Topic Wiki

Please post your questions in the correct thread. This thread, as the title clearly states, is for general Hawaii questions only.

If you have any questions that pertains to a particular island, post it in the appropriate island thread. See below for links to all island threads.

You'd get far better answers there, and chances are that your issue was already discussed at length too.

DansMeals: Hawaii For The Kosher Traveler:
-Part 1: General Info And The Island Of Oahu
-Part 2: The Big Island of Hawaii
-Part 3: Maui
-Part 4: Kauai

Related DD Posts:
-Ultimate Hawaii Mileage Chart and Everything You Need to Know About the Hawaiian Islands (2015)
-Trip Notes: Maui No Ka ‘Oi (2014)
-Trip Notes Kauai: Heaven On Earth (2014)
-The Hawaiian Islands. (2011)
-Traveling To Hawaii…With A 5 Month Old (2011)
-View From The Room (2011)
-Pearl Harbor…70 Years (2011)
-Shaloha! (2011)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Kauai (2009)
-Hawaii Trip Notes: Oahu (2009)
-Which Miles To Use To Fly To Hawaii?

Related DDF Destination Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread
-Lanai, Molokai, and Niihau, Hawaii Master Thread

Background on Hawaiian Islands
You've probably heard of Honolulu. That's the state capital and is located on island of Oahu, the main island with the largest airport. Honolulu hosts the famous Waikiki Beach and if you look at pictures, it looks like Miami. One long beach with a strip of hotels. Most DDFers say to go to one of the other 3 main islands which are less touristy and the hotels are more spread out. In no particular order, the other islands are Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (yes, that's the name of one of the islands. It's also known as The Big Island - confusing because Big Island sounds like it's the "Main Island", but Oahu is the main island). Direct flights from NYC only go to HNL. You can get direct flights from other cities (LAX, SFO, OAK, SJC, SAN, DEN, DFW, PHX, SEA, ORD as examples) to the other islands. Hawaii is amazing - have fun! The main airport codes are:
Oahu: HNL
Maui: OGG
Kauai: LIH
The Big Island: KOA, ITO (2 airports on 2 different sides of the island)

Interisland flights:
Hawaiian is the main interisland carrier and flies HNL, LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO. They have countless flights each day and are nearly always on time - often even early. Never book a tight connection hoping that the interisland flight will be delayed.

Go and Island Air fly from HNL. Mokulele flies from HNL and KOA, as well as to Kapalua (JHM), Hana (HNM), Molokai (MKK), Lanai (LNY), and Waimea-Kohala (MUE) on the Big Island. Hawaiian's subsidiary Ohana flies HNL to MKK and LNY.

You can also use 5k AA, 6k UA or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. You can use 15k DL pesos for a RT interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.
HA has several tiers, similar to DL, the lowest tier is the only one that's available using partner miles, but with HA miles you can purchase tickets that are otherwise unavailable for additional miles.

@Yehuda's thoughts on deciding between Kauai and Maui:
Here's a list of the main activities on both islands. Decide what interests you, and then you'll know where to go.

Kauai has what many say to be one of the best hikes in the world - Kalalau Trail. Most people will only do the first part, but it's still very highly regarded. The views atop Waimea Canyon are breathtaking, yet Maui also has breathtaking views at Haleakala. Kauai also has some supposedly awesome off-roading on Miloli'i Ridge Road. Sunset at the 12-mile long Polihale Beach is supposed to be quite the sunset. A helicopter tour of Kauai is generally said to be much better than a heli tour of Maui. If the water is calm, Queen's Bath, which is a natural pool in the ocean you can swim in that's protected from the ocean's force by hardened lava, is SICK, but Maui has the same thing by the Olivine Pools. Kayaking down the Wailua River to "Secret Falls" is supposed to be great as well. Of course, the luxurious, tropical amazingness of the Grand Hyatt Kauai is a huge boost for Kauai, except for its beach, but the great Po'ipu Beach is 5 minutes away.

Maui has the Road to Hana, which is an incredible drive through what feels like a rainforest with tons of opportunities to take small hikes to waterfalls and pools. It's just wow wow wow. Sunrise at the top Haleakala is not to be missed. A boat trip to snorkel by Molokini Crater offers what is supposedly some of the best snorkeling visibility in the world. Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show is supposed to be a great night out. The hotels are also magical, perhaps to a lesser degree than GHK, but the beaches by the main hotels are a big plus over GHK's beach. EDIT: The Grand Wailea in Maui is a gorgeous hotel that rivals the GHK (and its lazy river actually moves as opposed to GHK's ). Add in the fact that its beach (Wailea Beach) is swimmable and doesn't require the albeit short drive to Po'ipu Beach that the GHK does, I'm not sure that the GHK should be a reason enough to tip the scales in favor of Kauai over Maui anymore.

So, pick the types of activities you'd want to do and then you'll have your island. I personally liked Maui better mostly because of the Road to Hana, but to be fair, I did miss out on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai due to weather.
« Last edited by jj1000 on December 25, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Author Topic: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?  (Read 484959 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: General Questions And Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 10:15:20 AM »
LIH
Free stuff on LIH:
-Check out my Kauai trip report:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/6088
-Get a convertible! Just breathing in the incredibly fresh air of Kauai  and being surrounded by the greenery, mountains, and ocean are my biggest pleasures on Kauai.
-You can spend days hiking in beautiful Waimea Canyon.
-The most famous hike in Hawaii is the Kalalau trail where you can hike the Na Pali coastline.
-Find a private stretch of beach out by Polihale.
-Check out the accessible waterfalls like Wailua and Opaeka (most other Kauai waterfalls require hikes/helicopter)
Take the driving tour of Kauai as laid out in Kauai Revealed It would be a shame to go to any Hawaiian island without the appropriate "revealed" book for each island.  This is not like any other guidebook you've ever read.
-If you're at the Grand Hyatt Kauai take advantage of all of their free activities, like learning how to Scuba, etc.
-Snorkel with the amazing fish, whales, huge green sea turtles, and monk seals!
-There's a nice blowhole to see, but not as impressive as the one on Maui.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 10:18:37 AM »
Links to Hawaiian Chabad houses:

-Honolulu, Oahu (HNL)
Good links for prepared kosher foods and shabbos meals.  Don't forget to buy their inexpensive Hawaiian kippa when you visit, it'll get compliments from everyone on Hawaii and also makes for a great gift!

-Kahalui, Maui (OGG)
Good links for supermarkets with kosher food.  Their link to Mana foods saved us $$$, great place to shop on Maui!  And the Rabbi there is incredible, definitely give him a call to offer to bring hard-to-get kosher items and he'll reciprocate warmly!  There is a mikvah here as well.

-Kona, Hawaii (KOA)
Also operates out of Hilo, Hawaii (ITO) one shabbos per month

-Kilauea, Kauai (LIH)
The Kauai chabad house currently only operates on yomim tovim.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:25:17 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »
thanks! when you have a chance, can you write up on Maui?

what is the best way to get a convertable?

is 2,500 delta miles a day good for an economy rent a car?

Offline auntiemus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 12:52:26 AM »
Which Hyatt is better Maui or Kaui?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 01:07:19 AM »
Which Hyatt is better Maui or Kaui?
While there will always be a debate if Maui or Kauai is better there is no debate here, the Grand Hyatt Kauai is much better than Hyatt Regency Maui.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »
Quote from: Anon
1) Is the only shabbos minyan in Hawaii in Oahu? Which SPG would you recommend that is near the shul (assuming there is availability there for shabbos.
2) Would you recommend spending shabbos in Maui rather than Oahu? Is there any minyan or kosher food there?
3) Can AA, United, Delta and Continental miles be used for inter-island flights? If yes, how many miles is it? Is availability generally easy?
4) Does the GH Kauai have any kosher food in the lounges or at meals like the PH Paris does?
Someone emailed me these questions, so I figured I'd tackle them here where other people might also have the same questions...

There is a chabad house on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island.

Oahu has the most consistent minyan, you'll have to call the others to ask if they have a shabbos minyan when you plan on going.

The SPG properties in HNL can be problematic.  The Westin is incredible (They upgraded us to a massive oceanfront suite!) but the staircases all have motion sensors which turn the lights on.  They'll be glad to send someone up to take you down the elevator or even trip the staircase sensors, but you'll have to ask your rov about that.

The Sheraton also has the staircase problem although we found one service staircase that didn't have the sensors, but that was a few years ago.  You'll want to call and find out what the current situation is.

Chabad on Maui is in Kahalui, away from the major resorts, but you may find some "airport hotels" within walking distance.  You can always call the shliach there (who is a GREAT guy) for more info.

Our favorite shabbos was the one we spent in the Grand Hyatt on Kauai.  Kauai just has a spiritual feeling that is like nowhere else I've ever been...too beautiful for words.

You can get kosher food from Oahu Kosher and they deliver to any island, but personally we brought our own food with us.

You should also be able to buy kosher food from the shluchim on Maui.
The Hyatt in Maui also has kosher airline meals that are actually pretty decent.

You can use miles for inter-island flights with any airline.  Pretty much everyone charges 10,000 miles. AA allows one-ways for 5,000 miles. Most airlines are partners with both Hawaiian and IslandAir.  Continental allows stopover, so you can book HNL-OGG-LIH-HNL for example for 10,000 miles.  Continental is also the only one that lets you book online to avoid a phone booking fee, but you can't book stopover awards online.  I have had some success getting Continental to waive the phone fee though when I speak to the CO.com desk and tell them I tried to book online but wasn't able to.

I also have a Corporate Hawaiian Airlines account that gives 2 free bags and free flight changes and standby if anyone wants to book it that way...

We didn't look for food in the Grand Club in the Grand Hyatt Kauai, but I know "eliteflyer" did and found a ton of kosher stuff. Perhaps he'll chime in here with what he found.

Safe travels!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:39:33 PM by Dan »

Offline Jgraj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 12:43:51 PM »
hey dan,

someone just told me about your forum, i have been reading for like an hour, and its awesome!
i need major help booking a last minute trip to hawaii.  my wife and i are planning to go on wedn (in 5 days!).  we have free flights.
first of all, from reading a little bit i think i want to spend 5-6 days in both maui and kauai.  i read you recommend the GH kauai but its all booked up.  anything other hotels you suggest there? 
can you get kosher bread and cheese and stuff like that in the local supermarkets on those islands?
i have more questions, but im gonna start with these.

thanks,
josh
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:09:35 PM by Jgraj »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 02:05:57 PM »
hey dan,

someone just told me about your forum, i have been reading for like an hour, and its awesome!
i need major help booking a last minute trip to hawaii.  my wife and i are planning to go on wedn (in 5 days!).  we have free flights.
first of all, from reading a little bit i think i want to spend 5-6 days in both maui and kauai.  i read you recommend the GH kauai but its all booked up.  anything other hotels you suggest there? 
can you get kosher bread and cheese and stuff like that in the local supermarkets on those islands?
i have more questions, but im gonna start with these.

thanks,
josh
Diamond members can sometimes get hotels to make space for them, what is your budget for rooms?
How long will you be in Hawaii altogether? Did you book tickets yet?

Offline momo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 04:49:44 PM »
regarding bread. you can get thomas bagels just about anywhere. there are a couple of supermarkets that had a more extensive kosher bread section but i forget which. you can call the chabad they were very helpful. cheese they will have phil cream cheese and such i dont know about more then that cuz i didnt look. but otherwise they have alot of the same goods as elswhere pasta,cereal,chips,snacks,etc..

Offline Jgraj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »
we have not booked tickets yet.  our dates are wedn. aug 11th till sun. aug 22nd. 
we don't really have a preference which island to go to first, but we'll do one half on kauai and one half on maui.  for all those dates i could not get a room in GH kauai, but in maui i could get a room in the second half.  if you could get a room that would be amazing!  can you fly into either island from ny?
i have been reading your longer forum responses for things to do within the towns.
should we rent a car on both islands or just kauai? 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »
we have not booked tickets yet.  our dates are wedn. aug 11th till sun. aug 22nd. 
we don't really have a preference which island to go to first, but we'll do one half on kauai and one half on maui.  for all those dates i could not get a room in GH kauai, but in maui i could get a room in the second half.  if you could get a room that would be amazing!  can you fly into either island from ny?
i have been reading your longer forum responses for things to do within the towns.
should we rent a car on both islands or just kauai? 
Are you using miles or a paid ticket to get there?

You'll definitely need to rent a car on Maui or Kauai.  With 12 nights I might recommend spending two nights on the Big island to see a volcano erupting, dip in a volcanically heated pond, and see a sunset from the summit of a mountain taller than everest from its base.

Offline Jgraj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 10:50:56 PM »
We are flying with miles on Continental in and out of Maui.  Leaving NY on the 11th (wedn), return flight on the 23rd (mon).  It's 140,000 miles for the 2 of us.  We haven't yet booked flights in between the islands, so we're flexible on which island we do first.  You also recommended that we go to the Big Island of Hawaii for a night or two. 
We have been unsuccessful at getting a room at GH kauai and GH maui!  If you could help us get rooms that would be amazing!  When would you recommend in our trip we try and go to the Big Island?  I am just nervous it is a lot of flying and not so relaxing, do you strongly recommend that extra trip?  Are flights expensive between islands?
Thanks so much for the help. 

Offline Jgraj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »
sorry if i am a little unclear.  in my mind, best option is to check in at GH kauai on 17/18 and we would check out on 23rd.  but we are flexible. 
basically, we really need help, and we're definitely flying into maui but have no hotels for any part of our stay!
thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 11:04:22 PM »
Are you flying in Coach or First?  A coach ticket should not be more than 40K miles per person.

You can book a ticket for example from NYC-Maui-Kauai-NYC all on one mileage ticket.

There is no Grand Hyatt in Maui, just a Hyatt Regency.  Do you have any Starwood points to use at the Westin or Sheraton on Maui?

Additional interisland flight segments can range from $50-$120 or 5,000 miles.

Offline Jgraj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:06 AM »
We're flying coach.  The only flight we could find into Kauai was with two stops and we didn't want to do that. 
We have a lot of american express points, can u use those for starwood points?  or can i trade points?
i meant the hyatt regency in maui.
do you think you can get us hotel rooms on the islands?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 08:32:07 AM »
We're flying coach.  The only flight we could find into Kauai was with two stops and we didn't want to do that. 
We have a lot of american express points, can u use those for starwood points?  or can i trade points?
i meant the hyatt regency in maui.
do you think you can get us hotel rooms on the islands?

You're definitely overpaying.
Send me an email dan at dansdeals.com and I'll see if I can get you straightened out...

Offline abeshua

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
Dan, im reading about how u got all these awesome deals in Hawaii with points and such. Im going to hawaii november 14th to the 21st and we plan on going to kauai and Maui (not sure yet how to split up the days. )  Do you know how to find a good deal on hotels there and whats the best way to split our days amongst the 2 places and do u think those are the 2 best places to go in that timeframe. We dont really have any points as we have no clue how it works and from the looks of things its going to be really expensive. Awesome website by the way. One of the first things I look at when I get to work.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 11:18:36 PM »
We are flying with miles on Continental in and out of Maui.  Leaving NY on the 11th (wedn), return flight on the 23rd (mon).  It's 140,000 miles for the 2 of us.  We haven't yet booked flights in between the islands, so we're flexible on which island we do first.  You also recommended that we go to the Big Island of Hawaii for a night or two. 
We have been unsuccessful at getting a room at GH kauai and GH maui!  If you could help us get rooms that would be amazing!  When would you recommend in our trip we try and go to the Big Island?  I am just nervous it is a lot of flying and not so relaxing, do you strongly recommend that extra trip?  Are flights expensive between islands?
Thanks so much for the help. 

Thanks for being a beta-tester of Dansdeals Concierge Services!
I hope you enjoyed your Hawaiian vacation-And that 3 balcony oceanfront suite at Hyatt Maui and the amazing GH Kauai!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 11:23:59 PM »
Dan, im reading about how u got all these awesome deals in Hawaii with points and such. Im going to hawaii november 14th to the 21st and we plan on going to kauai and Maui (not sure yet how to split up the days. )  Do you know how to find a good deal on hotels there and whats the best way to split our days amongst the 2 places and do u think those are the 2 best places to go in that timeframe. We dont really have any points as we have no clue how it works and from the looks of things its going to be really expensive. Awesome website by the way. One of the first things I look at when I get to work.
Sent you a PM...

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »
which spg hotel is the nicest/ best location.. price is not a factor.