Topic Wiki

Roaming on U.S. carriers
Verizon: $25 per each 100MB when Gobal Data feature is activated. Exorbitant calling rates.
AT&T:
T-Mobile: Simple Choice plans (postpaid-only which requires credit pull, but you can cancel anytime) include unlimited data roaming at 2G speeds in 120+ countries. Calls between any of these countries are $.20 /min.
Sprint: - For some reason its a bit complicated - https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html - http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/ - http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/support/BizMultiCountryDataPack.pdf
intlroam.sprint.com

International SIM cards

Google Fi
All plans include coverage in the US, Canada, and Mexico. Unlimited Plus and Flexible also come with data in 200+ international destinations, and 5G in select countries for supported Pixel and Samsung phones. Try Fi for free: Test our coverage to see how we keep you connected. Our 7⁠-⁠day trial works right on your phone alongside your current service.

Toggle Mobile:
Covers the U.S., many European countries (though not Italy or Belgium), and Australia. Rates from these countries are £.03 to all USA and UK phones both mobile and landline, £.03 to landlines and £.09 to mobiles in many other countries, £.06 to Israel landlines and £.15 to Israel mobiles. SMS to most (looks like all) countries is £.07. Data bundles start at £5 for 500 MB in the UK and £20 for 1GB in the other Toggle countries. Incoming calls are free in 20+ countries.

SIMs can be ordered online and shipped free to many countries. You automatically receive a free permanent U.K. number. Before each trip you must register online for a local incoming number in the countries you are travelling to, which activates the roaming plan and lasts 30 days at no cost. You can pay £5 a year to keep numbers permanently.

Golan Telecom:
The 99₪ unlimited talk/text/internet/international calling plan, which also gives you up to 2 virtual foreign numbers, also includes for many countries (not all have launched yet) unlimited global data roaming (6GB high-speed), incoming calls & texts, and calls & texts to Israel.

Alternatively, Golan also offers a ₪29 per day data-only roaming plan which gives 100MB a day in these countries (all have been launched). These roaming options can be very useful for foreigners regardless of whether they need Golan for Israel.

VOIP calling apps

Vonage Mobile: Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link). Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer and activate ReachMe roaming in the app.

Google Hangouts: Uses your Google Voice number over VOIP. Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link).

Local SIM cards

Israel: See wiki on this thread.

Global MiFi
FreedomPop $10/500mb
https://www.freedompop.com/worldwide

eSims

See PlatinumGuys post for more info.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I was just mindblown. In 60 seconds online, I was able to buy a data package in a different country from Airalo and install it on my iPhone - keeping calls on the primary Verizon SIM and data on the Airalo eSim.

FWIW, they offer 15GB in Israel for $15 - and you can buy more easily online if it runs out, but I don't know which network Annatel resells

Airalo promo code FOUNDERS30 for 30% off up to $7 (I don't benefit in any way)

Another vendor is https://esim.knowroaming.com, I guess you have to compare destination to destination.
https://esimdb.com is a great database for vendors in different locations.

« Last edited by Suave on September 19, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »

Author Topic: International Sim Discussion  (Read 161807 times)

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: European And Israeli Sim Discussion
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
I found Gizmo5 on Ebay. Will it still work for me with Google Voice to make international calls over PC?

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »
Until apr 3rd
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
When I was just in Paris I bought myself a prepaid Virgin mobile SIM at the Virgin store on the Champs Elysees and plugged it into my VZW BB Tour. It worked fine (without data obviously) for what I needed and was really easy to buy and get set up.

Offline Knaper_Chuchem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
This is probably not the right place for this (although I hate it when others do it... What do you mean it's not the right place??? if it's not the right place why then did you post it here....!!?) 

However, I'm searching high and low for contact info for the Orange Store at TLV Airport. If anyone can post it here, I'd greatly appreciate!

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
May I ask why specifically that Orange (btw you can order a bigtalk SIM from the post office and have them ship it here).

Offline Knaper_Chuchem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2011, 08:11:21 PM »
I consulted with 2 people that frequent Israel, both said Orange is the best option for someone that has an unlocked Blackberry for Data and Talk minutes. They charge like 90 ils for a month's worth of unlimited data, then 10 ils a month for talk minutes charged as follows .25 for US and .49 for Israel (go figure the irony as to why they charge double for local than international..)

I'd like to get it in the airport when I get there, that's why I want their number to confirm that they carry these packages and SIM cards.

If anyone has some other (better) advice, I'm wide open...

Otherwise I'd appreciate to get their phone number. Thanks all!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2011, 05:17:21 AM »
I consulted with 2 people that frequent Israel, both said Orange is the best option for someone that has an unlocked Blackberry for Data and Talk minutes. They charge like 90 ils for a month's worth of unlimited data, then 10 ils a month for talk minutes charged as follows .25 for US and .49 for Israel (go figure the irony as to why they charge double for local than international..)

I'd like to get it in the airport when I get there, that's why I want their number to confirm that they carry these packages and SIM cards.

Are you looking for this? Doesn't look like the number is listed, though you should get answers at the listed number. Can you call Israeli 800 numbers from outside Israel?

Orange.co.il doesn't seem to list the numbers either.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:24:20 AM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Knaper_Chuchem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »
This is probably the location, but yet again no contact info. The 800 number is Orange's national number, which I couldn't figure out how to call, I tried 011-972-1-800-xxx-xxx or 011-972-800-xxx-xxx to no avail.

Again, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:45 AM »
This is probably the location, but yet again no contact info. The 800 number is Orange's national number, which I couldn't figure out how to call, I tried 011-972-1-800-xxx-xxx or 011-972-800-xxx-xxx to no avail.

Again, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

You cant call 800 numbers from outside their home country.

Offline BillyBong

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »

just know that when you call the USA through you orange sim card you are actually using one of the long distance providers in israel (012, 013, 014 etc. ) and it might come out to much more. so better check who you are going to dial through when calling the USA

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2011, 11:45:47 AM »
Bought the $10 ATT world phone on sale, and these online guys are having a hard time unlocking. They told me to go to store or provider to unlock. I see ATT officially you have to have for 6 months before they unlock for you. Granted I only tried one place and trying another now but I need to wait 24 hours before they respond. IS it a chutzpa to walk into ATT store and ask for code on a $10 phone I bought from them and never even used? Any suggestions of a site I should try?

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »
When you are abroad, how do you use Google Voice?

Is there anywhere to find more info on how to use skype or google voice from israel to the US? I guess these are free or cheap ways to make calls but I'm in the dark as to actually doing it. (tried searching but did not find much) Thanks!

Offline fdg9

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
How to get a cellphone for use in europe
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »
traveling to europe in July. My verzion plan is .99/min. what phone/plan should i rent/buy?

Note: my phone doesnt have WIFI, so i can't use it with skype or google without incurring crazy data charges....

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: How to get a cellphone for use in europe
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »
u can try travelcell (travelcell.com) i know they send out to europe i cant promise on the price i just know my husband works for them and if u wud need help or a good deal u can contact him

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »
What country?

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
European And Israeli Sim Discussion
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
I was in Israel for a while now and I can tell you that the best plan is prob cellcom which has much better service then orange . And what you need to ask for is the chayal plan - which they give to basically anyone I think and theres no contract .
It cost around 70 shekel a month for 5gb or unlimeted data (don't remember ) and calling is really cheap as well as txting.

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
Need advice please on a good plan with BB data for frequent travel to Israel.

Orange store in Geula offered a no commitment plan with a 36 NIS monthly fee, local calls .59/min, U.S. calls .39/min, and BIS Blackberry data 78 NIS monthly which can be added/removed at will with charges prorated according to number of days used. SIM card cost 100NIS at purchase. I went for it as I had no time to research, but can switch plans at any time.

Anyone know of anything better (and legitimate)? Would a contract plan make more sense?

Thanks in advance!

(P.S. I see on my online bill that of the 36 NIS monthly fee, 18 is listed as "monthly charge for rate program" and 18 as "surfing package 30MB." Shouldn't I be able to call and remove the surfing package and only pay 18?)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:14:46 PM by Flying Fish »

Offline sawlw

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »
Cellcoms "chaylim" plan is as follows,
25 sheq month voice, .29 first min, .19 second (prorated)
.18 sms
75 sheq BB + unlimited data @5mbps I believe
No contract
BB service can be added and removed as needed (a drop of a pain, like all customer service in israel)

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2011, 01:01:42 AM »
Cellcoms "chaylim" plan is as follows,
25 sheq month voice, .29 first min, .19 second (prorated)
.18 sms
75 sheq BB + unlimited data @5mbps I believe
No contract
BB service can be added and removed as needed (a drop of a pain, like all customer service in israel)

Slight problem is that I am not a Chayal and in no way deserve rates which are offered specifically to soldiers.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:31:23 AM by Flying Fish »

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2011, 04:14:29 AM »
In that case you should enlist.