Topic Wiki

FAQ

How many posts do you need to put an avatar?

Author Topic: Avatars  (Read 178625 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Avatars
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
In computing, an avatar is the graphical representation of the user or the user's alter ego or character. It may take either a three-dimensional form,[1] as in games or virtual worlds, or a two-dimensional form as an icon in Internet forums and other online communities.[2][3] It can also refer to a text construct found on early systems such as MUDs.[4] It is an object representing the user. The term "avatar" can also refer to the personality connected with the screen name, or handle, of an Internet user.[5]
wiki

Offline judahk88

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »
In computing, an avatar is the graphical representation of the user or the user's alter ego or character. It may take either a three-dimensional form,[1] as in games or virtual worlds, or a two-dimensional form as an icon in Internet forums and other online communities.[2][3] It can also refer to a text construct found on early systems such as MUDs.[4] It is an object representing the user. The term "avatar" can also refer to the personality connected with the screen name, or handle, of an Internet user.[5]
wiki
But in DDF it is sort of a profile pic.

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »
+1 Definitely an accepted fact among  all lithuanian jewry for the last 250 years,  it has a very strong oral tradition with halachic implications. It very different than the golem story. 
I never heard, in my community any doubt that he existed.
+1
I am researching this right now and will have some info shortly.

Quote from: Wikipeda
As to why there are few full sources, the Jewish view is reflected as in this excerpt from the Shema Yisrael Torah Network website:

There are a few reasons why there are so few contemporary sources about the ger tzedek story. It can be assumed that the noble Pototzki family, which was a religious Polish-Catholic family, was not happy that one of their sons defected to Judaism. The Pototzki family was said to have generally dealt kindly with the Jews living on its lands. Mentioning the conversion would have been interpreted as an open provocation of the area's ruler, which would have not resulted in any good. In addition, undoubtedly the conversion of one of the upper-class gentiles aroused great interest among the populace, and his refusal to return to their faith caused them great embarrassment ... Nevertheless, we believe the words of our rabbis, which clearly indicate that there was a connection between the Gra (i.e. the Vilna Gaon) and the Ger Tzedek

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
As to why there are few full sources, the Jewish view is reflected as in this excerpt from the Shema Yisrael Torah Network website:

There are a few reasons why there are so few contemporary sources about the ger tzedek story. It can be assumed that the noble Pototzki family, which was a religious Polish-Catholic family, was not happy that one of their sons defected to Judaism. The Pototzki family was said to have generally dealt kindly with the Jews living on its lands. Mentioning the conversion would have been interpreted as an open provocation of the area's ruler, which would have not resulted in any good. In addition, undoubtedly the conversion of one of the upper-class gentiles aroused great interest among the populace, and his refusal to return to their faith caused them great embarrassment ... Nevertheless, we believe the words of our rabbis, which clearly indicate that there was a connection between the Gra (i.e. the Vilna Gaon) and the Ger Tzedek

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »
Here's from Rabbo Jacob Emden also known as Ya'avetz, (b. June 4, 1697, Altona - d. April 19, 1776, Altona) who lived during that period (1749).

מה אירע בימינו לפני איזה שנים בווילנא ראש מדינת ליטא, שנתגייר שר גדול מגזע פאטאצקא ותפשוהו וחבשוהו ימים רבים בחשבם שיחזור לדתם, ואע"פ שהיה יודע כי לא ימלט מעשות בו יסורין קשים ומיתה אכזרית, אם עודנו לא ישוב, והם היו חפצים להצילו ממות ומעונש קשה ומר ממות, שהיה מעותד לו אם יעמוד בדעתו, ולא פנה עליהם ולא לתחנת אמו השררה, לא חשב גזומם, ולא תאות וחשק הנאת עולמם, לא פחד ולא דאג למות בכל היסורים המרים שעשו לו, אחר שהמתינו לו זמן רב , חסו עליו מאוד לכבוד משפחתו, והוא לעג לכל פיתויי הכומרים המדברים אליו יום יום כמנהגם ברוב דבריהם ביחוד לשר חשוב כזה שחק להם בזה להם, ובחר מות ארוך וערוך לפניו עם יסורים אכזרים משונים מאוד, מחיי עולם עובר, קבל וסבל הכל מאהבה ומת על ק"ה, תנצב"ה.
http://jnul.huji.ac.il/dl/books/djvu/1103395/index.djvu page 25B

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
Here's the text

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »
Here's from Rabbo Jacob Emden also known as Ya'avetz, (b. June 4, 1697, Altona - d. April 19, 1776, Altona) who lived during that period (1749).
http://jnul.huji.ac.il/dl/books/djvu/1103395/index.djvu page 25B
Nice!  :)

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »
+1 Definitely an accepted fact among  all lithuanian jewry for the last 250 years,  it has a very strong oral tradition with halachic implications. It very different than the golem story. 
I never heard, in my community any doubt that he existed.
Rav Shlomo Zalman Aurbach had a Mesorah from the GRA, that netilas yadayim shacharis was more lenient after the ger tzedek's death.

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
Rav Shlomo Zalman Aurbach had a Mesorah from the GRA, that netilas yadayim shacharis was more lenient after the ger tzedek's death.
Just curious who says RSZ said that

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
Just curious who says RSZ said that
Halichos Shlomo.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2013, 11:24:06 PM »
I also heard directly from a einikel of the chofetz chaim that although in mishna berura he writes that the whole house is ke'daled amos, lemaseh they were/are noheg not to wash by the bed for the same reason that Rs"z says.

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2013, 11:57:48 PM »
From Wikipedia
According to Jewish tradition, following Avraham ben Avraham's death, the Vilna Gaon believed that the spiritual constitution of the world had become altered in such a way that a Jew was no longer bound to wash his hands in the morning within four amot (cubits) of his bed, as explicitly taught in the codes of Jewish law such as the Shulchan Aruch and other halachic works. Rather, a Jew's entire house would be considered as four amot for this mitzvah. This custom, begun at Avraham ben Avraham's death, commenced with the Vilna Gaon and later became the practice of the Slabodka yeshiva in Europe, becoming today the routine of many leading Israeli rabbis who follow the Slabodka tradition.[5]

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2013, 12:04:05 AM »
I don't understand the connection between the ger tzedek's death and washing netillas yedayim in the morning. Sounds so random.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »
I don't understand the connection between the ger tzedek's death and washing netillas yedayim in the morning. Sounds so random.

We wash our hand because of  טומאה,  his קדוש שם שמים  weakened the כח הטומאה.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
From Wikipedia
The source on wikipedia for it is:
" This story was related by Rabbi Ostroff, posek and student of Rav Sternbuch of Jerusalem, as well as Rabbi Hadar Margolin and the ArtScroll biography of the Vilna Gaon."

Rav Shterenbuch is a direct decendant of the GRA.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2013, 12:31:26 AM »
We wash our hand because of  טומאה,  his קדוש שם שמים  weakened the כח הטומאה.

1/4 reasons, yes.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2013, 12:45:46 AM »
1/4 reasons, yes.
??? That was the GRA's reason according to tradition.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2013, 01:08:58 AM »
??? That was the GRA's reason according to tradition.

Well I should be more clear. The reason we wash hands in the morning is for one of 4 reasons, including Tumah. 
Visibly Jewish

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2013, 01:28:29 AM »
Well I should be more clear. The reason we wash hands in the morning is for one of 4 reasons, including Tumah.
The Gra was more meikel in daled amos halacha, it could be that part is only because of Tumah.

Offline Mimi K.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2013, 02:24:14 AM »
I also heard directly from a einikel of the chofetz chaim that although in mishna berura he writes that the whole house is ke'daled amos, lemaseh they were/are noheg not to wash by the bed for the same reason that Rs"z says.
+1
"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Free Stuff!" 8)