Topic Wiki

Please post your questions in the correct thread. This thread, as the title clearly states, is for general Hawaii questions only.

If you have any questions that pertains to a particular island, post it in the appropriate island thread. See below for links to all island threads.

You'd get far better answers there, and chances are that your issue was already discussed at length too.

DansMeals: Hawaii For The Kosher Traveler:
-Part 1: General Info And The Island Of Oahu
-Part 2: The Big Island of Hawaii
-Part 3: Maui
-Part 4: Kauai

Related DD Posts:
-Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Chart and Everything You Need to Know About the Hawaiian Islands (2015)
-Trip Notes: Maui No Ka ‘Oi (2014)
-Trip Notes Kauai: Heaven On Earth (2014)
-The Hawaiian Islands. (2011)
-Traveling To Hawaii…With A 5 Month Old (2011)
-View From The Room (2011)
-Pearl Harbor…70 Years (2011)
-Shaloha! (2011)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Kauai (2009)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Oahu (2009)
-Which Miles To Use To Fly To Hawaii?

Related DDF Destination Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread
-Lanai, Molokai, and Niihau, Hawaii Master Thread

Background on Hawaiian Islands
You've probably heard of Honolulu. That's the state capital and is located on island of Oahu, the main island with the largest airport. Honolulu hosts the famous Waikiki Beach and if you look at pictures, it looks like Miami. One long beach with a strip of hotels. Most DDFers say to go to one of the other 3 main islands which are less touristy and the hotels are more spread out. In no particular order, the other islands are Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (yes, that's the name of one of the islands. It's also known as The Big Island - confusing because Big Island sounds like it's the "Main Island", but Oahu is the main island). Direct flights from NYC only go to HNL. You can get direct flights from other cities (LAX, SFO, OAK, SJC, SAN, DEN, DFW, PHX, SEA, ORD as examples) to the other islands. Hawaii is amazing - have fun! The main airport codes are:
Oahu: HNL
Maui: OGG
Kauai: LIH
The Big Island: KOA, ITO (2 airports on 2 different sides of the island)

Interisland flights:
Hawaiian is the main interisland carrier and flies HNL, LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO. They have countless flights each day and are nearly always on time - often even early. Never book a tight connection hoping that the interisland flight will be delayed.

Go and Island Air fly from HNL. Mokulele flies from HNL and KOA, as well as to Kapalua (JHM), Hana (HNM), Molokai (MKK), Lanai (LNY), and Waimea-Kohala (MUE) on the Big Island. Hawaiian's subsidiary Ohana flies HNL to MKK and LNY.

You can also use 5k AA, 6k UA or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. You can use 15k DL pesos for a RT interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.
HA has several tiers, similar to DL, the lowest tier is the only one that's available using partner miles, but with HA miles you can purchase tickets that are otherwise unavailable for additional miles.

@Yehuda's thoughts on deciding between Kauai and Maui:
Here's a list of the main activities on both islands. Decide what interests you, and then you'll know where to go.

Kauai has what many say to be one of the best hikes in the world - Kalalau Trail. Most people will only do the first part, but it's still very highly regarded. The views atop Waimea Canyon are breathtaking, yet Maui also has breathtaking views at Haleakala. Kauai also has some supposedly awesome off-roading on Miloli'i Ridge Road. Sunset at the 12-mile long Polihale Beach is supposed to be quite the sunset. A helicopter tour of Kauai is generally said to be much better than a heli tour of Maui. If the water is calm, Queen's Bath, which is a natural pool in the ocean you can swim in that's protected from the ocean's force by hardened lava, is SICK, but Maui has the same thing by the Olivine Pools. Kayaking down the Wailua River to "Secret Falls" is supposed to be great as well. Of course, the luxurious, tropical amazingness of the Grand Hyatt Kauai is a huge boost for Kauai, except for its beach, but the great Po'ipu Beach is 5 minutes away.

Maui has the Road to Hana, which is an incredible drive through what feels like a rainforest with tons of opportunities to take small hikes to waterfalls and pools. It's just wow wow wow. Sunrise at the top Haleakala is not to be missed. A boat trip to snorkel by Molokini Crater offers what is supposedly some of the best snorkeling visibility in the world. Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show is supposed to be a great night out. The hotels are also magical, perhaps to a lesser degree than GHK, but the beaches by the main hotels are a big plus over GHK's beach. EDIT: The Grand Wailea in Maui is a gorgeous hotel that rivals the GHK (and its lazy river actually moves as opposed to GHK's ). Add in the fact that its beach (Wailea Beach) is swimmable and doesn't require the albeit short drive to Po'ipu Beach that the GHK does, I'm not sure that the GHK should be a reason enough to tip the scales in favor of Kauai over Maui anymore.

So, pick the types of activities you'd want to do and then you'll have your island. I personally liked Maui better mostly because of the Road to Hana, but to be fair, I did miss out on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai due to weather.
« Last edited by jj1000 on December 25, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Author Topic: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?  (Read 490374 times)

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #1640 on: November 11, 2015, 07:26:48 AM »

You're learning young warthog. Let's see if you'll also plan an itinerary before you go.  ::) (No chance!)

It would be criminal not to plan at least some itin before going!

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 11, 2015, 09:18:25 AM »
Im not even searching for the return really yet. I'm fine being being stranded there for life. I'm searching for either of 3  Sundays, I have not been checking religiously, I have only checked for two days so far but checked almost the whole year on all the routes to get a feel for what and when opens up.  I'm sure I will find, I'll just leave it till a week or two before. i was just hoping to find availability now and then leave everything else till much closer, I just can't remember the last time i knew 10 months in advance where I was headed. (I feel like @yehuda now   )
Flexibility is key. I think i booked my flights there a week out and only booked my return once in HI. Our main concern was getting a direct J flight to HNL and everything else was fine in Y and stopping through LAX. Worked out for us and should hopefully work out the same for people with flexibility.

You can always to Caribbean or FL if nothing opens up.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 11, 2015, 09:50:12 AM »

Flexibility is key. I think i booked my flights there a week out and only booked my return once in HI. Our main concern was getting a direct J flight to HNL and everything else was fine in Y and stopping through LAX. Worked out for us and should hopefully work out the same for people with flexibility.

You can always to Caribbean or FL if nothing opens up.

When I'm not being there for shabbos and flying halfway across the world there is only so much I can be flexible with. I'm pretty much tied down to either or 3 Sundays and hopefully early in the day. I'm probably gonna end up waiting till the week or two before, I really want that direct lie-flat flight. The way back I'm also open to stopovers.
 I'm actually thinking about the Caribbean instead, like St Lucia. May not be Hawaii but it can be pretty darn close as well as a fraction of the cost and logistics

Offline 3yummyboys

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 11, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »

I'm actually thinking about the Caribbean instead, like St Lucia. May not be Hawaii but it can be PRETTY DARN CLOSE  as well as a fraction of the cost and logistics

blasphemy!

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 11, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »

When I'm not being there for shabbos and flying halfway across the world there is only so much I can be flexible with. I'm pretty much tied down to either or 3 Sundays and hopefully early in the day. I'm probably gonna end up waiting till the week or two before, I really want that direct lie-flat flight. The way back I'm also open to stopovers.
 I'm actually thinking about the Caribbean instead, like St Lucia. May not be Hawaii but it can be pretty darn close as well as a fraction of the cost and logistics

Head over to the Caribbean master thread for some good recommendations of islands. I personally didn't find SLU appealing, even the active volcano turned out to be a dud. You won't find anything like a road to Hana or Na Pali, waters/surf very calm, and a high mountain there is one that is about 3000 feet. Definitely not Hawaii but is better in some categories.

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 26, 2015, 12:08:00 AM »
Read the wiki but just wanted to confirm - if I book interisland flights using AA or UA points, there's no way for me to get free checked bags unless I have status with Hawaiian, correct?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1646 on: November 26, 2015, 12:20:42 AM »
Read the wiki but just wanted to confirm - if I book interisland flights using AA or UA points, there's no way for me to get free checked bags unless I have status with Hawaiian, correct?

If it's booked under one PNR with the main flights they will interline, I believe.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1647 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:26 AM »
If it's booked under one PNR with the main flights they will interline, I believe.
Yup.
And AA/UA should check through if you have status on them. YMMV.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:29 AM »
Oh. So meaning, if I book my main flight from EWR-HNL with UA in J (which gives me free bags) and book the interislands on the same res, I'll get free bags the whole way through? (I don't have a UA card for free bags.)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1649 on: November 26, 2015, 12:29:50 AM »
Oh. So meaning, if I book my main flight from EWR-HNL with UA in J (which gives me free bags) and book the interislands on the same res, I'll get free bags the whole way through? (I don't have a UA card for free bags.)
Yes, assuming you don't get a dumb EWR rep.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #1650 on: November 26, 2015, 12:30:40 AM »
Yup.
And AA/UA should check through if you have status on them. YMMV.
So if I want free bags, I have to book the interisland flights with the same airline that I booked the flight into HNL with, right? Or I can book through DD corporate code and email JJ .

ETA: Just saw your last response. Thanks!! Now just gotta book. Hoping my daughter gets the same floor lie-flat experience that Rafi had .

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 26, 2015, 12:39:57 AM »
Yes, assuming you don't get a dumb EWR rep they don't decide to send your bags to ORD.
FTTY
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline CS91

• View Profile

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 26, 2015, 11:25:39 AM »

In order to have my main flight into HNL and the interisland flights on the same PNR, do I have to book them at the same time, or can I book my flight into HNL today and book the interisland ones at a later date and then have them merged into one PNR? Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but as of now I plan on book two one ways with UA (through SQ on outbound because there is J availability, and then with UA directly on return with Plan B).

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 26, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
In order to have my main flight into HNL and the interisland flights on the same PNR, do I have to book them at the same time, or can I book my flight into HNL today and book the interisland ones at a later date and then have them merged into one PNR? Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but as of now I plan on book two one ways with UA (through SQ on outbound because there is J availability, and then with UA directly on return with Plan B).
If you book EWR-HNL with SQ miles, you won't be able to get the interisland onto the same PNR. You need to book everything with UA miles.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: November 26, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
No such thing as merging PNRs.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 26, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »
If you book EWR-HNL with SQ miles, you won't be able to get the interisland onto the same PNR. You need to book everything with UA miles.
So won't work if I book EWR-HNL with SQ as separate, and then do HNL-OGG-LIH-HNL-EWR with UA under one PNR? If tso, what if I book the interislands with UA as its own itinerary (HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL using OGG as free stopover), will I only have to pay for bags twice as opposed to 3 times because OGG is officially a stopover? Thanks everyone!

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 26, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
When are you going?

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 26, 2015, 11:56:59 AM »
So won't work if I book EWR-HNL with SQ as separate, and then do HNL-OGG-LIH-HNL-EWR with UA under one PNR? If tso, what if I book the interislands with UA as its own itinerary (HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL using OGG as free stopover), will I only have to pay for bags twice as opposed to 3 times because OGG is officially a stopover? Thanks everyone!
If your first scenario, the bags from EWR will need to be picked up in HNL. SQ booking and UA booking cannot be combined unless you have UA status.
In your second scenario, I imagine you'll pay for bags from HNL-OGG since you're picking up the bags then and pay again LIH-HNL-EWR. For a total of 2 payments.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: November 26, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »