A good list -
Link

Meat
Steakhouse/Fancy

Abigael's - Kof K-permanently closed
Address: 1407 Broadway #4, New York, NY 10018
Phone:(212) 575-1407
Not to be missed:
  • Smoked Brisket Eggroll (Texas style, with barbecue vinaigrette and a chipotle potato salad) - AJK   
    (Mine was served frozen with a side of bad attitude-Dan)
  • Popcorn Chicken (fried golden, tossed with herbs, lemon and cayenne drizzle) - AJK

Barnea Bistro
Review: mochjas

La Brochette - OU
Address: 340 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10016
Phone:(212) 972-2200
Not to be missed:
  • Short rib spring rolls
  • peking duck confit
Reviews: here and here

Le Marais - OU
Address: 150 W 46th St, New York, NY 10036
Phone:(212) 869-0900
Not to be missed:
  • Chili Marocaine (Spicy lamb chili, avocado relish) - AJK, itsyehuda
  • Pepper steak - AJK+ Dan (With 2 people get and split the fries and mashed potatoes as free sides which are both great as well)
  • Warm chocolate cake - Dan
  • Prime Rib for One -itsyehuda
  • Grilled Chicken Salad -youG
  • Beef Jerky -youG
  • La Surprise -moish
  • Peanut butter dome-shnoz

Mike's Bistro - OU
Address: 127 E 54th St, New York, NY 10022
Phone:(212) 799-3911
Not to be missed:
  • Homemade Gnocchi (duck & chicken confit, roasted portobello mushrooms, fresh thyme, duck jus, white truffle oil, chives) - AJK and Dan
  • Dumplings - Dan
  • Short Ribs - Dan, AJK, Dr Moose
  • Fries - Dan
  • Frozen passion fruit daiquiri - Dan
  • Sweet Yam Fritters- Joe4007, mochada
  • crispy veal sweetbreads- ushdadude

Reserve Cut = OU
Address: 40 Broad St, New York, NY 10004
Phone:(212) 747-0300
Not to be missed:
  • Smoked Short Rib Tacos - Joe4007, Sport, judahk88, AJK, and bubble347, @Yehuda, Redbull3
  • Stuffed Jalapeno with lamb and couscous - Mocha
  • Porcini Mushroom soup-Dan (and Shiframeir 1st...)
  • BIGEYE TUNA TARTAR -- Perfect raw tuna round tower mixed with mango and ginger plus guac on top. - Shiframeir
  • Ambiance
  • Lunch: Grilled Chicken Avocado Sandwich - @Yehuda
Review: @Yehuda

Wall St Grill
Not to be missed:
  • Tuna Ribbons
  • Corned Beef Flatbread
  • Thai Beef
  • Rib Chop Steak
  • Brownies & fruit jewels Desserts
  • Ambiance - Upper Floor in the Day light

Talias - Rabbi Avrohom Marmorstein
Address: 668 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10025
Phone:(212) 580-3770
Reviews: here

Wolf And Lamb - OK
Address: 10 E 48th St, New York, NY 10017
Phone:(212) 317-1950
Not to be missed:
  • Wolf and Lamb burger (Freshly Ground Ribeye, Arugula, Crispy Fried Shallots, Wild Mushroom)- AJK
  • Philly steak sandwich - AJK

UN Plaza Grill
Noi Due Carne

Burgers/Standard places

Amsterdam Burger Co. - OU CLOSED
Address: 654 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10025
Phone:(212) 362-0700
Not to be missed:
  • Mushroom & caramalized onion Burger - Dan, mochada
  • Breakfast Burger (with fried egg, bacon, potato w/ abc sauce) - AJK (top 3 burgers I've ever eaten),  Chaim'l
  • Yam Fritters (with hot sauce) - AJK (incredible)
  • Buffalo Wings (with ranch sauce) - Ayman, Dan, mochada, "these things are incredible" - @Yehuda's wife
  • Orange Jalapeno Lemonade - AJK, mochada
  • French Fries - @Yehuda, mochada
  • BBQ Pulled Beef Sandwich - Dan, @Yehuda
Pics from @Yehuda's dinner can be found here.

Deli Kasbah

Mr Broadway - OU
Address: 1372 Broadway, New York, NY 10018
Phone:(212) 921-2152
Not to be missed:
Hatzolah Roll - stbaum

Dairy

Abaita - OK

My Most Favorite Food

Noi Due - OK
Address: 143 W 69th St, New York, NY 10023
Phone:(212) 712-2222
Not to be missed:
  • Coffee Drinks - Dan
  • Mac & Cheese Balls!!! - Dan
  • Eggplant Parm - Dan
  • Gnocchi - Dan
  • Ravioli- Dan
  • Capri Panini- Dan

lox cafe real nice small cafe delicious culinary food/sandwiches
deviled eggs is a must must
[/list]

A"H
Prime Grill, Prime at the Bentley, Prime Butcher Baker, Service Station, Pizza da Solo, Cafe K, Va Bene, Noga,[/list]
« Last edited by yochai on January 15, 2023, 06:40:48 PM »

Author Topic: Manhattan Kosher Restaurants  (Read 1174725 times)

Offline dealfinder85

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Manhattan Kosher Restaurants
« Reply #2740 on: March 29, 2016, 03:56:14 PM »
Ahem ....

Hey there, so yeah ... I use DDF too, guys (although I'm not a frequent poster, I do value the content & community here, and have a bunch of my non-Jewish colleagues who are now huge fans of DD, btw).

So what "Hot Deals is my name" posted is correct:

1)  I am not a rav nor would I advise you to eat a specific hechsher you are not comfortable with. That's not what I do.

2)  Just because something is not up to your kashrut standards does not make it non-kosher. As with anything within Orthodoxy, there are varying opinions and levels. You might only hold by the strictest of kashrut agencies. That's fine. But that doesn't make the other organizations non-kosher, they're just not at your or your rav's standards. Despite what you think, I know a lot more than you think I do and can make informed decisions for myself (as well as having some background knowledge of having a spouse who spent time working for OU's kashrus division).  Amongst numerous things, there is a misnomer that restaurants open on Shabbat are automatically not kosher. It's much more complex than that, but, again, you should ask your rav if you are not sure yourself.

3)  I also hold my readers to a high regard. I believe everyone is capable of making an informed decision of whether they want to eat at a certain place or not OR they can very easily ask their rav. That is why I always try to list the kashrut of a restaurant, and also include whether it is Cholov Yisroel, Pas Yisroel, etc. if it is known, because I am sensitive to the fact that there are those that are more machmir or meykil than others. I am not the kashrut authority.

4)  If you do not value my content or feedback, that is fine. You are entitled not to like it. Plenty of others do. But I do recommend asking your rav if publicly embarrassing a fellow Jew is something he deems kosher.

Thank you again for the feedback. In the future, I hope that you can message me privately (I'm very each to reach) AND I'll make sure to label restaurants as either "traif" or "mehadrin min hamehadrin" so you won't ever have to ask any questions about kashrus again.

~Dani
Founder of YeahThatsKosher
ignore yankee123, hes completely wrong

Offline Yankee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: March 29, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »
I take back what I said. I happen to really like his/your site, and I agree it should be up to the reader to make the decision whether its up to his standards or not. I got a little excited about that Indian place he/you recently posted and after some further investigation i was told to not rely on it (bummer).

I appreciate your work yeathatskosher.  8)

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2742 on: March 29, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »
Ahem ....

Hey there, so yeah ... I use DDF too, guys (although I'm not a frequent poster, I do value the content & community here, and have a bunch of my non-Jewish colleagues who are now huge fans of DD, btw).

So what "Hot Deals is my name" posted is correct:

1)  I am not a rav nor would I advise you to eat a specific hechsher you are not comfortable with. That's not what I do.

2)  Just because something is not up to your kashrut standards does not make it non-kosher. As with anything within Orthodoxy, there are varying opinions and levels. You might only hold by the strictest of kashrut agencies. That's fine. But that doesn't make the other organizations non-kosher, they're just not at your or your rav's standards. Despite what you think, I know a lot more than you think I do and can make informed decisions for myself (as well as having some background knowledge of having a spouse who spent time working for OU's kashrus division).  Amongst numerous things, there is a misnomer that restaurants open on Shabbat are automatically not kosher. It's much more complex than that, but, again, you should ask your rav if you are not sure yourself.

3)  I also hold my readers to a high regard. I believe everyone is capable of making an informed decision of whether they want to eat at a certain place or not OR they can very easily ask their rav. That is why I always try to list the kashrut of a restaurant, and also include whether it is Cholov Yisroel, Pas Yisroel, etc. if it is known, because I am sensitive to the fact that there are those that are more machmir or meykil than others. I am not the kashrut authority.

4)  If you do not value my content or feedback, that is fine. You are entitled not to like it. Plenty of others do. But I do recommend asking your rav if publicly embarrassing a fellow Jew is something he deems kosher.

Thank you again for the feedback. In the future, I hope that you can message me privately (I'm very each to reach) AND I'll make sure to label restaurants as either "traif" or "mehadrin min hamehadrin" so you won't ever have to ask any questions about kashrus again.

~Dani
Founder of YeahThatsKosher
Dani I appreciate your website and find it helpful. It's obvious that everyone has different standards and everyone should always make sure a place is up to their standards before eating there. Keep up the good work!

Offline Dave A

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: March 29, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »
Dani I appreciate your website and find it helpful. It's obvious that everyone has different standards and everyone should always make sure a place is up to their standards before eating there. Keep up the good work!
+1  great site! 

Offline yeahthatskosher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
    • YeahThatsKosher.com
  • Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX MR, Chase UR (Sapphire, Ink, Freedom), Hertz, JetBlue True Blue, Delta SkyMiles, BA Avios, Alaska Air, Thank You
« Reply #2744 on: March 29, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »
I take back what I said. I happen to really like his/your site, and I agree it should be up to the reader to make the decision whether its up to his standards or not. I got a little excited about that Indian place he/you recently posted and after some further investigation i was told to not rely on it (bummer).

I appreciate your work yeathatskosher.  8)

Thanks.

Most veggie Indian places do not bother with the more machmir hechsherim. If you want Indian, the Glatt Indian place in Great Neck is the only one left in the NYC area: http://yeahthatskosher.com/2016/02/mumbai-grill-glatt-kosher-indian-great-neck-ny/
~Dani Klein
Passions: Kosher / Travel
Founder of YeahThatsKosher.com

Offline yeahthatskosher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
    • YeahThatsKosher.com
  • Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX MR, Chase UR (Sapphire, Ink, Freedom), Hertz, JetBlue True Blue, Delta SkyMiles, BA Avios, Alaska Air, Thank You
« Reply #2745 on: March 29, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »
+1  great site! 

Thanks guys. Appreciated.
~Dani Klein

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: March 30, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »
Thanks guys. Appreciated.

Hi Dani,
so it's actually dd that introduced me to your site in the first place. it was last year before Pesach where you had all the kfp restaurants open listed. i now follow you on Snapchat too! looked like you guys had a great time last night at W&L #jealous  ;)

thanks for all your site!
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline yeahthatskosher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
    • YeahThatsKosher.com
« Reply #2747 on: April 01, 2016, 12:40:28 AM »
Hi Dani,
so it's actually dd that introduced me to your site in the first place. it was last year before Pesach where you had all the kfp restaurants open listed. i now follow you on Snapchat too! looked like you guys had a great time last night at W&L #jealous  ;)

thanks for all your site!

Thanks man. We definitely enjoyed W&L the other night. The lamb & shishito peppers were really good together.

Still playing around on Snapchat. I definitely post way more frequently to Instagram though.

KFP restaurant list coming soon.
~Dani Klein

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: April 03, 2016, 12:52:06 PM »
Mike's tonight: recommendations? Gnocchi isn't our thing. Ribs sound good.  Any other suggestions?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2749 on: April 03, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »
Soup, dumplings, passion fruit frozen daiquiri.
But you really should try the gnocchi. Heaven.

Beware that portions run small and prices run large.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: April 03, 2016, 01:20:31 PM »
Soup, dumplings, passion fruit frozen daiquiri.
But you really should try the gnocchi. Heaven.

Beware that portions run small and prices run large.
ie Whatever's in the wiki? :P

Well, we'd like to try it at least once, so we'll deal with the portions/prices and decide if we like it enough to go back. Will consider the price of the gnocchi and sweetbreads before deciding to try them. Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2751 on: April 03, 2016, 03:01:06 PM »
Point is, don't just order a entree and expect to get full off of it. As long as you go into it knowing that their portions are small and prices are high then you'll be fine.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: April 03, 2016, 03:20:09 PM »
Mike's tonight: recommendations? Gnocchi isn't our thing. Ribs sound good.  Any other suggestions?
Crescent cut. It's not on the menu and they don't always have it.

Offline JayR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: April 03, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »

Pointing out that it's less than 12oz IIRC.
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: April 03, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »
Had a very nice time, the atmosphere was great, and the service was outstanding, but overall we like Le Marais better and wouldn't go back here.

We decided to skip on appetizers. I got the short ribs and DW got the sirloin. Both were good but nothing that made us go wow. As forewarned, portions were small while price was high. We opted to skip on apps and go for desserts instead. I had the pudding, DW the apple pie, and we split a frozen strawberry daiquiri (which wasn't on the menu btw). Desserts were okay (again nothing special), but the drink was great. The drink was also the only thing that came in a nice sized portion. lol

We left full by the end, but definitely needed the desserts to do the trick (or apps would have done it too). Their portions indicate that they want you to get an app as well, but the prices don't. Again, it was an enjoyable experience, but we paid a good $100 more than we do at Le Marais, and it wasn't as much food or as good food. My 2 cents. Thanks everyone for their suggestions!

Saw this afterwards. It actually was on the menu and said limited availability.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: April 03, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
Poor choice going for desserts over apps.

Everyone raves about their soup and apps, nobody's ever gone to Mike's for dessert. Why did you even ask beforehand?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: April 03, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »
Poor choice going for desserts over apps.

Everyone raves about their soup and apps, nobody's ever gone to Mike's for dessert. Why did you even ask beforehand?
I wanted to hear what the suggestions were. When they were foods we don't like (gnocchi, sweetbreads) and when DW likes cakes and pastries, we were going to go with dessert over apps. L'maissa it doesn't matter. I don't go to a restaurant for apps either. The main courses including their signature ribs didn't compare to Le Marais, which isn't even known for its taste.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: April 03, 2016, 08:31:58 PM »
I've never heard someone say that they like Le Marais over Mike's before, especially recently because Le Marais just isn't what it used to be...

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: April 03, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
I've never heard someone say that they like Le Marais over Mike's before, especially recently because Le Marais just isn't what it used to be...
There's always a first.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: April 03, 2016, 08:40:43 PM »
There's always a first.
True dat.  :)

Next time you gotta try Reserve Cut.