Topic Wiki

Please post your questions in the correct thread. This thread, as the title clearly states, is for general Hawaii questions only.

If you have any questions that pertains to a particular island, post it in the appropriate island thread. See below for links to all island threads.

You'd get far better answers there, and chances are that your issue was already discussed at length too.

DansMeals: Hawaii For The Kosher Traveler:
-Part 1: General Info And The Island Of Oahu
-Part 2: The Big Island of Hawaii
-Part 3: Maui
-Part 4: Kauai

Related DD Posts:
-Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Chart and Everything You Need to Know About the Hawaiian Islands (2015)
-Trip Notes: Maui No Ka ‘Oi (2014)
-Trip Notes Kauai: Heaven On Earth (2014)
-The Hawaiian Islands. (2011)
-Traveling To Hawaii…With A 5 Month Old (2011)
-View From The Room (2011)
-Pearl Harbor…70 Years (2011)
-Shaloha! (2011)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Kauai (2009)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Oahu (2009)
-Which Miles To Use To Fly To Hawaii?

Related DDF Destination Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread
-Lanai, Molokai, and Niihau, Hawaii Master Thread

Background on Hawaiian Islands
You've probably heard of Honolulu. That's the state capital and is located on island of Oahu, the main island with the largest airport. Honolulu hosts the famous Waikiki Beach and if you look at pictures, it looks like Miami. One long beach with a strip of hotels. Most DDFers say to go to one of the other 3 main islands which are less touristy and the hotels are more spread out. In no particular order, the other islands are Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (yes, that's the name of one of the islands. It's also known as The Big Island - confusing because Big Island sounds like it's the "Main Island", but Oahu is the main island). Direct flights from NYC only go to HNL. You can get direct flights from other cities (LAX, SFO, OAK, SJC, SAN, DEN, DFW, PHX, SEA, ORD as examples) to the other islands. Hawaii is amazing - have fun! The main airport codes are:
Oahu: HNL
Maui: OGG
Kauai: LIH
The Big Island: KOA, ITO (2 airports on 2 different sides of the island)

Interisland flights:
Hawaiian is the main interisland carrier and flies HNL, LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO. They have countless flights each day and are nearly always on time - often even early. Never book a tight connection hoping that the interisland flight will be delayed.

Go and Island Air fly from HNL. Mokulele flies from HNL and KOA, as well as to Kapalua (JHM), Hana (HNM), Molokai (MKK), Lanai (LNY), and Waimea-Kohala (MUE) on the Big Island. Hawaiian's subsidiary Ohana flies HNL to MKK and LNY.

You can also use 5k AA, 6k UA or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. You can use 15k DL pesos for a RT interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.
HA has several tiers, similar to DL, the lowest tier is the only one that's available using partner miles, but with HA miles you can purchase tickets that are otherwise unavailable for additional miles.

@Yehuda's thoughts on deciding between Kauai and Maui:
Here's a list of the main activities on both islands. Decide what interests you, and then you'll know where to go.

Kauai has what many say to be one of the best hikes in the world - Kalalau Trail. Most people will only do the first part, but it's still very highly regarded. The views atop Waimea Canyon are breathtaking, yet Maui also has breathtaking views at Haleakala. Kauai also has some supposedly awesome off-roading on Miloli'i Ridge Road. Sunset at the 12-mile long Polihale Beach is supposed to be quite the sunset. A helicopter tour of Kauai is generally said to be much better than a heli tour of Maui. If the water is calm, Queen's Bath, which is a natural pool in the ocean you can swim in that's protected from the ocean's force by hardened lava, is SICK, but Maui has the same thing by the Olivine Pools. Kayaking down the Wailua River to "Secret Falls" is supposed to be great as well. Of course, the luxurious, tropical amazingness of the Grand Hyatt Kauai is a huge boost for Kauai, except for its beach, but the great Po'ipu Beach is 5 minutes away.

Maui has the Road to Hana, which is an incredible drive through what feels like a rainforest with tons of opportunities to take small hikes to waterfalls and pools. It's just wow wow wow. Sunrise at the top Haleakala is not to be missed. A boat trip to snorkel by Molokini Crater offers what is supposedly some of the best snorkeling visibility in the world. Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show is supposed to be a great night out. The hotels are also magical, perhaps to a lesser degree than GHK, but the beaches by the main hotels are a big plus over GHK's beach. EDIT: The Grand Wailea in Maui is a gorgeous hotel that rivals the GHK (and its lazy river actually moves as opposed to GHK's ). Add in the fact that its beach (Wailea Beach) is swimmable and doesn't require the albeit short drive to Po'ipu Beach that the GHK does, I'm not sure that the GHK should be a reason enough to tip the scales in favor of Kauai over Maui anymore.

So, pick the types of activities you'd want to do and then you'll have your island. I personally liked Maui better mostly because of the Road to Hana, but to be fair, I did miss out on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai due to weather.
« Last edited by jj1000 on December 25, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Author Topic: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?  (Read 489660 times)

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #1980 on: March 03, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »
Looking to go to OGG and LIH in August. As I am trying to figure out the itinerary, I was wondering which place would be better to stay over shabbos. In LIH I would stay at either the GH or the St Regis. In OGG would be at the Andaz.

Pros for GH: Sunny, walkable to Poipu.
Pros for st regis: close to chabad, will be booked on a SPG platinum elite account (guest of honor) so shoould hopefully will have suite which will be nice for shabbos. Cons: can be rainy
Pros for Andaz: Nice boardwalk/beach stroll in front of Hotel

Anything that Im missing?
Doesn't sound like many pros for Maui.

What part of your trip is Shabbos--beginning, middle, end?

How many days will you be in Hawaii?

Are you planning on mostly relaxation or lots of activities?

All of these factor into which island to stay on for Shabbos.

Have you considered Oahu by Chabad?
44/50, 46/63

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: March 03, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »
I have Chase points, so either by transferring them into hyatt points or through the portal. SPG will be thorough points as well
If you plan on using hyatt points, most likely you can forget about the Andaz

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1982 on: March 03, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »
Why is a GH Pro that it's walkable to Poipu?

It's actually its biggest con. It's over a mile from the nearest good beach (Poipu beach).
The SRP is located on a good beach and has butler services at the beach.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shua

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 03, 2017, 09:16:51 AM »
Doesn't sound like many pros for Maui.

What part of your trip is Shabbos--beginning, middle, end?

How many days will you be in Hawaii?

Are you planning on mostly relaxation or lots of activities?

All of these factor into which island to stay on for Shabbos.

Have you considered Oahu by Chabad?

Would like to go from Sunday to Thursday in Maui and then Thursday to Tuesday in Kauai.

Going with just the DW so want to do half relaxation, half adventure.

Very tentative schedule

Sunday travel to OGG
Monday pool, beach, snorkeling
Tuesday RTH
Wednesday Sunrise/western Maui
Thursday Relax/flight to LIH
Friday kalalau trail
Shabbos
Sunday Helicopter/ kayak to secret falls
Monday relax/Poipu Beach/sunset
Tuesday back to NYC

Based on this it would be better to go to St Regis, but I can obviously change activities around. (Do kalalau trail Monday and Poipu Beach Friday and stay at the GH for shabbos)

Problem with shabbos in Oahu is that it wastes Friday that I could be doing things

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 03, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »

It's actually its biggest con. It's over a mile from the nearest good beach (Poipu beach).
The SRP is located on a good beach and has butler services at the beach.

So that definitely leans towards SRP. Is it very rainy in the north during the summer? Can't get a straight answer online

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1985 on: March 03, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »
Is it very rainy in the north during the summer? Can't get a straight answer online
There's a comparison in the Kauai revealed book. At some point I scanned it and uploaded it on DDF.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 03, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
If you plan on using hyatt points, most likely you can forget about the Andaz

Is there very little availability with Hyatt points at the andaz? I saw online that they didn't have my days. I can book through chase portal/CSR which comes out to around 30k a night.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 05, 2017, 08:03:09 AM »
Is there very little availability with Hyatt points at the andaz? I saw online that they didn't have my days. I can book through chase portal/CSR which comes out to around 30k a night.
Yes, their rooms get booked up fast.

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 05, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »

You really enjoyed Poipu? I found it overcrowded and underwhelming in terms of snorkeling. Its nice to have another beach thats a 2 min drive away but otherwise I found it meh.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 05, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
You really enjoyed Poipu? I found it overcrowded and underwhelming in terms of snorkeling. Its nice to have another beach thats a 2 min drive away but otherwise I found it meh.

I liked that it was protected and had completely calm water

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 05, 2017, 11:07:35 AM »
Would like to go from Sunday to Thursday in Maui and then Thursday to Tuesday in Kauai.

Going with just the DW so want to do half relaxation, half adventure.

Very tentative schedule

Sunday travel to OGG
Monday pool, beach, snorkeling
Tuesday RTH
Wednesday Sunrise/western Maui
Thursday Relax/flight to LIH
Friday kalalau trail
Shabbos
Sunday Helicopter/ kayak to secret falls
Monday relax/Poipu Beach/sunset
Tuesday back to NYC

Based on this it would be better to go to St Regis, but I can obviously change activities around. (Do kalalau trail Monday and Poipu Beach Friday and stay at the GH for shabbos)

Problem with shabbos in Oahu is that it wastes Friday that I could be doing things
Either option sounds OK, assuming you don't mean the complete Kalalau trail.

Just want to throw out another option.  Fly to HNL Thursday, Friday at Pearl Harbor (IMO, it's not to be missed), Shabbos with Chabad.  Sunday, first flight to Lihue, helicopter, kayak.  Monday, Kalalau (not the whole thing), Poipu, etc.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 05, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »

Just want to throw out another option.  Fly to HNL Thursday, Friday at Pearl Harbor (IMO, it's not to be missed), Shabbos with Chabad.  Sunday, first flight to Lihue, helicopter, kayak.  Monday, Kalalau (not the whole thing), Poipu, etc.
I think he'd be crazy to do that without tacking a day or two on at the end
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 05, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »

I thought about that but as Ergel said that would mean that I have to add on extra days at the end. What I might do is take an early flight Tuesday morning out of LIH and then have 5-6 hours stop over in HNL to do pearl harbor (if thats enough time).

Regarding the kalalau trail, at most I would be going to the falls. From what Ive seen on the forum/online it should be able to be done on a friday if I start early enough.

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 05, 2017, 01:16:45 PM »
I think he'd be crazy to do that without tacking a day or two on at the end
I disagree.  He said he didn't want to waste Friday when he could be doing something, yet Monday is wide open.  Helicopter is like an hour, by airport.  So sunday is essentially the same, and Monday, Kalalau is what, half day if not doing whole thing?  Plenty of time for Poipu.  Personally, I'd even add a Na Pali boat tour to Monday, too, move Poipu to Sunday.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 05, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »
I disagree.  He said he didn't want to waste Friday when he could be doing something, yet Monday is wide open.  Helicopter is like an hour, by airport.  So sunday is essentially the same, and Monday, Kalalau is what, half day if not doing whole thing?  Plenty of time for Poipu.  Personally, I'd even add a Na Pali boat tour to Monday, too, move Poipu to Sunday.

While I want to do a lot of activites, the DW wants to relax a bit. Thats why Im taking it easy Sun/Monday. Also Just found out that I cant do Kayaking on Sunday. So will prob still do Helicoptor tour on Sunday morning (I dont want to leave the helicopter to monday because in case the weather forces it to be cancelled we will miss it as we will be leaving tuesday) with Waimea Canyon and sunset at polihale. Then kayaking monday morning and poipu beach/snorkeling/relaxing. Tuesday back to NYC

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: March 05, 2017, 10:48:56 PM »
While I want to do a lot of activites, the DW wants to relax a bit. Thats why Im taking it easy Sun/Monday. Also Just found out that I cant do Kayaking on Sunday. So will prob still do Helicoptor tour on Sunday morning (I dont want to leave the helicopter to monday because in case the weather forces it to be cancelled we will miss it as we will be leaving tuesday) with Waimea Canyon and sunset at polihale. Then kayaking monday morning and poipu beach/snorkeling/relaxing. Tuesday back to NYC
Best to drive back from Polihale after sunset with a high clearance vehicle.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Shua

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: March 06, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »
Best to drive back from Polihale after sunset with a high clearance vehicle.

Was thinking of renting a convertible. Better to rent a 4WD?

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: March 06, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
Was thinking of renting a convertible. Better to rent a 4WD?
If you're planning on offroading like doing the Milloli Ridge road or going to Polihale beach then go for a Wrangler 4WD otherwise stick to a convertible

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 06, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
If you're planning on offroading like doing the Milloli Ridge road or going to Polihale beach then go for a Wrangler 4WD otherwise stick to a convertible

Don't make the same mistake I did and get AWD

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 06, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »
Don't make the same mistake I did and get AWD
LOL! that's exactly why I specified the wrangler