Author Topic: Next Vacation - Ideas  (Read 1132510 times)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Next Vacation - Ideas
« Reply #1520 on: October 31, 2014, 12:53:33 AM »
I'm a big believer in maximizing your time in MLE. :)

Though frankly, I think you should change things slightly, and work out to spend the time in CNX instead of BKK (even if it means buying an extra BKK-CNX ticket on Air Asia or something). CNX is much nicer and more fun, and the Chabad shliach there is awesome.
How can I do CNX? Im arriving in BKK Wednesday late at night, so I am sleeping over in BKK. Now, I am not getting up 5 o'clock in the morning, I will not be ready to take a flight to CNX until 11:00 in the morning so by the time I get to CNX I have maybe a half a day which is definitely not enough for CNX... Now, Sunday morning I have to be back in BKK for my flight to MLE. Not possible..

Not possible within his itinerary. He's already pushing it as it is: 3 days in MLE is just not enough, IMHO.
Again, if I can't be there for Shabbos this is what I have to do. moish is going for 3 days, CBS was there for 3/4 days.. CBS writes that this amount of days is perfect for the Maldives.

The only difference between option 4 and 5 is where I will be spending from Thu till Fri morning, either SIN or BKK.

With this in mind, do you guys still recommend BKK? Meir, do you have anything in specific why you recommend BKK over SIN?

(It looks like Kanchanaburi is just 2 hour drive from BKK, maybe I should spend my stay over there? From the DDF wiki it seems that there is nice things what to do there).
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #1521 on: October 31, 2014, 02:01:45 AM »
moish is going for 3 days, CBS was there for 3/4 days.. CBS writes that this amount of days is perfect for the Maldives.

And I think he's wrong. I feel that generally, even 6 days may not be enough, and I'm sure AJK and chuchem (and maybe others) will agree with me.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #1522 on: October 31, 2014, 02:05:28 AM »
Upon further investigation, I realize I misread somewhat (your post is rather confusing :P)... I'm more in favor of option 4 now.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 31, 2014, 02:31:03 AM »
And I think he's wrong. I feel that generally, even 6 days may not be enough, and I'm sure AJK and chuchem (and maybe others) will agree with me.
Well, CBS said that 4 days was good enough. I can't go wrong....

i don't have the privileges AJK has  :P

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 31, 2014, 02:35:24 AM »
Upon further investigation, I realize I misread somewhat (your post is rather confusing :P)... I'm more in favor of option 4 now.
And I worked SO HARD not to hear this statement  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ;)

Usually I give such stuff for my wife to go over, but this trip will be a surprise (she knows were heading to Asia but no real details) so I did not want her to read everything. But yeah usually when I have to send out profasinal emails etc.. my wife has to approve it before. Well, blame my english teacher  ;)

Now, why are you in favor of SIN rather that BKK where I can go to Kanchanaburi and have Damnoan saduak Floating markets, Alligator farm (With Tigers and elephants as well), Snake farms, Aquarium, Zip line (flight of gibbon),
tiger temple, elephant rides, safari,water fall, rafting etc.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:38:53 AM by ilherman »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1525 on: October 31, 2014, 02:46:16 AM »
I couldn't follow your main long email, but I'd probably choose SIN over BKK, even though I preferred Rabbi Kantor himself.  SIN is cleaner, more upscale, has an amazing Grand Hyatt, and a kosher Coffee Bean, has plenty to do for no less than 3-4 days.

That being said, if one city is more convenient for routing purposes, go with whichever is easier.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 31, 2014, 02:57:24 AM »
And I worked SO HARD not to hear this statement  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ;)

Usually I give such stuff for my wife to go over, but this trip will be a surprise (she knows were heading to Asia but no real details) so I did not want her to read everything. But yeah usually when I have to send out profasinal emails etc.. my wife has to approve it before. Well, blame my english teacher  ;)

It's not your English - that was fine. It was the way the information was presented that was confusing. Two tips:

1) Once you're writing such a long post anyway, may as well write out each thing every time, instead of writing the equivalent of "ayin l'el" - i.e. write "return: XXX-YYY-ZZZ" even if its the third option using that return routing, not just "return: same as number 2". Because otherwise, before you know it, it gets really confusing ("Option 7: the outbound of option 3, the stay of option 6, the return of option 2-and-three-quarters, with the pros and cons of 3.14159265359..."), It's far better to just fully elaborate each option, every time.

2) Next time, split the outbounds and returns into two lists ("my outbound options are XXX-YYY-ZZZ and XXX-QQQ-ZZZ; my returns are ZZZ-LLL-VVV-XXX, ZZZ-XXX or ZZZ-ABCDEFGH-XXX") and let us mix-and-match them.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 31, 2014, 03:00:23 AM »
Now, why are you in favor of SIN rather that BKK where I can go to Kanchanaburi and have Damnoan saduak Floating markets, Alligator farm (With Tigers and elephants as well), Snake farms, Aquarium, Zip line (flight of gibbon),
tiger temple, elephant rides, safari,water fall, rafting etc.

Because you can do all that (and more) in CNX, on a proper Thailand trip in the future. The attractions in BKK are generally b'dieved, compared to other parts of the country.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1528 on: October 31, 2014, 03:05:18 AM »
It's not your English - that was fine. It was the way the information was presented that was confusing. Two tips:

1) Once you're writing such a long post anyway, may as well write out each thing every time, instead of writing the equivalent of "ayin l'el" - i.e. write "return: XXX-YYY-ZZZ" even if its the third option using that return routing, not just "return: same as number 2". Because otherwise, before you know it, it gets really confusing ("Option 7: the outbound of option 3, the stay of option 6, the return of option 2-and-three-quarters, with the pros and cons of 3.14159265359..."), It's far better to just fully elaborate each option, every time.

2) Next time, split the outbounds and returns into two lists ("my outbound options are XXX-YYY-ZZZ and XXX-QQQ-ZZZ; my returns are ZZZ-LLL-VVV-XXX, ZZZ-XXX or ZZZ-ABCDEFGH-XXX") and let us mix-and-match them.

+1, and use GC mapper to give visual aid, and provide mileage costs, etc.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 31, 2014, 03:19:36 AM »

LOL!

1) You're a 100% right. I just thought that its long enough, and if I'll keep repeating them It will be TOO long.

Will know for the future.

Because you can do all that (and more) in CNX, on a proper Thailand trip in the future. The attractions in BKK are generally b'dieved, compared to other parts of the country.
Honestly, I don't think that ANOTHER trip will happen anytime soon... (soon, I mean the next couple of years..) That being said, would you still say to leave BKK for a different time when I can spend a week in Thailand and do SIN for now? Or in this case I should get to see a bit what Thailand ia all about?

I couldn't follow your main long email, but I'd probably choose SIN over BKK, even though I preferred Rabbi Kantor himself.  SIN is cleaner, more upscale, has an amazing Grand Hyatt, and a kosher Coffee Bean, has plenty to do for no less than 3-4 days.

That being said, if one city is more convenient for routing purposes, go with whichever is easier.
BKK is easier just because PG has availability now. But SQ usually opens up seats closer in and they do have 1 seat available now so thats not really the issue.

But see my question I asked Moishe in post number 1529; line 11  ;) ;)   

Reg GC map, I wanted to do it but you never responded to my email reg that  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:22:48 AM by ilherman »

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: October 31, 2014, 03:22:36 AM »
That being said, would you still say to leave BKK for a different time when I can spend a week in Thailand and do SIN for now? Or in this case I should get to see a bit what Thailand ia all about?

My gut tells me SIN.

Online Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 31, 2014, 03:24:45 AM »
My gut tells me SIN.

Same here, was my response right from the beginning.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 31, 2014, 03:35:42 AM »
So to double check, you guys say SIN even lets say I don't plan on visiting Asia again for the next 15 years?

Even though the hands on activities in Thailand sound so cool?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 31, 2014, 03:36:49 AM »
Same here, was my response right from the beginning.
At least someone understood me  :D

Online Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: October 31, 2014, 03:38:06 AM »
So to double check, you guys say SIN even lets say I don't plan on visiting Asia again for the next 15 years?

Even though the hands on activities in Thailand sound so cool?

That quickly jumped from a couple years (above) to 15! If your gut is telling you to do BKK, go with it. Though SIN seems to be an incredible city.

Online Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 31, 2014, 03:39:13 AM »
At least someone understood me  :D

Lol :) - I will admit it was a little complicating, take the tips from the pros for future.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: October 31, 2014, 03:41:42 AM »
That quickly jumped from a couple years (above) to 15! If your gut is telling you to do BKK, go with it. Though SIN seems to be an incredible city.
I have no idea when/if I will return. I jsut said 15 years to bring out my point that in case I wont return to Asia, maybe I should rather do Thailand. But you guys start convincing me to do SIN. Though Im still waiting for Meir to respond why he choose BKK. Maybe he was confused as well  ;)

Offline dealfinder85

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 31, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »
always like to have my next vacation spot targeted so that when the time frees up i can plan, or if a deal pops up
been to phoenix, la, sd, going to orlando.
places in the US are just easier so im looking for other good targets (i dont ski)
possibly willing to branch out internationally but those may require more time and planning

Online Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 31, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »
always like to have my next vacation spot targeted so that when the time frees up i can plan, or if a deal pops up
been to phoenix, la, sd, going to orlando.
places in the US are just easier so im looking for other good targets (i dont ski)
possibly willing to branch out internationally but those may require more time and planning

LV?

Offline dealfinder85

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 31, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »