Topic Wiki

Related Threads
Click here for NYC hotels.
Click here for more info on Manhattan restaurants.
Click here for more info on Brooklyn restaurants.
Click here for day trips from NYC.
Click here for 5 Towns/Rockaway Master Thread.

Restaurants

Manhattan
Name Phone                      Address                           Dairy/Meat/Parve    Hashgacha
18212-517-2400      240 E. 81st (2nd & 3rd)M                      OK
Ladino Tapas212-265-6520        940 8th Ave (W 55th & W 56th) OU
NoiDue212-712-2222    143 West 69th (Bdwy & Columbus)D                      NKS R’ Mehlman
Soom Soom212-712-2525    166 W. 72nd (Amst. & Columbus)P                      NKS R’ Mehlman
Mike's Bistro 212-799-3911         127 E. 54th (Park & Lexington)M                            OU
My Most Favorite Food 212-580-5130       247 W. 72nd (Broadway & West End)D                            OK
Bagels & Co.212-496-9400        393 Amsterdam (79th)D                  R' Yaakov Neiman
Estihana212-501-0393        221 W. 79 St. (Broadway & Amst.)M                  Vaad Flatbush
Grill 212   212-724-7455   212 W. 80th (Bdway & Amsterdam)M          R’ Avrohom Marmorstein
PrimeKo212-496-1888   217 W. 85th (Broadway & Amsterdam)M          OU
Kasbah212-496-1500   251 W. 85th (Broadway & West End)M          OK
Alibaba212-787-6008   515 Amsterdam (W. 85th)M               R’ Avrohom Marmorstein
Coffee Bean212-799-1444   200 W. 86th (Cor. Amsterdam)D               KOF-K
Bagel Basket212-721-1800   618 Amsterdam (W. 89th & 90th)D               NKS R’ Mehlman
Kosher Marketplace212-580-6378   2442 Broadway (90 & 91)Take OutR’ Avrohom Marmorstein
Amsterdam Buger Co       212-362-0700        654 Amsterdam (W.92nd)M         R’ Avrohom Marmorstein
Supersol212-222-6332   661 Amsterdam (W. 92nd & 93rd)Take Out     Vaad of Riverdale
Talia's Steakhouse212-580-3770   668 Amsterdam (92nd & 93rd)M          R’ Avrohom Marmorstein
Gan Asia212-280-3800   691 Amsterdam (W. 93rd & 94th)M           R’ Avrohom Marmorstein
Screme Gelato Bar212-663-1362   176 W. 94th St (& Amsterdam)D    NKS R’ Mehlman
Dunkin Donuts212-864-1046   687 Amsterdam (W. 94th)D                                NKS R’ Mehlman
Cafe Roma212-875-8972   854 Amsterdam (W. 101st & 102nd)           D                  R’ Avrohom Marmorstein

Brooklyn

NameLocationTypeHechsherReview
Carlos & Gabby'sFlatbushMeat, Mexican

Queens

???VHQ

Long Island

???

Please add restaurants and activities from the following links:
Manhattan
Brooklyn
Queens
Long Island

Activities

Manhattan
NameAddressKids?Review
American Museum of Natural History     200 Central Park West  New York, NY 10024     Yes     
Bryant Park Ice Skating and Winter VillageYes
Intrepid Sea Air and Space MuseumYes
Macy's Inflation Celebration (see the Thanksgiving Day Parade floats being blown up on Thanksgiving Eve) 79th and ColumbusYes
MoMANo
Times Square
NEW! Samsung 837837 Washington St, New York, NY 10014Yes
Metropolitan Museum of Art (MET)
Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island
Jewish Musem
Guggenheim Museum
Central Park Boating
Central Park Ice Skating (Winter)
Central Park Zoo
Rockefeller Center Ice Skating (Winter)
One World Observatory / Ground Zero
Empire State Building Observatory
30 Rock Observatory
Mini Golf at Pier 25 (Summer)
Bowlmor Lanes 42nd Street
Dave & Busters
Madame Toussad's
Ripley's Believe it or Not
National Geographic Encounter: Ocean Odyssey
NFL Experience Times Square
Hershey's and M&M Stores

« Last edited by @Yehuda on August 08, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »

Author Topic: NYC Master Thread  (Read 511487 times)

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: NYC Master Thread
« Reply #1180 on: December 01, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
Their cost savings is coincidental of course.
I get it just really don't like how there all slick about it.

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 01, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
Their cost savings is coincidental of course.
Doubtful. French fries cost nothing to make. It is just a way to charge more

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 02, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
Thanksgiving Day
Despite the remains of the rain/slush/snowstorm, we ventured out downtown to Bryant Park for Ice Skating.

(not my pic)
This was my first time here and we had a blast! The whole area is set up all wintry with little shops called the Winter Village and yeah, winter is just a cozy, fun time of year. There was a bit of a line to get into the rink (probably 10 minute wait) although there was a fast pass lane, so that's an option (not sure what it costs). Entrance is actually free if you have your own skates, otherwise it costs $15 pp throughout most of the season, and $19 during Thanksgiving-New Years time (actually dates can probably be found online somewhere). Lockers to store your shoes are free, but there are no locks on them. If you want, you can buy a lock from them for $9 or bring one of your own. We bought one from them - oh well. The rink was pretty full, but we were still able to skate around without banging into people. They kicked us off for a a few minutes while the zamboni went around and that was cool to watch. We also saw someone propose to his girlfriend on the ice! Everyone starting gathering around and going ooohhh and clapping. We stayed on the ice for about an hour and then decided to check out the shops.

We shopped around for a bit, picked up a Chanukah present, and then headed back home to get the car to go to my brother in Jersey for Thanksgiving dinner. The Lincoln Tunnel was quite a breeze on Thanksgiving. :) Dinner was great - all the classic foods. After dinner, we went to see Hunger Games. We really liked it, even though others said it was schlepped out because it was broken into 2 movies. We didn't think so, it just didn't have so much action in it. After the movie, we noticed the mall next door was open already for Black Friday - in fact it opened Thursday morning and was going to be open for 36 hours straight (!) so we went in just to Banana Republic Factory Store since we had a discounted gift card from CardCash to spend. Thanks to the sale + extra coupons I found online + the discounted GC and a Gap rewards GC, we got 5 pieces of clothing for just $96. :)

Friday and Shabbos
We headed to NJ once again for Shabbos at my mother. We stopped by Target to pick up the folding table deal that was posted here and got an oil change before heading to my mom. Shabbos was nice and relaxing and then Motzai Shabbos we met up with friends for pizza and a movie on their projector. Nice size screen when it's as big as your wall is! We saw Click which I saw when I was younger, but only now realized what a huge lesson the movie had. It was much sadder watching it as an adult than as a kid. Anyway, I know the last 2 paragraphs weren't too excited for the NYC thread, but hopefully soon I'll get to Sunday @ the Crayola Factory!

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 02, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »
Sunday
We were planning on going up to Vanderbilt/Roosevelt Mansion, but they're only viewable in tours and by the time we got ready in the morning, we realized we weren't going to make the tour times that would get us home at the time we needed to be home by. So, in a spur of the moment decision, my wife was like, "let's go to the Crayola Factory!" And off we went.

I had been there as a kid and, more recently, about 2 years ago with some family, but I knew it could be fun even with just 2 adults going, especially knowing my wife's interests. It was only an hour and 20 minutes from the city, so it was even closer than going up to the mansions. We got there without trouble, found parking a block away and entered the "Crayola Experience" (at some point they took "factory" out of the name).

Entrance was $17.99 for adults and a couple bucks cheaper for kids. They had a coat room at the entrance, and I noticed that people just hung up their coats and left, so I asked the staff if there was a guard at the coatroom or anything and they basically said, "This is Easton, PA. Sure there are guards that walk around the premises, but no one steals anything from the coatroom." lol I took my phone and wallet out of my coat and then we hung them up.
We began the self-guided tour by visiting the crayon-making station. Basically, you get a few tokens that you put into a machine that spits out a crayon and a label. You can personalize the label with your name or whatever and then you roll the sticker onto the crayon. We then visted a tech area where you draw on a tablet and then what you draw gets displayed via projector onto the walls. We then went into the next room where there was a station for just random crayon doodling and then a place that takes a picture of you with a Crayola background and it plays with the image so that you look a bit fuzzy/cartoony. It prints it out in B&W and then you draw on it with crayons. You could then pay to have the image printed onto a tshirt/mug/etc. We opted just to keep the printout. After that, it was time for a live crayon-making show. It was the closest aspect of the day to being an actual factory, yet it was still just a cute and show on how they make crayons. Fun to watch.

The next floor/station had make-your-own-marker machines. These machines also required a token and basically you just hit go and then watch it take an empty ink cartridge, fill it with the color ink that you choose and then see the cartridge slide into the marker tube and get capped and pop out for you to keep. We skipped the next station where, for a few bucks, you get playdoh and can build stuff.

On the next floor, there is a cute little water canal where you can play with toys in the water and watch them go downstream, we skipped that one too. In the next room they had 2-story jungle gym that we skipped and then a station where you could draw on a paper and place your drawing into a puzzle-cutting machine. Cute idea, but the cutter was terrible, and I had to recut the pieces with a scissor at home.

On the final floor, you get a crayon and place it into a machine that melts it into a mold and it forms a few different shapes. Would have been cool, but every time we tried it, the machine did a very bad job and our creations didn't come out too well. There was also a station for taking melted crayon and sprinkling it onto paper to make cool designs as well as machines that would melt a crayon and then spin the melted colors onto a paper to create cool designs.

The gift shop was nice and surprisingly had a lot of cheaper ($10 and under) items. I picked up a bunch of Chanukah presents there for kid relatives.

We had a really nice and fun time! It definitely is a great place if you have a young kid, but even as adults it was fun - especially if you or your wife have a kid side to them!

Awesome Thanksgiving Weekend and, once again, we didn't have to fly anywhere to have some fun!

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 02, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »
Cool, interesting to see a hometown trip report ;)

Offline joeberg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: December 02, 2014, 03:51:52 PM »
Sunday
We were planning on going up to Vanderbilt/Roosevelt Mansion, but they're only viewable in tours and by the time we got ready in the morning, we realized we weren't going to make the tour times that would get us home at the time we needed to be home by. So, in a spur of the moment decision, my wife was like, "let's go to the Crayola Factory!" And off we went.

I had been there as a kid and, more recently, about 2 years ago with some family, but I knew it could be fun even with just 2 adults going, especially knowing my wife's interests. It was only an hour and 20 minutes from the city, so it was even closer than going up to the mansions. We got there without trouble, found parking a block away and entered the "Crayola Experience" (at some point they took "factory" out of the name).

Entrance was $17.99 for adults and a couple bucks cheaper for kids. They had a coat room at the entrance, and I noticed that people just hung up their coats and left, so I asked the staff if there was a guard at the coatroom or anything and they basically said, "This is Easton, PA. Sure there are guards that walk around the premises, but no one steals anything from the coatroom." lol I took my phone and wallet out of my coat and then we hung them up.
We began the self-guided tour by visiting the crayon-making station. Basically, you get a few tokens that you put into a machine that spits out a crayon and a label. You can personalize the label with your name or whatever and then you roll the sticker onto the crayon. We then visted a tech area where you draw on a tablet and then what you draw gets displayed via projector onto the walls. We then went into the next room where there was a station for just random crayon doodling and then a place that takes a picture of you with a Crayola background and it plays with the image so that you look a bit fuzzy/cartoony. It prints it out in B&W and then you draw on it with crayons. You could then pay to have the image printed onto a tshirt/mug/etc. We opted just to keep the printout. After that, it was time for a live crayon-making show. It was the closest aspect of the day to being an actual factory, yet it was still just a cute and show on how they make crayons. Fun to watch.

The next floor/station had make-your-own-marker machines. These machines also required a token and basically you just hit go and then watch it take an empty ink cartridge, fill it with the color ink that you choose and then see the cartridge slide into the marker tube and get capped and pop out for you to keep. We skipped the next station where, for a few bucks, you get playdoh and can build stuff.

On the next floor, there is a cute little water canal where you can play with toys in the water and watch them go downstream, we skipped that one too. In the next room they had 2-story jungle gym that we skipped and then a station where you could draw on a paper and place your drawing into a puzzle-cutting machine. Cute idea, but the cutter was terrible, and I had to recut the pieces with a scissor at home.

On the final floor, you get a crayon and place it into a machine that melts it into a mold and it forms a few different shapes. Would have been cool, but every time we tried it, the machine did a very bad job and our creations didn't come out too well. There was also a station for taking melted crayon and sprinkling it onto paper to make cool designs as well as machines that would melt a crayon and then spin the melted colors onto a paper to create cool designs.

The gift shop was nice and surprisingly had a lot of cheaper ($10 and under) items. I picked up a bunch of Chanukah presents there for kid relatives.

We had a really nice and fun time! It definitely is a great place if you have a young kid, but even as adults it was fun - especially if you or your wife have a kid side to them!

Awesome Thanksgiving Weekend and, once again, we didn't have to fly anywhere to have some fun!
You would write anything not to write up the rest of you Europe TR.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 02, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
Hehe... One day...

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 03, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
Prime Grill or La Brochette for dinner?

Looking for some good sushi and some good fleish.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=20953.0

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 22, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »
@yehuda, would the ice skating be suitable for kids? Are there lot of teenagers etc?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 22, 2014, 09:29:27 PM »
@yehuda, would the ice skating be suitable for kids? Are there lot of teenagers etc?
Plenty. Biggest age range was probably 18-30, but there was definitely a large group of kids and teens.

Offline JayR

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 29, 2014, 02:08:32 AM »
Was at Eden Wok last week:

Pastrami Egg Roll (3.95) - I liked it a lot, even though it tasted 100% fast food
Crispy Shredded Beef (19.95) - ok, nothing special, sauce was good, meat was crispy enough to enjoy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 02:33:55 AM by JayR »
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: December 29, 2014, 02:11:49 AM »
Was at Eden Wok last week:

Pastrami Egg Roll (3.95) - I liked it a lot, even though it tasted 100% fast food
Crispy Shredded Beef (19.95) - ok, nothing special, sauce was good, meat was crispy enough to enjoy

No sure why these are not on the wiki (idk how to insert them) (info came from www.koshernear.me and google):

Abigael's On Broadway
1407 Broadway
Manhattan NY
United States 10018
Phone : 212-575-1407
www.abigaels.com
Business Status : Open
Kosher Supervision : Kof-K
Food Types Available : Meat

Tiberias
45 E. 34th
Manhattan NY
United States
Phone : 481-4222
Business Status : Open
Kosher Supervision : OK
Food Types Available : Dairy

Tevere 84
155 East 84th Street
New York, NY 10028
teverenyc.com
(212) 744-0210

Eden Wok
43 East 34th Street
New York, NY 10016
edenwok.com
(212) 725-8100
There's a separate restaurant thread

Offline JayR

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: December 29, 2014, 02:31:15 AM »
There's a separate restaurant thread

Thanks. Didn't see it since expected NYC instead of Manhattan. BTW are there separate restaurant thread for destination, because until now i would just put restaurant TR posts in the trip master thread? (ex. boston, south florida)
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 29, 2014, 02:43:42 AM »
Thanks. Didn't see it since expected NYC instead of Manhattan. BTW are there separate restaurant thread for destination, because until now i would just put restaurant TR posts in the trip master thread? (ex. boston, south florida)
IINM only Brooklyn, Manhattan, & Queens have separate restaurant threads.

Offline jack

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: December 29, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »
I'm looking for a babysitter one evening in hotel so I can go out for dinner without my baby. Any leads  would be greatly appreciated

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: December 31, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
Staying in park Hyatt tonight, what's the closest minyan?

Offline pharmdear

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Dr chulent's blog
  • Programs: HHonors Diamond
« Reply #1196 on: December 31, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »
Anybody have a direct email for a manager at the St regis nyc?

Also what is the closest minyan?

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #1197 on: December 31, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
Staying in park Hyatt tonight, what's the closest minyan?
there's an app
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: December 31, 2014, 09:47:04 PM »
there's an app
figured New Years might be a little different.....

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 01, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
figured New Years might be a little different.....
Turns out it was a lot different. Almost no minyanim. Ended up going to 5th ave synogauge.