Topic Wiki

Use this website to find the best deals
https://prepaidcompare.net/#plans

Small List compiled for Flip phone service. Regular service with unlimited data and all to come.

1.Tracfone-All Carriers $20 Talk/Text 1GB ($30 for first 6 months)
1b. Unlimited talk and text, no data $15/month ($10 with auto pay)

2.Mobi-Verizon $10 (Additional $5 off the 1st three months)

3.Tello-Tmobile $8 , US Mobile.

4.HelloMobile-Tmobile $5 (first 2 months for $5)

-EXPLAINED A BIT MORE IN DETAIL-
Tracfone Wireless- (CDMA/GSM Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T)
First 6 months at $30 plus taxes.
Pay for the first 2 months $15 each month with autopay, then use reward points for the next 4 months. Use Referral code OOAB-E354 to get you 8,000 points. You must activate and set up the rewards within 14 days of activating Phone service.
  They limit 5 uses per month, so feel free to PM before using if you want to confirm they work for this month, as well they seem to be changing the referral code after every use. So feel free to post in the thread or message me for a new code.
       The points will only kick in after 60 days of service(hence the reason for keeping paid service for 60 days) the points will kick in getting you 8,000 Points, which is enough for 4 months free. You can redeem 2,000($20) increments for a free month of service and do that for a total of 4 months free.
  Now you must turn off auto pay after the first 2 months in order for the free 4 months that you added to kick in.  If you don't turn off auto pay it will continue billing your credit card and you will not get those free months until you turn off auto pay.
 Works on CDMA or GSM.

Mobi Wireless- (Verizon/CDMA)
 $10 a month. With a referral code you can get another $5 off the 1st three months which I can give you. You need to sign up in the first week for the referral bonus to kick in.
Click here to pm me for the info.

Tello Mobile (GSM/T-Mobile)
$8 Month with Unlimited t&t and no data. Picture message might not work without data services.
$10 unlimited Talk/Text + 1GB. 60 free international destinations - UK, Canada, France etc but not Israel
(Find someone with a referral code or $10 off referral code = P3VB48C7)
wifi calling and ESim supported

Hello Mobile (GSM/T-Mobile)
 $5 Month with Talk/Text 500mb.
Unlimited calling to most international destinations. Canada/Israel/UK and many more.  2nd month free as well. Free sim card.

If you know of others please add to the wiki.
  Feel free to PM me with any questions or post in this thread so a dedicated member can help you out.

Mobi for me comes out to $14.05 in NY after taxes.
Vs
Us mobile i pool 2 phones and I  pay just $20.96 for 2 lines after tax. Both on the Verizon network

Use this website to find the best deals
https://prepaidcompare.net/#plans

H2O which runs on AT&T has a annual plan unlimited talk and text for $60 plus tax with free international calling as well

http://www.whistleout.com/cellphones
« Last edited by myi on December 04, 2022, 09:36:47 PM »

Author Topic: Need help finding a cellphone plan? Post here! US edition (Master thread)  (Read 252886 times)

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding a cellphone plan? Post here! US edition (Master thread)
« Reply #720 on: January 29, 2018, 09:00:14 PM »
Looking to switch from Verizon prepaid to a postpaid plan. Unlimited talk text and 4 GB data.

I currently pay 31.00 per line for 2 lines
I will need 2 lines with unlimited talk, text and 4 GB/each. One has to be a smartphone, while the second line may be a basic phone.

Would prefer Verizon or AT&T

Any recommendations?
Hmm pretty tough criterea, I can't think of anything cheaper than what your paying at the moment.
Just curious why do you want postpaid?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline dk

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 30, 2018, 12:53:03 AM »
Hi I’m looking for a family plan 4-5 phones with Just talk and text (basic phones) that has reliable service. I currently have att but I’m paying like $160 a month seems like a very lot for basic phones. No data needed.
Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 30, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
Hmm pretty tough criterea, I can't think of anything cheaper than what your paying at the moment.
Just curious why do you want postpaid?

The reason I need a postpaid is bizarre... it's not phone related, but IRS related... I am a CPA and need to re-register my E-Services account with the IRS. In order for them to validate my identity, I need to enter a mobile number that is in my name. It can not be a landline, nor can it be a prepaid plan. If I don't have one they will need to send me a code in the mail which can take a few weeks. Since it is time sensitive I ended up with a Note-8, 5 GB data for 60/plan plus 40/device, plus 13 Insurance. Total bill will be approximately 126 after taxes. I even rushed to pick it up at their Soho store...

I can still return/change it for a few days, but I kinda fell in love with the Note and since I'm not that much techie, not sure I'll bother to change again.

Btw, the same issue applies to anyone who needs to get an online transcript from the IRS thru the "Get Transcript" tool on the IRS website.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 30, 2018, 01:23:48 PM »

The reason I need a postpaid is bizarre... it's not phone related, but IRS related... I am a CPA and need to re-register my E-Services account with the IRS. In order for them to validate my identity, I need to enter a mobile number that is in my name. It can not be a landline, nor can it be a prepaid plan. If I don't have one they will need to send me a code in the mail which can take a few weeks. Since it is time sensitive I ended up with a Note-8, 5 GB data for 60/plan plus 40/device, plus 13 Insurance. Total bill will be approximately 126 after taxes. I even rushed to pick it up at their Soho store...

I can still return/change it for a few days, but I kinda fell in love with the Note and since I'm not that much techie, not sure I'll bother to change again.

Btw, the same issue applies to anyone who needs to get an online transcript from the IRS thru the "Get Transcript" tool on the IRS website.
Is this the att shareflex plan?

Offline MasterAmex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 30, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »
looking for a data only plan for a sprint phone.
TIA

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 30, 2018, 09:23:45 PM »
Is this the att shareflex plan?

No, It's a Verizon wireless account. Not sure what the plan name is, but I got it from a representative on the phone. Initially, she only offered me 2,4 & 8 GB plans. When I said 8 is too much and 4 too little she offered the 5 GB/60 Month plan

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 30, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »
looking for a data only plan for a sprint phone.
TIA
Specifically a data only plan or can it be a regular plan that you just don't use the minutes and texts?
How much data do you need?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 30, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »
No, It's a Verizon wireless account. Not sure what the plan name is, but I got it from a representative on the phone. Initially, she only offered me 2,4 & 8 GB plans. When I said 8 is too much and 4 too little she offered the 5 GB/60 Month plan
I hear. Interesting.

Offline MasterAmex

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 31, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »
Specifically a data only plan or can it be a regular plan that you just don't use the minutes and texts?
How much data do you need?
rather without a phone service
need it for email and some light office work..

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 31, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »
rather without a phone service
need it for email and some light office work..
If you don't plan on using more than 1 GB I'd look into FreedomPop which offers free data. But I wouldn't consider that as a very reliable option if things go wrong.

There's tello.com which you can customize how much data you need. Plus you get unlimited 2g after you run out of regular data. So that might be a good option. (Tip: if you have a Visa/mastercard... giftcard you can set your billing address to anywhere in Idaho where Telecom taxes are the lowest, in my experience. I use an address in Pocatello, idaho)

Offline MasterAmex

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 31, 2018, 03:22:22 PM »
If you don't plan on using more than 1 GB I'd look into FreedomPop which offers free data. But I wouldn't consider that as a very reliable option if things go wrong.

There's tello.com which you can customize how much data you need. Plus you get unlimited 2g after you run out of regular data. So that might be a good option. (Tip: if you have a Visa/mastercard... giftcard you can set your billing address to anywhere in Idaho where Telecom taxes are the lowest, in my experience. I use an address in Pocatello, idaho)
Thanks for your help!
few questions,
1) is FreedomPop Service standard?
2) under which service does Tello work under, Can use with sprint phone?
3) Regarding Tello can take the cheapest plan and then use the 2G data?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 31, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »
Thanks for your help!
few questions,
1) is FreedomPop Service standard?
2) under which service does Tello work under, Can use with sprint phone?
3) Regarding Tello can take the cheapest plan and then use the 2G data?
In my experience with freedompop. If it works fine when it's set up, I didn't have any problems in the future. But there were times when it didn't work right away and then it was a telephone dance with customer support which can only give basic information. Anything else a little deeper, you're on your own.
And if you do go the FreedomPop way, make sure to set it up to avoid overages, and get friend referrals for bonus data.

Tello runs on sprint. It works with any Sprint phone. And yes you can get the cheapest option of data and use 2g speeds afterwards. If you're going to be emailing large files it might not be a good choice.

Offline incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 31, 2018, 11:57:21 PM »

I just used the "Get Transcript" tool about 2 weeks ago, I couldn't use my GV number but I was able to use my MetroPCS # which is a prepaid family plan in someone else's name.

Offline MasterAmex

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 01, 2018, 11:31:16 AM »
In my experience with freedompop. If it works fine when it's set up, I didn't have any problems in the future. But there were times when it didn't work right away and then it was a telephone dance with customer support which can only give basic information. Anything else a little deeper, you're on your own.
And if you do go the FreedomPop way, make sure to set it up to avoid overages, and get friend referrals for bonus data.

Tello runs on sprint. It works with any Sprint phone. And yes you can get the cheapest option of data and use 2g speeds afterwards. If you're going to be emailing large files it might not be a good choice.
Thanks,
Does freedompop work on sprint device or have to get a new phone?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 01, 2018, 12:04:15 PM »
Thanks,
Does freedompop work on sprint device or have to get a new phone?
I don't think you have to buy a phone. They have a bring your own device option https://www.freedompop.com/byod

It could be they charge an activation fee. I don't use them that much anymore, and I'm sure their policies have changed somewhat. So beware of how they try to make you add on paid services. Beware of the free trials and make sure to downgrade right away if you don't want it. It makes things more simple. And I think they made a new policy that there has to be $5 in your account in order to turn on data overage protection.
Make sure to set a limit of data on your phone as well.

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 01, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
I just used the "Get Transcript" tool about 2 weeks ago, I couldn't use my GV number but I was able to use my MetroPCS # which is a prepaid family plan in someone else's name.

Interesting. According to their notes, it will not work for prepaid, and I had issues with it in the past for a project fi account. I guess YMMV by carrier

Offline dogfighter422

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
I'm currently paying $130 per month 2 unlimited plans on Sprint. This includes payments on two iphones at around $30/ month total of phone payment.

Am I getting the best deal?

Offline yyonah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 14, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »
My daughter is coming to NY from Israel for two weeks and wants a SIM card. In the past I've found some kind of deal on eBay, but this time it slipped everyone's mind so I need to get it tomorrow. Where can I get a decent deal locally?

Offline nescafe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 14, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »
My daughter is coming to NY from Israel for two weeks and wants a SIM card. In the past I've found some kind of deal on eBay, but this time it slipped everyone's mind so I need to get it tomorrow. Where can I get a decent deal locally?
I got a prepaid sim in Brooklyn for $10 & $20/month unlimited talk/text

Offline yyonah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 15, 2018, 09:05:52 AM »
I got a prepaid sim in Brooklyn for $10 & $20/month unlimited talk/text
That's kind of pricey for a two week trip. Can I get an H2O card with first month included at a local cellphone store? Amazon has them in the $15-$16 range, but there are lots of negative reviews having to do with activation. I suspect most of the negative reviews come from people who didn't follow instructions to activate through the seller rather than directly.