Author Topic: Next Vacation - Ideas  (Read 1112699 times)

Offline eli1571

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Next Vacation - Ideas
« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »
p

Offline yare

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 05, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
i think we're going to get away for a rare 4 day vacation without the kids in october/november, we'll be flying out of tlv, looking for recommendations... 

i was thinking about hkg, never been to asia, but with the flight times we'll only end up with two days there.        cdg is an option, but it's supposed to be cold and rainy that time of year.      mle will give us about two and a half days on ground, but i think we'd rather something more interesting

suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:05:24 PM by yare »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #262 on: May 05, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »
Assuming you're based on the East Coast (?), with 4 days you don't go anywhere beyond the left coast, the Caribbean, Central America, or mayyyybe Western EU.

Even considering MLE, HKG, BKK, etc for such a short trip is borderline insanity.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 05, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
Assuming you're based on the East Coast (?), with 4 days you don't go anywhere beyond the left coast, the Caribbean, Central America, or mayyyybe Western EU.

Even considering MLE, HKG, BKK, etc for such a short trip is borderline insanity.
lol, forgot to mention, based in tlv          edited it

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 07, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »
i think we're going to get away for a rare 4 day vacation without the kids in october/november, we'll be flying out of tlv, looking for recommendations... 

i was thinking about hkg, never been to asia, but with the flight times we'll only end up with two days there.        cdg is an option, but it's supposed to be cold and rainy that time of year.      mle will give us about two and a half days on ground, but i think we'd rather something more interesting

suggestions?
it seems like we could get 2 and a half days in singapore...             can anyone whose been to both hkg and sin, give their thoughts on which one would make a better short trip?

Offline jmansour

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 08, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »
it seems like we could get 2 and a half days in singapore...             can anyone whose been to both hkg and sin, give their thoughts on which one would make a better short trip?

Hong kong is much better in my opinion a lot more to do/see plus more kosher options. Try going to phuket if you can its worth the trip.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
Looking for ideas of places to go. should I do eze, gig, igu?
looking for travel from NYC, for a week, sans kids. we like nature, hiking, outdoors and museums. we don't enjoy lounging at a pool/beach for very long (unless we have a private pool/bbq, but I could do that for free at my uncles vacation home). so any ideas? wife says Hawaii is too prust (and anyways, very far and we'd have to keep two days shabbos)
need minyan only for shabbos
thanks for your ideas
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:27:46 PM by Ergel »
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #267 on: May 17, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »
Hawaii does not need to be prust at all and can easily be done Sun-Thurs night. Frankly it sounds right up your alley.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »
Hawaii does not need to be prust at all and can easily be done Sun-Thurs night. Frankly it sounds right up your alley.
I didn't say it is prust, I said what the wife thinks. which I may not be able to overcome

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #269 on: May 17, 2013, 02:26:12 PM »
And Mishpacha doesn't want to print that HNL-JFK can cost more miles than booking HNL-JFK-LHR because HNL is off-limits...

Most people assume it is prust because they think HI and they think beach culture like in the carribean.
But the entire city of GIG is prust, far more so than in Hawaii.  Off the beach in HI people dress normally.  In Rio everyone walks around the entire city like it's a beach.  And that's not even getting to the physical dangers that plague the city.

My point is that you can go to LIH, OGG, or ITO and have the best outdoors experience you've had in your lifetimes without ever touching a beach.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
My point is that you can go to LIH, OGG, or ITO and have the best outdoors experience you've had in your lifetimes without ever touching a beach.

+1, but we're still planning on going go EZE, IGU, GIG anyway.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 17, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
+1, but we're still planning on going go EZE, IGU, GIG anyway.
And they're all fantastic, though EZE gets quite cold in the winter.
But if you're looking to avoid anything prust don't step foot into GIG. And beware that it can be dangerous there.

But if you're into nature/hiking/outdoors it doesn't get better than HI where the beauty is unparallelled, it's safe, your cell phone and cash work perfectly, you can walk into Costco/WM to buy kosher food, etc.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 17, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »
And they're all fantastic, though EZE gets quite cold in the winter.
But if you're looking to avoid anything prust don't step foot into GIG. And beware that it can be dangerous there.

But if you're into nature/hiking/outdoors it doesn't get better than HI where the beauty is unparallelled, it's safe, your cell phone and cash work perfectly, you can walk into Costco/WM to buy kosher food, etc.
you've convinced me, onto the wife
is gru better?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 17, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
you've convinced me, onto the wife
is gru better?
It's all relative, I almost died in GRU 6 years ago and haven't been back to Brazil since.  But it does generally feel safer there especially in the business and jewish areas. There are museums and kosher food there but nothing that's outdoors or sightseeing there like GIG has.

FWIW this happened a couple months ago in Rio...http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/04/02/american-woman-reportedly-held-for-hours-victim-gang-rape-in-brazil
Sad because I have heard that that they are really working on crime there.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 17, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »
FWIW this happened a couple months ago in Rio...http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/04/02/american-woman-reportedly-held-for-hours-victim-gang-rape-in-brazil
Sad because I have heard that that they are really working on crime there.

From the article above:
"These type of crimes committed against foreign tourists are very uncommon," said Alexandre Braga, the police officer leading the investigation.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 17, 2013, 05:05:49 PM »
And Mishpacha doesn't want to print that HNL-JFK can cost more miles than booking HNL-JFK-LHR because HNL is off-limits...

Most people assume it is prust because they think HI and they think beach culture like in the carribean.
But the entire city of GIG is prust, far more so than in Hawaii.  Off the beach in HI people dress normally.  In Rio everyone walks around the entire city like it's a beach.  And that's not even getting to the physical dangers that plague the city.

I couldn't agree with you more. It gets me so annoyed that when I go to HI I can't tell certain ppl cause they think it's so awful but if I go to MIA and stay on the beach no one raises an eyebrow. As you said HI is not prust at all if you do it right.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more. It gets me so annoyed that when I go to HI I can't tell certain ppl cause they think it's so awful but if I go to MIA and stay on the beach no one raises an eyebrow. As you said HI is not prust at all if you do it right.

Miami is way worse IMO.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
+1 but MIA is OK to write about and HNL is not.

Offline Shreknit

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 17, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
I'm planning a nice trip to st Lucia I'm gonna have a nice  itinerary shortly as well that I would love to share.

Offline chookshook

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2013, 11:10:14 PM »
What's a good option close to the west cost? Based near SFO. I've visited all of CA and Las Vegas plenty of times. Any destinations nearby? I can drive or fly looking for something close. Hawaii seems like a good option and I'm looking at Puerto Vallarta since Hilton points are easy to get and the Hilton there seems like a decent option at 60k a night. Need some recommendations.