Author Topic: Ebay Fees Question  (Read 7569 times)

Offline popcorn1508

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: national executive elite, hertz presidents circle
Re: Ebay Fees Question
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 11:58:45 PM »
i sell things on ebay and it just does not sell well and i see other peaple doing great what am i doing wrong

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 12:10:28 AM »
to be honest, its an art to sell on ebay,

first try to have your listing end at a normal hour across the country (usa) meaning myabe at 10 pm EST which is 7 at the west coast
also try starting low, this way ppl will bid up knowing that it goes for much more, (for e.i. i know that an iphone 5 goes for minimum 600 on ebay if u start at 0 i will put my first bid at 500 and itll work up from there, tats what i do to be honest)
also make sure you have good pictures, and specify. maybe even offer a discount if someone purcheses more than one item from you.
a big thing as a buyer on ebay is returns and shipping (though i got more lax with the returns as long as i have ebay protection/amex) but free shipping is crucial, to me.

but the real thing is to me - STAY AWAY FROM EBAY! between there fees and pay pal theres very little mark up, i would suggest craigslist, or put a listsing on ebay to look at ur craigslist page, ebay just eats up ur profits,
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Ebay Fees Question
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 12:13:19 AM »
i sell things on ebay and it just does not sell well and i see other peaple doing great what am i doing wrong

What kind of things are you selling?
I also hear such mixed reviews from people. I tend to sell new items though which have less issues then open items.
And I don't do returns so I rarely deal with problems.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline rots5

• View Profile
Re: Re: Ebay Fees Question
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 12:14:06 AM »
What kind of things are you selling?
I also hear such mixed reviews from people. I tend to sell new items though which have less issues then open items.
And I don't do returns so I rarely deal with problems.

ya thats the best sell closed (or rebated) items this way they know what there getting,

Offline Kvending

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »

a big thing as a buyer on ebay is returns and shipping (though i got more lax with the returns as long as i have ebay protection/amex) but free shipping is crucial, to me.

but the real thing is to me - STAY AWAY FROM EBAY! between there fees and pay pal theres very little mark up, i would suggest craigslist, or put a listsing on ebay to look at ur craigslist page, ebay just eats up ur profits,

A couple things, regarding your point on that as a buyer shipping means a lot. All that depends you can have a guy sell an item for $20 & have free shipping vs. another guy sell the same item for $15 with a $5 shipping fee. They both equal the same amount. Also it used to be that ebay & paypal wouldn't charge you their fees for the shipping cost, so what people did is charge very little for the cost of the actual goods & charge the rest in the shipping fee. But ebay & paypal caught on & now that method no longer works.
But your right that between ebay & paypal your paying close to 15% on the gross price. So unless you have a huge profit margin it can hurt to list items on ebay.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 12:29:11 AM »
A couple things, regarding your point on that as a buyer shipping means a lot. All that depends you can have a guy sell an item for $20 & have free shipping vs. another guy sell the same item for $15 with a $5 shipping fee. They both equal the same amount. Also it used to be that ebay & paypal wouldn't charge you their fees for the shipping cost, so what people did is charge very little for the cost of the actual goods & charge the rest in the shipping fee. But ebay & paypal caught on & now that method no longer works.
But your right that between ebay & paypal your paying close to 15% on the gross price. So unless you have a huge profit margin it can hurt to list items on ebay.

you make a very valid point im sorry i was more detailed, i am selling a brand new phone (junk for 15 - i bought it for 30 but i need to get rid of t, though shipping is 9$ - its just a way for me to get closer to 30 bec ppl woulnd never buy it if it was 26....

Offline Kvending

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »
you make a very valid point im sorry i was more detailed, i am selling a brand new phone (junk for 15 - i bought it for 30 but i need to get rid of t, though shipping is 9$ - its just a way for me to get closer to 30 bec ppl woulnd never buy it if it was 26....

100% correct. Which carrier is the phone from? Is it brand new?

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 01:38:14 AM »
100% correct. Which carrier is the phone from? Is it brand new?

here

Offline Kvending

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 06:47:23 AM »
here

You might have a hard time selling this, because not only are you charging $8 for shipping this small phone but it says that the shipping can take till November 7th to get to me. That's a long time from when the bidding ends. That's over 2 weeks possibly till it will arrive. I mean this is just my personal opinion, but when someone sees $8 for shipping for this item they will think okay at least it will come fast & then they check & see that's not true, they could be very disappointed. But again, all of this is just my personal view on this matter. I hope you have much Hatzlacha, seriously.

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »
I highly disagree with the above statement.

Besides the fact that I have found craigslist a major waste of time, and tonz of SA scammers.

You are paying eBay for them hosting your items, the public exposure, and the safe buying enviorment for buyers. Even if you had your own site, and were newer established there is no chance you will get as many sales as what you could so on eBay.

If you are a occasional seller - then its much tougher - as your fees will be higher. But its not a business for you (as you aren't selling often)

Once you sell often, with having an eBay subscription, Top-Rated seller, and Lowe Paypal fees for a Merchant - then the total fees is not that high.

I have been selling on eBay for years, and as much as I hate all the fees I can't complain. I have sold thousands of items - that without eBay there would've been no way for me to make this amount of sale.

Edit: I have actually used craigslist a handful of times for buying selling cars and bikes, which I have did well, but I have never been able to sell an electronic item. I either got low ball offers, or a scam + you gotta factor in the time it takes to meet the buyer.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:37:17 AM by Name Changed »

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 09:35:28 AM »
You might have a hard time selling this, because not only are you charging $8 for shipping this small phone but it says that the shipping can take till November 7th to get to me. That's a long time from when the bidding ends. That's over 2 weeks possibly till it will arrive. I mean this is just my personal opinion, but when someone sees $8 for shipping for this item they will think okay at least it will come fast & then they check & see that's not true, they could be very disappointed. But again, all of this is just my personal view on this matter. I hope you have much Hatzlacha, seriously.

so what i usually do is, esp in the past few items i have sold i have ups'd it. i know i didnt write that but if someone emails me a q ill usually do that. my fathers biz does UPS everyday, so its no hassle on my part. but i do appreciate the cretinism, bec i will switch that option right now. thanks so much! i just switched it! really do appreciate the heads up!

and @name change, i was thinking about that this morning on my drive to yeshiva, as an occasional seller, its a fortune. as a big seller i suppose it aint to bad. though i never made to much money on my big sales, more on the small sale items, meaning i sold a camera (dslr) after all fees - at cost price, though i sold tons of headphones and small items at a much larger profit margin,
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:41:35 AM by rots5 »

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »
@rots5 - You should easily be able to ship the phone is a USPS Flat Rate box - will cost $5.
If you print the label online you get free tracking. You could print labels easily on eBay.

I happen to use an app called ShipRush - it syncs my eBay account and Fedex account, and I could print labels with just 1 click. Literally.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »
@rots5 - You should easily be able to ship the phone is a USPS Flat Rate box - will cost $5.
If you print the label online you get free tracking. You could print labels easily on eBay.

I happen to use an app called ShipRush - it syncs my eBay account and Fedex account, and I could print labels with just 1 click. Literally.

i have tried the ebay qucik ship, i usually have no idea the dimensions of the package, so i just do the easy thing and send it oput, though i will def get that app in a few and try it out

Offline Kvending

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »

I'm a little confused, first you said that USPS is the way to go & then you said that you have Fedex synced to your ebay account. Which one should one use? Which is better (in all aspects, overall) ?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
I use USPS. For me they are generally the best price.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
I use USPS. For me they are generally the best price.
Typically USPS is the cheapest - but only on light weight packages.
They are a horrible service. Period.

If you are shipping more expensive items that you need to insure - then Fedex will be cheaper. Also with Fedex you could get discounted prices.

I Use Fedex over UPS - as I find them to be a quicker service.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 01:17:15 PM »
Typically USPS is the cheapest - but only on light weight packages.
They are a horrible service. Period.

If you are shipping more expensive items that you need to insure - then Fedex will be cheaper. Also with Fedex you could get discounted prices.

I Use Fedex over UPS - as I find them to be a quicker service.

really, we all hate fedex for a tekufa we used DHL but UPS was always very reliable,
fedex doesnt do home delivery sometimes on mondays, and so on... :-)

though i htink we used dhl to send an esrog to dubai a few wekks ago, they were the only ones who would do overnight sat delivery w/o sig

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 02:31:27 PM »
really, we all hate fedex for a tekufa we used DHL but UPS was always very reliable,
fedex doesnt do home delivery sometimes on mondays, and so on... :-)

though i htink we used dhl to send an esrog to dubai a few wekks ago, they were the only ones who would do overnight sat delivery w/o sig
In comparing Fedex to UPS for Domestic Shipping.
I get typically better prices, and they have 1 day with ground (shipping from NJ) to a pretty wide radios

Internationally I use Fedex and DHL. I get crazy low prices. (to most countries its cheaper than USPS Express)

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 02:36:54 PM »
I use USPS for packages under 2 lb, otherwise it usually goes to FedEx

Offline blue eyes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »

first try to have your listing end at a normal hour across the country (usa) meaning myabe at 10 pm EST which is 7 at the west coast
also try starting low, this way ppl will bid up knowing that it goes for much more, (for e.i. i know that an iphone 5 goes for minimum 600 on ebay if u start at 0 i will put my first bid at 500 and itll work up from there, tats what i do to be honest)
also make sure you have good pictures, and specify. maybe even offer a discount if someone purcheses more than one item from you.

How do u bid on your own listing?