Topic Wiki

Please post your questions in the correct thread. This thread, as the title clearly states, is for general Hawaii questions only.

If you have any questions that pertains to a particular island, post it in the appropriate island thread. See below for links to all island threads.

You'd get far better answers there, and chances are that your issue was already discussed at length too.

DansMeals: Hawaii For The Kosher Traveler:
-Part 1: General Info And The Island Of Oahu
-Part 2: The Big Island of Hawaii
-Part 3: Maui
-Part 4: Kauai

Related DD Posts:
-Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Chart and Everything You Need to Know About the Hawaiian Islands (2015)
-Trip Notes: Maui No Ka ‘Oi (2014)
-Trip Notes Kauai: Heaven On Earth (2014)
-The Hawaiian Islands. (2011)
-Traveling To Hawaii…With A 5 Month Old (2011)
-View From The Room (2011)
-Pearl Harbor…70 Years (2011)
-Shaloha! (2011)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Kauai (2009)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Oahu (2009)
-Which Miles To Use To Fly To Hawaii?

Related DDF Destination Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread
-Lanai, Molokai, and Niihau, Hawaii Master Thread

Background on Hawaiian Islands
You've probably heard of Honolulu. That's the state capital and is located on island of Oahu, the main island with the largest airport. Honolulu hosts the famous Waikiki Beach and if you look at pictures, it looks like Miami. One long beach with a strip of hotels. Most DDFers say to go to one of the other 3 main islands which are less touristy and the hotels are more spread out. In no particular order, the other islands are Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (yes, that's the name of one of the islands. It's also known as The Big Island - confusing because Big Island sounds like it's the "Main Island", but Oahu is the main island). Direct flights from NYC only go to HNL. You can get direct flights from other cities (LAX, SFO, OAK, SJC, SAN, DEN, DFW, PHX, SEA, ORD as examples) to the other islands. Hawaii is amazing - have fun! The main airport codes are:
Oahu: HNL
Maui: OGG
Kauai: LIH
The Big Island: KOA, ITO (2 airports on 2 different sides of the island)

Interisland flights:
Hawaiian is the main interisland carrier and flies HNL, LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO. They have countless flights each day and are nearly always on time - often even early. Never book a tight connection hoping that the interisland flight will be delayed.

Go and Island Air fly from HNL. Mokulele flies from HNL and KOA, as well as to Kapalua (JHM), Hana (HNM), Molokai (MKK), Lanai (LNY), and Waimea-Kohala (MUE) on the Big Island. Hawaiian's subsidiary Ohana flies HNL to MKK and LNY.

You can also use 5k AA, 6k UA or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. You can use 15k DL pesos for a RT interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.
HA has several tiers, similar to DL, the lowest tier is the only one that's available using partner miles, but with HA miles you can purchase tickets that are otherwise unavailable for additional miles.

@Yehuda's thoughts on deciding between Kauai and Maui:
Here's a list of the main activities on both islands. Decide what interests you, and then you'll know where to go.

Kauai has what many say to be one of the best hikes in the world - Kalalau Trail. Most people will only do the first part, but it's still very highly regarded. The views atop Waimea Canyon are breathtaking, yet Maui also has breathtaking views at Haleakala. Kauai also has some supposedly awesome off-roading on Miloli'i Ridge Road. Sunset at the 12-mile long Polihale Beach is supposed to be quite the sunset. A helicopter tour of Kauai is generally said to be much better than a heli tour of Maui. If the water is calm, Queen's Bath, which is a natural pool in the ocean you can swim in that's protected from the ocean's force by hardened lava, is SICK, but Maui has the same thing by the Olivine Pools. Kayaking down the Wailua River to "Secret Falls" is supposed to be great as well. Of course, the luxurious, tropical amazingness of the Grand Hyatt Kauai is a huge boost for Kauai, except for its beach, but the great Po'ipu Beach is 5 minutes away.

Maui has the Road to Hana, which is an incredible drive through what feels like a rainforest with tons of opportunities to take small hikes to waterfalls and pools. It's just wow wow wow. Sunrise at the top Haleakala is not to be missed. A boat trip to snorkel by Molokini Crater offers what is supposedly some of the best snorkeling visibility in the world. Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show is supposed to be a great night out. The hotels are also magical, perhaps to a lesser degree than GHK, but the beaches by the main hotels are a big plus over GHK's beach. EDIT: The Grand Wailea in Maui is a gorgeous hotel that rivals the GHK (and its lazy river actually moves as opposed to GHK's ). Add in the fact that its beach (Wailea Beach) is swimmable and doesn't require the albeit short drive to Po'ipu Beach that the GHK does, I'm not sure that the GHK should be a reason enough to tip the scales in favor of Kauai over Maui anymore.

So, pick the types of activities you'd want to do and then you'll have your island. I personally liked Maui better mostly because of the Road to Hana, but to be fair, I did miss out on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai due to weather.
« Last edited by jj1000 on December 25, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Author Topic: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?  (Read 490300 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #1500 on: September 03, 2015, 12:43:57 PM »
My wife and I are enamored by Asia and have had a great time in every place we have gone so far. And as Dan mentioned, F to Europe is way too much of a tease. Unless you are continuing on somewhere else in F out of Europe, you will be left wanting much more.
I don't even know what not into Asia would possibly mean if you haven't been there.

F from NYC to Europe is nothing but a tease. And to Israel you'd have been better off with J nonstop.
Honestly, just looking at everyone's TRs. Every time someone writes a TR about Asia - Hong Kong, Thailand, Japan, China, Singapore - I get less and less interested in going. First off, the pictures always show cloudy, gray skies. Literally in everyone's TRs. Secondly, the activities often seem to be "city" things - markets, cable car to see views of the city. When they're not city things, they're things like temples, which don't really interest us besides snapping a picture. Yes, I know there are activities like Mt. Fuji and maybe some beaches in Bali, but overall the nicest things I got out of people's TRs to Asia are the flights and hotels.

While Europe is also just "city" things, I enjoyed it immensely because (and I know I'll get ripped for this) it's history I am more familiar with and, therefore, enjoyed seeing in person. While a certain market in China might be the most famous electronics market in the world, it just doesn't seem too attractive to me. The TRs just haven't done it for me the same way Europe and Hawaii TRs have.

Offline mechayamom

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: September 03, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »
Inter Island flights from LIH to ITO or KOA. (thru HNL)

Some flights have 20 minutes in between  others have more.

The flight numbers are different, do they change planes between?
Trying to figure out how much time I need without missing connection

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: September 03, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
Honestly, just looking at everyone's TRs. Every time someone writes a TR about Asia - Hong Kong, Thailand, Japan, China, Singapore - I get less and less interested in going. First off, the pictures always show cloudy, gray skies. Literally in everyone's TRs. Secondly, the activities often seem to be "city" things - markets, cable car to see views of the city. When they're not city things, they're things like temples, which don't really interest us besides snapping a picture. Yes, I know there are activities like Mt. Fuji and maybe some beaches in Bali, but overall the nicest things I got out of people's TRs to Asia are the flights and hotels.

While Europe is also just "city" things, I enjoyed it immensely because (and I know I'll get ripped for this) it's history I am more familiar with and, therefore, enjoyed seeing in person. While a certain market in China might be the most famous electronics market in the world, it just doesn't seem too attractive to me. The TRs just haven't done it for me the same way Europe and Hawaii TRs have.
Have you read the Thailand thread?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: September 03, 2015, 12:54:05 PM »
Have you read the Thailand thread?
Only bits and pieces. Enough to know that BKK is like HNL - as soon as you land get on another plane to another island/city. Mostly read just the TRs, though.

And if you're referring to the animal activities in Thailand, that's true, those are not "city" activities, I just forgot to mention them. It'll take a lot of convincing to convince my wife that these animals are not kept under harsh conditions (whether they actually are or not).

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: September 03, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »
Only bits and pieces. Enough to know that BKK is like HNL - as soon as you land get on another plane to another island/city. Mostly read just the TRs, though.

And if you're referring to the animal activities in Thailand, that's true, those are not "city" activities, I just forgot to mention them. It'll take a lot of convincing to convince my wife that these animals are not kept under harsh conditions (whether they actually are or not).
Looks like you've missed KOH altogether.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1505 on: September 03, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »

+1000000. I feel the EXACT same way - couldn't have said it better myself.

Of course there's something here and there that seems enticing. But as a whole, Asia doesn't doesn't seem like the place for me.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: September 03, 2015, 01:06:18 PM »
I forgot about your SeaWorld issues
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: September 03, 2015, 01:10:20 PM »
Looks like you've missed KOH altogether.
Just looked it up a little on Google. It's a beach place mostly? Why not just stay local for beaches?

I forgot about your SeaWorld issues
Yep. Although, I know at least 1 person here who is adamant that the animals aren't hurt/treated poorly in Thailand.

+1000000. I feel the EXACT same way - couldn't have said it better myself.

Of course there's something here and there that seems enticing. But as a whole, Asia doesn't doesn't seem like the place for me.
:)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1508 on: September 03, 2015, 01:11:09 PM »
I think what doesn't come across in the TRs is the vibe. The vibe of places like HKG and NRT can't be described, but it's definitely something that has to be experienced.

Other neat factor is the people you meet at Chabad Houses in the Asian cities. Have had many memorable shabbosim. CNX, HKG, MEL, NRT, and UKB all stand out and people say the same about PEK, PVG, etc. The TPE shliach is even a DDFer.

Thailand has activities for everyone and is ridiculously cheap. The cost factor is something else that doesn't come out well in TRs.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: September 03, 2015, 01:15:15 PM »
Just looked it up a little on Google. It's a beach place mostly? Why not just stay local for beaches?
Haven't been there myself (yet...), but if you look at Google images it doesn't seem like your typical beaches.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: September 03, 2015, 01:16:18 PM »
I think what doesn't come across in the TRs is the vibe. The vibe of places like HKG and NRT can't be described, but it's definitely something that has to be experienced.

Other neat factor is the people you meet at Chabad Houses in the Asian cities. Have had many memorable shabbosim. CNX, HKG, MEL, NRT, and UKB all stand out and people say the same about PEK, PVG, etc. The TPE shliach is even a DDFer.

Thailand has activities for everyone and is ridiculously cheap. The cost factor is something else that doesn't come out well in TRs.
I think the issue for me is that I'm not a world traveler. I don't dream of seeing the cultures (vibes) from around the world, so when I think about what I'd like to do on a vacation, I think about the types of activities I'd like to do and places like Asia don't pop up in my mind. The most attractive thing about Asia to me is the Great Wall - getting to see something "famous" - and you obviously don't travel to the other side of the world just for a 1/2 day activity.

Haven't been there myself (yet...), but if you look at Google images it doesn't seem like your typical beaches.
I'm not talking about Miami beach. Caribbean and Hawaii are close enough/easier to get to for beautiful and secluded beaches.

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #1511 on: September 03, 2015, 03:16:15 PM »
Inter Island flights from LIH to ITO or KOA. (thru HNL)

Some flights have 20 minutes in between  others have more.

The flight numbers are different, do they change planes between?
Trying to figure out how much time I need without missing connection

It usually different planes but HNL airport isn't that big and they should send your bags directly to your destination.

We had a 45 min stopover and we were sitting bored in the airport.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1512 on: September 03, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »
Yup, I'd say 25 minutes is plenty.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 03, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »
It usually different planes but HNL airport isn't that big and they should send your bags directly to your destination.

We had a 45 min stopover and we were sitting bored in the airport.
I would just clarify that the interisland section of the airport isn't that big. When connecting from a mainland flight, you're in another section of the airport and you'd want more time than that.

Offline ygygold

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 09, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
I believe UA will only interline if the HA leg is on the same PNR. If you have to recheck your bags, looks like it'll be tight.

If I buy the HNL-LIH through UA, can it go on one PNR and will I have time to switch over? Other option is going to hours later.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1515 on: October 19, 2015, 07:55:06 PM »
Hawaiian installing lie-flat seats in F!

Lucky has some nice coverage.

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 19, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
Hawaiian installing lie-flat seats in F!

Lucky has some nice coverage.
Of course this had to happen after AA restricted mileage redemptions US-Hawaii.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 19, 2015, 09:40:29 PM »
Awesome!  About time.  A few years ago I chatted up with a Hawaiian airlines employee lamenting the lack of lay flat and I was told that it was something they were working on.  This is great news.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1519 on: October 19, 2015, 10:40:45 PM »
Of course this had to happen after AA restricted mileage redemptions US-Hawaii.

Yup, very annoying.

And on that subject, the Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Award Chart post on DDMS hasn't been updated yet to reflect the loss of the relationship.