Topic Wiki

Please post your questions in the correct thread. This thread, as the title clearly states, is for general Hawaii questions only.

If you have any questions that pertains to a particular island, post it in the appropriate island thread. See below for links to all island threads.

You'd get far better answers there, and chances are that your issue was already discussed at length too.

DansMeals: Hawaii For The Kosher Traveler:
-Part 1: General Info And The Island Of Oahu
-Part 2: The Big Island of Hawaii
-Part 3: Maui
-Part 4: Kauai

Related DD Posts:
-Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Chart and Everything You Need to Know About the Hawaiian Islands (2015)
-Trip Notes: Maui No Ka ‘Oi (2014)
-Trip Notes Kauai: Heaven On Earth (2014)
-The Hawaiian Islands. (2011)
-Traveling To Hawaii…With A 5 Month Old (2011)
-View From The Room (2011)
-Pearl Harbor…70 Years (2011)
-Shaloha! (2011)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Kauai (2009)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Oahu (2009)
-Which Miles To Use To Fly To Hawaii?

Related DDF Destination Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread
-Lanai, Molokai, and Niihau, Hawaii Master Thread

Background on Hawaiian Islands
You've probably heard of Honolulu. That's the state capital and is located on island of Oahu, the main island with the largest airport. Honolulu hosts the famous Waikiki Beach and if you look at pictures, it looks like Miami. One long beach with a strip of hotels. Most DDFers say to go to one of the other 3 main islands which are less touristy and the hotels are more spread out. In no particular order, the other islands are Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (yes, that's the name of one of the islands. It's also known as The Big Island - confusing because Big Island sounds like it's the "Main Island", but Oahu is the main island). Direct flights from NYC only go to HNL. You can get direct flights from other cities (LAX, SFO, OAK, SJC, SAN, DEN, DFW, PHX, SEA, ORD as examples) to the other islands. Hawaii is amazing - have fun! The main airport codes are:
Oahu: HNL
Maui: OGG
Kauai: LIH
The Big Island: KOA, ITO (2 airports on 2 different sides of the island)

Interisland flights:
Hawaiian is the main interisland carrier and flies HNL, LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO. They have countless flights each day and are nearly always on time - often even early. Never book a tight connection hoping that the interisland flight will be delayed.

Go and Island Air fly from HNL. Mokulele flies from HNL and KOA, as well as to Kapalua (JHM), Hana (HNM), Molokai (MKK), Lanai (LNY), and Waimea-Kohala (MUE) on the Big Island. Hawaiian's subsidiary Ohana flies HNL to MKK and LNY.

You can also use 5k AA, 6k UA or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. You can use 15k DL pesos for a RT interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.
HA has several tiers, similar to DL, the lowest tier is the only one that's available using partner miles, but with HA miles you can purchase tickets that are otherwise unavailable for additional miles.

@Yehuda's thoughts on deciding between Kauai and Maui:
Here's a list of the main activities on both islands. Decide what interests you, and then you'll know where to go.

Kauai has what many say to be one of the best hikes in the world - Kalalau Trail. Most people will only do the first part, but it's still very highly regarded. The views atop Waimea Canyon are breathtaking, yet Maui also has breathtaking views at Haleakala. Kauai also has some supposedly awesome off-roading on Miloli'i Ridge Road. Sunset at the 12-mile long Polihale Beach is supposed to be quite the sunset. A helicopter tour of Kauai is generally said to be much better than a heli tour of Maui. If the water is calm, Queen's Bath, which is a natural pool in the ocean you can swim in that's protected from the ocean's force by hardened lava, is SICK, but Maui has the same thing by the Olivine Pools. Kayaking down the Wailua River to "Secret Falls" is supposed to be great as well. Of course, the luxurious, tropical amazingness of the Grand Hyatt Kauai is a huge boost for Kauai, except for its beach, but the great Po'ipu Beach is 5 minutes away.

Maui has the Road to Hana, which is an incredible drive through what feels like a rainforest with tons of opportunities to take small hikes to waterfalls and pools. It's just wow wow wow. Sunrise at the top Haleakala is not to be missed. A boat trip to snorkel by Molokini Crater offers what is supposedly some of the best snorkeling visibility in the world. Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show is supposed to be a great night out. The hotels are also magical, perhaps to a lesser degree than GHK, but the beaches by the main hotels are a big plus over GHK's beach. EDIT: The Grand Wailea in Maui is a gorgeous hotel that rivals the GHK (and its lazy river actually moves as opposed to GHK's ). Add in the fact that its beach (Wailea Beach) is swimmable and doesn't require the albeit short drive to Po'ipu Beach that the GHK does, I'm not sure that the GHK should be a reason enough to tip the scales in favor of Kauai over Maui anymore.

So, pick the types of activities you'd want to do and then you'll have your island. I personally liked Maui better mostly because of the Road to Hana, but to be fair, I did miss out on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai due to weather.
« Last edited by jj1000 on December 25, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Author Topic: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?  (Read 484909 times)

Offline momo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2012, 01:23:28 PM »
I typically aim for 60-75 minutes to connect either way in HNL and check my bags all the way to the final destination. 
It's either a nice hike to the interisland terminal or a slow shuttle, either way figure on it taking 15-25 minutes to connect.

Never missed a connection with 60-75.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2012, 12:41:26 PM »
I plan on visiting LIH sometime later this year anywhere form August to November (Sun-Thu trip). Have inbound into LIH on 11/04 (AA award=free changes)

Any harm in locking into the 20k direct from HNL-EWR on 11/08 now? (+inter-island from LIH-HNL)

What if I need to change my AA Award but CO doesn't have availability on a direct from HNL am I risking messing myself up?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
CO has free changes as long as origin/destination are the same and it's done 21+ days out.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
CO has free changes as long as origin/destination are the same and it's done 21+ days out.
But I would risk having no availability on a direct thus having 2 stops on the way home.
Rather book something from LIH with 1 stop in mainland no?

Which brings me to another point of is it even worth it to spend the extra money/miles just to be on that direct HNL-EWR?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:59:58 PM by Mocha »

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
But I would risk having no availability on a direct thus having 2 stops on the way home.
Rather book something from LIH with 1 stop in mainland no?

Which brings me to another point of is it even worth it to spend the extra money/miles just to be on that direct HNL-EWR?
In coach or BF? If youre flying coach anyways, I would say the cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to fly NYC-LAX-LIH instead of flying to HNL and changing to an inter-island flight and having to purchase a separate award.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
In coach or BF? If youre flying coach anyways, I would say the cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to fly NYC-LAX-LIH instead of flying to HNL and changing to an inter-island flight and having to purchase a separate award.
Coach.
Thanks I will be on the lookout for a LIH-LAX-EWR flight. Only see flights with 2+ stops for now.

BF to/from EWR is standard domestic BF anyways. Plus I can't sleep on a plane without my little ambien friend regardless of where I sit...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
standard domestic BF
Oxymoron.  There's domestic F, there is no domestic BF.  And EWR-HNL is much better than domestic F even if it's not international BF.

Plus I can't sleep on a plane without my little ambien friend regardless of where I sit...
CX F does wonders.  So does Bose QC15s.

+1, or LIH-SFO-NYC.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2012, 04:30:33 PM »
Oxymoron.  There's domestic F, there is no domestic BF.
My bad.

CX F does wonders.  So does Bose QC15s.
While I find CX F very relaxing/comfortable I still can not sleep without a pill.
And I don't know why people fly without QC15 

+1, or LIH-SFO-NYC.
Then thats what Ill do.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2012, 12:52:32 PM »
http://www.oahukosher.com/  says they r closed. Does anyone know if this is for good or only now during the winter. Does that mean one cant get kosher food on kauai?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
http://www.oahukosher.com/  says they r closed. Does anyone know if this is for good or only now during the winter. Does that mean one cant get kosher food on kauai?
The restaurant is closed, but he still makes food on request and can send to other island AFAIK.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »
from his website it sounds, like he is closed after 5 years of service.... send him a email.... will wait

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2012, 01:04:27 PM »
Could be.  There are places in LA that will send double wrapped meals from eateries there to your hotel.

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2012, 01:52:40 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned luaus in this thread.  For those who have visited Oahu, any recommendations or anything to definitely avoid?  We are a couple in our early 30s with no kids.  I've read a handful of reviews on other boards, but most reviews lack real pluses/minuses or are a couple of years old.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2012, 01:53:44 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned luaus in this thread.  For those who have visited Oahu, any recommendations or anything to definitely avoid?  We are a couple in our early 30s with no kids.  I've read a handful of reviews on other boards, but most reviews lack real pluses/minuses or are a couple of years old.
You won't find much help here...luaus don't offer much attraction to folk who only eat kosher.

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2012, 02:04:47 AM »
You won't find much help here...luaus don't offer much attraction to folk who only eat kosher.

Yeah I realized that shortly after I posted the question.  I came back here to delete it but you responded too quickly :)

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2012, 06:58:29 AM »
This are the email I got from Chabad HNL

We are in the midst of opening a new restaurant now, and should be able to send food to you in Kauai. There will be an additional charge for sending meals outer-island. Please be in touch with us as it gets closer to your trip - we are in the process of updating our website and should have all appropriate information available for you shortly.

----------------------

We may have a slightly varied menu/pricing but the idea is definitely the same...
----------------------
We are beginning with take out meals this coming week, but a fully functional restaurant is in the works. We will have a website, and you will be able to access it from chabad's direct site (chabadofhawaii.com). Please check back with us via email or by checking Chabad's site to get full details as it gets closer to your trip.

Offline JJP

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »
Hello DDF members,

My wife & I are planning our honeymoon trip to Hawaii for mid-May and i wanted to get some input from DDF members.

We want to go for 8 nights (4 @ hyatt waikiki & 4 @ hyatt kauai). My wife and I both have the hyatt cc with 2 suite nights awards each (we applied after being diamond matched from hilton gold). In addition we have ~80k UR points and 8 x 7-day suite upgrade certificates (4 each).

Now, given that I only want to stay in suites in both the hotels, what would be my best options? Is it to use the 4 suite nights in one hotel and then for the other hotel buy 2 nights in standard rate rooms (~$400/night) and use one upgrade certificate on top of those and then use my points to get 2 free nights and pray that they will leave me in the suite??

Or should I use 2 suites awards in one hotel and then 2 suites awards in the other and then scramble something with my points and cash for the other nights?

I dont mind paying for 2 nights @ standard rate but that's my maximum... I would rather use my points if u have a better use of them than what I suggested...

Thanks again DDF members!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »
Hello DDF members,

My wife & I are planning our honeymoon trip to Hawaii for mid-May and i wanted to get some input from DDF members.

We want to go for 8 nights (4 @ hyatt waikiki & 4 @ hyatt kauai). My wife and I both have the hyatt cc with 2 suite nights awards each (we applied after being diamond matched from hilton gold). In addition we have ~80k UR points and 8 x 7-day suite upgrade certificates (4 each).

Now, given that I only want to stay in suites in both the hotels, what would be my best options? Is it to use the 4 suite nights in one hotel and then for the other hotel buy 2 nights in standard rate rooms (~$400/night) and use one upgrade certificate on top of those and then use my points to get 2 free nights and pray that they will leave me in the suite??

Or should I use 2 suites awards in one hotel and then 2 suites awards in the other and then scramble something with my points and cash for the other nights?

I dont mind paying for 2 nights @ standard rate but that's my maximum... I would rather use my points if u have a better use of them than what I suggested...

Thanks again DDF members!
The better question is why the 4 nights in Oahu instead of Maui or the Big Island?