Author Topic: Next Vacation - Ideas  (Read 1112507 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Next Vacation - Ideas
« Reply #1360 on: October 20, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
MLE is wonderful as a couple. But to fly to the farthest corner of the earth to spend time in a water hut with an infant is ridiculous.

And you're entitled to that opinion.

But I fail to see why shlepping an infant (and in some cases in addition to a toddler) to HKG+CNX+USM or an arduous South America trip is any less "ridiculous."
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 20, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »
I stuck my infant in the crib in USM. No way to crawl/climb etc.  into the pool.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1362 on: October 20, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »
And you're entitled to that opinion.

But I fail to see why shlepping an infant (and in some cases in addition to a toddler) to HKG+CNX+USM or an arduous South America trip is any less "ridiculous."

Activities in most cities can be done with an infant in a baby carrier or stroller.  Those activities and the food there are typically unique to that city.  Travel with an infant on a plane, even in F, is not an enjoyable exercise, but the activities make up for that.

You go to MLE to enjoy warm clear ocean waters filled with flora and fauna and to relax. And you pay $$$$ for that experience.
None of which of which is very feasible with kids.  And if your goal is just to relax it can be done without a torturous 30 hour journey.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 20, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
I don't think i would bring me kid to MLE, or some place like it, as all/most activities would be water based and therefore not doable (assuming no babysitter). I had no problem dragging my kid through Thailand as we were able to do activities with him, and not just sit and watch everything. There were things we couldn't do, but enough stuff to do, that we had a great time.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1364 on: October 20, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
I don't think i would bring me kid to MLE, or some place like it, as all/most activities would be water based and therefore not doable (assuming no babysitter). I had no problem dragging my kid through Thailand as we were able to do activities, with him and not just sit and watch everything. There were things we couldn't do, but enough stuff to do, that we had a great time.
Well AJK, that's 3/3 assuming I'm right about chuchem.

Point is that with a kid it won't be relaxing and you won't be enjoying the ocean. So why travel 30 hours and spend the $$$$ with little kids?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:57:09 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1365 on: October 20, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
Activities in most cities can be done with an infant in a baby carrier or stroller.  Those activities and the food there are typically unique to that city.  Travel with an infant on a plane, even in F, is not an enjoyable exercise, but the activities make up for that.

You go to MLE to enjoy warm clear ocean waters filled with flora and fauna and to relax. And you pay $$$$ for that experience.
None of which of which is very feasible with kids.  And if your goal is just to relax it can be done without a torturous 30 hour journey.

I can't speak to children, as I don't yet have any, but I can tell you that despite the "uniqueness" of the activities and food in places that can be done with a stroller, of the places I've been to, the one I'd most likely return to out of all of them is MLE.

There is something magical about MLE that simply does not exist in Puerto Rico. Sorry.

And, regardless of whether or not I have children, no one can dispute it will be easier to do MLE with a three month old infant who doesn't walk or even crawl, then it will be when that child is a toddler, or when that toddler turns into 2, 3, or 4 kids.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 20, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »
I can't speak to children, as I don't yet have any, but I can tell you that despite the "uniqueness" of the activities and food in places that can be done with a stroller, of the places I've been to, the one I'd most likely return to out of all of them is MLE.

There is something magical about MLE that simply does not exist in Puerto Rico. Sorry.

And, regardless of whether or not I have children, no one can dispute it will be easier to do MLE with a three month old infant who doesn't walk or even crawl, then it will be when that child is a toddler, or when that toddler turns into 2, 3, or 4 kids.
Agree with that, though that would be if you were ok to just sit around and do nothing. If one wanted to get PADI certified, it would be hard to do with a kid or would only be attainable by ditching the significant other.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 20, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
Well AJK, that's 3/3 assuming I'm right about chuchem.

Point is that with a kid it won't be relaxing and you won't be enjoying the ocean. So why travel 30 hours and spend the $$$$ with little kids?

Hmmm... that's awfully convenient for you, eh?

One referred to a toddler; not the situation under discussion.

Another referred to a lack of babysitting; not the situation I suggested.

Notwithstanding, my only point in mentioning those other DDF'ers was to prove that "30 hours of travel in F" doesn't automatically mean someone with a three month old is stuck traveling to Puerto Rico.  They can all individually say that they wouldn't--even in the scenario I'm talking about--go to MLE, but that would be beside the point.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 20, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
Agree with that, though that would be if you were ok to just sit around and do nothing. If one wanted to get PADI certified, it would be hard to do with a kid or would only be attainable by ditching the significant other.

Again, you're assuming no resort has baby sitting.

One doesn't have to ditch their spouse.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1369 on: October 20, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
Not what I said.  More than possible to travel with kids. I'll prove that this week.

Where you off to?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 20, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »
The flights with an infant that little (especially in F) were a non-issue as they sleep most of the time. The sleeping together with the size of seat/bed in most F cabins make it very manageable.

On a couple F flights, we were even able to use the empty seats, making it that much easier.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 20, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »
The flights with an infant that little (especially in F) were a non-issue as they sleep most of the time. The sleeping together with the size of seat/bed in most F cabins make it very manageable.

On a couple F flights, we were even able to use the empty seats, making it that much easier.

Ding ding. Finally.

Now, was that so hard? :)

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 20, 2014, 05:05:47 PM »

One doesn't have to ditch their spouse.
If the resort has babysitting, then you can enjoy it as a couple.

Otherwise, someone needs to be watching the child and therefore hindering the potential enjoyment one can have sans child.

-Some people may not be comfortable with a sitter in a foreign country as well. All adding up to MLE being a bit more "annoying" to travel to with a kid... FirstWorldProblems...
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 20, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »
Ding ding. Finally.

Now, was that so hard? :)
If it was up to me, i would have added more stopovers :)
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 20, 2014, 05:07:29 PM »
If the resort has babysitting, then you can enjoy it as a couple.

That was the premise.

And many of these resorts have babysitting.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: October 20, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »

The uniqueness of MLE for me at least was being able to wake up in the morning and jump into and snorkel in warm beautiful water teeming with life.

That's not doable with a kid.

Again, spoken like someone with no kids.
98% of mothers would never leave someone they labored out to a complete stranger.  Especially not an infant/toddler.

They sleep for 30+ hours?

Rafi didn't sleep more than 2 hours in a row until he was 6 months old.  Talia is a much better sleeper, but still not for more than 10 hours ever.

F is gan eden without kids. It's not the same experience with kids, period.
With a fussy kid it's downright miserable, especially when the stares start coming and people suggest that you give your kid a suppository...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 20, 2014, 05:26:03 PM »

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »
Nice! Already waiting for the TR! :)

Have a great time!
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 20, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »
Nice! Already waiting for the TR! :)

Have a great time!

And thanks to TAM F I won't have to worry about stares or bothering other F pax :D

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 20, 2014, 05:31:38 PM »
They sleep for 30+ hours?

Rafi didn't sleep more than 2 hours in a row until he was 6 months old.  Talia is a much better sleeper, but still not for more than 10 hours ever.

JFK-ICN-BKK was not all sleep, but my kid at that age was not really moving around much or causing issues.

I do look forward to F without a kid. Sounds magical.
Quaerite et Invenietis.