize compared to the rest of the industry?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: November 16, 2021, 04:49:16 PM »
Toyota is ahead of everyone else with Fuel Cell (which I actually believe might end up being the future energy for cars).

Fuel cell is really interesting but progress has been slow and it's far from mature compared to fully-EV.

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: November 16, 2021, 05:13:47 PM »
You're the one who used the term profitable. Easy of you to pick the few that actually had hopes. There were tons that nobody remembers unless they made and/or lost a fortune on them.

It's clear what investors are betting on, but how does it pan out? The EV market will saturate/gradually displacing ICE vehicles, and Tesla will have a piece of that pie. but at what point will P/E normalize compared to the rest of the industry?
Looking back at my posts and indeed used the word profit, sorry I meant revenue/sales. P/E will take years…and this is a new industry so comparing it the old is like comparing sears and JCPenney to the online retail of today.
Toyota is mature with a much larger marketshare. Growing from small numbers by huge percentages isn't like growing from huge numbers.

Toyota is ahead of everyone else with Fuel Cell (which I actually believe might end up being the future energy for cars). They were ahead of many with hybrids.
Toyota Prius is a boring nerdy car, the thrill of driving a Tesla is what these companies can’t produce, it’s a culture

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6351 on: November 16, 2021, 05:19:12 PM »

Toyota Prius is a boring nerdy car, the thrill of driving a Tesla is what these companies can’t produce, it’s a culture
Congratulations, you have just described a fad.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: November 16, 2021, 06:39:29 PM »
Why would anyone want fuel cell cars if they're worse than EVs in every way with the exception of fueling time, but even that is not bad considering that you can start your day from home with a full charge every single day and charging times are improving.
Tesla stock generally sells at up to 100x next years earnings. At the rate they're growing and will continue growing they can easily go from 100x next years earnings to a PE ratio of 50 in 2 years (1 year to turn it into a PE ratio of 100 and another year to double earnings)
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: November 16, 2021, 07:11:21 PM »

Fads doesn’t explain the growing and everlasting hype people have for Tesla. Tesla is more like the Apple of cars.
Visibly Jewish

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: November 16, 2021, 07:20:06 PM »
Looking back at my posts and indeed used the word profit, sorry I meant revenue/sales. P/E will take years…and this is a new industry so comparing it the old is like comparing sears and JCPenney to the online retail of today.

Toyota isn't selling just the Prius. They're selling hybrid versions of just about every car they sell. Yes, they aren't thrilling sports cars for the most part, but they're the most reliable and best selling vehicles in America for decades. Unseating that when the value preposition is hard to compete with is quite a challenge.

Tesla, honestly, has exceeded my wildest dreams in terms of the amount of vehicles that they've successfully delivered, and the insatiable demand they continue to generate (whether or not they've been operating in the red if not for carbon credit sales). I still think that justifying the PE will be an absolutely Herculean feat, but it is a dangerous company to bet against.

It is hard to argue with the fact that Musk is a bit of a cult leader. Nothing wrong with that. There were times that Tesla would be considered a worthless company without him. I don't think that's true anymore. Tesla is a real company by now, overvalued or not, and a serious force to be reckoned with. (People have actually said the same about Jobs and Apple, and the actual results were just the opposite.)

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: November 16, 2021, 07:24:55 PM »
Tesla would never have been as successful if not for their extensive charging network. They eliminated range anxiety as a dealbreaker, otherwise no matter how cool their product would have been fringe.

Which other ev maker is matching that? Relying on the biden network is not a winning proposition

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: November 16, 2021, 07:27:22 PM »
Toyota isn't selling just the Prius. They're selling hybrid versions of just about every car they sell. Yes, they aren't thrilling sports cars for the most part, but they're the most reliable and best selling vehicles in America for decades. Unseating that when the value preposition is hard to compete with is quite a challenge.

Tesla, honestly, has exceeded my wildest dreams in terms of the amount of vehicles that they've successfully delivered, and the insatiable demand they continue to generate (whether or not they've been operating in the red if not for carbon credit sales). I still think that justifying the PE will be an absolutely Herculean feat, but it is a dangerous company to bet against.

It is hard to argue with the fact that Musk is a bit of a cult leader. Nothing wrong with that. There were times that Tesla would be considered a worthless company without him. I don't think that's true anymore. Tesla is a real company by now, overvalued or not, and a serious force to be reckoned with. (People have actually said the same about Jobs and Apple, and the actual results were just the opposite.)
Regulatory credits account for only a fraction of their profits.

Tesla would never have been as successful if not for their extensive charging network. They eliminated range anxiety as a dealbreaker, otherwise no matter how cool their product would have been fringe.

Which other ev maker is matching that? Relying on the biden network is not a winning proposition
Relying on Tesla can be a winning proposition.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: November 16, 2021, 11:22:30 PM »
Or the future of Automotive mobility  ;)

Hybrid’s are boring, Tesla’s are fun and constantly getting upgraded new software . Apple of cars is an apt description.

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: November 16, 2021, 11:23:41 PM »
I think the boomer vs millennial energy is strong in this EV discussion here on ddf  ;D ;D

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: November 17, 2021, 07:21:41 AM »
I think the boomer vs millennial energy is strong in this EV discussion here on ddf  ;D ;D

It’s not necessarily boomer vs millennial. You can believe that Tesla the company is viable and will likely be profitable long term, and still dislike TSLA the stock.
Visibly Jewish