Topic Wiki

Roaming on U.S. carriers
Verizon: $25 per each 100MB when Gobal Data feature is activated. Exorbitant calling rates.
AT&T:
T-Mobile: Simple Choice plans (postpaid-only which requires credit pull, but you can cancel anytime) include unlimited data roaming at 2G speeds in 120+ countries. Calls between any of these countries are $.20 /min.
Sprint: - For some reason its a bit complicated - https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html - http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/ - http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/support/BizMultiCountryDataPack.pdf
intlroam.sprint.com

International SIM cards

Google Fi
All plans include coverage in the US, Canada, and Mexico. Unlimited Plus and Flexible also come with data in 200+ international destinations, and 5G in select countries for supported Pixel and Samsung phones. Try Fi for free: Test our coverage to see how we keep you connected. Our 7⁠-⁠day trial works right on your phone alongside your current service.

Toggle Mobile:
Covers the U.S., many European countries (though not Italy or Belgium), and Australia. Rates from these countries are £.03 to all USA and UK phones both mobile and landline, £.03 to landlines and £.09 to mobiles in many other countries, £.06 to Israel landlines and £.15 to Israel mobiles. SMS to most (looks like all) countries is £.07. Data bundles start at £5 for 500 MB in the UK and £20 for 1GB in the other Toggle countries. Incoming calls are free in 20+ countries.

SIMs can be ordered online and shipped free to many countries. You automatically receive a free permanent U.K. number. Before each trip you must register online for a local incoming number in the countries you are travelling to, which activates the roaming plan and lasts 30 days at no cost. You can pay £5 a year to keep numbers permanently.

Golan Telecom:
The 99₪ unlimited talk/text/internet/international calling plan, which also gives you up to 2 virtual foreign numbers, also includes for many countries (not all have launched yet) unlimited global data roaming (6GB high-speed), incoming calls & texts, and calls & texts to Israel.

Alternatively, Golan also offers a ₪29 per day data-only roaming plan which gives 100MB a day in these countries (all have been launched). These roaming options can be very useful for foreigners regardless of whether they need Golan for Israel.

VOIP calling apps

Vonage Mobile: Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link). Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer and activate ReachMe roaming in the app.

Google Hangouts: Uses your Google Voice number over VOIP. Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link).

Local SIM cards

Israel: See wiki on this thread.

Global MiFi
FreedomPop $10/500mb
https://www.freedompop.com/worldwide

eSims

See PlatinumGuys post for more info.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I was just mindblown. In 60 seconds online, I was able to buy a data package in a different country from Airalo and install it on my iPhone - keeping calls on the primary Verizon SIM and data on the Airalo eSim.

FWIW, they offer 15GB in Israel for $15 - and you can buy more easily online if it runs out, but I don't know which network Annatel resells

Airalo promo code FOUNDERS30 for 30% off up to $7 (I don't benefit in any way)

Another vendor is https://esim.knowroaming.com, I guess you have to compare destination to destination.
https://esimdb.com is a great database for vendors in different locations.

« Last edited by Suave on September 19, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »

Author Topic: International Sim Discussion  (Read 163368 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: International Sim Discussion
« Reply #540 on: February 16, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
DoEsn't Golan work there now? If not just pick up a local SIM while you're there.
only on the 99 shekel, but i got same plan as a promotion for 59 shekel so they say it doesn't work for me unless i start paying 99 shekel a month. do they have normal priced local sims in the airport? that's what im asking

Offline nocknock

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 22, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »
I have a Verizon BB 9930. Could it take an international sim?

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 22, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »
I have a Verizon BB 9930. Could it take an international sim?
Yes. It needs to be unlocked which can be done for 1 dollar on ebay

Offline Srsy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 17, 2015, 07:16:53 AM »
Am I better off getting a SIM card in the US before I leave to Greece or get one when I get there.  Which is a reliable SIM card for Greece?  Would it work in Germany also?

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 30, 2015, 04:44:05 PM »
Am I better off getting a SIM card in the US before I leave to Greece or get one when I get there.  Which is a reliable SIM card for Greece?  Would it work in Germany also?

Get a vodaphone SIM card when you get to Greece. There  are  Vodaphone stores everywhere in town.  You can load 10 Eu on it and use 5 Eu towards calling and get 120 mins or more and there is also a 3 eu package for data thats I believe 200 MB . 

They will load it that way in store for you .  There is Vodaphone DE but your Greek card will be used up quickly if you can use it at all when roaming.

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 28, 2015, 11:30:22 PM »
Will Sprint galaxy s4 mini work with foreign SIM after unlocking? Or is it cdma only?

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 09, 2015, 09:57:56 PM »
Looking for a sim card that would work in BOB, anyone know how i can get one before getting to Tahiti?

Offline casualchurner

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 21, 2015, 10:59:48 PM »
Going to YVR in a week for 5 days. Need a plan for calls to US and data(mostly for Waze and basic web search). I have an iPhone 5s from VZW. Any ideas on what's my best option? Any help would be appreciated!
TIA!

P.S. I know the answer is probably here somewhere but I've been searching and can't get a clear answer.  :-\

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 25, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »
I'm traveling to Austria and Hungary in July. I have an AT&T Galaxy. I need voice text and data while I'm there.
Can anyone help me with this? 

P.S. I know the answer is probably here somewhere but I've been searching and can't get a clear answer.  :-\

Offline BarryLincoln

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #549 on: June 25, 2015, 05:18:52 PM »
I'm traveling to Austria and Hungary in July. I have an AT&T Galaxy. I need voice text and data while I'm there.

Was in Hungary/Ukraine late last year and used a Travelcell SIM, unlimited data, txt and $.20/min i think.  was only there for 5 days though...

They are on the Tmobile plan w/ unlimited roaming...

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 25, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »

There are tons of ads on DDMS for HipSim. Just a note of caution when renting a sim: Make sure to "remind" the provider to activate for you before you arrive so it's ready to use upon landing.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 01, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »
Was in Hungary/Ukraine late last year and used a Travelcell SIM, unlimited data, txt and $.20/min i think.  was only there for 5 days though...

They are on the Tmobile plan w/ unlimited roaming...

How much do they charge?

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 01, 2015, 12:55:46 PM »
There are tons of ads on DDMS for HipSim. Just a note of caution when renting a sim: Make sure to "remind" the provider to activate for you before you arrive so it's ready to use upon landing.

That's about $75 or more. Correct? Reason I'm asking is because I can have international via AT&T for $30. I get 125 MB and .99 per minute. Trying to see which is cheaper.

Offline BarryLincoln

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #553 on: July 01, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
How much do they charge?
Don't recall exactly.  Want to say I paid $35 but only used the service for 5 days.  Not the best return, but given short trip, I didn't have the patience to do more research.  At the very least, they are worth a call.  They always have 10% off codes...

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 01, 2015, 05:27:52 PM »
Don't recall exactly.  Want to say I paid $35 but only used the service for 5 days.  Not the best return, but given short trip, I didn't have the patience to do more research.  At the very least, they are worth a call.  They always have 10% off codes...

I'm going for two days. I'l give them a call.

Thanks

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 21, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
I'm going to Zimbabwe and then South Africa. I'm not sure what makes more sense. To rent a cell phone here or to get a sim card there? All the rates I'm seeing are very high. Any ideas?

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #556 on: July 21, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »
anyone try http://hipsim.com yet?
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 04, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »
It seems to rent a SIM card in the U.S. to use in Europe, you pay a 1 week minimum rental. What are the best options for shorter durations?

Offline Jimgotkp

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 14, 2015, 02:23:36 AM »
Seems like Vodafone's SIM card gets decent reviews for travel in EU. Any other recommendations? Headed to France, Hungary, Austria, and Czech Republic for a few days in each country. I believe I have to get a separate SIM card for use in France? Currently use a VZW iPhone 6+. Would prefer a SIM card that can work in every country (including Germany and the UAE), so I don't have to switch out the SIM card every time.

Offline ARC

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 14, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
Can someone please help me unlock my Sprint Galaxy 6s that I am currently leasing?  Need to use it in Israel for the upcoming school year.