Topic Wiki

Roaming on U.S. carriers
Verizon: $25 per each 100MB when Gobal Data feature is activated. Exorbitant calling rates.
AT&T:
T-Mobile: Simple Choice plans (postpaid-only which requires credit pull, but you can cancel anytime) include unlimited data roaming at 2G speeds in 120+ countries. Calls between any of these countries are $.20 /min.
Sprint: - For some reason its a bit complicated - https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html - http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/ - http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/support/BizMultiCountryDataPack.pdf
intlroam.sprint.com

International SIM cards

Google Fi
All plans include coverage in the US, Canada, and Mexico. Unlimited Plus and Flexible also come with data in 200+ international destinations, and 5G in select countries for supported Pixel and Samsung phones. Try Fi for free: Test our coverage to see how we keep you connected. Our 7⁠-⁠day trial works right on your phone alongside your current service.

Toggle Mobile:
Covers the U.S., many European countries (though not Italy or Belgium), and Australia. Rates from these countries are £.03 to all USA and UK phones both mobile and landline, £.03 to landlines and £.09 to mobiles in many other countries, £.06 to Israel landlines and £.15 to Israel mobiles. SMS to most (looks like all) countries is £.07. Data bundles start at £5 for 500 MB in the UK and £20 for 1GB in the other Toggle countries. Incoming calls are free in 20+ countries.

SIMs can be ordered online and shipped free to many countries. You automatically receive a free permanent U.K. number. Before each trip you must register online for a local incoming number in the countries you are travelling to, which activates the roaming plan and lasts 30 days at no cost. You can pay £5 a year to keep numbers permanently.

Golan Telecom:
The 99₪ unlimited talk/text/internet/international calling plan, which also gives you up to 2 virtual foreign numbers, also includes for many countries (not all have launched yet) unlimited global data roaming (6GB high-speed), incoming calls & texts, and calls & texts to Israel.

Alternatively, Golan also offers a ₪29 per day data-only roaming plan which gives 100MB a day in these countries (all have been launched). These roaming options can be very useful for foreigners regardless of whether they need Golan for Israel.

VOIP calling apps

Vonage Mobile: Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link). Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer and activate ReachMe roaming in the app.

Google Hangouts: Uses your Google Voice number over VOIP. Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link).

Local SIM cards

Israel: See wiki on this thread.

Global MiFi
FreedomPop $10/500mb
https://www.freedompop.com/worldwide

eSims

See PlatinumGuys post for more info.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I was just mindblown. In 60 seconds online, I was able to buy a data package in a different country from Airalo and install it on my iPhone - keeping calls on the primary Verizon SIM and data on the Airalo eSim.

FWIW, they offer 15GB in Israel for $15 - and you can buy more easily online if it runs out, but I don't know which network Annatel resells

Airalo promo code FOUNDERS30 for 30% off up to $7 (I don't benefit in any way)

Another vendor is https://esim.knowroaming.com, I guess you have to compare destination to destination.
https://esimdb.com is a great database for vendors in different locations.

« Last edited by Suave on September 19, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »

Author Topic: International Sim Discussion  (Read 161637 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
International Sim Discussion
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »
I'm going to be in Switzerland, France, Italy, and Israel in May and would like to have a Sim card for at least some of those places.
Does anyone have one that I could rent for a couple weeks?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:53:11 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Have A European Or Israeli Sim Card I Can Rent?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
I'm going to be in Switzerland, France, Italy, and Israel in May and would like to have a Sim card for at least some of those places.
Does anyone have one that I could rent for a couple weeks?

I Only have a SIM (talkman prepay) for Israel and will need it when you will be there. Otherwise for everywhere else I get a Verizion Intl Card at Costco, downside no incoming calls and local calls will be charged twice = for say a call ZRH to the US and then a call from US to ZRH , and calling a LandLine is cheap but hold on to your hat when they tell you how much it is per min if calling a cell phone

also you need to use a pay phone unless you are on a private landline = if a Hotel phone they kill you what they charge even to an 800#, unless youre staying somewhere that doesnt charge for 800#s Haha. then in some Countries the pay phones require that you pay even for the 800# the good thing there maybe more than 1 company so 1 of them usually wont charge.

In the end I usually was able to get my calls made and the advantage to that Verizion card is its good for everywhere you wont need a different SIM for every Country you hit. Just dont Reload it as its cheaper to kepe buying new ones, it used to be the same but now theres a 15% charge if you reload it

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:35:26 PM »
For outgoing I can just use my computer to make free calls.
I need the SIM primarily for incoming.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »

get an isle of man sim card which has in all those countries free incoming roaming.

http://www.travelsimshop.com/?gclid=CNCj-ajUi6ECFYIsDgodHnvfQg

http://www.travelsim.co.uk/?gclid=CPrI5brUi6ECFZEsDgodW02tRA

http://www.phonecallmall.com/globalsim.html

not advising any in particular, read what it says, almost shabbes, no time to check it out.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »

I still have some $$ left on my cards and from some Ive spoken to say magic jack or skype connections are spotty at best, but I usually wont have any incoming and to get around that checking my cell phones voice mail covers me, however Im not running a biz or anyting that reaklly requires me to have to be iintouch with people or they be in touch with me on an everyday basis

then Id hate to carry around even a netbook all day just to make some calls when needed , the Verizion is better

but Supers thing might be the best!

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:26:39 PM »
i have switzerland and italy, but im in israel. not sure where youre gonna be first.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »
interesting thing is the way i got my italian sim was at rome airport where the company "wind" had a kiosk set up giving out free sim cards with some euro on it. not sure if theyre still doing that though.

Offline abe1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »
i have a sim card for switzeland & its suppose to be a cheap one. (its from company Lebara & i think it works in most of europe but its only cheap in swiss, i used it in Germany & got killed with it
let me know if you want it
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:13:26 AM by abe1 »

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 07:38:02 AM »
yes Lebara or LycaMobile is the cheapest 9 cents outgoing.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 11:05:32 AM »
i have a sim card for switzeland & its suppose to be a cheap one. (its from company Lebara & i think it works in most of europe but its only cheap in swiss, i used it in Germany & got killed with it

you obviously have to use each time the one that corresponds to the country you are in. if in a city, the best is to go o those (shady) internet cafes or night shops, where they sell such cards, and have posters with the prices on them.
All rates are alway per minute billing.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »
Seems like Lebara is pretty awesome.
4 pence per minute to landlines and about 15 pence per minute to mobiles.
Even a free sim card if you live in the UK...
http://www.lebara-mobile.co.uk/uk-free-sim/

What did you think of them? Any catch?

Offline abe1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
i used it in swiss & was happy with it

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »
i used it in swiss & was happy with it

but what did you use in germany? your swiss one?

Offline abe1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 11:20:55 AM »
yes, & i got killed with it when used in germany. was only in Germany for a few hours drove from switzerland to Michlestadt

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 11:55:36 AM »
yes, & i got killed with it when used in germany. was only in Germany for a few hours drove from switzerland to Michlestadt
On their UK site it seems to indicate that Germany is actually cheaper than Switzerland.  Both are 4 pence to landlines, but 15/20 pence to mobiles.

I wonder what gives?  Different rates depending on where you buy it?

Offline abe1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »
all i know is when i used it in swiss it showed on the screen that its using Lebara Network & it used up very little credits,& the min. i drove thru the border into germany it used a diffrent network (Roaming)& the credits got used very fast, not sure the exact charge per min.

Offline abe1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
could be it has to do where you buy it, i got it in Zurich airport in the post office,
i went first to Orange store in the airport & the guy there told me quietly that to call from swiss to usa Lebara is the cheapest & the post office sellls them, so i followed his advice & got it

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 12:45:41 PM »
of course, if you use it in roaming it kills of your credit.

to avoid such surprises set your network to "manual"

or make sure you don't
 have the roaming symbol on your screen before calling/picking up. (a triangle)

Offline points1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »
The best thing is to buy a gsm in Europe without ant Plan. You could get them for 30-40 Euro and buy in every country a sim-card. The cards are 10-20 Euros and they come with a credit of a few Euros. So they are almost free. You should ask which one is the cheaperst for where ever you want to call. For Israel you could buy here a prepaid Simcard for about $60, you will get a israeli and a US number. incoming is free , outgoing is 10 cents to USA. To Israel i dont know the rates. I think you have to put $50 on the sim you get 500 minutes and it expires after a month. If you want this sim call 848-525 5295

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »
all nice and good, if you are staying only a day or two, you will have lots of unused credits that will expire within the year.

if you want to be reached only, get those special ones I advised you before.

if its to find your wife who got lost looking for sales, you could even use a walky talky, and in case of an emergency (she found a 50% off a fur coat), she will give you a 59 sec call which will cost you $2-$3. (you are anyways billed a minute, so no need to rush)