Topic Wiki

Roaming on U.S. carriers
Verizon: $25 per each 100MB when Gobal Data feature is activated. Exorbitant calling rates.
AT&T:
T-Mobile: Simple Choice plans (postpaid-only which requires credit pull, but you can cancel anytime) include unlimited data roaming at 2G speeds in 120+ countries. Calls between any of these countries are $.20 /min.
Sprint: - For some reason its a bit complicated - https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html - http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/ - http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/support/BizMultiCountryDataPack.pdf
intlroam.sprint.com

International SIM cards

Google Fi
All plans include coverage in the US, Canada, and Mexico. Unlimited Plus and Flexible also come with data in 200+ international destinations, and 5G in select countries for supported Pixel and Samsung phones. Try Fi for free: Test our coverage to see how we keep you connected. Our 7⁠-⁠day trial works right on your phone alongside your current service.

Toggle Mobile:
Covers the U.S., many European countries (though not Italy or Belgium), and Australia. Rates from these countries are £.03 to all USA and UK phones both mobile and landline, £.03 to landlines and £.09 to mobiles in many other countries, £.06 to Israel landlines and £.15 to Israel mobiles. SMS to most (looks like all) countries is £.07. Data bundles start at £5 for 500 MB in the UK and £20 for 1GB in the other Toggle countries. Incoming calls are free in 20+ countries.

SIMs can be ordered online and shipped free to many countries. You automatically receive a free permanent U.K. number. Before each trip you must register online for a local incoming number in the countries you are travelling to, which activates the roaming plan and lasts 30 days at no cost. You can pay £5 a year to keep numbers permanently.

Golan Telecom:
The 99₪ unlimited talk/text/internet/international calling plan, which also gives you up to 2 virtual foreign numbers, also includes for many countries (not all have launched yet) unlimited global data roaming (6GB high-speed), incoming calls & texts, and calls & texts to Israel.

Alternatively, Golan also offers a ₪29 per day data-only roaming plan which gives 100MB a day in these countries (all have been launched). These roaming options can be very useful for foreigners regardless of whether they need Golan for Israel.

VOIP calling apps

Vonage Mobile: Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link). Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer and activate ReachMe roaming in the app.

Google Hangouts: Uses your Google Voice number over VOIP. Free calls to US/CA, very cheap int'l rates (see link).

Local SIM cards

Israel: See wiki on this thread.

Global MiFi
FreedomPop $10/500mb
https://www.freedompop.com/worldwide

eSims

See PlatinumGuys post for more info.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I was just mindblown. In 60 seconds online, I was able to buy a data package in a different country from Airalo and install it on my iPhone - keeping calls on the primary Verizon SIM and data on the Airalo eSim.

FWIW, they offer 15GB in Israel for $15 - and you can buy more easily online if it runs out, but I don't know which network Annatel resells

Airalo promo code FOUNDERS30 for 30% off up to $7 (I don't benefit in any way)

Another vendor is https://esim.knowroaming.com, I guess you have to compare destination to destination.
https://esimdb.com is a great database for vendors in different locations.

« Last edited by Suave on September 19, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »

Author Topic: International Sim Discussion  (Read 161708 times)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: International Sim Discussion
« Reply #400 on: May 02, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »
You can add 3G for a charge.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 02, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
he is looking for data and tmobile data Officially sucks international
I thought from the convo here + DDFB that it isn't all that terrible.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 02, 2014, 05:15:23 PM »
I thought from the convo here + DDFB that it isn't all that terrible.
ya, I just Looked over the convo and im not sure why I thought that

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 02, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »
ya, I just Looked over the convo and im not sure why I thought that
lol +1

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #404 on: May 05, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
Is there any alternative to GrooveIP when traveling internationally with wifi access? I saw that it wont work with GV anymore after 5/14/14.

Offline moish

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #405 on: May 07, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »
tmobile 2g is not good for loading web pages, can sometimes take 10+ seconds. but for email and apps such as waze, its fine.

as has been stated, you can pay for a data plan for the 3g

Offline dudi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #406 on: May 07, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »
Was asked about a Sim for Italy does anyone know what's the best way to get a sim and where? Need it all incoming outgoing data

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 07, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »
Was asked about a Sim for Italy does anyone know what's the best way to get a sim and where? Need it all incoming outgoing data

It's very hard to get a local Italian SIM. They require registration and there is usually a language barrier. Shop around. You may also consider the  cellomobile.com international SIM card and Mifi rental for data.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 07, 2014, 11:34:06 PM »
Assuming we go with the $50 TMobile plan, now that GrooveIP is not an option for making calls, calls will be .20/min with TMobile. From the obi (whatever that means) thread, I found out that with Google Hangouts (including the app - at least iPhone, there was uncertainty whether the Android app can make calls yet) you can make calls for free to US numbers, .02/min to most European landlines and .10/min to most European cell phones. That's not too bad.

But, I realized that we're kinda missing out on something here. We will only have a US number. If anyone abroad needs to contact us - friends/family in Israel, hotels, tour guides, etc. - they would have to call a US number. Not so sure how well that will work. The only way to get local numbers in each country is by going the SIM-per-country route, right?

Online Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 07, 2014, 11:39:45 PM »
Why do you want people to be able to call you. Get away with your wife for a little bit
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 07, 2014, 11:42:54 PM »
Why do you want people to be able to call you. Get away with your wife for a little bit
I second that! Albeit my latest Euro trip was with a friend not a spouse, but we still enjoyed so much more without the distraction of our phones. And there was wifi in the hotels in the mornings and nights to catch up on emails, whatsapps and calling the family back home.

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 08, 2014, 12:12:21 AM »
Assuming we go with the $50 TMobile plan, now that GrooveIP is not an option for making calls, calls will be .20/min with TMobile. From the obi (whatever that means) thread, I found out that with Google Hangouts (including the app - at least iPhone, there was uncertainty whether the Android app can make calls yet) you can make calls for free to US numbers, .02/min to most European landlines and .10/min to most European cell phones. That's not too bad.

But, I realized that we're kinda missing out on something here. We will only have a US number. If anyone abroad needs to contact us - friends/family in Israel, hotels, tour guides, etc. - they would have to call a US number. Not so sure how well that will work. The only way to get local numbers in each country is by going the SIM-per-country route, right?
from the point of having a Israeli number why not use misparchinam.com? My number goes straight to my GV number

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 08, 2014, 06:07:36 AM »
It's very hard to get a local Italian SIM. They require registration and there is usually a language barrier.
unless something changed recently, it was quite simple to get a local sim

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 08, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
unless something changed recently, it was quite simple to get a local sim
at the airport? Online? Please elaborate

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 08, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »
from the point of having a Israeli number why not use misparchinam.com? My number goes straight to my GV number
Thanks! Any idea if I actually need a GV number, or can I just use it hooked up to my regular number like I normally use GV?
Although we did discuss this a bit in my thread, I want a phone for 3 reasons:
1)Safety
2)GPS
3)People to call - family if emergency, friends and family in Israel who want to meet up. We're also going to Israel specifically for a cousin's wedding, so there will be plenty of family there for that with Israeli numbers that won't want to pay high fees calling a US number in case they need to contact us.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 08, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
at the airport? Online? Please elaborate
airport

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 08, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
Thanks! Any idea if I actually need a GV number, or can I just use it hooked up to my regular number like I normally use GV?Although we did discuss this a bit in my thread, I want a phone for 3 reasons:
1)Safety
2)GPS
3)People to call - family if emergency, friends and family in Israel who want to meet up. We're also going to Israel specifically for a cousin's wedding, so there will be plenty of family there for that with Israeli numbers that won't want to pay high fees calling a US number in case they need to contact us.
the idea of it is that as long as its to a american number it will forward to it so if you are talking about an american number there is no reason why it shouldn't work.
Just make sure bcs I heard misparchinam may not be giving numbers anymore

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 08, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »
It's on and off... Right now their website seems up and running and it looks like they are giving numbers.

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 12, 2014, 02:07:59 PM »
Is there any alternative to GrooveIP when traveling internationally with wifi access? I saw that it wont work with GV anymore after 5/14/14.
Vonage Mobile. Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 12, 2014, 02:11:13 PM »
Vonage Mobile. Uses your real number for outgoing caller ID, and also for incoming calls if you are a tmobile/AT&T customer.
Is that free?