Author Topic: Star Alliance award abnormalities.  (Read 2895 times)

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Star Alliance award abnormalities.
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »

Checking on the ANA tool, you will find plenty of availability on the direct flights with LH between MUC and BRU on May 7th.

The same goes to Aeroplan.

However onepass and BMI will not have place at all on this date.

I've experienced similar problems before between FRA and BRU.

Anyone knows more about it.

(No, I don't believe that Lufthansa gives more awards to one partner then another. By other alliances it is the case)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
Re: Star Alliance award abnormalities.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:32:57 AM »
Funny you say that. Im having a reverse issue.
I was looking for domestic flights using ANA. Im looking for ORD-YOW and on ANA i wasn't finding much for my dates. However on Continental's website, i am finding them. Is it possible ANA would find them if i called them up and mentioned specific CO flights? Or maybe ANA doesnt have access to all of CO award seats?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:39:04 AM by David »

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:34:50 AM »
Funny you say that. I was looking for domestic flights using ANA. Im looking for ORD-YOW and on ANA i want finding much for my dates. However on Continental's website, i am finding them. Is it possible ANA would find them if i called them up and mentioned specific CO flights? Or maybe ANA doesnt have access to all of CO award seats?

if ANA found them, you will be able to get it by them.

Those award seats that require more miles, are typically not available.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
if ANA found them, you will be able to get it by them.

Those award seats that require more miles, are typically not available.

ANA website was not showing them. CO was showing them and they were the cheaper award seats (12.5k)

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »
ANA website was not showing them. CO was showing them and they were the cheaper award seats (12.5k)

If you call they can usually find them

Checking on the ANA tool, you will find plenty of availability on the direct flights with LH between MUC and BRU on May 7th.

The same goes to Aeroplan.

However onepass and BMI will not have place at all on this date.

I've experienced similar problems before between FRA and BRU.

Anyone knows more about it.

(No, I don't believe that Lufthansa gives more awards to one partner then another. By other alliances it is the case)

Funny, usually its the opposite. OnePass often has seats on Swiss/Lufthansa that US Airways/Aeroplan/BMI dont

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 10:19:10 AM »
If you call they can usually find them
Funny, usually its the opposite. OnePass often has seats on Swiss/Lufthansa that US Airways/Aeroplan/BMI dont

This really i funny, I never had CO finding what the others didn't only the opposite.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »
This really i funny, I never had CO finding what the others didn't only the opposite.
They obviously know when Superflyer is calling and become entirely unhelpful  :D
While there are bad agents in every program, when I bump into one I simply hang up and play call center roulette again.

For example with US I noticed that only the women were giving me issues with my crazy routing, but none of the men did...boy did the women get a lot of dropped calls once I figured that out!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:22:30 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »
Funny you say that. Im having a reverse issue.
I was looking for domestic flights using ANA. Im looking for ORD-YOW and on ANA i wasn't finding much for my dates. However on Continental's website, i am finding them. Is it possible ANA would find them if i called them up and mentioned specific CO flights? Or maybe ANA doesnt have access to all of CO award seats?
Is the ORD-YOW that you are finding on CO a non-stop routing (on AC or United)? If it isn't, I reccomend that when checking for availability on ANA by looking up your connecting city as a destination/origin. For example, ANA had no availability AMS-CDG. Neither did United. However, when I looked for AMS-ZRH and ZRH-CDG on the same day, there were plenty of options. It was just a matter of dictating the flight numbers to the United agents and they were typically able to find the award seats on them.

In your case, look on ANA by checking availability to the connection cities.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
Is the ORD-YOW that you are finding on CO a non-stop routing (on AC or United)? If it isn't, I reccomend that when checking for availability on ANA by looking up your connecting city as a destination/origin. For example, ANA had no availability AMS-CDG. Neither did United. However, when I looked for AMS-ZRH and ZRH-CDG on the same day, there were plenty of options. It was just a matter of dictating the flight numbers to the United agents and they were typically able to find the award seats on them.

In your case, look on ANA by checking availability to the connection cities.

Its AC with a stop in YYZ. I tried that. still not finding it. Im going to call them later

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »
I just checked on CO and found multiple flights from ORD-YOW on June 4th. On CO, on UA, on AC.

I checked on ANA and NONE of those flights were available. Does that make any sense?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
I just checked on CO and found multiple flights from ORD-YOW on June 4th. On CO, on UA, on AC.

I checked on ANA and NONE of those flights were available. Does that make any sense?

Like I've said, you need to use CO and ANA.  Neither is perfect.
If you call ANA I'd bet they can find those flights that CO is showing though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »
Like I've said, you need to use CO and ANA.  Neither is perfect.
If you call ANA I'd bet they can find those flights that CO is showing though.

I played around with the option to put in the stopover city and found some of the flights i found on CO.

Now i realize why ANA wasnt originally finding them.
The ones that ANA was finding would have been 17,000 miles for the RT ORD-YOW.

When i searched on my own and put in EWR or DCA as a stopover, it increased the cost to 22,000 miles.
CO meanwhile has all those flights at 25,000 even the ones that stop in EWR and DCA.

I am assuming this is because ANA is calculating the distance i am flying while CO is just calculating it as a standard domestic ticket.