Topic Wiki

Roaming on U.S. carriers
Verizon: $25 per each 100MB when Gobal Data feature is activated. Exorbitant calling rates.
AT&T:
T-Mobile: Simple Choice plans (postpaid-only which requires credit pull, but you can cancel anytime) include unlimited data roaming at 2G speeds in 120+ countries. Calls between any of these countries are $.20 /min.
Sprint: - For some reason its a bit complicated - https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html - http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/ - http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/support/BizMultiCountryDataPack.pdf
intlroam.sprint.com

International SIM cards

Google Fi
All plans include coverage in the US, Canada, and Mexico. Unlimited Plus and Flexible also come with data in 200+ international destinations, and 5G in select countries for supported Pixel and Samsung phones. Try Fi for free: Test our coverage to see how we keep you connected. Our 7⁠-⁠day trial works right on your phone alongside your current service.

Toggle Mobile:
Covers the U.S., many European countries (though not Italy or Belgium), and Australia. Rates from these countries are £.03 to all USA and UK phones both mobile and landline, £.03 to landlines and £.09 to mobiles in many other countries, £.06 to Israel landlines and £.15 to Israel mobiles. SMS to most (looks like all) countries is £.07. Data bundles start at £5 for 500 MB in the UK and £20 for 1GB in the other Toggle countries. Incoming calls are free in 20+ countries.

SIMs can be ordered online and shipped free to many countries. You automatically receive a free permanent U.K. number. Before each trip you must register online for a local incoming number in the countries you are travelling to, which activates the roaming plan and lasts 30 days at no cost. You can pay £5 a year to keep numbers permanently.

Golan Telecom:
The 99₪ unlimited talk/text/internet/international calling plan, which also gives you up to 2 virtual foreign numbers, also includes for many countries (not all have launched yet) unlimited global data roaming (6GB high-speed), incoming calls & texts, and calls & texts to Israel.

Alternatively, Golan also offers a ₪29 per day data-only roaming plan which gives 100MB a day in these countries (all have been launched). These roaming options can be very useful for foreigners regardless of whether they need Golan for Israel.

VOIP calling apps

Vonage Mobile: Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link). Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer and activate ReachMe roaming in the app.

Google Hangouts: Uses your Google Voice number over VOIP. Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link).

Local SIM cards

Israel: See wiki on this thread.

Global MiFi
FreedomPop $10/500mb
https://www.freedompop.com/worldwide

eSims

See PlatinumGuys post for more info.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I was just mindblown. In 60 seconds online, I was able to buy a data package in a different country from Airalo and install it on my iPhone - keeping calls on the primary Verizon SIM and data on the Airalo eSim.

FWIW, they offer 15GB in Israel for $15 - and you can buy more easily online if it runs out, but I don't know which network Annatel resells

Airalo promo code FOUNDERS30 for 30% off up to $7 (I don't benefit in any way)

Another vendor is https://esim.knowroaming.com, I guess you have to compare destination to destination.
https://esimdb.com is a great database for vendors in different locations.

« Last edited by Suave on September 19, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »

Author Topic: International Sim Discussion  (Read 161690 times)

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: International Sim Discussion
« Reply #420 on: May 12, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
Free calls to U.S./Canada, cheap international rates

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 12, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »
Free calls to U.S./Canada, cheap international rates
Gotcha. The Tmobile deal is free to US as well. Was hoping to find a free replacement to GrooveIP so I can call anywhere for free when I'm abroad.

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 13, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »
Gotcha. The Tmobile deal is free to US as well. Was hoping to find a free replacement to GrooveIP so I can call anywhere for free when I'm abroad.
I replaced GrooveIP with Vonage a while ago already, as the real number caller ID is very convenient so recipients know who you are. Best data calling app I've found. The new ReachMe incoming forwarding feature seems cool as well.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:14 PM »
I replaced GrooveIP with Vonage a while ago already, as the real number caller ID is very convenient so recipients know who you are. Best data calling app I've found. The new ReachMe incoming forwarding feature seems cool as well.
Found this page to see rates http://www2.vonage.com/ild/ekb/ which asks you to first pick the plan you'll be on - I assume the free one is US/Canad Unlimited. And then you pick the countries you want to call. Google Voice in Hangouts is much cheaper than the few I tried - Israel, Spain, Italy other than Israel landlines which is 1cpm with Vonage and 2cpm with Google.

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 13, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »
Found this page to see rates http://www2.vonage.com/ild/ekb/ which asks you to first pick the plan you'll be on - I assume the free one is US/Canad Unlimited. And then you pick the countries you want to call. Google Voice in Hangouts is much cheaper than the few I tried - Israel, Spain, Italy other than Israel landlines which is 1cpm with Vonage and 2cpm with Google.
Except that that's the wrong rates page for the Vonage Mobile app. It's here. Many rates are cheaper than Google's. E.g. Israel landline .015 & mobile .049 vs. Google Voice .02 & .10. Also, Hangouts on Android doesn't yet allow Google Voice calls, supposedly they will introduce this shortly after the 3rd party apps are kicked off the service. And to reiterate, Vonage uses your real number, which for anyone who doesn't use GV for their main number is a huge convenience.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:41:45 PM by Flying Fish »

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 13, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »
Except that that's the wrong rates page for the Vonage Mobile app. It's here. Many rates are cheaper than Google's. E.g. Israel landline .015 & mobile .049 vs. Google Voice .02 & .10. Also, Hangouts on Android doesn't yet allow Google Voice calls, supposedly they will introduce this shortly after the 3rd party apps are kicked off the service. And to reiterate, Vonage uses your real number, which for anyone who doesn't use GV for their main number is a huge convenience.
Oh good! Glad I was wrong. Will check out that link tomorrow, thanks!

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 14, 2014, 08:23:41 AM »
Even on that link, I'm not seeing anything CLOSE to the rates you quoted. It seems to be good if you're friend has Vonage too, but not if you're trying to call a non-Vonage number...
(And I have an iPhone so no problem with Hangouts.)

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 14, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »
Even on that link, I'm not seeing anything CLOSE to the rates you quoted. It seems to be good if you're friend has Vonage too, but not if you're trying to call a non-Vonage number...
(And I have an iPhone so no problem with Hangouts.)
Very strange, as that's what I see... anyway I use it and can assure you that what I quoted for Israel is accurate... Spain, Italy, etc. are cheaper than GV as well. I recommend you install the app, then you can put in any number and it will tell you the exact rate.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 14, 2014, 09:20:16 AM »
Very strange, as that's what I see... anyway I use it and can assure you that what I quoted for Israel is accurate... Spain, Italy, etc. are cheaper than GV as well. I recommend you install the app, then you can put in any number and it will tell you the exact rate.
Will do thanks

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 14, 2014, 09:28:51 AM »
Just put in my friend's Israel cell number and it came up as Israel Mobile 4.9cpm

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 14, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »
Just put in my friend's Israel cell number and it came up as Israel Mobile 4.9cpm
Great, so as you see it's over 50% cheaper than GV's 10cpm.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
Great, so as you see it's over 50% cheaper than GV's 10cpm.
Oh lol that's correct. haha

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 18, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »
Seems like Vonage is going to be the way to go. Just realized a nice bonus - one of the current AMEX offers is $5 statement credit for spending $5 in the iTunes App store (exp. 5/31). Vonage credit can be bought through the app store, so free money!
Only problem is that Vonage can only be bought in a bunch such as 4.99, 9.99, 14.99, etc. 4.99 would not be enough to get the statement credit, and it seems like there's nothing cheaper than a .99 song that you can buy to top off your $5 spend to get your credit. Once, I'm wasting .99 on something I wouldn't otherwise buy, I think I'll just buy 9.99 worth of Vonage, which I likely will use. So hey, 5 free dollars!

I have this offer on 2 AMEX cards, so I'll likely buy it there too. That would be a total of $25 Vonage credit (incl. the $5 I bought initially to try out some calling to London and Italy). That should hopefully be enough for the trip and would mean I paid $15 for $25 of calling.

Offline Srsy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 09, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
You can use this Vonage app on any cell phone?

Offline moka

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 09, 2014, 08:56:45 PM »
I'm going to canada for a day what's the best idea for me? I have a blackberry z10 with tmobile $50 prepaid. Any ideas?

Offline DovtheBear

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #435 on: June 09, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »
I'm going to canada for a day what's the best idea for me? I have a blackberry z10 with tmobile $50 prepaid. Any ideas?
If it's worth the hassle, get the $50 postpaid and cancel to get it prorated.
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline Srsy

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 11, 2014, 12:10:55 AM »
Anyone ever buy a prepaid SIM card from telestial?

Offline emesmusic

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 11, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
I'm going to be in the US for two months.
Anyone know of a sim card (prepaid or contract whichever is cheaper) where I can get unlimited international minutes (to UK), some US minutes, some texts and some data.
Thanks.

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #438 on: June 11, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
yes a few years ago
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Srsy

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 11, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
We're you happy with their som card?