Author Topic: Shabbos In Hawaii: Ask Your Rav  (Read 11980 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Shabbos In Hawaii: Ask Your Rav
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »
you might want to speak with a competent rabbi before your journey as many poskim hold that what the hawaiians consider thursday night, is halachically friday night.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:22:49 PM by Dan »

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii Master Thread: Which Island To Visit?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
you might want to speak with a competent rabbi before your journey as many poskim hold that what the hawaiians consider thursday night, is halachically friday night.

A few months ago I took everyone down this road. What I didnt know at that time was alot of people on here are Chabadniks (including Dan which I didnt know at that btime) = for Them Shabbos is not a problem, IMO for anyone who isnt Chabad it is a problem and should ask before going.

A simple way around it is to stay in LA for Shabbos and then head over or head over and stay in LA on the way back. But at most thats a Sun-thurs deal so best to hit 1 Island and next time do another one

No place to stay in LA, everyone over to Moish's

OT, whats with LA it was Cloudy and out by bONT there was a slight dizzle, I could hav estayed in NY

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »
A few months ago I took everyone down this road. What I didnt know at that time was alot of people on here are Chabadniks (including Dan which I didnt know at that btime) = for Them Shabbos is not a problem, IMO for anyone who isnt Chabad it is a problem and should ask before going.

A simple way around it is to stay in LA for Shabbos and then head over or head over and stay in LA on the way back. But at most thats a Sun-thurs deal so best to hit 1 Island and next time do another one

No place to stay in LA, everyone over to Moish's

OT, whats with LA it was Cloudy and out by bONT there was a slight dizzle, I could hav estayed in NY
The majority of Poskim say Hawaii's Saturday is Shabbos, but definitely ask your Rabbi (As I'm sure Steve did before deciding to keep 1 day Yom Tov in Israel.)
As far as local minhag, the chabad houses on all 4 major Islands only hold Shabbos on the local Saturday. 

Anyway Hawaii is truly a special place...spiritual if you will.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 02:56:22 AM »
The majority of Poskim say Hawaii's Saturday is Shabbos, but definitely ask your Rabbi (As I'm sure Steve did before deciding to keep 1 day Yom Tov in Israel.)

Well he isnt my Rabbi perse but I did ask Rabbi Reuven Feinstein regarding holding 1 day for Yom Tov

Also Rabbi Shalom Zalman Aurbach held if a person is in Israel for Sucos,Pesach & Shavoth they can hold 1 day

Its not so simple as to what a person should hold, and I never would tell someone even under the exact same circumstances as I fall under that they can hold 1 day too, But would tell them to ask their LOR

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:50:37 AM »
(As I'm sure Steve did before deciding to keep 1 day Yom Tov in Israel.)

even thou I answered above. Since its way OT you had no right to mention this ,especially as it was in a PM to you, or even if I posted such elsewhere on the web

but since you did it already, whats your point???

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »
even thou I answered above. Since its way OT you had no right to mention this ,especially as it was in a PM to you, or even if I posted such elsewhere on the web

Chill out. We won't tell anyone ;)

Most poskim do hold that if you spend Shalosh Regalim in E"Y you keep 1 day. As per Hawaii, a friend of mine called R' Belsky who said that there's no problem spending shabbos in Hawaii whatsoever

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 12:17:59 PM »
Chill out. We won't tell anyone ;)

Most poskim do hold that if you spend Shalosh Regalim in E"Y you keep 1 day. As per Hawaii, a friend of mine called R' Belsky who said that there's no problem spending shabbos in Hawaii whatsoever

im very chilled but it will be Hot out here in LA today

I even heard over Shabbos that someone has been giving a shuir that he worked out where the Intl dateline is acording to Halacha. I told my friend contact the guy and have him print it up even articles in our newspapers would do the trick

This is the 1st time I heard that Rabbi Belsky matirs it, then again I never heard that he said 1 shouldnt go. My pt is its not well known what Rabbi Belsky holds. Im not saying he didnt say what you said he did but it would be nice if it was better known. Unfortunately sometimes things are asked and answered in a way that it only pretains to the party asking. eg even thou Rebbi Shach told me I could go to College he didnt matir it for the Olam, but for me per the circumstances, had ne meant for the whole Olam he would have had something printed up saying so.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:20:05 PM by steve2 »

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 03:16:28 PM »
im very chilled but it will be Hot out here in LA today

I even heard over Shabbos that someone has been giving a shuir that he worked out where the Intl dateline is acording to Halacha. I told my friend contact the guy and have him print it up even articles in our newspapers would do the trick

This is the 1st time I heard that Rabbi Belsky matirs it, then again I never heard that he said 1 shouldnt go. My pt is its not well known what Rabbi Belsky holds. Im not saying he didnt say what you said he did but it would be nice if it was better known. Unfortunately sometimes things are asked and answered in a way that it only pretains to the party asking. eg even thou Rebbi Shach told me I could go to College he didnt matir it for the Olam, but for me per the circumstances, had ne meant for the whole Olam he would have had something printed up saying so.

There is about a 6 way machlokes as per where exactly the Intl Dateline is. Each man to his own (Rabbi)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »

I'm sorry if I "outed" you, I thought you had actually mentioned that you held one day in another post.
My point was just let's just leave Hawaii as something worth asking your Rav about as the one-two day question is.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
Re: Shabbos In Hawaii: Ask Your Rav
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 02:02:11 AM »
I'm sorry if I "outed" you, I thought you had actually mentioned that you held one day in another post.
My point was just let's just leave Hawaii as something worth asking your Rav about as the one-two day question is.

and that is all I was saying in both this thread and the previous one

when it comes to which Airline or Hotel program is the best, thats something each of us can have our own opinion on and can try to convince everyone else why we are right.

When it comes to Halacha, what our personal preference is or what we were told we may do, isnt something that may apply to anyone else. Thusly why everyone should ask for themselves

it wasnt an issue of being outed, but rather if we are discussing Hawaii then its not the same as discussing 1 or 2 days Yom Tov.I have nothing to hide, I just couldnt understand why you were bringing up what I or anyone else held in regards to Yom Tov with what a person should do regarding Shabbos.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:01:43 AM by steve2 »

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 02:46:50 AM »

I didn't think it was a secret, since I remember checking out the Forum on Motzei Pesach, and seeing that you had responded to Superflyer (I believe), the day earlier, which was Shvii Shel Pesach, and since I know that you keep Shabbos, I realized that it was already Motzei Pesach for Israelis, and you had only kept 1 day. But thanks for clarifying here your reason for keeping 1 day!

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:23 AM »
I just want to mention that before I went I called R' Bechofer from Monsey who, I'm told, gives a shiur twice a year on the International Dateline, and is considered an expert in the field...and he told me clearly "Hawaii is not a problem. Shabbos is Saturday".

Tokyo, and cities in that region however, are problematic.

Again, as many have mentioned, each person should call their LOR and discuss it. NO ONE should be bashing any person on this forum, or any Rabbi mentioned on this forum, just because you don't hold of him. Keep your opinions to yourself and do what you feel is right and proper.
-Eli

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »
R' Bess from LA told me that if my flight is scheduled for thursday night hawaii time, I would not be able to fly

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
R' Bess from LA told me that if my flight is scheduled for thursday night hawaii time, I would not be able to fly

Well Duh. If he let his people go for Shabbos his shul would be half empty in the winter

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »
why? remember its la were talking about. not frigid winters

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
why? remember its la were talking about. not frigid winters
He's joking of course, but LA does get cold in the winter.
Not 0 degrees cold, but cold enough to warrant a nice jaunt to Hawaii.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »
He's joking of course, but LA does get cold in the winter.
Not 0 degrees cold, but cold enough to warrant a nice jaunt to Hawaii.

I cant remeber the last time I needed to wear a coat on Shabbos when out in LA during the winter. true they look at me as if Im nuts (could be theyre right about that) but back in NY we dont as warm during the day as they get cold at night

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
To whoever mentioned that above. You can always find rabbis for everything, but according to most poskim hawai is out of the question, shabbos is saterday.

where it gets tricky is from the chinas east side (starting at the sea) onwards, ie japan, austraila, and so on.

according to some others, american samoa is precisely on the date line.

I spoke to a frum guy who needed to be there for three weeks, and his rabbi told him (and i know he's fussy) to keep shabbos on saturday, and only de'oyrasos on sundays.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
 wasnt it Reb Moshe who said Alaska was a problem?

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 06:19:18 PM »
wasnt it Reb Moshe who said Alaska was a problem?

If it is, we have a huge problem.

To know why its a problem, answer the following:

Is it possible to drive from Johannesburg SA, till Santiago, Chile?